Charlie Shin Storyteller Reviews

WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2009 Winner

Charlie Shin Storyteller 1
Charlie Shin Storyteller 2

Ashley · Married on 08/09/2014

We hired Charlie and one of his associates to shoot our wedding. I was a big fan of Charlie's work and was thrilled to find out he was available for our big day. He was flexible with our timing and we got some really great shots throughout the event. Overall I had a really good experience with him and his team. We received our wedding album about 2 months after the wedding and were able to pick up our digital images on CD a few weeks after the wedding. Things I didn't love: a little pricey and I was disappointed that although my wedding album had retouched images the digital version of the images we received had not been retouched so I had to have someone else do that later which was an inconvenience considering Charlie is not inexpensive.

Sent on 10/08/2014

Laura · Married on 01/03/2009

Charlie is an amazing photographer and was sure to capture all our special moments in a most creative and beautiful way. His photojournalistic style ensured we had a complete "story" to tell with our pictures, from start to finish, and he worked with us to create an ever so special -- and totally unique -- wedding album that we will treasure forever. Even with an assistant, additional lighting and large cameras, we *never* felt the photography was intrusive. Charlie and his assistant were always respectful and understood that even while the images were incredibly important, each moment was a feeling that could not be reproduced, nor should be interrupted. We were amazed at some of the shots in the close to 1,000 he took, in fact, as we had not remembered him being anywhere near us at those times. Charlie was also flexible in creating a package that fit our needs. The only reason we did not give Studio Kama five stars across the board is that pre/post-wedding communication at times were a challenge. In all, we could not be more pleased that we chose Charlie and Studio Kama to photograph our wedding day!

Sent on 06/07/2009

Laura,

We will improve pre/post wedding communication. Thanks

My mom and I met with Charlie while we were looking at vendors, and immediately felt comfortable with him and were impressed with his work. We booked one photographer for the day, one of his assistants. We were lucky enough to have both the assistant and Charlie show up on the wedding day for our pre-ceremony pictures, ceremony and the group photos afterwards. For the reception we just had the assistant. I am so glad we had to photographers during the ceremony because they caught multiple angles of events. It was also good during the photo shoot afterwards because the assistant positioned the lights and screens while Charlie took pictures; I'm not sure how that would have worked out with only one photographer. I was pleasantly surprised to receive the internet link to my pictures within a few weeks. Looking over them, there were a few changes I would have made, such as keeping the flowers from the ceremony in the background of our group pictures. During the reception, we didn't get as many pictures with other people as I would have liked. There were several pictures when we are looking away from the camera because we are looking at a friend's camera, and I would have liked the photographer to be more assertive to get the same shot on his camera - I was too flustered and excited to think about telling everyone to take another. There were also several people that weren't in any pictures. Overall I am very pleased with the picture quality. However, the website itself is very user unfriendly. It was difficult to pick out my pictures for the album because I had to go back and forth between different pages to look at them closely, and then to choose or delete some. Sometimes the pictures were in order, and sometimes not. And sometimes the site was working and sometimes not. It was very frustrating to go through the pictures. I haven't received my photo book yet so I can't comment on that yet.

Sent on 09/10/2012

Susan · Married on 10/05/2013

Charlie is an artist. His pictures are just beautiful. He captures the mood and feeling of his subject like no artist I've ever seen. His candids and portraits are especially moving, and he captured my wedding day beautifully. He and his assistant took over 1600 pictures that day, it was difficult to narrow them down for the wedding album he put together. Though his price is not cheap, it is well worth it and really a bargain for the quality you get. He travels a bit so is sometimes difficult to reach but I was very happy with his work!

Sent on 05/30/2014

Lauren · Married on 11/08/2008

They were good! They came on time on the wedding day, always responsive to your emails and calls. The pictures were nice too. Some of them are very nice and some of them are ok. I wish they took more pictures of my guest not 1000 pictures of me and my husband :) If that's what you want, tell them a head of time. otherwise two photographers will be around you all time and you end up getting same pictures from different angle. but over all, I am happy with their service and final product.

