Camellia Gardens Reviews

46 | Monroe, NC

46 Reviews for Camellia Gardens

Eric · Married on 09/17/2017

The minute I saw Camellia Gardens, I fell in love! The location and the owner were incredible! The owner Marilyn is a gem, sweet and kind and so helpful!! Camellia Gardens' greenery and flowers are gorgeous and there are several beautiful locations to have a wedding ceremony, indoor and outdoor. We got married in front of the pergola and danced the night away under the beautiful twinkling lights!! Camellia gardens was a dream come true with its gorgeous sunsets, beautiful ceremony backdrops, and it's incredible staff!

Sent on 10/09/2017

Camellia Gardens's reply:

Erica, we all loved the way your beautiful flowers and decorations complimented our gardens and lawns. It was an amazing day, and it was such a joy to be part of the beginning of your married life with Taylor! Very best wishes!

Angelia · Married on 08/19/2017

First of all, Camellia Gardens was perfect in every aspect. From the helpfulness and the incredible attention-to-detail of the amazing Marilyn to the breathtaking views to all the endless possibilities this venue has. I booked this venue in August 2016 (shortly after they opened as a wedding venue) for my August 19th, 2017 wedding. From the beginning Marilyn was very responsive, kind, and reassuring. She was very accommodating and truly helped my vision come to life. She went above and FAR beyond all expectations and I would say she became a good friend as well! My day was the definition of perfect and I couldn't have pictured it being anywhere else! I viewed 14 venues, and this one absolutely took the cake! I recommend this venue 120%!! Loved the people and the place! Cannot wait to share my professional photos to this page once they come back!

Sent on 08/24/2017

Camellia Gardens's reply:

Thanks to Angelia for an unexpectedly wonderful review! This wedding was so amazing as Angelia's family drew upon their Hawaiian heritage and gave all in attendance a taste of that beautiful land with authentic hula dancers, ukulele and drum music, and fire dancers. The guests were awed. I was too! Thanks again to Angelia and Adam for choosing us for their wedding venue!

Lou Ellen · Married on 07/14/2017

This is a beautiful venue with friendly, knowledgeable and attentive staff. I would recommend Camellia Gardens to anyone for Weddings or other celebrations.

Shelby · Married on 07/01/2017

Camellia Gardens is an outstanding venue! Not only is the scenery breathtaking but the staff goes above and beyond. Marilyn truly cares and will do anything in her power to make the impossible, possible. Their outdoor venue provided the perfect backdrop to a idyllic ceremony and reception despite the threat of rain. I will certainly recommend this venue to future brides.

Sent on 07/05/2017

Camellia Gardens's reply:

Thanks so much for your kind words!

Katherine · Married on 07/01/2017

We just had our ceremony and reception at Camellia Gardens on 7/1/17!

I cannot say enough amazing things about Marilyn, the venue, and the entire experience... and that's with a spontaneous rain shower. We ended up using all of the facilities as we were unaware that the storm was coming. Marilyn and her staff along with our wedding coordinator and a few helpful guests, moved our entire reception into the barn seamlessly while I spoke with guests. I was never worried, concerned, or even aware it was happening. Marilyn keeps the brides best interest in mind, adds insightful assistance where needed, and is very accommodating.

We love Camellia Gardens and will continue to promote this venue to any new brides!!

Sent on 07/18/2017

Camellia Gardens's reply:

Katherine, I will never forget your response to all that pouring rain on your wedding day. When I saw you the day after your wedding, you said that it was the MOST wonderful day. Your joyful day was not to be diminished by rain. I love that! Congratulations and very best wishes for a long and joyful life together!

Marge · Married on 06/17/2017

The owners of Camellia Gardens are so flexible and easy to work with. Their property is gorgeous with rolling lawns, flowers, shrubs, and trees that create a true garden environment. We just recommended their venue to our good friends whose son is getting married next year. They are going to love it as much as we do!

Sent on 06/28/2016

Camellia Gardens's reply:

Marge, thank you so much for your kind words!

Samantha · Married on 06/17/2017

The venue is GORGEOUS! Staff was attentive and really made the wedding amazing! We had some light rain and some weather issues before the ceremony started but the staff were so quick to help. They even helped when we got into a pinch with a few things at the reception. Marilyn (owner) is incredibly professional and excellent to work with. I highly recommend this for any event!

Sent on 06/30/2017

Camellia Gardens's reply:

Thank you, Samantha. It was a great event!

