Candy and Confections by Lisa Stoudt Reviews

98 | Reading, PA

98 Reviews for Candy and Confections by Lisa Stoudt

Colleen · Married on 05/21/2011

Lisa was great to work with. Her cakes are not only beautiful, they are delicious as well. So many wedding cakes seem to look pretty and then have no flavor. Lisa's cakes definitely do not fall into that category. We had a hard time choosing our flavors at the tasting....everything was so good. We received a lot of great compliments on the cake.

Lisa was very easy to work with and open to all of our ideas. I had a "surprise" cake topper for my husband and she did a great job of helping to keep it a secret. I would definitely use Candy & Confections again!

Sent on 06/20/2011

C · Married on 04/16/2011

Lisa did a great job creating our perfect wedding cake! She was very helpful and receptive to our likes and dislikes, and our cake was delicious!

Sent on 06/25/2011

Nora · Married on 09/18/2010

Lisa ... Thank you for our wonderful weddign cake. It was the best cake - great flavors - Apple Spice with Strawberry Mousse - try it you may really like it too!!! I know we had a bigger cake then we needed, but so many people were asking to take pieces home due to the great taste. Thanks for doing the design exactly the way we wanted it. Nora (Crow) Schell.

Sent on 10/02/2010

Rob · Married on 03/30/2009

lisa was great to work with,cake was loved by all guests,b/4 i could followup with lisa she was calling me to find out if all went well....the cake was both beautifull to look at as well as to eat.........

Sent on 03/31/2009

Paulette · Married on 11/09/2008

Lisa makes very beautiful and delicious cakes and candies. I was concerned about going to a cake tasting because I do not like a lot of sweets. To my surprise I loved everything I tasted which made it very difficult to choose flavors. I selected a design from a magazine and Lisa was able to copy it perfectly. Lisa was very accommodating when a change in the wedding date occurred and we needed the cake a month earlier. Lisa also made candy favors for the wedding which was delicious and very pretty. I would highly recommend Lisa to bake a cake for any occasion.

Sent on 02/11/2009

Cheryl · Married on 03/05/2011

In 2003, Lisa made my husband and I a beautiful and delicious wedding cake. I knew that I could count on Lisa to help me surprise my brother with a special and unique cake for his 30th birthday. Growing up my brother was (and still is) a huge Homer Simpson fan. Ironically, he (just like Homer) works in a nuclear power plant. We wanted to incorporate this theme into his cake. Lisa made a tiered cake in the shape of a nuclear power plant cooling tower and she also made a Homer Simpson figure out of gum paste. It looked fabulous! It was fun working with Lisa and she incorporated any special request I wanted for the cake. The final product was above and beyond my expectations. It was an awe-inspiring cake and it was such a piece of art that no one wanted to cut into it!! My brother was completely surprised and the cake was a big hit! In addition, the cake was very moist and delicious. Thank you Lisa for making a wonderful, yet edible work of art for my brother’s 30th birthday!

Sent on 03/07/2011

Marla · Married on 06/19/2010

Our wedding cake was absolutely gorgeous, simple and elegant!!! It was everything I had hoped for. Lisa was able to make an amazing tasting cake within our budget that took my breath away. She also made us chocolate covered strawberries, lemon-raspberry tartlets, and mini-cheesecakes for those guest that wanted more than just wedding cake. There wasn't a dessert leftover if that is any indication how great everything was!!! Thanks Lisa!

Marla M.
    June 19th, 2010

Sent on 06/22/2010

Suzanne · Married on 05/16/2009

Our wedding cake was exquisite and delicious. Lisa really listened to our requests and tastes. We were able to taste everything before ordering and her work far exceeded our expectations.

Sent on 05/24/2009

Sharon · Married on 05/15/2010

Lisa was very accomodating and did an "argyle" wedding cake for my daughter's
    wedding. It was very pretty and the cake was delicious with a chocolate mousse
    filling.

Sent on 05/19/2010

Jamie · Married on 04/26/2008

Cake was beautiful, it was more elegant than I had anticipated. My guests were in awe by how beautiful the cake was.

