CakeWorks Reviews

CakeWorks 6
CakeWorks 7

a · Married on 08/27/2011

3.5

Abi and CakeWorks produced the most amazing groom's cake for our wedding. He's a crazy Lakers fan and Abi brought our vision to life. She draped a Magic Johnson jersey over a huge basketball sitting on top of the Staples Center. We couldn't even serve the cake at the reception because he was so in love with it.

Sent on 10/04/2011
  • jme96825

Jeannette · Married on 08/25/2007

Our cake was exactly what I wanted and they were the ONLY place in town who I could find to do what I had envisioned and it was beautiful & delicious!

Sent on 04/30/2008

Linda · Married on 02/21/2014

3.0

I ordered a groom's cake, cupcakes & a 2 tier wedding cake for my son & daughter-in-law's wedding. Upon our appointment visit, the service was super. Nothing else was needed until the day of the event. The cake was delivered and set up as planned. It was nice. Colors were exactly what bride & groom wanted. We were a little dissatisfied with how the cakes were decorated. We were hoping for a more elegant look with the fondant decor and more of a thin layer of fondant on the cake. The cake parts and frosting were delish though. My son & daughter-in-law celebrated their 1st anniversary and the *top cake was still perfect!! Cake and all!! It was fondant outside with white cake/fresh strawberries inside. It was just as fresh as on their wedding day!!
    *Keep top cake in original box then completely wrap box with saran wrap/cling wrap a few times around and under. Store in freezer. Day before anniversary, unwrap box & place in refrigerator to thaw over night. Take out about 30 minutes before serving.

Sent on 02/22/2015

VillaRose · Married on 05/11/2012

3.0

I found Cake Works on theknot.com, like I did many of my vendors. My photographer was also pretty stoked when he saw that I chose them for my cake! They took all of the ideas that I had from several different cakes and were able to integrate it into one! My paperwork and emails did seem to get lost in some transition that they were going through, but over all, the cake turned out perfect (and all over my dress and in my nostrils at the wedding).

Sent on 06/13/2012

Shelby · Married on 04/07/2012

3.0

This cake was soooooooo delicious! They didn't call back for a few days, hence the low rating, but our planners swore their price and taste was the best in town, so we went ahead and place our order. We ordered their lilikoi cake which was amazing, back home we don't have tropical fruit so it was nice to experience something tropical like this! yum yum!

Sent on 04/28/2012

Shannon · Married on 07/23/2008

3.0

Quite an expensive cake, but nonetheless gorgeous! I guess you get what you pay for, with expensive being the better bargain for the eyes.

Sent on 08/06/2009

Carole · Married on 06/09/2007

I ordered to cakes from them. One for my wedding cake and one for my parent's anniversary which we were also celebrating at the wedding. It was a great price and you can't beat it anywhere. The only thing is that they were late in delivering it the day of my wedding. Other than that, considering that I had ordered simple cakes, there wasn't much to mess up on.

Sent on 08/13/2008

Mia · Married on 08/07/2016

4.2

I got married on 8/7/16 in Kualoa Ranch, it was a destination wedding. Based on reviews and pricing, I went ahead and booked Cakeworks. I worked with Leilani. She responds through emails in a timely manner. Honeybook is their main form of communication and payment. Being that it was a destination wedding, I sent Leilani pictures of what I wanted my cake to look like. It was going to be a simple look because I knew I was going to add some fresh flowers and my own decorations to the cake.
    Prior to my wedding, I did a cake tasting at Cake Works with my Maid of honor and we chose 2 flavors: Strawberries and Cream and Lilikoi Lemon. Both tasted great! Unlike some reviews, we had unlimited tastings and we were not charged a $20 tasting fee.
    Cake Works pricing was reasonable. I ordered a smooth champagne fondant with white monogram D on a 3-tier 2-flavor cake serving about 50 people. They do charge on delivery depending how far the wedding venue is. They don't charge on how many flavors you want on a cake. I loved how the champagne color and the monogram D turned out. The flavors turned out delicious and we received compliments from our guests. My only caveat since my wedding was outdoors, the heat and humidity caused the 2nd tier on my cake to tilt a little to the right. Other than that, everything else was beautiful.
    I recommend Cake Works. I can't really judge them on creativity because I gave them a picture to follow. However, their service, tasting, pricing, and flavors will not disappoint! Mahalo Cake Works!

Sent on 08/24/2016
  • Charity

Charity · Married on 05/19/2012

3.5

Our cake was divine! I had a picture in my mind and the folks at Cake Works made it a reality. They dove in to a style of artistry they hadn't tried before (ombre airbrushing) and they nailed it! Our cake was demolished in just a few minutes with guests enjoying 2nds and even a few going back for a third slice! It was so moist and absolutely stunning. Thank you!

Sent on 09/07/2012

Jennifer · Married on 08/02/2010

The cake was delicious. We had 3 tiers, mocha macadamia nut crunch, red velvet, & chocolate haupia. Although we didn't want fondant, I'm really glad they recommended it. We had our wedding & reception outdoors, so I didn't have to worry about it melting. I know most people don't like fondant, but it wasn't too bad and if you don't want to eat it, it is very easy to eat around. They even have cupcakes, very yummy!

