Carolina Cupcakery Reviews

112 Reviews for Carolina Cupcakery

Lacey · Married on 02/14/2015

4.2
      2.0

Carolina Cupcakery baked our wedding cake and cupcakes. We had a great time during the tasting process. It was tough deciding on one flavor as there were too many delicious options. We ended up picking multiple flavors for the cake layers and the cupcakes. The cake was delivered on time and everything was as promised! During the tasting and initial meeting we brought in a picture of what we wanted the cake to look like. I will never forgot that cake image that I ripped out of the magazine. On our wedding day I was surprised when I saw the cake they baked and decorated because it was an even better version of the picture that I brought them! The frosting had this beautiful glitter in it and the cakes/cupcakes tasted even better than I remembered. The decoration on our cake was a prettier and more elaborate version of the decoration in the picture I had brought them. I was extremely happy with their creativity. The only reason I didn't give them 5/5 is because I think they could improve on their telephone responsiveness. It is very hard to get in contact with them. I imagine that this could be a sign that they are doing well. Maybe they just need to hire a receptionist. Still, as a bride who was working full time and planning her own wedding, I did not like having to wait for a return call. My impatiences aside,I would recommend Carolina Cupcakery to any future brides and I would definitely use their services again! Beautiful wedding cake & cupcakes!

Sent on 03/01/2015

4.2
      2.5

Carolina Cupcakery provided wonderful service. They delivered our cake on time and were extremely professional. At times, it was difficult to reach the wedding team. They have been very busy this wedding season. I would not recommend them for a gluten free cake. Our wedding cake was delicious but looked nothing like the picture that we gave them. Gluten free cakes are really tricky I am sure. I am grateful for their effort but we did not get what we expected. Nevertheless, everything else was great!

Sent on 07/12/2014

Tim · Married on 08/16/2014

1.5

Price of $2 each for mini cupcakes for 200 cupcakes which was higher than the price per single cupcake due to "event pricing" was a "bit" over the top. I would've expected a bulk order to come down in price instead of going up. Other than that, everything was perfect. Delivery on time and the best cupcakes I've ever had!

Sent on 09/29/2014

Justine · Married on 04/13/2012

3.0

Delicious cupcakes. Very friendly and willing to do what you want. Would use again.

Sent on 08/27/2012

Misty · Married on 09/29/2012

3.8
      3.0

I loved the cupcakes, they were really a hit at the wedding. At first they were really good to work with, they sat down and really were patient and helpful with picking out the whole cupcake setup. They were just opening this new store in Manteo so I sort of understand but they lost our final payment check and was sort of a hassel in the end. I would just reccommend they get a little more effecient on business between the Chesapeake store and the Manteo store. Overall teh cupcakes were outstanding!!!!

Sent on 11/20/2012

Keisha · Married on 05/03/2014

3.2
      3.0

Their customer service was o.k. One of my bridesmaid was running behind and they delivered my cupcakes to the venue as a courtesy, which was very nice. However, guests stated that the cupcakes did not taste fresh so many of my guest did not eat them. I can agree they did not taste as fresh as they did when we went for our tasting. Also, I requested flowers on the top jumbo cupcake and was not as discussed.

Sent on 07/20/2014

2.5
      3.0

Had a cupcake wedding tower ordered. The cupcakes were amazing especially the carrot cake flavor. The planner assigned was nice. However, you could tell by the response time they were busy and sometimes it took days to get back to me. I was told if we picked it up instead of paying for set up they would give instructions on how to set it up. That did not happen. The store employees were not on the same page as the planners.

Sent on 09/22/2014

2.4
      3.0

I ordered jumbo cupcakes to be individually packaged for my gluten free guests to take with them as a wedding favor. What I got was regular sized cupcakes not packaged at all. We ended up having to go to Michaels on the morning of the wedding to buy cupcake boxes. We received a refund for the difference and an "oops sorry" from the staff for "not checking the order out before releasing it" on the morning of the wedding. It was very disappointing to see these little cupcakes and we felt a bit embarrassed to give out something we were not happy with.

Sent on 06/04/2014

2.4
      3.5
      0.5

I will start off with the good. The cupcakes and the anniversary cake on top were delicious and we got a lot of compliments on them. They came exactly as ordered and looked beautiful. Picking the cupcakes up was easy and went exactly as planned.

The bad. Communication with this company was horrendous. In the initial stages I had a very hard time getting ahold of the right person. After about a week, I was finally able to get in touch and was met wiith a number of excuses that seemed legitimate. We went ahead and ordered with them, having read a number of positive reviews and accepting the excuses.

