Catering By Design Reviews

64 | Philadelphia, PA

64 Reviews for Catering By Design

• Megan

Megan · Married on 10/06/2017

We had a great experience with Terri Fair and Catering By Design at our wedding at the Michener Museum this past October. They were able to work within our budget while still making the event fabulous and memorable! The evening went smoothly, the floral was beautiful and we received many compliments on the food!

Sent on 02/06/2018

Jenny · Married on 08/05/2017

I'm nearly three weeks out from my wedding at the College of Physicians through Catering By Design, and I still can't believe how amazing it was. The staff that helped us prepare for the big day were amazing, as were the staff on hand the day-of. Liz was our go-to contact person at the College after Diana got us set up. Liz was amazing--I am a nervous and meticulous planner that obsesses over minute details. Liz was there to answer every question and concern I had promptly, while also giving her advice and suggestions along the way. This was especially important for my wife and I as we planned the entire wedding while living in a completely different part of the country. In the end, this meant that during the wedding itself, my wife and I were care-free as everything went perfectly as planned. Catering By Design at the College is a well oiled machine--everything was taken care of and we enjoyed the day immensely.

The venue at the College was everything we had hoped for. Luckily the weather was perfect so we had our ceremony outdoors. Yet we would not have been worried if it was too hot or if it was raining, as one of the reasons why we chose the College in the first place was because their indoor ceremony space is just as beautiful as their outdoor garden. The ballroom for the reception was grand and made for the perfect setting for our party.

As for the food? Amazing. The cocktail hour food was delicious (CBD delivered our food to the bridal suite while our guests enjoyed downstairs). For dinner, we went with three stations: Mashed potato bar, tuscan grille, and a Taco Bar. We were not surprised by how great the food was, as we had gone to a tasting 8 months before the actual wedding date. The cake was super yummy too.

Overall, having our wedding at the College with CBD was a great experience, and we are so happy we trusted the staff at the College and at Catering by Design with producing one of the most important event of our lives.

Sent on 08/23/2017

Allie · Married on 06/23/2017

Catering by design was fantastic to work with. Diana, our event coordinator, was organized, experienced and flexible. We had total confidence in her and her team. She was very responsive to emails and met with us multiple times to go over details. My husband and I added a few additions to the menu and bar to personalize our wedding all of which was done with ease and upfront pricing. The food was so delicious. Not your typical wedding dinner. There is craft and care that goes into everything from the passed hors d’ouevres to the main dish. People are still talking about it! Catering by design is a well-oiled machine. They run multiple events a year, but you won’t get a generic ballroom event. Every detail can be tailored to your desire and the space at The College of Physicians is so fantastic is speaks for itself.

Sent on 07/20/2017

Jean · Married on 06/03/2017

Catering By Design provided the all the details for our daughter's wedding at the Mutter Museum, from helping us to organize the event, providing flowers, to serving delicious appetizers and scrumptious dinner and cake. Guest toured the Mutter Museum during cocktail hour. Service was impeccable, attending to the bride and serving all the dinners promptly. It was more than we could have anticipated, it went so seamlessly. Thank you, Diana and all the staff, to make the occasion truly memborable.

Sent on 06/19/2017

Rebecca · Married on 05/27/2017

Wonderful experience! Highly recommend! Our wedding was at the Mutter Museum / College of Physicians, where Catering by Design is the exclusive caterer. We worked with Diana throughout the planning process and she was there on the big day to ensure everything went smoothly. Diana was wonderful to with - always pleasant, professional, and organized. Diana handled all our food, including tastings, open bar, place- settings for the tables, day of coordination with all vendors, event schedule (ceremony, cocktail hour, reception), ran our ceremony rehearsal, and many many other things. It's important to note that we don't live in Philly and planned most of the wedding remotely (via email and over the phone) and it worked out great! During the wedding, my bridal attendant Tracy was fabulous - I felt like royalty! I dubbed Tracy and Diana the "Ninjas" because any time I needed them during the event for anything at all, there they were, ready to help and anticipating my every need. Our guests raved about the DELICIOUS FOOD, WEDDING CAKE, craft old-timey cocktails, and FIRST CLASS SERVICE. 5 stars! Catering by Design knows how to throw a fabulous party!!

