Caribbean Catering Reviews

Caribbean Catering 3
Caribbean Catering 4
Caribbean Catering 5

Jorjena · Married on 04/05/2014

Debbie Pierog is the best of the best in Islamorada! When we informed every other vendor we arranged in Islamorada, their response was that we had hired the best. They weren't kidding! Her food was top notch, her staff very professional, her attention to detail impeccable, and her contacts and recommendations the best. She works with you long enough beforehand to gather all necessary details and it all came out flawless. If there's something you forget, she can figure it out. If you can book early enough to get her or, consider changing your date to one where she is available; you won't be sorry. There's a reason she is hard to book if you wait too long. She truly is the best choice. We could not have been happier with her food for the rehearsal dinner as well as the ceremony. Our guests raved about the food and her tables and buffet set-up!

Sent on 04/14/2014

Sam · Married on 12/08/2012

Debbie and her team did an amazing job with organizing everything for my wedding. From the food to the set-up everything was beautiful and professional. They really care about making your day special and provide eexcellent recommendations for vendors as well. Thank you Debbie!

Sent on 01/08/2013
  • Dijna

Dijna · Married on 06/09/2012

Debbie was fantastic! She has tons of experience and has done weddings at almost all of the venues I looked at. Everywhere I went they recommended her, with good reason. Debbie is organized, professional and knows every aspect of the business. She can help guide you when you are unsure of what to do or how something will turn out. She is almost always available and returns call promptly. If you are having a wedding in the keys do yourself a favor and give her a call.

Sent on 06/19/2012

Roberta · Married on 10/27/2012

We planned our Islamorada wedding from New York, with only one visit to meet Debbie of Caribbean Catering. She was amazing. I'm incredibly type A and was worried about not having so much control since we were far away. Everyone in town will tell you that you're in safe hands with Debbie, which is 100% true! They are complete pro's and obviously really know the ins and outs of a wedding in Islamorada. The food was also incredible, we had a lot of compliments! I've read reviews regarding their flexibility, and the only thing I'll say is if Debbie's not flexible on something, its because she know better!! My wedding went off without a hitch and they were very easy to work with especially from so far away!

Sent on 11/12/2012
  • I

Amal · Married on 05/03/2008

3.5

Caribbean catering was extremely professional and flexible. Debbie was very helpful both leading up to and during the wedding. We didn't worry about a thing on the wedding day--carribean catering had all the details of the ceremony and reception under control. Because Caribbean Catering provided us not only with food, set up, clean up, and wedding day coordination this vendor was the priciest. Because Debbie and her team did such an amazing job, however, we felt that this money was well spent.

Sent on 05/17/2008

Annie · Married on 03/01/2008

Debbie and her staff were awesome. She helped my dream wedding come true! She went well out of her way to help us. We planned a destination wedding and when we got there the resort was under construction. So without missing a beat I was in Debbie's car meeting with all the available resorts, house etc. With in 24 hours we had a dream destinations and all vendors moved. It was amazing! The food and decor was great. Even our families ALL loved the food. A big victory! Everything was in more perfect than I expected. I would not hesitate in using Debbie and Caribbean Catering again. In fact we are already talking about reunions down in the keys for years to come with Caribbean catering to host!!

Sent on 06/03/2008

Joshua · Married on 05/22/2005

The staff at Caribbean Catering was all extremely helpful. We got exactly what we had in mind, and everything tasted great. Not only did everyone on the staff do their jobs, but they did everything a step above the requirements. Thank you Caribbean Catering!

Sent on 06/07/2010

Doug · Married on 10/20/2012

Caribbean Catering managed the majority of our destination wedding at Ocean House in Islamorada on 10/20/12. They were responsible for all the food, bar and waitstaff, tables/chairs/linens, and setup//cleanup service. Debbie's tenure in the northern keys, her strong relationships with local vendors, and her positive energy and style make her a pleasure to deal with and a valued resource. We were pleased with the service, and would strongly recommend them to anyone considering having a wedding in the upper keys. The details:

- Correspondence - Most of our communication w/ Debbie was done via email, which worked fine. Occasionally, she would neglect to address one or two of our concerns with her first response, but a simple follow up email would resolve whatever outstanding issue we had.

- Setup & Ceremony: Debbie was very familiar with our venue (Ocean House), and as a result had a very strong vision for how to most effectively lay things out, which we both appreciated and agreed with.