Sent on 02/16/2009

Amber · Married on 09/04/1999

Lisa is wonderful to work with. She is very creative and does excellent work. She did three cakes for me in one day! Now that is a woman who is dedicated to what she does. All of them were beautiful and delicious. Her cakes are very moist and everyone asked where there were from. I would definately use her again and again. She books up fast so call ahead!!

Sent on 08/05/2009

Jennifer · Married on 12/27/2014

Lisa's designs were beautiful and exactly what we had in mind. She listened to our ideas and provided good feedback and suggestions based on her experience. Upon the first meeting, she had many different options for us to choose from for flavor profiles. Many of them were very unique and not something we would have thought of on our own, but very delicious. We even decided on one of these for our wedding cake. When we asked her to change some flavor profiles for our cake she did so willingly and with phenomenal results.

Our experience with this vendor was top-notch and we would highly recommend her to anyone else getting married in the Reading area.

Sent on 01/03/2015

Kelly · Married on 05/17/2014

I truly enjoyed working with Lisa on my wedding cake! From our initial correspondence, she responded quickly and showed a high level of professionalism. On the wedding day I was delighted with the finished product of the cake and received numerous compliments on the taste! Thank you Lisa for making this a great experience!

Sent on 05/27/2014

C · Married on 07/23/2011

3.5

The cake was beautiful and exactly as I had described it. We had some guests that were unable to commit to our date and we needed to change the size of the cake. Lisa did this with no issue and was very accommodating. Although it was everything I had wanted, the wedding cake is not as big a part of the event as I had thought and we might have devoted a little too much of the overall budget to it.

Sent on 08/02/2011

Jessica · Married on 06/11/2008

Candy and Confections was the best choice I could have made for my wedding day. The cake was so unique because it was blue with hibiscus flowers because we had a tropical themed reception since we got married in the Bahamas. The flavors were also outstanding as we had lemon and orange mousse. We got so many compliments on how delicious it was!

Sent on 02/20/2009

Adriana · Married on 06/14/2014

4.2

met Lisa at a bridal show and was drawn to how nice and moist her cake samples were, so she made my wedding cake.It was very pretty and delicious and well worth our money

Sent on 05/06/2015

Jennifer · Married on 06/07/2008

4.2

After going to meet with Lisa and doing the taste testing we couldn't choose anyone but her! She had so many different varieties of cakes and fillings. She helped us pick the cake that would be perfect for our big day. We different flavors to suite everyone's taste buds and they were all wonderful. The cake design was also beautiful. It matched everything perfectly. We had so many compliments on our design. I would highly recommend her for your cake for any occasion. We look forward to our one year anniversary just so we can get our fresh cake to celebrate.

Sent on 02/10/2009

Amber · Married on 10/28/2017

4.2

Our cake was fabulous and Lisa was great to work with

Sent on 11/17/2017
  • User4192721 · 2+ years ago

3.4
      3.5

The cake tasting went well, picked out colors and flavors ect, when I go to cut my cake it was hard and has 1 inch of fondant all around cake so there's less cake.the decoration on it wasnt the right color so at the end half the cake was thrown out

Sent on 06/22/2014

Bruce · Married on 06/08/2008

3.4
      3.0

Lisa's cake design was exceptional. The taste according to my quests was second to none, I and my wife also thought the taste of the cake was fantastic. I would recommend anyone who is looking for someone to bake a cake for no matter what occassion to call Lisa and taste her product. Im sure you will be well pleased.

Sent on 05/08/2009

Melissa · Married on 11/07/2009

2.6
      0.5
      3.0

I do not know what happened here; obviously from looking at the other reviews on Wedding Wire, Lisa does wonderful work. But she completely fell through on our wedding cupcakes. I was very disappointed.

When we met with Lisa at our booking appointment in February I was upfront about our small budget, but wanted to work with her to see if we could afford her baking. We decided to order vanilla cupcakes with vanilla buttercream at her base price, and then upgraded them with a chocolate mousse filling and chocolate shavings. I also ordered a small top cake to accompany the cupcakes, with the same flavors to be included.

