Chef by Design Reviews

91 | Virginia Beach, VA

91 Reviews for Chef by Design

Ashley · Married on 10/04/2013

Chef By Design was amazing. The staff was friendly and helpful and the food was to die for! I did not have to lift a finger during or after the wedding. Joanie Powell was awesome to work with and answered any questions I had. The guests loved the food and the friendly staff!!!!

Sent on 10/05/2013

Bonnie · Married on 09/27/2013

I actually feel emotional when I think about Marcy and Chef by Design when I think back on our beautiful wedding day on September 27th.. I don't throw around "perfect" very often. The catering was PERFECT. I grew up in VB but have lived in NYC the last 9 years, where I was a manager at the exceptional raw/vegan restaurant, Pure Food and Wine. So, good food is IMPORTANT to me: quality of ingredients, flavors, presentation... I wanted NYC standards. And CBD delivered above and beyond. My mom and I pretty much fell in love with Marcy at our tasting. She is just a doll--so sweet and warm and excited about what she does and realizing her bride's vision.. As is Joanie and the rest of her team. The amazing Chef John (Marcy's husband) is SO talented! They have a CRAZY EXTENSIVE menu, ranging from perfectly done and delicious "standards" to super creative, original dishes. I had a ton to choose from, and STILL Chef John created an *INCREDIBLE* vegan entree for us!!!!!! It was magazine worthy in taste and presentation. Everything was! Their staff at the reception were more than polite to our guests--they were happy, warm, and accommodating to all of our dear family and friends, which was SO important to me. They all had smiles on their pretty faces and looked so polished in their sleek black attire. They also made sure my husband and I actually got to eat!! We didn't want a cake so we chose a few different desserts (again, from like a thousand options!) and they were all AMAZING! And, the team packed up three huge bags of food and desserts that were awaiting us in our hotel room! They also did our bar, which was stellar, and set up ALL the rentals for the linens, tableware, chairs, etc. Also perfection. The compliments from friends and family are still flooding in. If you want not only truly amazing food and presentation, but also lovely people who are a delight to work with, hire Chef by Design. You will be so happy you did. And so will all of your guests:)

Sent on 10/24/2013

We booked Chef by Design almost 1 year before my daughter's October 20, 2012 wedding. Throughout this time, we met several times to discuss her vision and do a tasting. They were so friendly and helpful. Joanie Powell was the best in helping us with the rentals, selections, and creative ideas. We received so many compliments from our guests on how great the food and the service were. They really loved the crab cakes and grits and rockfish appetizers-Yummm! Not only was the presentation beautiful, but even more importantly, the food was delicious thanks to Chef John. Their service was personal, their staff was professional and the food was of great quality. We would highly recommend them for any special event.

Sent on 10/22/2012

Kim · Married on 04/21/2012

The Chef by Design crew was amazing. Joanie helped us with so many things! Everyone raved about the food for days after! Joanie and her staff really helped make the party!! She put together a seated dinner for 120 in a tent kitchen at a horse farm and the food was divine! It made it to the table warm for everyone. And as the bride and groom we made time to eat dinner!

Sent on 04/24/2012

Heather · Married on 03/30/2012

I can't even begin to say how amazing Chef by Design was... As soon as I booked my wedding, I got a menu which I was literally salivating over. I picked some of the MOST delicious things I have ever tasted in my life. Had a great experience at my tasting, was able to tweak things and truly customize it to my liking. Working with Joanie was an absolute pleasure! She made the whole process so easy! She was quick to answer any questions I had and let me personalize everything but always had a very helpful perfessional opinion on things... Super thankful for that! ALL of my guests LOVED the food. I'm pretty sure it's the one thing I hear most about now! All in all, i had an EXCEPTIONAL experience!!!

Sent on 08/13/2012

Tyler · Married on 12/31/2011

Cheers to Chef by Design for making our wedding wonderful and absolutely delicious. We brought them the challenge of creating a vegetarian reception menu that would please our palates as well as our meat eating friends and family and they delivered with ease. People are still raving about the foods we served, specifically the mac n' cheese bites, various soups and white veggie lasagna! Yum!
    We also enlisted their services for our wedding cake, which turned out beautifully. They stunned us with a 3 layer creation that shimmered and was stacked with champagne glasses - AMAZING! Then there were the cake flavors themselves - my husband isn't a huge chocolate fan and scarfed down his sample during our tasting in about 30 seconds. Their carrot cake and lemon pound were also equally as tasty.
    On top of all the amazing food, the service and support we received from Chef by Design was top notch. They were there to help through every step of the way, even assisting in selecting and coordinating our rentals. I can honestly say our wedding would not have been the same without them!