Amy · Married on 06/03/2017

Camellia Gardens is the perfect place to hold a special event. We were fortunate enough to hold our daughter's graduation party at this venue. The location was ideal as we were not sure if the weather would cooperate so the ability to chose to hold the event inside our outside up until the last moment is not one we could find in other venues. Marilyn, the owner, was very accommodating offering suggestions of what was possible based on the 'feel' we were looking to achieve. The facility was immaculate with a kitchen, restrooms and bar able to serve our setup. During set up we were having trouble with some of the ballon props and Marilyn was quick to remedy a solution utilizing her own decor to make the backdrop perfect. I highly recommend this stunning facility not only for the flexible venue options but for the personal service and the overall value. My daughters have both mentioned that this would be an ideal facility for their future weddings. I couldn't agree more!

Lori · Married on 05/14/2017

My daughter recently got married at Camellia Gardens and I can't say enough about this venue. The owner, Marilyn was a pleasure to work with from the very beginning. She was very helpful and provided us with lots of ideas & options to give my daughter the day she always dreamed of. Last minute changes where handled like a pro. She is very organized and was always available to answer any of our questions. During the setup and the entire day of the event she and her staff where available to assist. The staff took great care of the guest. They where friendly and provided golf cart services the whole day for the people who needed assistance in getting around. The gardens at Camellia are breathtaking and well taken care of. Everything was perfect....from the gardens to the groom & bridal suite and even the bathrooms are gorgeous!!! Our guest did not have a bad thing to say about the venue. We would definitely recommend this venue!!

Sent on 06/04/2017

Camellia Gardens's reply:

Thanks to all of the family and guests of Amanda and Chad for making Mother's Day such a beautiful and meaningful day for all of us at Camellia Gardens. Your wedding and reception were so elegant and personal, it was a joy to be part of the day. We are so grateful you chose our property for your families' big day!

Judy · Married on 05/05/2017

We are so thankful to have found Camelia Gardens! The setting is so beautiful and serene. We could not have been more pleased with our choice of Camelia Gardens for our sons wedding reheasrsal dinner. Marilyn is a pure joy to work with!

Sent on 07/03/2017

Camellia Gardens's reply:

Judy, the greatest compliment a client can give us is to book a second event with us. After your amazing rehearsal dinner, we were thrilled you called us for your mother's birthday party and for your daughter's graduation celebration. Thank you for choosing Camellia Gardens as the venue for your family's precious times together!

Alexis · Married on 04/22/2017

I hosted my senior graduation party at this venue and was HIGHLY impressed. Due to the insanely hot North Carolina summer weather, we decided to move the celebration from outside to inside last minute. Although I am sure this was a stressful change for staff, everything went smoothly and seamlessly. There are beautiful photo ops all throughout the property and the business owners are nothing but kind and helpful. I would 100% book an event with them again & recommend the business to any family members or friends looking for a wedding, party, or picture venue.

Monica · Married on 11/11/2016

This venue made our wedding day perfect! It appealed to me because we were allowed to use whichever vendor, florist, planner we wanted. Marilyn and staff were so very accommodating, warm and inviting. I highly recommend this venue for any wedding.

Sent on 05/16/2017

Camellia Gardens's reply:

Monica, thank you so much for your recommendation! You were also delightful to work with!

Pam · Married on 11/05/2016

Looking for multiple options in one location this is it! Excellent to work with! Venue had everything we needed and more! Our experience was excellent! Accommodated an indoor option due to weather! Can't say enough about the property and the personnel! 5 Stars!

Sent on 11/11/2016

Camellia Gardens's reply:

Thank you, Pam, for your kind words! Your event was so amazing, and what a great family you have!

Rachel · Married on 09/25/2016

Our wedding is in September and my finance and I are so excited to have our ceremony under the grand oak and our reception in the barn. The kids will have plenty of space to run on the lawn, so no boredom there! And we don’t have to worry about the rain. Thank goodness they have a rain plan for both the ceremony and the reception! It’s going to be a magical day!

Sent on 06/27/2016

Camellia Gardens's reply:

We look forward to having you here, Rachel! It will be a great event!

Shelley · Married on 09/03/2016

Great people great place so many options.

Sent on 10/04/2016

Camellia Gardens's reply:

What a great time WE had!

Madison · Married on 07/23/2016

I love Camellia Gardens! As an event planner I am constantly looking for venues with natural beauty. Starting with such an amazing backdrop really makes the entire event come together! The barn and grand oak are the perfect location for any wedding ceremony- rain or shine! Another great aspect of Camellia Gardens is the ability to have both your ceremony and reception at the same venue. The arbor and the terrace overlooking the lake are absolutely stunning places for a reception! The grounds are beautifully landscaped and everything is clean and well kept. I adore the bridal room- perfect for any size wedding party to get ready, and decorated to be the perfect backdrop for all the "getting ready" photos you can imagine. The owners are friendly, extremely professional and do their best to provide the best experience possible at a great price. The venue location is perfect for a wedding away from city chaos yet still easily accessible. Working with the venue was effortless, allowing more time spent on other aspects of the wedding planning process. Do not miss out on this beautiful venue! It will surely add that special "something" to your big day.

