Carson's Premier Catering Reviews

126 | Scottdale, PA

126 Reviews for Carson's Premier Catering

Angela · Married on 09/19/2009

The food is absolutely amazing and sooooooo well priced. For the quality of the food, you won't believe the price. By far the cheapest and best caterer around! They do everything, too! They decorated the hall SO beautifully! They also go out of their way for you and make you feel like you're the only wedding they have...that is until after you've already put your deposit down. Then, I felt like their response time was pretty slow, but still an amazing, amazing deal!

Sent on 10/21/2009

Samantha · Married on 04/19/2014

3.5

Charity was spectacular with helping make our event run smoothly

Sent on 04/29/2014
  • Tiffany

Tiffany · Married on 06/02/2012

3.5

Tim and his staff were extremely professional and were able to put our minds at ease on our big day. They set all the tables early the morning before the event and were ready to go early on the day of the event. They were clean and friendly, and the food was fantastic. In fact the traditional Pittsburgh ethnic comfort foods and the fair pricing was what made us pick Carson's in the first place. We really couldn't have asked for a better caterer. And we didnt have to break the bank!

Sent on 06/28/2012

Gretchen · Married on 11/08/2008

3.5

The food was amazing and totally worth the money, which wasn't overpriced. They offer a bridal buffet regularly to allow couples to come and try the food that they offer for weddings. They gave us discounts on additional items as well as made food substitutions for items that were not on the menu we chose. They could improve on their communication with clients as they changed the time of the setup without informing me and I found out through the hall manager. It made some things a little difficult but they were very apologetic and admitted to their lack of communication.

Sent on 11/25/2008

Mandi · Married on 10/18/2008

3.0

Carsons was unbelievable from the start, they were always very professional and answered any question we had. At the wedding they had set the hall up for the tables and it looked beautiful and the food was wonderful, all of our guests commented on how good it was and most said it was the best they ever had at a wedding.

Sent on 11/04/2008

Anna · Married on 11/11/2016

4.2

I have had a great experience with Carson's! I got a discount on my Bridal Shower Venue because I had my shower an reception through them!

Sent on 09/27/2016

kelly · Married on 05/29/2016

3.5

Carson's serves delicious food and is very competent during the day-of, when everything is hectic and something always goes wrong. I got rave reviews about the food and the service from waiters, bartenders and other staff.
    I did have a few minor issues, however. I often would wait days for email responses when I had simple requests. But I think that's partly because they are so popular (with good reason) that they got overwhelmed and forgot about my requests -- none of which were life-or-death.
    My other complaint was with our visit to pick the menu. We scheduled a time and showed up, only to be left waiting for 20+ minutes while Carson's staff attended to other clients. We couldn't even get something to drink while we waited. I feel like it would have been better for someone to tell us during booking that the time we picked was too busy and to reschedule.
    I think most of these problems could be solved by better directing staff, who I always felt were juggling too many things at once to pay enough attention to my questions and suggestions from my fiance and family.
    Overall, Carson's was a great choice for our wedding and they served our guests excellent food. I just think they need to tweak their customer service.

Sent on 07/22/2016

3.5

The venue is beautiful (rustic). The food was great. It is 1 1/2 week since the wedding and I still have people raving about how good the food was. The best chicken ever!

Sent on 06/03/2014

Kaitlyn · Married on 09/14/2019

Carson's Catering

Communication was tough at times but no major issues other than that. Staff was friendly, food was great and affordable packages were offered. I would use them again.

Sent on 09/16/2019

Brittany · Married on 11/09/2013

4.2

Carson's did a wonderful job catering and helping to plan out the evening of my reception at the Barn at Ligonier Valley.

Sent on 12/30/2014

Shannon · Married on 05/19/2012

4.2

Carson's was very helpful and flexible. They worked with us to get all the details just right and helped us have a wonderful meal that was within our budget.

Sent on 06/06/2012

Jennifer · Married on 12/03/2011

3.5

Overall the experience was positive. Had difficulties with staff turnover and information not being passed on to others taking over, i.e. phone messages, emails, and agreements made about the event. My vegetarian guests did not get the vegetarian meals that were promised. The head table was not served enough food.

