Carey Institute for Global Good Reviews

18 Carey Institute for Global Good Reviews
  • Rosie

Rosie Beck · Married on 10/20/2018

Outstanding is an understatement

Two weeks later, and I am still on cloud 9. The Carey staff was absolutely spectacular! Our wedding weekend was even better than we could have ever expected. Every detail was thought of and handled by Tina and her staff. Tina is exceptional and is a master of coordination. If you are deciding between a one day wedding and a weekend wedding, I highly suggest a full weekend wedding at the Carey. There was time to enjoy every moment and catch up with every guest. It was important for us to have sleeping arraignments for our guests and the Carey provided above and beyond service. Being able to stay in one location eliminated any travel time/coordination between events and it eliminated any worries of driving after enjoying a night of beverages. The accommodations were extremely clean and buildings and grounds were well taken care of.
    Because Tina was thorough, she had understood and captured all of our requests. Everything was covered and there were simply no stresses. We had visited the Carey in all seasons and there was no doubt that no matter the weather, we would be able to capture beautiful photos to document our day. We were lucky enough to have the sun come out for the ceremony over looking the valley but if we were sent inside, we would have had an equally beautiful ceremony.
    The food needs it’s own review and if I could give more than 5 stars I would! Chef John was outstanding and so easy to work with! He is extremely professional and talented! I’ve never seen a bbq so elegant and I’ve never had morning eggs so rich and delicious. We decided to have our reception served family style and everyone loved the home style feel as meals as a family don’t happen as much as we’d all like. It was all just perfect. Everything about The Carey Institute exceeded our expectations and I can’t wait wait to go back for a brewery visit!

Carey Institute for Global Good 1
    Carey Institute for Global Good 2

Katie · Married on 07/28/2018

To cut to the chase: if you are able to have your wedding at the Carey Institute, just book it now. Everything about it- the staff, the food, the grounds, the organization, the houses, the scenery - is absolutely incredible. Our wedding weekend was amazing because of the Carey Institute. It was so great that we could have a whole weekend with our guests all in one, gorgeous place.

Beyond the physical beauty is the amazing staff. We worked with Tina, the coordinator, Kathe, the front office manager, and John, the chef, throughout our planning. Fantastic is an understatement. All three (and all the other staff members) were so helpful, dedicated, accommodating, and kind. We had a wishlist of things for the wedding, and they accommodated every one easily. It was clear that they wanted us to have an incredible weekend, and they did everything in their power to make it happen for us. They were all so wonderful to work with. And they were all so organized. It felt like we were all one team working towards the same goal- an incredible weekend.

We need to dedicate an entire paragraph just to the food. SO DELICIOUS. We were blown away by our tasting, and the food throughout the wedding weekend was just as good. Everything, from the breakfast pastries, to the main courses at dinner, to the soup at lunch, to the desserts, to the sides for all meals- incredible. Our guests are still talking about the food.

Our wedding weekend was obviously always going to be special for us, but everyone and everything at the Carey Institute made it so much more special by their obvious care. We never felt like just another wedding. Everything was organized, everyone was so responsive, the food and drinks were amazing, and the staff were all incredible. It was so worth every penny. Thank you so much, Tina, Kathe, John, and everyone at the Carey Institute for planning a weekend with us that we and our loved ones will never forget.

Crystal Rupp · Married on 06/23/2018

Our Perfect Wedding Day

Where to begin with the Carey Institute? Do you start with the incredible food, gorgeous location or fantastic staff? Planning a wedding in New York when you live in California is a daunting task but Ileana and Tina were more than up for the challenge. They were always responsive to our emails and willing to take phone calls any time we needed to go over details or ask questions.

We toured the property with Ileana and during the planning process the role of wedding coordinator transitioned to Tina. While this could have been a spot of major disorganization and panic, the transition was handled well. Our guests were all very impressed with the location and the staff. Tina especially knocked it out of the park by producing a gluten free dessert last minute when we forgot to arrange one for our guests.

