15 Reviews for Carey Institute for Global Good

Furniture (1)
Shuttle (1)
Wheelchair Access (1)
15 Carey Institute for Global Good Reviews

Having our wedding at the Carey Institute was the best, and easiest, decision we made for our wedding! The grounds of the venue sell themselves, but the staff truly made our weekend wedding go off without a hitch! Our guests kept coming up to us the whole weekend commenting on how wonderful everything was. Now a month after the wedding, we're still hearing stories about how amazing the venue was and our guests are asking how they can stay there on their own :).

Regarding the venue and catering - they handle it all. The chef is amazing and easy to work with, the event planner (ours was Sue) was WONDERFUL to work with. The folks who work the grounds and stay late at night to make sure our guests are taken care of were amazing. We seriously couldn't be happier with the way everything went.

Having a weekend wedding here with everyone on the property will be the best decision you make. We had welcome drinks at the brewery Friday night, bonfires Friday and Saturday night at Stonecrop House, and then the "going away breakfast" on Sunday. Everyone had to travel for our wedding, but they loved being able to be with everyone Friday - Sunday, and they also enjoyed the fall foliage and the hikes around the Huyck Preserve. We opted to get married in the woods because it has such an intimate, special feeling to it so make sure you check that site out on your visit!

We cannot speak more highly of the staff here or more highly of our experience here. Carey Institute will forever hold a special place in our hearts and we hope to go back and spend another weekend there!

Photos
Profile Picture Allison, 10/14/17, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location
Services Used: Buffet, Cocktail Reception, Hors d'Oeuvres, Tastings, Scenic Views, Uncovered Outdoor, Bartender(s), Cash Bar, House Beer, House Liquor, House Wine, Open Bar, Premium Liquor, Specialty Beer, Barware, China, Flatware, Glassware, Linens, Accommodations, In-House Bar, In-House Catering, Clean Up, Event Planning, Bridal Suite, Liability Insurance, Set Up, Wireless Internet, Altar/Arches, Chairs, Tables, Parking

I cannot say enough wonderful things about the Carey Institute for Global Good - we had the perfect wedding weekend! From the moment I arrived to vet the venue 18 months before our wedding, we had an unparalleled experience. The staff is exceptional, the food is delicious and the backdrop was stunning. Our guests can't stop raving!

Profile Picture Nadine, 9/30/17, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We had an absolutely wonderful experience working with Sue at The Carey Institute for our June wedding. Sue was incredibly responsive and helpful throughout the entire planning process. A 3 day event is a lot to take on but Sue really made it as easy as possible. The weekend of the wedding I was blown away by the attentiveness and dedication of the entire staff. It was very apparent that everyone from Sue to the maintenance crew, restaurant, and housekeeping staff had our satisfaction as their number one priority. I would whole heartedly recommend having a wedding here - the staff goes above and beyond, the grounds and buildings are gorgeous, and all of our guests raved about the food (it was amazing!) The chef is incredibly talented, very easy to work with and gladly accommodated many dietary restrictions. We are so happy we chose this venue, and we truly feel we got what we paid for here!

Profile Picture Liz, 6/24/17, 3 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Altar/Arches, Audio Equipment, Chairs, Furniture, Tables, Bartender(s), Champagne Toast, House Beer, House Liquor, House Wine, Open Bar, Premium Liquor, Signature Drink, Specialty Beer, Covered Outdoor, Indoor, Scenic Views, Parking, Shuttle, Wheelchair Access, Buffet, Cocktail Reception, Dessert, Family Style, Hors d'Oeuvres, Plated, Server(s), Stations, Tastings

Perfection is hard to achieve, especially when it's your wedding day. But I will be brazen and say that Carey Institute went far above expectations with what was a perfect wedding weekend. This is THE place to be for a true wedding weekend retreat. The whole staff swells with pride and worked tirelessly to ensure that we all were accommodated and happy. We were so lucky to work with Ileana throughout our year of planning. Ileana is the real deal when it comes to event planning and single-handedly made sure the whole wedding weekend was exactly what we wanted at every moment. Carey achieves perfection just by with its pristine grounds alone. Add in a staff that far exceeds expectations and you've got a wedding weekend that no one will ever forget.

Profile Picture Zachary, 5/28/17, 4 Reviews
Category: Unique Services (Other)

Every part of our wedding was beyond our (and our guests) expectations.