Sent on 06/09/2017

Andrew · Married on 10/15/2016

Dan and Diana were amazing to work with and made our wedding amazing. The food was some of the best wedding food our guests ever had (their words, not ours). The CBD team made planning a breeze and stress free; and more importantly, they made us feel right at home in the College of Physicians and at their home office in Mount Airy. They worked with on two tastings since we wanted an additional option, and we couldn't have been happier with service, quality, attention to detail that the team provided. Sometimes in-house catering teams let quality and service slip a little since there's no competition for the business. This couldn't have been more the opposite with CBD, Dan and Diana.

Sent on 11/22/2016

Jacqui · Married on 10/09/2016

CBD is the exclusive caterer of the College of Physicians of Philadelphia, in addition to other venues in the Philly area.

Our wedding at CPP was a success, primarily due to the professionalism and hard work of Diana, Dan, and Peter. When we first met Diana and Dan, back in December, they walked us through the venue and gave us a comprehensive proposal based on the things we discussed during our initial meeting. Over the next ten months, they worked with us to finesse our meal selections, pick rental items, and develop what turned out to be an incredible event.

One brief caveat about CBD--while other caterers give you a strict per-plate/itemized cost, CBD does things a little differently. Their pricing is more all-inclusive, and includes a range of costs, which may be challenging to someone who has a strict budget and is trying to control costs. However, I believe it resulted in a high-quality experience for both the bride/groom and their guests. One simply has to trust that Dan and Peter have extensive experience in hosting events in Philadelphia, and to let these professionals develop the wedding of your dreams.

Our food tasted virtually as it did during the tastings. Our cake was incredible, and everyone raved about our desserts. What CBD does incredibly well are the cocktail hour appetizers--we observed guests following the waiters around, looking for a vegetable samosa or Cuban empanada! The soup and grilled cheese bar was a huge hit. During our wedding, Gary made sure that my champagne glass always stayed full! He also made sure that our parents were well taken care of. Diana worked closely with catering staff to make sure everything was as it should be, and she did not leave until that was done.

We are incredibly happy to have worked with Catering by Design for our wedding. We've had nothing but compliments about the food and experience everyone had.

Sent on 10/22/2016

We chose Catering By Design (College of Physicians location) for our wedding catering, and we could not have been happier with our choice. The food and staff were fantastic, the co-owner Dan made us feel comfortable and supported and our day of coordinator, Diana, was so helpful and accommodating along the way. We had the opportunity to design our package exactly as we wanted to and it turned out perfectly. Our guests were raving about the location, the food and the party. I would highly recommend this vendor to any bride and groom who are looking for their wedding! Thanks Catering By Design!

Sent on 06/19/2016

Clay · Married on 04/16/2016

Dan Love – I think we are finally starting to recover from a delightful evening! Just wanted to drop you a note saying how much we appreciated your tremendous efforts to make our daughter's wedding a great success. Service, food, and your coordination were just right!!!!!

You all really came through for us. The evening went smoothly, we received many, many complements about both the flowers and ambiance and especially the meal and the appetizers. One very critical beer drinking friend of mine even said we “done good” on the selection of beers!

You all were so understanding/calming/professional – from Peter to Diana to Rae to Angie – and especially to you – thank you so much for your great delivery of what you promised!

Please feel free to use Judy and me for references if any of your prospects want to call and chat about how great you all were and how smoothly a wedding ceremony and reception can run.

Sent on 04/29/2016

Alison · Married on 04/16/2016

Dan Love made my wedding absolutely perfect-- I couldn't recommend him more! Leading up to the day, he answered all of my questions and was able to help us make our food/decor unique and exactly us. On the day of, he was unbelievably calm & had everything under control-- as a result, we had a totally flawless ceremony, cocktail hour & reception. He is the best of the best!

Sent on 12/07/2016

Linda · Married on 11/07/2015

Immediately after we contacted Catering By Design to discuss our wedding, Nancy emailed us. We met in person shortly after that, and were absolutely blown away by Nancy's professionalism and warmth. Catering By Design offered us not only a menu that we knew would appeal to our guests, but took care of every detail, even those we had not even thought of. On the day of the wedding, Nancy and her staff arrived and turned our home into a beautiful and festive venue. Nancy was absolutely right when she said that all we would have to do was 'open the door' to our guests. Every single one of our guests remarked to us on how kind and professional the staff was, how wonderful the food was, and how perfect the service was. They made a perfect day even more perfect. We would recommend Catering By Design without hesitation.

Sent on 11/14/2015

Dan and the whole group at CBD were amazing. They helped us create a custom menu with many vegetarian options for all of our guests. They were super responsive and professional and we couldn't have asked for a more perfect experience!