Sent on 07/19/2016

Camellia Gardens's reply:

Thank you, Madison, for your thoughtful review!

Amanda · Married on 06/04/2016

As a photographer, I spent an afternoon with my client at Camellia Gardens photographing for her bridal portraits. The bride was so thrilled with the lawns, the gardens, and especially the pergola overlooking the lake! The bridal suite is nice too! Both of us were so pleased with the sunset lighting and the “golden hour” effect we captured in some of her photos. Camellia Gardens is a perfect place to get married, and it's nice to have different options for your perfect day. The owners are really wonderful too, and will make it a breeze to plan your wedding day at the venue!

Sent on 06/28/2016

How thoughtful!

Stefanie · Married on 06/27/2015

I recently had my wedding at Camellia Gardens and everyone raved about how beautiful it was. Throughout the whole process Marilyn was helpful and accommodating. The day of my wedding her daughter Virginia was on the grounds overseeing things and she was such a delightful addition. Our ceremony was held under the large tree and our reception was up on the terrace under the market lights. We couldn't have asked for better weather but the back up plan of the greenhouse never worried me because it is also beautiful. Our guests had a wonderful time and all of them have since told me what a beautiful venue the gardens were. If you are planning your wedding or any event really andyou want a unique space I would definitely suggest stopping by and checking it out.

Sent on 05/06/2018

J · Married on 09/23/2017

3.8
      3.0

Camellia Gardens is a beautiful venue with many options to choose from for having your ceremony and/or reception. We were given use of the entire property. Marilyn was a delight to work with and was very accommodating to our needs. The golf carts were a nice addition and her staff were very helpful. We had a fall evening wedding here and enjoyed the entire view.

One thing that did upset me (I did not realize as I was getting ready and only found out after my wedding) was that while our wedding party was setting up our decorations, Marilyn was walking around and giving tours on-site to the public. Others in my wedding party were wondering why there were "unknown visitors" walking around and touching our decor. Even my coordinator was confused. I was not aware that this would happen as I had figured the entire day would have been be closed off for our private event. This was quite unprofessional and should have been addressed, but unfortunately, it wasn't. Other than this, we enjoyed the rest of the night with no complaints.

Sent on 10/18/2017

Camellia Gardens's reply:

Juliette, thank you for your review of your experience on our property, and I am very disappointed and apologetic that your experience was not perfect. As ALL of our brides and grooms are people who have careers and work mostly Monday through Friday, oftentimes a Saturday is the only day they can come visit. Or sometimes parents come into town and a Saturday is the only time they can some see the venue selected by the couple. It is important to us that all of the people involved in the decision-making process have an opportunity to see all the spaces that they will be able to use on their own wedding day. I remember you and your fiancé even visited with your parents on a Saturday while a wedding was being set up. Our policy is that these Saturday tours are given only during the set-up phase of the event - long before the wedding party begins to assemble for photos, etc. We certainly were not aware nor would we ever have encouraged visitors to touch decorations, and we apologize for that. Again, thank you for your review, and know that we now make it explicitly clear to brides that tours will likely be occurring on their event date, so there will be no confusion about that.

Kaitlyn · Married on 04/27/2019

3.4
      2.0
      3.0

Great experience but the day of shocked me a bit

We loved our wedding, it was our perfect day, however, the day of there were some things that occurred and threw us off a bit. Though we were a bit thrown we loved it over all.

Sent on 06/20/2019

Amber Madden · Married on 01/08/2020

1.0

Camellia Gardens is an absolute DISGRACE.