From the first contact we had with Susan Shufelt (the event planner) to wrapping everything up with Kathe Bryan and all the people we met (and those we didn't meet but we know worked to make our weekend perfect) everyone was kind, above and beyond helpful, thoughtful and professional.

Sue gave us and our families multiple tours of the Institute, kept us on track with planning and was just overall such a warm, generous and considerate person. She was so organized and ran a very tight ship to make sure every detail was considered and thought of!
Kathe was organized and on top of all the billing work and many people went out of their way to say how warm and helpful she was when they came to check-in or ask questions.
From the time we arrived on Thursday we saw many people hard at work making the grounds look immaculate. There was lots of watering, trimming, pruning and setting up our wedding chairs and more. When our guests started arriving everything was just perfect.
The staff regularly checked in with us, was attentive and went above and beyond to get us any little things we needed.
John Murray (the head chef) just wow.. the food all weekend was delicious. John and his team put so much thought into every detail. One of the bridesmaids is gluten free and she squealed with joy during the rehearsal dinner bbq when she saw gluten free buns had been put out. "No one ever thinks of these details!" she said. At breakfast, a close family friend said, "You know you're with 'your people' at a good place when they have milk, soy milk and almond milk". All weekend long everyone just couldn't stop saying how well fed they were and how much they enjoyed the food.

We are just so thankful for your entire team and for the Institute. It is a happy place for us filled with so many wonderful memories now. The people we worked with, the beauty of the space, the flow of the events, it was perfect.

Profile Picture Kim, 7/30/16, 4 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Bartender(s), House Beer, Liquor License, Open Bar, Outside Alcohol, Premium Liquor, Specialty Beer, Barware, China, Flatware, Glassware, Linens, Indoor, Uncovered Outdoor, Accommodations, Bridal Suite, Clean Up, Event Planning, Set Up, Buffet, Cocktail Reception, Dessert, Hors d'Oeuvres, Outside Cake, Server(s), Parking

Outstanding location and services. The scenery is perfect. The estate is full of history and charm that really adds elegance to the wedding. The staff was exceptional and very helpful. Everyone went out of their way to make our wedding truly magical. Sue the event coordinator was extremely helpful in organizing details and ensuring the weekend was stress free. She really made sure everything flowed seamlessly from the ceremony, to the cocktail hour, to the reception etc. The food was phenomenal! Our guests still talk about how it was the best wedding they have ever been to. We couldn't say enough great things about this place. They don't do many weddings, so definitely book your weekend now!! Very flexible and willing to work with you to ensure you have everything you need.

Profile Picture User6226560, 1+ year ago, 2 Reviews
Category: Catering, Ceremony & Reception Venue
Services Used: Accommodations, Bridal Suite, Clean Up, Set Up, Buffet, Cocktail Reception, Dessert, Hors d'Oeuvres, Outside Cake, Server(s), Barware, China, Flatware, Glassware, Linens, Uncovered Outdoor, Bartender(s), Champagne Toast, House Beer, Liquor License, Open Bar, Premium Liquor, Specialty Beer

Everything was perfect. I would do it all over again in a heartbeat and wouldn't change a thing. The whole experience and atmosphere felt like a family reunion weekend, which is exactly what we needed and wanted. Susan and staff took good care of us, answered every little question, and took care of each picky detail. Collectively, they are top notch and love weddings. A few of our guests mentioned the grounds seemed like a nicer version of the camp in Dirty Dancing :-)

Profile Picture Ellen, 6/25/16, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue, Rehearsal Dinner Location

There aren't enough stars to give this venue the proper rating. Everything about this place is amazing! The staff, grounds, food, amenities and accommodations are like no other. You can't be disappointed when booking an event here. They make sure that your every vision is met and made my wedding dreams come true! I can guarantee that you will have some of the best days of your life by booking your wedding at The Carey Conference Center.

Profile Picture Laura, 9/14/13, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We had the challenge of planning a wedding with myself in Toronto, my daughter in Kansas and the wedding was to be in upstate New York. We wanted a weekend wedding in which we would have the resort to ourselves, so there weren't a lot of options at hand. I took a trip to upstate New York to tour the Carey Conference Centre. From the moment I walked in the door and met Sue Shufelt, I felt like I was at home. Her warmth and genuine nature was so comforting and I knew we were in good hands from the start. I loved the grounds and the unique victorian style homes. It was all that I had hoped for and more. We arrived on the Friday, and there was Sue and her team looking after all of our needs from the get go. Her efficiency and attention to detail was amazing. (A lot of people thought that she was the wedding planner!) Knowing we had Sue there provided a stress free, enjoyable weekend. Everything was absolutely perfect from beginning to end. Our guests are still raving about the resort. I would highly recommend the Carey Conference Centre. Having the whole weekend made for a beautiful destination wedding. And to Sue Shufelt - you are the best, thank you for making Mallory and Greg's wedding a dream come true! (MOB) Mom of Bride