Sent on 10/06/2015

Sarah · Married on 03/28/2015

I can't even begin to rave enough about he experience my husband and I had with Catering by Design. Dan Love and his team were absolutely stellar -- flexible, accommodating, informative. Completely took the stress out of our day. Our guests were talking all night (and for several days afterwards) about how beautiful the venue and decor was, how marvelous the food was, and how excellent the service was. If you want a fantastic Philadelphia wedding, make sure you use this caterer!

Sent on 04/20/2015

Kris · Married on 02/14/2015

CBD is an unforgettable caterer. They spend significant time getting to know their couples and they craft a menu based on your likes. They don't do tastings until you book and plan a menu, but don't let that dissuade you; the food is INCREDIBLE. All of our guests told us that this not only the best wedding food they'd ever had, but also some of the best overall food they'd had.

On our wedding day, we felt like royalty. We had a staff member whose sole job it was to be sure that we had a drink in our hands and food at our table. It was an unexpected surprise - and made the day all the more special.

Ask to work with Nancy Schwoebel. Nancy is an absolute joy, knows her stuff, and has a great reputation; your other vendors will be happy when they hear her name.

Sent on 02/22/2015

Caitlin · Married on 11/21/2014

Unbelievable service and very very great to work with!

Sent on 12/05/2014
  • Koch Bride

Siobhan · Married on 09/12/2014

I cannot thank Dan Love and the rest of the team at Catering by Design for their impeccable work on our wedding at the College of Physicians.

From our first meeting with Dan during a tour of the venue, he made me feel comfortable and most of all excited about planning our wedding. Shortly after our meeting, I was invited to go to a bridal show at the venue that Dan was catering and Dan treated myself, my mother and mother in law like we were VIPs that day. I was completely sold on Catering by Design from that moment on.

Dan helped make my husband and I an incredible menu for our wedding and answered all of our questions so quickly. We never had to worry about communication with Dan and best of all, he never made me feel like I was bothering him with my questions.

The food is by far the best catering experience I have ever had. There is no need to worry about the typical churned out wedding fare that can sometimes be expected at weddings, CBD knows how to cook for a crowd and your guests will be thirsting for more. The team nailed a family recipe for us which wowed our guests. So many of our guests reached out to us to comment about how impressed they were with the food and service provided.

Lastly, the team also was great with last minute requests. We have a family member who has had recent health issues and was put on a very restrictive diet. Days before the wedding, we were able to reach out to Dan about this request and he took the time to speak with our family member about her needs and put her at ease which is something I could not be more grateful for. Also, my parents contacted Dan with a request to surprise everyone with a cheese steak station at the end of the night which to my delight had all of the Philly fixings.

Seriously, I cannot recommend Catering by Design more. They are worth their weight in gold!

Sent on 09/18/2014

Michael · Married on 09/06/2014

Nancy of Catering by Design is incredible. My fiancé and I first had a phone interview with her when we were considering a variety of venues and we quickly realized that whichever venue we decided on, we wanted her to coordinate the catering. She was agreeable, friendly, helpful, insightful, and always a pleasure to speak with. Catering by Design requires a full deposit before providing a full tasting, but Nancy was gracious enough to provide us a “snack,” which provided a lot of confidence in regards to the quality of the menu. The full tasting also put any of our concerns to bed and made us very excited for the real event. Again and again, Nancy was ever so helpful as the wedding date approached and fielded each of our almost daily phone calls and emails with the answers that we needed and wanted. On the day of, Nancy handled the event like a true professional and even assisted with the coordination of the ceremony. Later, she followed us around with full glasses of champagne whenever she saw that we were lacking. And of course, it’s always so comforting to hear from our guests how blown away they were by the quality of the food. In addition, all of our friends and family with dietary restrictions were given personal attention and pleased with their modified options.

Sent on 01/02/2015
  • User3209224 · 2+ years ago

Peter and his whole team are amazing! I would use them for any event at all, not just weddings. And they dealt with my Celiac Disease particularly well. I whole-heartedly recommend them.

Sent on 08/04/2014

Lindsay · Married on 05/31/2014

The food was SPECTACULAR, but the best part was Dan Love, who is the coordinator for the catering, but who also assisted with organizing the entire day. Because of his calm, warmth, organization and creativity I felt completely comfortable letting him run the day, and never felt the need for a planner. CBD was always responsive and helpful, and I was thrilled with the whole experience.