Sent on 11/21/2008

Kara · Married on 05/01/2008

3.0

Their photography is stunning. I love their work, and couldn't be happier with the photos that I did get. They took over 2,000 pictures. On the other hand, I got only one formal shot of me with my bridesmaids. The couple that I squeezed in of the bridal party were thrown together... So if what you're looking for are beautiful bridal/portrait shots, they're definitely for you. If you want to make sure you get your standard shots make sure you make a list...

They were very flexible with our arrangement, and that was a big plus. They were willing to work with me and what I wanted in my package, and that was key. It's one of the reasons I picked them.

They are also by far the best deal for the money. I looked at over 40 photographers and they offer way more in their package than everyone else at the same skill level.

Sent on 06/12/2008

Kara,

Michelle · Married on 11/18/2006

Sent on 01/12/2007

Michelle,
    Thanks.

4.2
      3.5

I worked with Charlie Shin Photography for my wedding 4/13/13 and overall it was a pleasant experience. I lived in a different state than where the wedding was held so I visited the studio once (nice studio) and our communication was mainly through phone and email. Initially there was a misunderstanding if engagement pictures which we wanted were included in the package, after calling Charlie and speaking with him, that was quickly cleared up.
    They were flexible to work with my husband's schedule and mine which was greatly appreciated. The work was excellent! We had the most beautiful pictures, the album is fabulous and we have a good combination of posed and animated pictures. We received sooooo many compliments on our pictures and some of the shots looked like they came out of a magazine!
    My husband and I were really happy a link to the pictures was ready in such a short time because we were able to enjoy them on our honeymoon and later send it out to family and friends.
    I would recommend Charlie Shin Photography for your wedding or any important event in your life. They are professional, easy going and easy to work with, non-intrusive and you get a good value for the money.
    Excellent photography is not cheap at the same time should not break the bank.
    Decide that you want it, save up and hire Charlie!
    Thanks Charlie Shin Photography for capturing our special day!

Sent on 08/05/2013

Jerry · Married on 06/21/2015

4.2

Working with Charlie has been a pleasure and the quality of his work is well documented in the high ratings and reviews that he gets. He has been professional from the very beginning. On the wedding day, Charlie and his assistant Jae were very flexible. There were no complaints from our guests. Everything you would expect from a professional photography company, it was there. I thoroughly enjoyed them. And despite his busy schedule, he communicates on time and makes time for you.

CONS:
    1. Charlie's e-mails are short and concise; sometimes too short.
    2. My then-fiance was very peeved that she was almost never included in the emails even though she was cc'd whenever I sent an email to Charlie. He only replied back to me. I found this amusing.
    3. I thought the cost was a little high. Nevertheless he is rated one of the top photographers in the DMV.
    4. We received only a few digital copies of our engagement photos in order to make our invitations. Charlie says we will receive everything at the end in a complete package. This is understandable, however it may be slightly frustrating. As of this review, I haven't received our product yet, but I don't anticipate a delay.

Sent on 07/13/2015
  • lpenel

Leslye · Married on 10/11/2008

3.6
      3.0

My bridal party wasn't exactly pleased with Charlie, the photographer. Not sure if it was a language difficulty, but he was perceived as rude by some friends and family. I felt like we didn't have a lot of time for the portraits, and I didn't get as many family portraits as I would have liked. His assistant was very friendly though and the photos that we did get turned out beautifully!

Sent on 10/30/2008

YOU MISUNDERSTOOD ME.

First, I was never rude. When I left your reception place, I told your husband " Congratulation"

politely.

Second, I didn't have a enough time take all formal shots because of tight schedule. Ask your

wedding coordinator. However, I took all shots you asked me on your wedding day.

Third, I covered 6 hours and 30 minutes without extra charge. You got 6 hours contract with

me. Also, you hired on photographer. However, two photographer covered your wedding.

Jill · Married on 10/10/2015

3.4
      2.5
      2.5

Charlie is a VERY talented photographer, and the end product is amazing. We are very happy with both our photo book and our video. The only thing I would say is that, in the interest of getting the best shot, Charlie can be very intense and demanding of his assistants and subject matter. Again, the end product was great. However, our guests said they were sometimes distracted by Charlie and his crew during the ceremony (they were everywhere!) and they did impact the toasts at the reception by moving the microphone. But all-in-all, we were pleased. I would have liked some more candid shots of guests and a shot of each table at the reception, but I didn't think to ask. Charlie does good work but I would be very specific about what you want and what you don't want, as he is extremely creative and can sometimes get carried away with his ideas.

