Cheekwood Estate & Gardens Reviews

38 | Nashville, TN

38 Reviews for Cheekwood Estate & Gardens

Amanda · Married on 05/25/2008

4.2

The venue was beautiful! They were very easy to work with! My original location that I wanted was booked, but they offered a very beautiful alternative that I was pleased with.

Sent on 01/05/2009

Amy · Married on 04/01/2006

4.2

Ceremony held in the Japanese Garden for 25 people. Excellent for pictures also. You can arrange just to have pictures taken here.
    Potential down sides include: need to rent a tent for most locations and few nice hotels nearby.

Sent on 11/02/2008

Kaitlyn · Married on 05/19/2018

3.0

Cheekwood is without a doubt the most gorgeous venue in Nashville, and we are so happy we got married there. As the site is not exclusively a wedding venue, there are definitely a few more headaches than I expect you would deal with compared to somewhere whose primary focus is weddings. We were confronted with unexpected construction at our venue and intrusive art installation around the grounds, so there are some things out of your control. It is also important to note that there will be a LOT of additional fees due to the fact that Cheekwood does not really provide anything except for use of the land. I think it would be very difficult to have a ceremony & reception there for under 50K. That being said, I have no regrets as our wedding was incredibly beautiful, and the staff is really friendly and helpful - for instance, they upgraded our cocktail hour site free of charge without hesitation when it became clear that the construction in the area would not be finished by the time of our wedding.

Sent on 07/28/2018

Janeen · Married on 06/07/2008

3.5

The food was excellent. They offered choices for any kind of food we wanted to have. It was presented well and our guests loved it. The reception room was beautiful. An excellent spcae for the night. There were outdoor spaces in addition to the indoor hall. The room was set up exaclt to my specifications, and I didn't have to worry about doing anything.

Sent on 07/31/2008

Brittany · Married on 05/17/2008

3.5

Cheekwood was an absolutely gorgeous backdrop for my wedding and reception. All of my photographs turned out beautiful thanks to the amazing scenery. I found the price to be very reasonable for a larger wedding. My ceremony was in the Color Garden with the reception in Massey Hall, which was all one price. While all the rentals do add up, they have a great selection, and the quality was excellent. The original person planning my event was very helpful, but she unfortunately had a medical emergency a few weeks before my wedding and another person had to take over my event. The day of the wedding was slight chaos because no one knew where everything was suppose to be set up causing undesired stress, but everything turned out beautifully in the end. The room I was provided to change in wasn't glamorous, but it provided plenty of space. There wasn't a mirror, but I had been warned beforehand and knew to bring my own. You must also use their catering services. I wish I could have had a tasting beforehand, but it didn't matter because the food was quite possibly the best part of the wedding. Overall I'm really glad I chose Cheekwood for my wedding, and I've received many complements from guests.

Sent on 02/23/2009

3.6
      3.0

Cheekwood is absolutely gorgeous. While they're pretty inflexible and not as responsive as I'd like, the setting itself was unbeatable. They know what they're doing when they set up a party. I could not have asked for a more perfect backdrop for our wedding.

Sent on 10/14/2013

Lindsey · Married on 04/26/2008

3.4
      3.5

Cheekwood is absolutely the most beautiful place to get married in Nashville. We had our ceremony in the Wills Perennial Garden and our reception at the Frist Learning Center. Jennifer French Byler helped us with everything from menu choices, tent options, to silverware and napkins. It was a pleasure working with her - she is the epitome of professionalism and truly understood what we wanted. She was also able to provide us with excellent vendor recommendations at the beginning of the planning process. They do require you to use their catering service, but Anne Clayton does a great job, and we were very happy with the food. We wish that we could have had a food tasting before the wedding day, but apparently Cheekwood is not able to provide that service. I was also disappointed that they do not have a room for brides to get dressed in on the wedding day- the room that I was assigned was an old, dusty art classroom with no mirrors or window shades or blinds to prevent maintenance people from looking through the window as I got dressed. Overall, however, Cheekwood was gorgeous and did a lot to make our wedding day beautiful and special.

Sent on 01/04/2009

Stacy · Married on 06/23/2007

3.4
      3.0

While Cheekwood was a beautiful venue for our wedding and reception, it was clear that they were not used to working with a couple on a budget. There were many 'extras' that we hadn't thought about that continued to pile up.