Sent on 06/18/2014

Rick · Married on 05/24/2014

Just simply the best, I don't know what else I can write here. Dan Love is not a caterer, he's a wedding deity. Every part of our wedding was incredible. The decorations were magical, the flow of the night was perfect. The food was five star, simply delectable. There were never any lines at the bar or hors d'oeuvres stations, and we felt like a king and queen all night.

CBD was incredibly responsive to my wife (wow!) and her constant emails, calls, and texts over the year of wedding planning, and they made the whole experience absolutely perfect.

I would recommend CBD to absolutely anyone who's lucky enough to snag them for their venue, as there's simply no better hands to place the most important day of your life in than Dan Love and his amazing team's.

Sent on 05/25/2014
  • O

Olivia · Married on 05/17/2014

I had a great time working with the CBD team to plan my wedding. Nancy worked with me to create an event that represented who we are as a couple, and never tried to up-sell us. She has a great energy, and pays attention to those details that make an event go smoothly. Nancy was at my side from planning the menu, setting up the venue and helping to facilitate the flow of the ceremony and reception. Her recommendations throughout the planning process were invaluable. Knowing she was there took all the stress out of my day.

Brit from Garnish, built us a beautiful floral arrangement for our ceremony, and offered wonderful advice as I went forward to do some of the florals myself.

The CBD chefs and serving staff are a skilled and friendly group of people. I received a smile and kind word from every staff person I interacted with, and so did my guests. It was a pleasure to have them all at the wedding as they added to the positive vibe of the day.

And the food, let's not forget to speak about the food! This is not your typical wedding menu. The options are wide, and the preparations are exquisite. Everyone ate their full and then some and had a great time doing so!

Thank you CBD for helping us throw an amazing wedding celebration!

Sent on 06/05/2014

Hari · Married on 08/04/2012

Dan and Catering by Design catered and did many more things for our wedding at College of Physicians. Working with Dan was a breeze and he was our de-facto day of wedding planner. Dan handled all the small details so that we could enjoy the day without stress. We and our guests had a blast, the food was delicious and everything went off without a hitch. Before the wedding Dan was always available for calls and meetings on the weekend as we were struggling to define what we were looking for in the wedding. Talking with him, he was very reassuring and asked us questions that got us thinking about the things we needed to decide on. When he asked questions for which we didn't have the answers, he was very non-judgemental and patient, assuring us that we had plenty time to figure out it. Dan and CbD are the exclusive caterers for College of Physicians (a very lovely and memorable venue), which made the decision of finding a caterer very easy. In the end, I can't imagine having a better experience through it all. I would highly recommend Dan and CBD to friends and relatives.

Sent on 04/08/2013

Meghan · Married on 06/16/2012

Catering By Design was the best vendor and best decision we made for our Wedding in June 2012.
    Nancy was much more then a caterer, she was an event planner. She was extremely responsive, willing to get on the phone at any time, and very flexible when we had changes to the menu, seating, special requets etc. I felt confident the entire time that she would handle everything right, make changes and abide by any special requests we had.

Nancy basically ran our event. She did everything. All of the signs, decorative tables, etc she helped arrange and set up. I cannot explain how wonderful it was to have her. As the bride, I actually got to relax as she handled most of the day of preparation.

I haven't even gotten to the food part. The food (appitizers, salads, entrees, etc) was phenominal. We even had another caterer at our wedding, who was a family friend. They said it was hands-down the best wedding food they've ever had. The fish was perfectly prepared, the appitizers were unique enough without being crazy and were all delicious. We even requested specifc changes to the cheese on the salad and all of these aspects were quickly accomidated.

We seriously looked at over 20 different caterers and while CBD was one of the more pricy options it was well, well worth it. Do yourself a favor and spend a few extra dollars to get their service and attention, they are amazing and you won't regret it. Nancy seriously made our wedding, she was incredible.

Sent on 07/12/2012

Laura · Married on 10/29/2011

Amazing food, creativity and decor! This team was incredible. From Day 1, Peter and the team were a huge and integral part of our very non-traditional wedding plan. They worked with us to think through all of the details and and make a field turn into a lovely venue. On the day of our wedding the weather did not cooperate at all, but the team went above and beyond their call of duty to make everything run smoothly and the wedding everything we had hoped for. We could never have pulled it off without them and it was amazing. Not to mention, the food was delicious low key - many guests told us the best wedding food they've ever had!

Sent on 04/05/2012

Patty · Married on 09/24/2011

So delicious! They worked with us to create a customized menu and it was so well done!

Sent on 04/04/2012