- Raw Bar & Cocktail hour - OUTSTANDING! We received loads of compliments on the raw bar. Superb quality and preparation. The passed items and meat/cheese platters were also well received. I received mostly neutral feedback on the bartender… could be some improvement there.

- Dinner & Dessert: Knocked it out of the park. Quality and execution of the dinner was exceptional, and many compliments were received. The cake tasted out of this world, and I am -not- a cake person!

Regarding the cake, we asked Debbie for the top layer of cake to be frozen and shipped to us, which she assured us would be no problem. We received it the other day, saran wrapped and dumped into a flimsy cardboard box with no protective packaging or dry ice. The box was crushed, and the cake was destroyed. If the cake was more important to us, we would have been very upset; as it was, we were merely disappointed, as this was not consistent with Debbie's handling of the rest of our wedding.

Sent on 11/17/2012

Elizabeth · Married on 03/27/2010

3.5

These guys are amazing!! Very friendly, and energetic. They took care of everything for me I was able to plan my wedding with peace of mind because of them.

Sent on 05/13/2010

3.5

Caribbean Catering were great, they took care of everything on the day of our wedding & could not have made the day and easier for us.. The food was lovely and the staff were really accommodating.
    We felt we were in really good hands and would recommend them to anyone planning a wedding in the Keys!

Sent on 06/13/2016

Michael · Married on 09/29/2018

4.2
      3.5

Quality of food and service were excellent and caterer was very responsive and reliable.

Sent on 10/08/2018

Shanna · Married on 06/10/2016

4.2

I met with Debbie and Diane twice before my wedding. They took time to sit with me and my husband and go over everything in detail for our wedding. Initially I opted to get all my rentals, catering, and cake along with waitstaff. But due to financial constraints, my husband and I had to change our contract the Caribbean Catering a month before our wedding to only include the catering and bar service. Debbie was understanding and revised the contract without hesitation. The food was outstanding and the service great! I went with the tomato/mozzarella crostini, spinach/feta triangles, andshrimp cocktail for appetizers. Dinner included: Greek salad with bread, the jerk chicken breast (which was not spicy), rum glazed flank steak with the orzo/vegetable platter, and plantains. Debbie and her staff were punctual, pleasant and more than accommodating. Thank you again so much for the lovely catering service, it was wonderful !

Sent on 09/10/2016

3.0

Caribbean Catering's food was great! The wait staff at the wedding were very attentive and professional. The food display, table and event rentals, and decor they contributed was beautifully set up.
    The food tasting was a nice little event during the planning phase. There was not a cake tasting in the "traditional" way - we were given cakes to take with us to try.
    I gave a lower score on quality and professionalism based on these things:
    - The morning of our wedding, Caribbean Catering was not kind to myself and the mother of the bride when we were double checking some decor things
    - The cake was not what we ordered (flavor or exterior icing). Still lovely looking and tasted good
    - Debbie brought her own camera and took pictures without our permission. She took flash photography photos standing behind my hired photographer.
    - Debbie brought people to our privately rented house venue and toured them around before the ceremony without our permission

I would recommend Caribbean Catering for their great food, convenience of event rentals, and their wait staff.

Sent on 03/12/2016

Caribbean Catering's reply:

Hi Maria, When you & Javi did your tasting , you chose key lime pies, and vanilla cake w/ fresh strawberries, style of cake your mom gave us was wavy ruffle layered frosting w/ fresh flowers ontop and down the side. All this information was printed on your contract . If this is not what you wanted I truly am sorry, we did a review of all items on your contract with your mom a week before and we didn't know about any changes. Also the day of your wedding I did not have my camera with me. Usually we do take photos of tables, flowers, decor , cakes as you will see on our Facebook page we use this as a showcase of our work. The day of your wedding I did not have my camera, so we do not have any photos of your wedding. I thought you should know that it must be someone else that was taking photos but it was not me or my staff.
    You had a most gorgeous day and you were radiant, congratulations to both of you and many years of happiness.
  • Kelly

Kelly · Married on 03/20/2010

2.0

Caribbean Catering (Debbie) handled my wedding on 3/20/2010 and did a wonderful job. They provided the food, table/chair rentals, servers/bartenders, & setup/cleanup services. We decided on coconut shirmp, brie puff pastry, seared tuna, & spinach/feta triangles for appetizers and the seafood pasta station for dinner which were all delicious.