Sent on 03/30/2008

Mindy · Married on 05/12/2012

2.4
      3.0

The botanical gardens are absolutely beautiful, but the staff leaves alot to be desired! Would not recommend this venue for that reason alone.

Sent on 05/15/2012

Holly · Married on 07/08/2017

2.2
      2.0

The venue itself, of course, is gorgeous and I am glad we had our wedding here for that reason. Beyond that, I was very unimpressed. I thought this was a wedding vendor. But in reality, we were left to just fumble and figure things out for ourselves as the staff were quite unhelpful. We were told one price, and then come contract time, were told a much higher price and were unapologetically told that whoever gave us the lower price was wrong. After that, there was really no guidance or help. For the rehearsal, no staff member showed up, and when we called--confused and embarrassed with all the rehearsal attendees there--someone came (points for flexibility there), and implied that the person who was supposed to come had forgotten. On wedding day, we couldn't find anyone in the office to direct us to the dressing rooms (I'm sure they were setting up or busy, but still). So we searched high and low for them ourselves. One of them was quite nice, while the other was literally just a giant room with nothing in it... not even mirrors. Huh? During the ceremony, there were multiple staff members there, which I guess is fine, but I'm not sure why (there was nothing for them to do), and we had been told it would just be the one person who we did need help operating the CD player. No biggie (I'm sure they have their reasons), but we were going for small and intimate so it was just unnecessary. The CD player operation was not perfect, which again is no biggie, but if they had been at the rehearsal longer/from the start, it may have gone better. Basically, a lot of little things that aren't that bad added up and made me feel uncared for and like they had next to zero involvement. I can't imagine that this is the norm given how praised they seem to be as a wedding venue, so maybe since we had a quick small ceremony made us not a priority compared to bigger fancier ones that included receptions that they had a lot to do for. At least they were nice and replied to emails quickly

Sent on 07/19/2017

Abby · Married on 07/14/2018

1.8
      2.0

I booked a photography session at Cheekwood to do my bridal portraits and first look on the beautiful grounds. I was so excited to get all those dreamy pictures...until the plans crashed and burned the week of my wedding. I contacted the events manager a couple days before my wedding to confirm the main drive wouldn't be blocked (we planned to take pictures at the top of the hill on the mansion's wisteria arbor). When I booked the session there was no warning of the high probability of the drive being blocked, in fact they told me to just reach out the day before my wedding. I was shocked when I got back a short email that basically said yes, the main drive will be blocked because we have food trucks on Saturdays and you can park at the bottom of the hill and walk up to the mansion. ZERO consideration for the fact that this was a bridal shoot and I would undoubtedly be in a WEDDING DRESS and likely a veil (which I was). After a couple emails and phone calls back and forth, the best option they could give me was a golf cart ride that was on no particular schedule with no guarantee of events staff being on site (even though my photo session was booked during normal business hours). This was a nightmare for the timeline we were on that day, plus it was July so the thought of sweating off all of my makeup while I waited for a golf cart was a huge issue. I ended up cancelling the photo session all together to avoid the stress and timeline problems.

Cheekwood has to be one of the most beautiful venues in Nashville, but the staff could really try to be more accommodating, or at least empathetic to brides who pay to take pictures there on their wedding day.

Sent on 08/09/2018

Katie · Married on 12/09/2017

0.8
      1.0

Please, please, please do NOT book cheekwood for a bridal or any other photo shoot the day of your wedding!! We had selected a downtown venue and wanted some outdoor pictures somewhere... so why not cheekwood!! We booked it, paid $300 (for 6 people- any additional people have to pay the $20 admission as well), and thought we were all set! Wedding day rolls around and I show up before the bridal party to do bride only pics and they inform me I am not allowed in any of the buildings. That would have been fine except it was 37 degrees outside and windy!! I argued with the security guard for 20 min (completely missed my bridal pics) and he finally agreed to let us use one room in the back for some pics. Overall we were only able to get a fraction of the picture we wanted and they were very difficult to work with. If your photo date isn’t flexible for bad weather, please do not count on them!!

Sent on 01/01/2018

0.8
      1.0

Extremely difficult to work with. During one year, we worked with three different event staffs. They would contradict themselves and changed the contract mid-stream. They did not live up to the contract. They are very expensive and have numerous hidden charges.

It is a very beautiful venue but not worth the hassle.

Sent on 10/18/2014