At one point in the planning process, communication was good. I was able to get a few questions answered and mailed the materials (specific ribbons, pictures of what we wanted) to the company. After that I never heard from them again until the week leading up to the wedding. I tried numerous times to confirm that the package I mailed had been received, to confirm the final order and make the final payment. After leaving voicemails and emails and hearing nothing, I called the general store number and was told by the girl that the wedding department was very busy because May is a busy wedding season. At this point my wedding was less than a week away and I hadn't heard from them in over a month.

After a nasty-gram email from me and an angry phone call from my now-husband, we did hear back from the wedding planner. Again, were met with a number of excuses on why they hadn't been getting back to us.

I understand that a company or individual cannot be available to answer calls or emails at all hours of the day for a bride, but when multiple business days (even weeks) go by without responding to your clients inquiries, there is a level of professionalism that is lacking.

The epitome of unprofessionalism came when the representative at the company hung up on my husband.

Sent on 05/26/2013

Kiersten · Married on 05/26/2018

2.2
      2.0

We ordered our wedding cake from them. They were great through the planning process. However, they were extremely late with the cake. It was at-least an hour late and almost wasn’t there for our reception. Also, it tasted old. The cake did not taste fresh at all and it was dry. It was not worth the $600 we paid for it AT ALL. We each had one bite (the bite we fed each other) and had no desire to eat any more.

I understand things happen, people are late at times. However, they should have planned ahead for traffic—they are supposed to be professionals and should understand the importance of being punctual. No one was answering the phone that day when we were trying to figure out where our cake was. And there is no excuse for the way the cake tasted—NOT FRESH.

Sent on 05/30/2018

Carolina Cupcakery's reply:

Cautionary tale! We hate to disappoint our couples (and it doesn’t happen often) but your wedding day is very important to us.

#1 ALWAYS do a taste test if you’re dealing with food allergies. We baked a fresh, beautiful gluten free cake that was never sampled in advance. Gluten and nut free products have a different texture than regular cake. Your guest’s safety is the objective.

#2 If your venue is down a dirt road in the middle of the woods it will take your guests and vendors longer to get there. Plan on it.

#3 Brides need a “day of” contact for vendors. We messaged the bride that we would be 15 minutes late, as soon as we turned down the dirt road with the 3 tier cake. Text messages are not a priority on your big day. Let someone else be in charge.

#4 Don’t buy in to bridesmaid drama. We arrived 15 minutes late and 30 minutes before the reception. Brides do not need the “drama” of someone feeding them misinformation during the ceremony. It’s just wrong to tell the bride her cake is missing.
  • User2732054 · 2+ years ago

1.8
      2.0

This business came very highly recommended, but we were very disappointed by the final product. We asked for a simple, white,fluffy finish to the cake and cupcakes. What we got was dry cake with a crunchy, over sweet frosting. Even the kids at the wedding left their cupcakes half eaten. Guests chose to eat the biscuits from the caterer over the cake.

Sent on 10/23/2012

Alexandra · event on: 10/24/2018

0.4
      0.5

Horrible!!! BUYER BEWARE!!! We did a gender reveal 12 count cupcakes. We paid $44 and they were the plainest thing I have ever seen. White cupcake and white frosting! That's it nothing to show it was for a gender reveal!! We had to purchase decorations ourselves. We were told by the manager that people have complained about the decorations so they don't do anything! They also returned our envelope sloppy! the confetti that the doctors office put in it was retaped on the outside. It was taped well so there was NO WAY that it spilled our after being taped as the manager accused my husband of shaking it! So it was ruined for me when I saw this. When my husband went to bite into his he saw pink around the rim of the frosting. The excuse for this from the manager was that the frosting had expanded! I have never ever heard or witnessed this. I bake from scratch even my frostings and I have never seen this happen! Ridiculous! Everything my husband was telling her she had a come back! Not to mention the driest cupcake we have ever eaten and it just crumbled in your hands. So, needless to say there was no surprise on either my behalf or my husband's. So this is what our memory for this event ended up being. A HUGE disappointment and not even an appology! And when he called to let them know what had happened there was nothing but excuses with us to blame for the mistakes. Horrible customer service! Bad bad business and bad bad cupcakes! Surprised that they are still in business! I will never return nor recommend!

Sent on 04/17/2018

Carolina Cupcakery's reply:

1) this is not a wedding review
    2) the customer accepted a refund
    3) the photo clearly shows “it’s a boy” and (pink frosting) means they are having a girl.
    We are very sorry that the customer was disappointed but there are clearly more
    Things wrong here, than the cupcakes.