Sent on 04/23/2012

Matthias · Married on 10/22/2011

Nothing but compliment on the food!!! It was AMAZING!!!! If you don't get the crab cakes, then you made a HUGE mistake.....they are AWESOME!! And our guests loved them. One word of advise if you get them...get a lot of them!!!
    Joanie, Marcy, and Chef John are all GREAT people and very easy to work with. My wife and I will continue to use them for parties and such now in the future. That is just a huge compliment to their quality of service.
    One common phrase from our guests was, "WOW the food was awesome" and of course "Dude, are there more crab cakes"!!!
    Easy selection as a caterer......They will not let you down, they are the best in town by far. Very responsive and meet/exceed all expectations!

Sent on 10/25/2011
  • Maya

Maya · Married on 10/22/2011

Words couldn't even begin to describe how great Chef by Design is. They completely transformed my wedding into our theme and went above and beyond on anything we asked of them. Joanie was our day of coordinator and there was not ONE thing that went wrong on our wedding day. The food was DELICIOUS, fresh, and presented in a way that awed and impressed our guest. Definitely worth EVERY single penny we spent! I have no regrets in choosing Chef By Design.

Sent on 11/13/2011

D · Married on 10/01/2011

Getting the food right is THE most important part of a wedding. We had 4 events for our son's wedding and each was different. Once we knew Chef by Design was going to be our caterer, we stopped stressing about that! It was a breeze working with Marcy, Joanie and Chef John...actually lots of fun! They handled everything down to the smallest detail. (Their staff was the best also!) The bride and groom and their parents could then enjoy (and remember) all that was happening. The food was amazing and each event had different food and different themes! It was so memorable and delicious!

Sent on 10/20/2011
  • W

Carolyn · Married on 09/16/2011

This catering company is absolutely outstanding in every way. They had to change our plans for a wedding and reception on the beach to an inside wedding at the last minute due to bad weather and they responded beautifully and quickly. The food was perfect and the staff, especially the catering manager Joanie Powell, were great to work with. I recommend them very, very highly.

Sent on 10/11/2011

Patti · Married on 05/14/2011

Chef by Design catering service was exemplary! We hired them for a wedding reception in our home. From the set up of tables and chairs to serving a delicious, well cooked menu to the clean -up, I was completely delighted with their professionalism. The food was cooked perfectly and the presentation was beautiful. Our wedding guests raved about the food! They were so accommodating to our requests and even mopped my kitchen floor before they left and took the garbage with them! I would highly recommend them.

Sent on 10/13/2011

Kelly · Married on 04/09/2011

I cannot say enough wonderful things about Chef by Design! From the moment we met Joanie we knew she would make our wedding perfect. We were greated with hugs and a bright smile. The food we enjoyed during our tasting was delicious and was just as fresh and delicious the day of our wedding. Everything was just as we remembered during the tasting and every guest at our wedding couldn't get over how great everything was. The mashed potato bar was a hit with everyone! Joanie even went with us to help pick out our linens and figure out the table arrangements. Joanie kept us up to date on the seating chart as well as all other details for the layout of our venue. We only have wonderful things to say about Chef by Design. They make sure your event is perfect and that you don't have to worry about anything!

Sent on 11/05/2011

Caleb · Married on 10/11/2010

I recently embarked on the life long journey of marriage! October 11, 2010 was our big day and as for most people we wanted the day to be perfect. I had the luxury of securing Chef by Design for our catering service. I had been to event catered by the previously and had always been impressed with their service and mostly food. Chef John, Marcy, Joanie and the staff went above and beyond to provide everything that we asked and more. You know you have a great caterer when you never even know they are there. They did a great job of anticipating needs before they would arise. The did an incredible job of tweaking our menu to meet our budget requirements. The compliments we received from friends and family were all the same: "It was a such a beautiful wedding, and the food was the best we have ever had!" If you live in Hampton Roads and are looking for catering for any event, I hope that you will choose Chef by Design! They helped make my wedding the greatest day of my life!

-Caleb Hill

Sent on 01/28/2011

Allison · Married on 06/25/2016

We were blown away by Chef by Design from the moment of our tasting. The food was all so good which made it incredibly difficult to narrow down the entree choices - a great problem to have! Joanie, Marcy, and Emily were all super-responsive to e-mails which made my planning long-distance much easier. Emily was especially helpful in recommending other (non-caterer) vendors to us and helping to put it all together. The serving/bartending staff were all very professional and friendly. We loved the flexibility that allowed us to stock our own bar to save some money. And the beautiful s'mores bar was the perfect late night snack for our guests. Thanks Chef by Design!