Marilyn and Mitch of Camellia Gardens should absolutely be ashamed of themselves. 2 weeks prior to our wedding, they called us and made us drive over an hour to meet with them and told us we need to cut our list of 150 guests (which was just fine less than 12 hours ago at our final meeting) to 75 guests. Mitch looked at my wife and I and stated verbatim, “People don’t really like weddings anyway. There’s been plenty of times where I’ve been on my way to a wedding and decided I don’t want to go, so I just turn around.” How could the owner of a WEDDING venue say a thing like that? Especially to the party that has paid in full to have the wedding there? Marilyn and Mitch both stated the reason for them making changes (again 2 weeks prior to our wedding) is due to COVID. We completely understood their concerns and agreed to have our guests sign waivers and maintain a safe distance between each other due to it being an all outdoor wedding. Marilyn and Mitch both stated that wasn’t good enough and wanted us to change our seating groups AGAIN in order to accommodate for 23 guests per group and they were not allowed to interact in between groups for the entirety of the wedding. As over 50% of our guests were coming out of state, we didn’t know how we were going to split them up into groups of 23, let alone uninvite many key family members to our own wedding 2 weeks prior. Speaking to Marilyn on the phone, I had told her that it being 2 weeks away from the wedding, hotels and flights have already been booked for our family members and many of our family members cannot get refunds this close to the date. Fast forward to 9 days before the wedding, Marilyn and Mitch made another important change; no father/daughter dances, cocktail hour, lawn games, or dancing of any kind would be allowed at our wedding. Failure to follow any of their new guidelines would result in Mitch “calling his good friend and Republican Sheriff to come arrest anyone not abiding by their rules.” I again called Marilyn and stated that if any of these concerns had been brought up at our final walkthrough in May (My wedding was originally in June but had been moved to August), we would have made the appropriate changes to allow us to have our wedding at Camellia Gardens. During our final walkthrough in May, NC was in the Phase 1 stage of COVID and we had agreed on having the wedding as planned. 9 days before the wedding, we had to call Marilyn and beg her to try to meet halfway with some of our wedding planning as only having half our guests in attendance, no father/daughter dances, cocktail hour, lawn games for reception, and no dancing. Marilyn talked to me as if I was a child and refused to try to come up with any further solutions. I informed her that it being a little over a week away, I would have to think of a possible change of venue and asked if there would be any refund. I understand not refunding the $500.00 deposit, but to refuse ANY refund at all despite their breach of contract in all of the amenities they offer, is absolutely disgraceful. With 9 days before our wedding, all of our invites, save the dates, alcohol ordered, customized with our date on it items such as ring bearer box, vow books, and other misc. items, the flowers ordered, hotels booked, flights booked, honeymoon flights and hotel booked, linens rented, and caterer food ordered, we had no choice but to find another venue and pay for it IN FULL just 8 days from our wedding date. During the first meeting 2 weeks out from our wedding, our wedding coordinator called Marilyn and Mitch on our behalf as we were distraught to try to discuss changes and Marilyn and Mitch were extremely rude and stated, “If they have a problem with it, they can call us to talk about it.” After the last phone call with them 8 days prior to the wedding, Marilyn and Mitch then tried calling our wedding coordinator to discuss their CLIENT’S changes and never once tried to reach out to us. During this experience, it is abundantly clear that Marilyn and Mitch of Camellia Gardens are strictly in this business for the money and not actually in their client’s best interests in having the best day imaginable. After switching to a new venue, I even had a vast majority of my vendors explain to me how happy they were not to have to work with Camellia Gardens and if they had been booked prior to us finding the venue, they would have told us to stray away from Camellia Gardens. To sum things up, Marilyn and Mitch Eudy of Camellia Gardens are a disgrace to the wedding industry. I highly suggest to anyone reading this that they find a more suitable venue who actually cares about their client’s best day imaginable. (Tipsy Goat Estate in Rock Hill, SC is a phenomenal venue who went above and beyond to make our day perfect with just a week away from our wedding. I couldn’t recommend them more.)

Sent on 08/17/2020

Camellia Gardens's reply:

We would like an opportunity to set the record straight regarding this review. Because of the coronavirus pandemic, the governor of our state handed down an executive order in June restricting outdoor events (including wedding receptions) to a maximum of 25 guests. There was nothing that we could do to change this order. We offered the couple the opportunity to reschedule their wedding, but they refused. In trying to be accommodating and solving a difficult problem for all of our 2020 couples, we came up with the idea to take 3 of our covered outdoor spaces and set those up for dinner seating for our clients so that we could accommodate up to 75 of their guests. Despite the fact that going against the governor’s order was a Class II misdemeanor with punishment of fines and/or imprisonment, and as the reviewer works for the Mecklenburg County Sheriff’s Department, it is surprising that she would ask us to break the law by allowing more than 25 guests in one space for her reception. I understand the disappointment that any bride would have because of the orders handed down by the governor, but to blame us for those restrictions and making it look like we asked them to reduce the number of guests just because we wanted to is completely wrong. Our goal is and has always been to make every wedding day perfect, but when we must abide by rules that we did not make we are not to blame for the disappointment. We were willing to set up multiple reception sites to accommodate as many guests as possible under the governor’s restrictions even though our contract specifically states that one site will be provided. We offered the opportunity to reschedule next year, even at a financial loss to our business. The bottom line is that this wedding was a casualty of the COVID restrictions and if anyone should be ashamed, it is the law enforcement official who demanded that a business put itself at risk to break the law for her event. Even worse would have been a outbreak of COVID on our property when their reception turned into a mass gathering with no social distancing and no masks.