My guests loved EVERYTHING about the food, the decorations, the set up... EVERYTHING. The food is exceptional, and I am sure my experience would have been much better if it weren't for the turnover of staff.

Sent on 01/29/2012

Jennifer · Married on 10/12/2013

3.0

My experience with Carson's was generally good, but with a few large hiccups that would lead me to not recommend this vendor to others. My husband and I got married in October 2013 at Stonehenge Lodge, and Carson's is the exclusive caterer there. Tim Carson and Kelli were very responsive and helpful at first. However, much of what we agreed to and communicated to Tim and Kelli either wasn't communicated to Beulah, our day-of coordinator, or maybe it was communicated and it just wasn't well-executed.

We confirmed upon signing the contract that we would have the fireplaces running at the reception. We double-checked about a month out. So the day before the wedding, our day-of coordinator says that she doesn't know if there is firewood available and she has no idea where they would get some. So I spent part of the day before my wedding going to Lowe's and buying firewood.

Another example: we requested creative hors d'oeuvres, which were priced the same as the highest priced hors d'oeuvres on the caterer's menu, which seemed fair to me because they were custom. Three of the dishes were very good. For the fourth, I requested mini baked potatoes with sour cream and bacon. What we got was a pile of boiled new potatoes with a bowl of sour cream next them. Did they really think that was what we wanted, and if so, did they really think we wanted to pay top-dollar for that?

We made a sangria for our "signature drink". We actually cut up the fruit, added the liquor, and made the base. The bartender was to add the wine, and then add some club soda to the glass when serving. We emailed the "recipe" twice and put post-its on the wine/sangria container itself. Well, she added the wrong wine (there were only two) and she didn't add the club soda at all.

Finally, we paid Carson's to rent an archway. It was in the basement of the venue. I arrived ready to walk down the aisle and there was no archway.

The rest of the food was good though.

Sent on 01/23/2014

Tammy · Married on 06/18/2011

2.0

The food and service were GREAT. The only thing that disappointed us was the fact that when we got to the hall, we noticed several of the tableclothes had holes in them and they were kind of too small for the tables. The holes were hard to hide because they were in random spots on the top. Also, the fold marks were VERY noticeable. Other than that, we all loved the food. I would recommend them over anyone else!!!

Sent on 07/04/2011

3.8
      3.5

While working with Carson's Catering, I enjoyed the numerous amount of food and dietary options. There are several different types/styles of food preparations, and the company is very easy to work with. I will say that at times, I thought the caterers let the food get a tad cold. But they were nice enough to work with me and my demands. Very flexible group with tons of options. Very cleanly and awesomely decorated trays, etc!

Sent on 04/23/2014

Stephanie · Married on 08/15/2015

3.8
      3.5

Carson's did an alright job at our wedding, but didn't exceed my expectations. The pros are: the food-the food is delicious! Also the caterers served the wedding table so we had a chance to eat! They set up the cookie table nicely.
    The cons are: Not all the tables were completely set up as requested by the Thursday before the wedding. The tables were all there, but the head table (which I wanted to finish decorating myself) wasn't set up. I don't think they finished the head table until the morning of my wedding day, so I never got to finish decorating it the way I wanted, but it still turned out ok. A big con was that the groom's parents paid for a champagne toast the week before the wedding, and Carson's said it wouldn't be a problem to have that all ready for the wedding. When my parents arrived at the reception, the caterer said that we only paid for the glasses, not the champagne, and that they didn't bring any champagne. My mother had to have a discussion with the caterer and explain that the invoice was in fact for the champagne and the glasses. One of the caterers ended up going out and buying champagne right there about 1/2 hour before the reception started. We were happy they made it right, but that caused unnecessary stress that evening. I would also agree that Carson's was not very responsive to emails about 2 weeks before the wedding. It took them 3 days to respond to my emails.

Sent on 08/26/2015

3.6
      1.5
      2.0

Carson's has amazing food and very nice employees. They were hard to get a hold of. I went through 4 different emails for them through out the whole process. Our wedding day was perfect though and the staff were amazing.

Sent on 06/09/2015

Elizabeth · Married on 11/05/2011

3.6
      2.0

Tim, the director at Carson's was really great to work with, he was very professional and helpful.

Would not recommend the "green beans almodine"-they were green beans from a can.