All in all, we were very happy with Caribbean Catering and would recommend them for a fl keys wedding, although there were a few areas that I wish were handled differently:
    1. The tasting. We had a list of items we wanted to try off the sample menus, but instead were given whatever they had cooking that day. A few of the items were not even things we would consider having at our wedding. Everything tasted very good, but we would have prefered to taste the actual food that was going to be at our wedding.
    2. Emails. I like to communicate with emails so I can have something to refer back to. I would send an email with 4 questions and only get an answer to one or two of the items in the email.
    3. Wedding coordinator for the day which is included with the catering contract. We met the coordinator, Lisa, 2 days before the wedding and she was very nice, but didn't really seem like she knew what she was doing. I tried to get her to come to our 30 minute wedding rehearsal, but was told she couldn't make it. This caused for some confusion on the wedding day since Lisa had her own idea of how things should go & we rehearsed things a different way.
    4. Ceremony setup. The ceremony was out on the beach at Chesapeake Beach Resort. The chairs were set up the day before the wedding with only about 2 feet between them and where the wedding party would be standing. We found it was very crammed when we had the reheasal and asked Debbie to have them all moved to the right about 2 feet where there would be more room. I was told that they don't change things once they are set up. My dad ended up moving them and one of the staff ended up helping half way through.

Sent on 04/27/2010
  • I

Isabelle · Married on 03/30/2016

3.8
      2.5

All the food served was absolutely fabulous. Communicating by e-mail was sometimes a little hard however and we were under the impression that they were really busy and didn't really have time to deal with all our questions. This being said, everyone was extremely friendly with us on our wedding day and also helpful.

Sent on 04/19/2016

3.6
      3.5

Overall good job. Would look around next time for other values. Most upset with the setup and cleanup.

Sent on 12/15/2012
  • User4220417 · 2+ years ago

3.6
      3.0

They were great and the food was wonderful! Had a few problems with connecting but overall we were pleased with the results. Would recommend to others.

Sent on 01/06/2015

Susan · Married on 02/15/2014

2.0

This caterer was highly recommended to me for my wedding but Caribbean Catering was a HUGE disappointment. The food was mediocre and several guests commented that it was not up to the caterer's previous high standards. The "hot" items were cold as there were insufficient burners to warm the pans. After being assured beforehand that the bar would be fully stocked and the bartender could make ANY and ALL drinks except frozen, the Mother of the Bride couldn't get a simple Bloody Mary. I was told it was MY fault since this is a "breakfast drink" and I should have specified that someone might want one! (Seriously?) To add insult to injury, the servers and bartender did a poor job of cleaning up and left the party 1/2 hour early in violation of the contract.

Sent on 02/28/2014

1.5
      1.0

Unfortunately we can't recommend the Caribbean Catering. Being so happy and satisfied with all our other vendors and services, this was the only thing we didn't like at all. As soon as we signed the contract Debbie from Caribbean Catering become really inflexible and tried to charge us for any little thing possible. We wanted to get beige table runners ( which said it even in the contract) and she showed us brown/blue ones. We ended up buying our owns, cause didn't wanted to pay her extra for those. The food and specially the fish and chicken was lukewarm and as the bride getting the first plate, I really know it was :-(. Her staff was eating in front of the wedding guest behind the buffet ( as employees in catering, we do understand, that staff needs to eat as well- still should be more done behind the "curtains" somewhere). Pictures from our wedding ceremony and set up was posted even the night of our wedding without us being asked about it before ( was taken off later). In our opinion, if you wanna have a relaxed wedding take some extra time to search for someone else who caters food and other supplies in Islamorada.

Sent on 01/27/2013

Caribbean Catering's reply:

I find this review very suspicious, since the facts dont add up to a real bride, We know all our brides at Caribbean Catering and in 2012 we did not have a request for tan runners and we also never posted any photos and then removed them, so if we posted photos on our facebook of your wedding, they would still be there. Sometimes competitiors need to post "anonymous" reviews so they can make us look bad.