The food was absolutely incredible and the chef was able to create a fantastic meal that accommodated dietary restrictions while still being served family style. We're both big craft beer fans and enjoyed having two craft brews designed for us by their on site brew master.

The only downside to our entire weekend was that it rained most of the time we were there. However, that did not stop our guests from having a great time. The plan was to have our ceremony outside, but the library made a beautiful location that comfortably fit our 80+ guests. We had also planned for an after party bonfire but the staff easily moved the after party indoors and set up the fireplace for marshmallow roasting.

We were a little concerned about having a lesbian wedding in rural New York. However, it was never an issue and we never felt othered by standard bride/groom forms or language.

Overall, our wedding could not have gone better and much of that credit goes to all that the Carey Institute offers.

Carey Institute for Global Good 3
    Carey Institute for Global Good 4
    Carey Institute for Global Good 5
    Carey Institute for Global Good 6
    Carey Institute for Global Good 7

Allison · Married on 10/14/2017

Having our wedding at the Carey Institute was the best, and easiest, decision we made for our wedding! The grounds of the venue sell themselves, but the staff truly made our weekend wedding go off without a hitch! Our guests kept coming up to us the whole weekend commenting on how wonderful everything was. Now a month after the wedding, we're still hearing stories about how amazing the venue was and our guests are asking how they can stay there on their own :).

Regarding the venue and catering - they handle it all. The chef is amazing and easy to work with, the event planner (ours was Sue) was WONDERFUL to work with. The folks who work the grounds and stay late at night to make sure our guests are taken care of were amazing. We seriously couldn't be happier with the way everything went.

Having a weekend wedding here with everyone on the property will be the best decision you make. We had welcome drinks at the brewery Friday night, bonfires Friday and Saturday night at Stonecrop House, and then the "going away breakfast" on Sunday. Everyone had to travel for our wedding, but they loved being able to be with everyone Friday - Sunday, and they also enjoyed the fall foliage and the hikes around the Huyck Preserve. We opted to get married in the woods because it has such an intimate, special feeling to it so make sure you check that site out on your visit!

We cannot speak more highly of the staff here or more highly of our experience here. Carey Institute will forever hold a special place in our hearts and we hope to go back and spend another weekend there!

Carey Institute for Global Good 8
    Carey Institute for Global Good 15
    Carey Institute for Global Good 16
    Carey Institute for Global Good 17

Nadine · Married on 09/30/2017

I cannot say enough wonderful things about the Carey Institute for Global Good - we had the perfect wedding weekend! From the moment I arrived to vet the venue 18 months before our wedding, we had an unparalleled experience. The staff is exceptional, the food is delicious and the backdrop was stunning. Our guests can't stop raving!

Liz · Married on 06/24/2017

We had an absolutely wonderful experience working with Sue at The Carey Institute for our June wedding. Sue was incredibly responsive and helpful throughout the entire planning process. A 3 day event is a lot to take on but Sue really made it as easy as possible. The weekend of the wedding I was blown away by the attentiveness and dedication of the entire staff. It was very apparent that everyone from Sue to the maintenance crew, restaurant, and housekeeping staff had our satisfaction as their number one priority. I would whole heartedly recommend having a wedding here - the staff goes above and beyond, the grounds and buildings are gorgeous, and all of our guests raved about the food (it was amazing!) The chef is incredibly talented, very easy to work with and gladly accommodated many dietary restrictions. We are so happy we chose this venue, and we truly feel we got what we paid for here!

• Z

Zachary · Married on 05/28/2017

Perfection is hard to achieve, especially when it's your wedding day. But I will be brazen and say that Carey Institute went far above expectations with what was a perfect wedding weekend. This is THE place to be for a true wedding weekend retreat. The whole staff swells with pride and worked tirelessly to ensure that we all were accommodated and happy. We were so lucky to work with Ileana throughout our year of planning. Ileana is the real deal when it comes to event planning and single-handedly made sure the whole wedding weekend was exactly what we wanted at every moment. Carey achieves perfection just by with its pristine grounds alone. Add in a staff that far exceeds expectations and you've got a wedding weekend that no one will ever forget.