I am recommending this vendor but I would strongly advise that you do your research and taste the food before making any decisions. Our friend used Carson's for a buffet for their reception-it was very good. We, on the other hand, had a sit down and seemed to come accross some quality and value issues. If you are looking for a buffet I would recommend. if want an elegant sit down dinner, I would not.

Sent on 11/13/2011

Larissa · Married on 09/23/2017

3.4
      2.5

I used West Overton Barn for my wedding and by default had to use Carson’s for catering. The staff in charge of coordinating and booking were excellent (Dana & Beulah) & I absolutely loved them. They answered all my crazy emails and phone calls and never complained. However, the other staff I had encountered leaves a bit to be desired. When I went for our tasting, we were led to a public buffet and told to get some food. I found this to be frustrating knowing that there were selections on the buffet that were not on the wedding menu. The head chef saw my disgust and came out and explained how things worked and what I had to choose from, allowing us to narrow down selections. The DAY OF the wedding, Sondra was assigned as my wedding coordinator. I had never spoke with her on the until that day when she called to go over some “last minute details” at 8am. Not just minor things, they included but not limited to setting up an extra table (that I had told her was missing the day before), moving the buffet to allow for the first dance to occur (explained at the tasting in March) and all also having additional space to chill the alcohol. I felt things like this should have been handled earlier. When my husband and MIL arrived at the venue for some last minute prep, Sondra continued to display her “winning” personality. She insulted my MIL and her sister by commenting that she didn’t know people from Mississippi could pour tea so well, and that she would need to “test” the tea to make sure it passed her test. When my husband asked about the coolers for chilling the drinks, she brushed him off and said she didn’t have time for that and would get to it. She then proceeded to ask “what are you the bartender or something” He politely informed her that he was in fact the groom and the other person she just insulted was his mom. The rest of the day was well, food was great but staff needs some customer service classes.

Sent on 10/09/2017

Carson's Premier Catering's reply:

Larissa, we are incredibly sorry and surprised to hear this feedback! We absolutely loved working with you, and we certainly wanted your wedding day to be perfect! This is definitely something we will discuss with our staff, and we appreciate your kind words otherwise. Best wishes to you!

Anna · Married on 06/03/2017

3.5

We absolutely fell in LOVE with West Overton Museum after Tim Carson personally gave us a tour of West Overton and Stonehenge on Labor Day weekend---much appreciated! Here is our takeaway:
    CONS:
    - We asked, upfront, if we were able to select a caterer of our choice for the venue---we were initially told yes (and the West Overton staff told us this as well), but Carson's, after we were committed to the venue, stated that we were obligated to choose them.
    - Communication with the staff is very disjointed and frustrating. This was probably the most upsetting part of our whole wedding planning process. Somehow they no longer had our signed contract three weeks before the wedding, and I was forwarded a blank contract, with none of our "extras," guest number, or anything else filled in---Carson's told me to sign it and send back— I was asked to send back the blank contract and I responded THREE TIMES before it was resolved.
    The staff needs to be better directed and coordinate more efficiently---oftentimes I would get emails or phone calls to confirm information that I had already discussed and decided with another staff member.
    - Carson’s misplaced our grandparent’s almost-70-yr old wedding topper box delivered with the cake; a bit disappointing.
    - Our cake (two tiers) that was leftover was put into a dirty refrigerator for us to pick up the next day---it was not wrapped or packaged in any way.

PROS:
    - The food was VERY tasty, and the one hostess who served us at the sweetheart table (I regret not being able to recall her name) was incredibly accommodating.
    The bartenders were AMAZING — no one waited in line and we were served delicious drinks all night long.
    we were able to set up for our wedding Thursday AND Friday night—we had complete run of the place to set everything up—thanks, Beulah!
    The guests thought everything was great—so from THAT perspective, Carson’s delivered.

Sent on 06/25/2017

Carson's Premier Catering's reply:

Anna, we are so sorry to hear that we let you down with communication. We greatly enjoyed working with you, and we are happy that you feel that we delivered on your wedding day! We are the exclusive caterer at the Barn at West Overton, but you may use other caterers if you just choose the Overholt room- that may have been the source of the confusion. Once again, we apologize for the experience, and we are so glad that we were able to be a part of your special day.
  • Mari

Mari Christine · Married on 06/27/2020

3.0

Good caterer for large venues

This vendor was easy to set everything up with. The were professional and to the point. The prices were extremely reasonable and the food was great. The only problem was that they were difficult to get a hold of sometimes.