Janet · Married on 02/09/2018

1.0

My review is only to serve as a warning. We lost our $1,000 deposit with Debbie from Caribbean Catering due to Hurricane Irma 2017. We booked with her months in advance and then our venue informed us Nov. 1 that they would not be repaired from the hurricane in time for the Feb 2018 wedding!! The venue and all others refunded our deposits except for Caribbean Catering. Debbie did offer to help us find a new location but they were not big enough and didn’t have enough rooms for our guests or the date we needed. We ended up in Key West and worked very hard to plan all of this from out of town for a Feb 10 wedding after getting the news Nov 1 from our Key Largo venue that they had to cancel us. Hurricanes happen and don’t assume everyone will give you back your deposit, we lost our $1,000 but we are glad for the other returned deposits. I can’t rate her food since we were not offered a taste test when we met Debbie. I have several email correspondence to share if anyone wants to contact me about being denied our deposit back, it was not nice. It was a very sad time for the FL Keys when the hurricane hit so beware you could lose your money if another one comes.

Sent on 05/03/2018

Caribbean Catering's reply:

Janet signed a contract that states "deposits are non refundable".. The money paid up front of $1,000. pays for time invested in planning the event. As she states they booked 9 months ahead and I invested 9 months of time and planning including a very very long face to face meeting of the whole group of families answering many questions and planning. In addition to the time invested with many emails over the months. Her invoice for time invested was $800. and I offered to send her a $200. refund of the balance not used. When I asked her to email me an address for her $200. refund she did not answer the email . 4 months has passed since that email requesting her address and she emailed me last week to say okay if that is all you will give I will take it.

Jesse · Married on 08/13/2016

1.0

...Be careful, signing a contract with Debbie allows her to act as she wants with the end result being that she gets paid one way or another...

Without writing a review that is so lengthy it detours you from reading it, here it is plain and simple:

Our initial thought of this company was great, we met with them, chose our food items, set our price, and signed the contract (This was about 8 months prior to the wedding). Due to some unforeseen changes (pretty common in weddings, I would say), our request and details needed to be adjusted. Debbie, specifically, was UN-able to handle these adjustments. The changes in the price due to the adjustments seemed irrational, and because of this, we asked if we could go over the numbers again, requesting an itemized list. This not only seems like a reasonable request (especially when you are talking about spending THOUSANDS of dollars) but it seems like a simple one.

Not only did Debbie refuse to provide said list, but she became very defensive and rude when I wasn't willing to accept that answer. The cherry on top was when my mom called a day later to diffuse the tension between us, and ended up getting YELLED at.

What kind of owner not only argues about providing an itemized list but YELLS at a customer. It was very disrespectful and eye-opening how little she cares about her customers.

...Oh...and she refused to refund the deposit of $500 because she didn't deem her actions and disrespect as something that allowed us to opt out of the contract (Mind you, we are still 4 months from our wedding). Wait, What?

Sent on 04/20/2016

Caribbean Catering's reply:

This bride wanted to change from regular round tables with linens and white chairs , to Farm Tables and bamboo chairs, Farm Tables are Standard in the industry at $100./table, Bamboo chairs $3./each. I was only charging the bride $50./table and bamboo chairs for FREE. She and her mom could not accept that extra charge and both thought is was too high. I told them the cost is the cost I cannot control it as I do not own the Farm Tables, they come from another vendor . They called me 4 times asking why it was so much , I explained all 4 times and sent it in writing. On the 5th call , still complaining that it was too much to pay, I told them to contact their wedding planner Julia and rent the tables through her, I was done arguing about price with them. The Farm tables are what they are for cost , no matter who you rent from. Yes I was curt with them, it was in order at this point of spending one hour on the phone trying to explain something pretty basic. Moral of the story: If you want to upgrade wedding items, furniture , decor, it is going to cost more, so you must be willing to pay the extra or if your on a budget then stick with the basic cost that you signed a contract for. Debbie
  • User6619954 · 2+ years ago

1.0

To clarify what what the owner said in the comment above the company was contacted multiple times because they were incapable of returning messages, emails, etc and then claim they never received them. The problem was not the cost. The price is irrelevant. The problem came when Debbie refused to produce an itemized list of rentals (tables, chairs, charger plates, linens, etc). Even though at the initial meeting with Diane the prices per item were discussed. The list was requested since some items were being changed and removed. The phone conversations with Debbie were extemely unprofessional, stating if we didn't like it we could go somewhere else. I would never recommend this place to anyone. Apparently I should have read all the horrible reviews on Yelp.

Sent on 04/20/2016

Caribbean Catering's reply:

This misunderstanding is very unfortunate. We offer our rentals in package pricing because they are priced to include our services of delivery, set-up, break-down/clean-up, and floor planning. We will also include any last minute extras that might be needed the day of. Any rental upgrades are an additional cost, such as farm tables or chivari chairs. We wish you all the best in your planning.