Kim · Married on 07/30/2016

Every part of our wedding was beyond our (and our guests) expectations.

From the first contact we had with Susan Shufelt (the event planner) to wrapping everything up with Kathe Bryan and all the people we met (and those we didn't meet but we know worked to make our weekend perfect) everyone was kind, above and beyond helpful, thoughtful and professional.

Sue gave us and our families multiple tours of the Institute, kept us on track with planning and was just overall such a warm, generous and considerate person. She was so organized and ran a very tight ship to make sure every detail was considered and thought of!
    Kathe was organized and on top of all the billing work and many people went out of their way to say how warm and helpful she was when they came to check-in or ask questions.
    From the time we arrived on Thursday we saw many people hard at work making the grounds look immaculate. There was lots of watering, trimming, pruning and setting up our wedding chairs and more. When our guests started arriving everything was just perfect.
    The staff regularly checked in with us, was attentive and went above and beyond to get us any little things we needed.
    John Murray (the head chef) just wow.. the food all weekend was delicious. John and his team put so much thought into every detail. One of the bridesmaids is gluten free and she squealed with joy during the rehearsal dinner bbq when she saw gluten free buns had been put out. "No one ever thinks of these details!" she said. At breakfast, a close family friend said, "You know you're with 'your people' at a good place when they have milk, soy milk and almond milk". All weekend long everyone just couldn't stop saying how well fed they were and how much they enjoyed the food.

We are just so thankful for your entire team and for the Institute. It is a happy place for us filled with so many wonderful memories now. The people we worked with, the beauty of the space, the flow of the events, it was perfect.

KirbyKay · Married on 07/23/2016

Outstanding location and services. The scenery is perfect. The estate is full of history and charm that really adds elegance to the wedding. The staff was exceptional and very helpful. Everyone went out of their way to make our wedding truly magical. Sue the event coordinator was extremely helpful in organizing details and ensuring the weekend was stress free. She really made sure everything flowed seamlessly from the ceremony, to the cocktail hour, to the reception etc. The food was phenomenal! Our guests still talk about how it was the best wedding they have ever been to. We couldn't say enough great things about this place. They don't do many weddings, so definitely book your weekend now!! Very flexible and willing to work with you to ensure you have everything you need.

Ellen · Married on 06/25/2016

Everything was perfect. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat and wouldn't change a thing. The whole experience and atmosphere felt like a family reunion weekend, which is exactly what we needed and wanted. Susan and staff took good care of us, answered every little question, and took care of each picky detail. Collectively, they are top notch and love weddings. A few of our guests mentioned the grounds seemed like a nicer version of the camp in Dirty Dancing :-)

Laura · Married on 09/14/2013

There aren't enough stars to give this venue the proper rating. Everything about this place is amazing! The staff, grounds, food, amenities and accommodations are like no other. You can't be disappointed when booking an event here. They make sure that your every vision is met and made my wedding dreams come true! I can guarantee that you will have some of the best days of your life by booking your wedding at The Carey Conference Center.

Susan · Married on 06/22/2013

We had the challenge of planning a wedding with myself in Toronto, my daughter in Kansas and the wedding was to be in upstate New York. We wanted a weekend wedding in which we would have the resort to ourselves, so there weren't a lot of options at hand. I took a trip to upstate New York to tour the Carey Conference Centre. From the moment I walked in the door and met Sue Shufelt, I felt like I was at home. Her warmth and genuine nature was so comforting and I knew we were in good hands from the start. I loved the grounds and the unique victorian style homes. It was all that I had hoped for and more. We arrived on the Friday, and there was Sue and her team looking after all of our needs from the get go. Her efficiency and attention to detail was amazing. (A lot of people thought that she was the wedding planner!) Knowing we had Sue there provided a stress free, enjoyable weekend. Everything was absolutely perfect from beginning to end. Our guests are still raving about the resort. I would highly recommend the Carey Conference Centre. Having the whole weekend made for a beautiful destination wedding. And to Sue Shufelt - you are the best, thank you for making Mallory and Greg's wedding a dream come true! (MOB) Mom of Bride