Sent on 05/23/2016
  • stella

stella · Married on 01/17/2009

2.4
      2.0

I regret having hired Charlie Shin to be my photographer. I did not enjoy working with him. It was a very unpleasant experience for me and I am still greatly upset by it to this day. He was rude towards my guests at my Wedding. He called my guests to apologize and I do appreciate that but an apology just doesn't feel like enough. I overpaid for his services. I do not recommend him. I should have done more research on photographers but I did not have enough time to do so. But if you want to consider him, I suggest you get to know him and his work really well before deciding to hire him. He'll probably be nicer to his future clients after realizing from my wedding how important it is to have a positive attitude, kindness, and respect towards the guests as well as towards you.

Sent on 05/26/2009

Stella,

This is not right. I was working extra hours and hours for you to cover more.

At the ceremony, I cleaned up all the chairs to take a family shot. I didn't have to do.

I shouted few times take family shots because no one heard my request.

At reception, I went to almost 90 minutes early and took all the details.

Also, you were behind the schedule so why I asked to DJ to proceed the program
    before I leave. That's is not rude!!.

Also, you also have two other professional photographers took your reception

shots. They interrupted my shooting. As a result, you asked me to call 5 people

thought that I was rude. I called everyone. One of them told me that they didn't say I

was rude. As a photographer, I am trying to listen all suggestions, however, this is

not right.

1.2
      1.5
      0.5
      1.0
      0.5

This is one of my biggest regrets! To start, when I met with Charlie I explicitly told him I wanted non-intrusive photographers and videographers, well that is the exact opposite that happened. These guys were everywhere, and the pictures and videos do not justify them being all over the place. Second, the photogs I was supposed to have kept switching, so even though I requested numerous times to talk to my photog before hand, it did not happen. When the photogs came the day of, I asked numerous times to get certain shots, pictures of my invitations, some with my daughter, etc. Well he did not get ANY of the shots I asked for. He took a picture of my program instead of my invitations, he did not get ANY shots of myself, my husband, and our daughter. We would be all lined up for a good shot and they would get one and have someone cut out of it. Then it gets worst, he promised me he would edit the photos, which NEVER happened. We received the photos back within 10 days, which was awesome, but I would have rather received them back in three weeks had they been edited professionally. We did get GREAT shots of my husband, but that was the second shooter I believe. When we finally received the wedding video, I had to go pick it up in Tysons because he would not ship the video. When I picked up the video, it had the wrong wedding date on the label, a song about DIVORCE when I was walking down the aisle, and the videos kept skipping. It took three different attempts to get a video that wasn't horrible. I even needed to correct proper grammar on how to write a wedding date. When it came to the album working with Charlie was MISERABLE. I am sure he would say the same about me, but I was OVER working with him at this point. He would send me lay outs with floating heads, like WTF?! I would make suggestions about certain pages and he would change the whole thing, not use all the photos I selected, and not want to do what we agreed upon in the contract. I DO NOT RECOMMEND!

Sent on 01/30/2015

Charlie Shin Storyteller's reply:

I am sorry to hear that your experience with us is anything less than excellent. We take feedbacks from our clients seriously to further improve the services we provide. Please feel free to contact me directly if there's anything that we can do to make you feel better.

As an experienced wedding photographer of over 20 years, I use best of my knowledge to best suit each unique wedding in its own way. While we cannot promise you will be 100% satisfied with the end result, on our part we did try our best to work with you by giving you an upgraded album as well as redoing the layouts multiple times at your request.

What we did or did not do in this case, we are very open for anyone to review the quality of the work because I believe the work speaks for itself.

We consistently strive to better our services by not only keeping up with the trends in this fast paced industry but also we want to please every client with a pleasant experience in all angles of the process, from beginning to end.

However, we will not cater to derogatory media as a way of leverage. It is unfortunate that we cannot satisfy 100% of our clients. We are not in the business of responding to allegations, or accusations, no matter how completely misguided, misdirected, or factually incorrect.

We take pride in doing and giving our best expertise to our clients in the services we provide with experience and integrity.