Sent on 01/27/2019

2.0

I've had Carson's catering food at previous events so I thought I would try it for our wedding. My experience with the office staff is like a revolving door! As soon as I got comfortable with someone, they are no longer there. I had to review my file numerous times to ensure it was correct. They had a mixup with the food menu serving stuffed chicken breast instead of chicken Romano. The linens are pretty wrinkled and stained. The service was decent but some of the vegetables on the buffet were warm but definitely not hot. I had a few no shows but there definitely wasn't enough extra food to cover the amount of people we paid dinner for.

Sent on 08/07/2014

Katie · Married on 09/28/2018

1.8
      0.5
      1.5

I was recently married, and Carson's managed the venue that I chose- so I had no other option. Recently, my venue took back over managing their weddings due to the poor customer service from Carson's. From the very beginning I had issues with them. Their lack of responsiveness is truly amazing. For working in the customer service business, you would think they would know the importance of prompt responses. I would have to e-mail three, sometimes four times to get an answer. Also, my questions often went unanswered. When I did get an answer, it was like I was a bother, or annoyance. Answers were short, no greeting or signature.

Day before my wedding, I reached out to make sure my venue was prepped and ready so I could come in, and start setting up. We arrived to incorrect plates, only 3/4s of the napkins being there, and 240 chairs stacked in the middle of the room. It took them hours to come back to fix the plates. Since I had limited time to get things set up before having to get ready for the rehearsal, I had no choice but to stack 240 plates, and unstack and add cushions to 240 Chivari chairs. They charge service tax on every item you get through them- napkins, chairs, etc. Which is ridiculous considering they didn't even take care of setting the chairs out. Our ceremony chairs were finished being set up TWENTY MINUTES before guests arrived, and my family had to help them put out our cookies on our cookie tables.

I will say, the food on the night of our wedding was PHENOMENAL. The servers were so accommodating, and got us whatever we needed. The bartenders were also very friendly and provided great service all night.

The management at Carson's needs to step it up. They either need to hire more people to help if they are truly that busy, or the people who are currently handling their customer service need re-trained on how to do their jobs. For what we paid them, it was 100% not worth it and I would never use them again.

Sent on 10/02/2018

Brittani · Married on 08/10/2018

1.6
      1.0

This company makes a solid effort trying to come off as professional, but at the end of the day they don't care about any more than the money coming in. The food was good, the venue is beautiful, and they are affordable - If that is your only concern, go with them, but if you are looking for a vendor that cares about making everything right and executed smoothly, do not!

An irreplaceable family heirloom was stolen from me out of Waterwork's "Secure, private room" that was supposed to be only available to the wedding party, but was unlocked by an unnamed employee for whatever reason. Although it takes a certain type of person to steal from a bride on her wedding day, the proceeding course of actions (or lack there of) by Waterworks/Carson's Catering was beyond unprofessional.

We received the run-around by most employees that had answered the phone regarding the bouquets. We left several messages that were never returned. They only called us back after we made it clear the police were going to be involved. We even received a comment from another unnamed employee "I don't see what the big deal is, it's just a bouquet"… I don't understand how that could be anyone's attitude working in the wedding industry. Their security camera was "not working properly that day and the footage was fried" - how convenient.

In the beginning, you will be lead to believe you will have one person throughout the entire process. That person will not be the same person that sits with you during the food testing, answer your questions, or be there day of. I received a text message from my "Wedding Coordinator" just a few days prior to the actual wedding to inform me they were the one handling my event. Since when? They asked for details again that I had already provided to another employee, and things were still forgotten. There is a degree of unprofessionalism with this company that I didn't think could exist with a Wedding Venue.

Sent on 08/25/2018
  • User4201234 · 2+ years ago

1.4
      0.5
      0.0

If you want your wedding to go smoothly, go elsewhere. The food is great, other than that, you cant count on anything this vendor says. Make sure you get everything in writing.

From the first look at possible venues, up to the wedding day - everything was a hassle.

Sent on 06/25/2014