Kristine · Married on 03/01/2013

I planned a destination wedding at the Center, or rather I should say Susie Shufelt helped me plan the best wedding I could imagine! She responded promptly to every emailed question, answered every phone call and had tons of great suggestions to offer along the way! The Stonecrop Estate House was a perfect location for my intimate wedding and the mountains in the background provided for great pictures. Every single guest commented on how wonderful the food was prepared, presented and tasted; very impressed, hats off to the chef and waitstaff! I felt like we were their only priority and at such a great, low cost (I've been IN 11 other weddings, so I know how expensive it can be!), I was thrilled with absolutely everything! A bonus was getting to know more about the Center and its purpose and the pride the staff has its history. I can't say enough great things about the Carey Conference Center and Susie. The whole process was seamless; I highly recommend!!!

Rebecca · Married on 08/25/2012

So, at least as of January 2013, that picture of the venue is from my wedding. My grandparents retired to Rensselaerville and we've been using the Center for overflow space for family gatherings for about as long as I can remember.

My now-husband and I couldn't think of a place we'd rather get married - it's about equally convenient to NY and Boston (where most of our guests were located) and accessible from the Albany airport as well. We wanted to have a whole wedding weekend experience, where guests could come not only to celebrate with us but also just to have a nice getaway for themselves. It REALLY WORKED. We had the rehearsal dinner on Friday followed by a large bonfire/outdoor party that we advertised to all guests - which was great, because it encouraged a lot of folks to arrive on Friday and catch up with friends. We had 175 total guests, so there was a lot of socializing to be done! We got so much positive feedback - people were totally relaxed and some told us that it was the most fun wedding they'd ever been to. It's really helpful to have a location where you can "set 'em loose" to do activities on their own (kayaking, hiking, tennis, etc) and not have to worry about entertaining everyone at every moment. The venue was able to accommodate slightly upwards of 120 of our guests (I think?) with some of our friends willing to squeeze. I know they've recently updated many of the rooms and beds, and things are looking great. Be advised this is a beautiful but "quaint" facility!

Sue Shufelt, the Event Planner, was delightful to work with throughout the entire process. She thinks of every detail and reminds you gently to think about what is needed - I really appreciated her approach. We had all the flexibility we needed with our large tent reception, excellent food and bar service, and gorgeous, spacious surroundings. It was the most beautiful, rockin' wedding imaginable. Can we do it again?

Our wedding was incredible! People are still talking about it and saying it was one of of the most unique weddings they have ever been to. Not only was the venue beautiful (overlooking the catskill mountains) and fun (kayaking, hiking, outdoor tennis) but the wedding coordinator and the head chef were extremely helpful and accommodating. My husband and I were overseas when we planned the whole event and not only did they create a whole new menu for us (Indian and Western food, ALL vegan including family recipes), the staff were quick to respond by e-mail and phone making it easy to change details here and there. The rooms, restaurant and wedding site were beautiful and Carey Conference Center only does ONE wedding a weekend and a few weddings a year which allowed them to put extra attention into our wedding, which contributed to making our wedding feel like a family reunion weekend, rather than a 1/2 day event.

Dana · Married on 10/01/2016

Sue and everyone at the Carey institute were so wonderful in the process of wedding planning! The food was great, the venue truly one of a kind. It was the best place to spend the weekend!

From Mother of the groom: We had a weekend wedding in June 2012 at The CCC and we had a wonderful experience. We had a Hindu-Christian-Jewish ceremony. Our preference was to have an outdoor ceremony with the beautiful views the Carey Center offers. But we needed to move into the auditorium for the ceremony and it was perfect and beautiful. The housing variations were great! The bride found it important to have a vegan wedding and the food: rehearsal dinner, 2 brunches and the wedding ceremony food was excellent! Sue Shufelt, the event coordinator was excellent and wonderful to work with.