I gave Lisa photos of the type of frosting design I liked (tall and peaked) as well as a photo of the chandeliers in our venue--they had a specific scalloped design that I wanted replicated on the sides of the top cake in either chocolate piping or chocolate molding (Lisa's suggestion, which I liked). Lisa also agreed to supply a stand for us, claiming she had a perfect one in mind--I trusted her judgment.

Here's what went wrong:
    -The cupcakes' frosting was not peaked, but instead somewhat flattened. The frosting was also dry and hard.

-The chocolate shavings looked more like chocolate dust and were an odd color, almost as if they had been sitting out for a few days. The cupcakes were covered in this and looked unappealing.

-The top cake was covered in fondant--I had expressed my distaste for fondant during our meeting and had wanted only buttercream on all the cupcakes and cakes.

-The design I wanted for the top cake (scalloped design from the chandeliers) was completely ignored. Instead there were smallish fleur de lis molded from chocolate. You couldn't really tell what they were until you got up close.

-The cake stand was plastic, oddly proportioned, and looked tacky. I would have purchased my own if I had known this is what Lisa intended to use.

-A number of the cupcakes were dried out and crumbled.

-Possibly the most upsetting thing was that a number of my guests thought I had made the cupcakes because they said they looked homemade.

Now, I know Lisa is an amazing baker because at our booking appointment we had the opportunity to try a wide variety of her cakes, and each one was more delicious than the first. I appreciated her willingness to work with us and our small budget, but never once did I try to haggle her down in price--I simply ordered what I knew we could afford.

So what went wrong? That's what I was left asking myself all through the reception. If our order wasn't big enough or as important as some of her bigger weddings, then I wish she had declined booking with us. Instead we got something that looked like not enough time or attention was put into it, and I find that hard to swallow.

So, if you have the budget, go with Lisa because she is obviously talented. If not, you might want to shop around.

Sent on 11/24/2009

Candy and Confections by Lisa Stoudt's reply:

I gave the couple a full refund,and and my regrets that they didn't like the cupcakes,all I have is my reputation.
  • X

Vincent · Married on 04/21/2012

1.6
      2.0
      0.0

DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS LADY FOR YOUR CAKE. SHE MAKES GOOD CAKES BUT IS COMPLETELY NUTS! WE DROPPED OFF OUR CAKE TOPPER THREE MONTHS BEFORE THE WEDDING TO ENSURE A GOOD FIT, SHE CALLS US DURING OUR REHEARSAL DINNER TO TELL US THAT THE TOPPER IS NOT GOING TO WORK AND WE NEED TO COME UP WITH ANOTHER, SHE HAD THREE MONTHS TO FIGURE THAT OUT. SHE PROCEEDED TO CATCH AN ATTITUDE WHEN WE ORIGINALLY TRIED TO DROP OUR TOPPER OFF. SHE IS A BIT ON THE PRICEY SIDE AS WELL. SHE THEN COMPLAINED WHEN SHE HAD TO "STAY UP ALL NIGHT BAKING A NEW TOP TIER TO FIT OUR TOPPER". DO YOURSELF A FAVOR AND LOOK ELSEWHERE.

Sent on 05/31/2012

Jo · Married on 01/22/2011

1.4
      1.0

I see that pretty much all of you gave a 5/5 review for her but I feel differently. We met with her to taste her cakes and icings way in advance. We were up front with her as to what we wanted and i had a picture of the cake (which to note was not fancy AT ALL). First off her cake was heavy like meatloaf and her icing was so sweet you could taste nothing else. It tasted like cheap wilton cake from the grocery store. She then priced us at around $800- $900 for the cake (which was only 2 tiers and one color with no design). WHOOOAA! she then proceeded to say "I know I'm more expensive then others" She didn't know we had already been to 5 other places and got quotes which were alot less than hers, by half the price. I don't care if you make desserts for stokesay, it doesn't mean you can jack up your prices. The person I got my cake from makes desserts for 3 very elegant restaurants and it was half the price and I actually added a 3rd tier. After about 3 months she kept calling my phone off the hook and finally we got back to her. She got very defensive and said "Well you can always go to Giant" then proceeded to say "I don't know of anyone who is cheaper than $4.50 a slice". Ummm yeah you do or you wouldn't have made that comment about being more expensive than others.

Just saying.