Sent on 07/13/2017

Erin · Married on 06/11/2016

Emily was a huge help as we were planning. Chef John made a custom dish for us that was out of this world. Joanie made our actual wedding night go perfectly. There were no issues what so every, all the food displays looked absolutely perfect and it tasted amazing!! I hope I get to attend a wedding in the future that Chef By Design is catering:)

Sent on 07/28/2017

Lynn · Married on 09/16/2012

Love, love, love these people! From the first meeting with Marcie to the day of my wedding - everything was done at a very professional but personal manner! They were happy to meet with me and once we established what kind of event - Marcie, Joanie and Chef John did an amazing job! They are everything they say they are! I would not hesitate to cal them again for the perfect catering for sure. Thank you from the bottom of my heart! Lynn

Sent on 09/23/2012

Elisha · Married on 04/12/2012

Chef by Design was fantastic to work with! We had hors d'oeuvres, a seated salad, and a buffet dinner at our wedding and the guests kept commenting on how great to food was (certainly not your typical wedding food). The crab cakes, curried lamb skewers, jalapeno cheddar soup, and garlic peppercorn steak got the highest reviews! All of their food was great and they were wonderful to work with - I would recommend them to any friend! Wish they had a restaurant so we could have their food more often.

Sent on 04/21/2012
  • SarahMarie

Sarah · Married on 05/01/2010

THe food, service and people were amazing. I could not have asked for a better caterer, wedding planner. I miss them!! Every display looked professional and tasty. I am still hearing compliments on the mashed potato bar!

Sent on 06/24/2010
  • Tamica

Tamica · Married on 03/30/2019

Absolutely amazing

On our wedding day Chef By Design provided excellent food (crab cakes to die for) and quality service. They can provide any meal/appetizer you can dream of and will cater you menu to your wishes (our involved a mashed/baked potato bar with all the fixin's). All the tables,linens,chairs, and food were set up and presented better then I could have imagined. The team was professional and all transitions were executed seamlessly. The staff made sure we ate and sent us home with boxes of leftovers at the end of the night. I am beyond satisfied with our experience and would recommend them to anyone looking to have a stress free event with delicious food served by an amazing team. Chef By Design...YOU ROCK! Xo - The Thompsons

Sent on 05/19/2019

Rachel · Married on 05/12/2018

Emily from Chef by Design was absolutely wonderful to work with! She was very professional and responsive, and helped us choose our linens and glassware, figure out our liquor order, and plan our layout. The food was all spectacular and they have a huge selection to choose from! My one complaint is that I worked hard on a specific seating chart, which was not executed by the staff day-of. Overall, though, no one knew but me and everyone had a wonderful time!!! Responsive staff and friendly bartenders, plus great food... would definitely recommend!!! Thanks, Emily!

Sent on 05/22/2018

Jennifer · Married on 09/16/2017

We had catering for our wedding at MOCA in September. We loved our food and got many compliments from our guests about the wait staff being very attentive. Emily helped us in planning and organizing everything ahead of time and did a great job!

Sent on 10/01/2017

Melissa · Married on 07/03/2016

Chef by Design works hard to provide you with the best experience possible, and to allow you to make your wedding personalized through the food and decorations. Chef by Design communicates with the rental company for you, it is one more stress taken off of you, they arrange the pick up, set up, clean up, and return of all the rentals. They also worked so closely with the staff at The Water Table in order to make the whole day run smoothly without any difficulties. They even assigned a server to the bridal party during the cocktail hour (which was AWESOME!!!)

Sent on 07/27/2016

Meghan · Married on 05/29/2016

My husband and I are extremely happy with our experience with Chef By Design! Our guests are still telling us how great their food and service was at our wedding reception. They had unlimited food choices and really created a menu that worked best for us, even changing it a week or so before the wedding. Their presentation was great and showed that they cared how it looked to guests. They even cooked on-site for a fresh taste, eliminating re-heating food for the guests. They worked with us on coordinating all of the rentals. They were very service oriented at the reception, from guests dropping drinks, checking on food, and checking on my husband and me. We didn't have to worry about guests not getting what they needed the whole night. They were even responsive after the wedding when we lost something at our venue. This company truly cares for their customers wants and needs. We would recommend them to anyone and would use them for any event.

Sent on 07/08/2016

Chef by Design's reply:

Meghan~
    It was such a pleasure working with you on your wedding! You are a fantastic couple, and we were thrilled to be a part of such a special day! Congratulations again!
    CBD Team

Cynthia · Married on 09/05/2015

Just wow! Unbelievable food for my unbelievable wedding day. The team at Chef by Design provided us with the most delicious food we could have dreamed of. They are with you step by step creating and tweaking your menu. They are also very professional and friendly. I was very confident in my choice as making them my caterer. My husband and I received so many compliments about the food: we had a cocktail hour consisting of 3 passed dishes, antipasta and fruit/cheese station; 4 choices for dinner; and 3 desserts. Everything was phenomenal!

Sent on 09/20/2015
  • W

William · Married on 05/23/2015

Outstanding service and quality. Would recommend them to anyone for small or large events. They adapted to the specifics we wanted for our wedding and delivered exceptional results.

Sent on 10/08/2015