Profile Picture Susan, 6/22/13, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

I planned a destination wedding at the Center, or rather I should say Susie Shufelt helped me plan the best wedding I could imagine! She responded promptly to every emailed question, answered every phone call and had tons of great suggestions to offer along the way! The Stonecrop Estate House was a perfect location for my intimate wedding and the mountains in the background provided for great pictures. Every single guest commented on how wonderful the food was prepared, presented and tasted; very impressed, hats off to the chef and waitstaff! I felt like we were their only priority and at such a great, low cost (I've been IN 11 other weddings, so I know how expensive it can be!), I was thrilled with absolutely everything! A bonus was getting to know more about the Center and its purpose and the pride the staff has its history. I can't say enough great things about the Carey Conference Center and Susie. The whole process was seamless; I highly recommend!!!

Profile Picture Kristine, 3/1/13, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

So, at least as of January 2013, that picture of the venue is from my wedding. My grandparents retired to Rensselaerville and we've been using the Center for overflow space for family gatherings for about as long as I can remember.

My now-husband and I couldn't think of a place we'd rather get married - it's about equally convenient to NY and Boston (where most of our guests were located) and accessible from the Albany airport as well. We wanted to have a whole wedding weekend experience, where guests could come not only to celebrate with us but also just to have a nice getaway for themselves. It REALLY WORKED. We had the rehearsal dinner on Friday followed by a large bonfire/outdoor party that we advertised to all guests - which was great, because it encouraged a lot of folks to arrive on Friday and catch up with friends. We had 175 total guests, so there was a lot of socializing to be done! We got so much positive feedback - people were totally relaxed and some told us that it was the most fun wedding they'd ever been to. It's really helpful to have a location where you can "set 'em loose" to do activities on their own (kayaking, hiking, tennis, etc) and not have to worry about entertaining everyone at every moment. The venue was able to accommodate slightly upwards of 120 of our guests (I think?) with some of our friends willing to squeeze. I know they've recently updated many of the rooms and beds, and things are looking great. Be advised this is a beautiful but "quaint" facility!

Sue Shufelt, the Event Planner, was delightful to work with throughout the entire process. She thinks of every detail and reminds you gently to think about what is needed - I really appreciated her approach. We had all the flexibility we needed with our large tent reception, excellent food and bar service, and gorgeous, spacious surroundings. It was the most beautiful, rockin' wedding imaginable. Can we do it again?

Profile Picture Rebecca, 8/25/12, 2 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Our wedding was incredible! People are still talking about it and saying it was one of of the most unique weddings they have ever been to. Not only was the venue beautiful (overlooking the catskill mountains) and fun (kayaking, hiking, outdoor tennis) but the wedding coordinator and the head chef were extremely helpful and accommodating. My husband and I were overseas when we planned the whole event and not only did they create a whole new menu for us (Indian and Western food, ALL vegan including family recipes), the staff were quick to respond by e-mail and phone making it easy to change details here and there. The rooms, restaurant and wedding site were beautiful and Carey Conference Center only does ONE wedding a weekend and a few weddings a year which allowed them to put extra attention into our wedding, which contributed to making our wedding feel like a family reunion weekend, rather than a 1/2 day event.

Profile Picture User2967679, 2+ years ago, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Sue and everyone at the Carey institute were so wonderful in the process of wedding planning! The food was great, the venue truly one of a kind. It was the best place to spend the weekend!

Profile Picture Dana, 10/1/16, 1 Review
Category: Unique Services (Other)

From Mother of the groom: We had a weekend wedding in June 2012 at The CCC and we had a wonderful experience. We had a Hindu-Christian-Jewish ceremony. Our preference was to have an outdoor ceremony with the beautiful views the Carey Center offers. But we needed to move into the auditorium for the ceremony and it was perfect and beautiful. The housing variations were great! The bride found it important to have a vegan wedding and the food: rehearsal dinner, 2 brunches and the wedding ceremony food was excellent! Sue Shufelt, the event coordinator was excellent and wonderful to work with.

Profile Picture User2970386, 2+ years ago, 1 Review