Sent on 09/01/2010

Heather · Married on 07/03/2012

Our cake was beautiful and delivered on-time. We had a two-tier cake with fresh flowers. I'm not sure if all cake vendors do this, but in order to get an appointment/consultation, I had to give a non-refundable $25 deposit that could be used toward the cake purchase. Luckily, I've had one of their desserts before and planned on going with them. Otherwise, I might not have been willing to pay the deposit if I was still shopping around for other cake vendors.

Sent on 09/28/2012

Emily · Married on 08/05/2006

My cake turned out beautifully and tasted great. They did exactly what I wanted. The wedding coordinator did most of the communication with them, so I didn't have to really deal with them directly. But they had no problems either. They of course let us try the flavors ahead of time when we went in the store - no appointment needed. I would recommend them as a cake vendor.

Sent on 08/31/2008

Paula · Married on 05/23/2013

3.8
      3.0

Send in pics of what you want, describe any additions or deletions to those pics
    Taste flavors before selecting
    Give them at least a two week notice, three preferably

Sent on 12/14/2016

Lane · event on 06/20/2015

3.0

I needed a custom made cake with a New York Yankees theme and it was a last minute decision so the cake request was on the day of the event and CakeWorks came through. I'd like to thank the staff at CakeWorks for going to bat for me. It was a Grandslam!!⚾️⚾️?

Sent on 06/20/2015
  • I

Stephanie · Married on 03/10/2007

3.0

I chose this bakery because they were quick and offered competitive prices for beautifully designed cakes. Through them, I chose a simple white cake which a floral designer friend of mine decorated. It turned out perfect.

Sent on 03/12/2009

Michelle · Married on 08/11/2011

3.0

Our 3 layered cake was absolutely beautiful. The Lilikoi with fresh blueberries was amazing. The red velvet and guava cake was unfortunately dry. A bit disappointing considering it was a bit pricy for the cake.

Sent on 08/26/2011

Gina · Married on 02/11/2011

3.0

My initial cake vendor was Satura Cakes but they unfortunately closed their business a few months before my wedding and so I had to scramble to find a good replacement.

Cake Works was recommended to me and I decided to go with them based on some positive feedback that I heard.

My cake design was pretty difficult so I am not faulting them entirely for not meeting my expectations. I would say in terms of artistry, they are not very strong but with taste, it was great. For people with complex cake designs, I would recommend to probably go with another vendor.

Sent on 03/09/2011
  • richnbo

Bobbie Jean & Richard Allan · Married on 07/17/2010

3.2
      2.5

I specifically requested for a water fountain cake and Abby of Cakeworks said that they can do it for about $800.00. I went with them, instead of going with my other choices. I went over the paperwork/order receipt that Abby of Cakeworks wrote up and it was clearly noted that there is to be a water fountain.

When I finally saw my cake during my wedding reception, there was NO WATER FOUNTAIN to be found! Apparently, Abby from Cakeworks had mistakenly forgotten about the most IMPORTANT factor that I specifically requested. I was furious and completely disappointed, as this was a once in a lifetime event for me.

It took me a couple of days to calm down, before I could call them up to find out what happened to my cake. Apparently, Abby told me that they can refund me for the water fountain charges, only. That's it??? Are you kidding me??? I told Abby that I wasn't satisfied with her solution and that she'd have one day to think of a better offer.

The next day, I went in to Cakeworks and Abby agreed to provide me with a $370 gift certificate that I can use at their establishment within the year. I figured that was a better deal than what she originally offered the day before. I could have been a cold hearted you know what, but I had just gotten married and it's my Husband that completes me... not some wedding cake. So, I warmly accepted Abby's offer and left Cakeworks in a gracious manner.

Seriously, if you're going to get your wedding cake from this place... I strongly suggest that you stay on top of them like white on rice. Otherwise, their cakes and pastries are delicious.

Sent on 08/13/2010

David · Married on 07/26/2008

3.2
      3.0

Cake turned out the way we wanted it, after we could get them to take our order. Had trouble initially convincing them to answer the phone and then that I was serious about purchasing my wedding cake from them. However, on the day of the wedding they did a really nice job setting up the cake at our reception venue and the cake looked really good. It tasted pretty good too.

Sent on 06/28/2009

Alexandra · Married on 07/07/2017

3.0

I hate to be the bride who leaves a bad review but I have to be honest! I had the most perfect wedding and the only thing wrong was the cake. It looked beautiful! 5 stars on looks alone if thats all you care about. But it was the most dry, flavorless cake I've ever had. Which is a huge deal for me because I loveeee sweets and it killed me to see the cake sitting on all the tables uneaten! I could just tell that none of the guests liked it and I took one bite and felt the same. Not only that but they mixed up the flavors on the cake tiers, so my guests ended up getting the special flavor I picked for the groom and I to have as the top tier. This was extra upsetting because I clarified this with Koree extensively via back-and-forth email about how if I couldn't have red velvet on the top then I didn't want a top tier. I know not everyone even likes red velvet which is why I didn't chose it for my guests. Too bad because it was a beautiful cake, I just wish it had tasted like it.

Sent on 07/25/2017

CakeWorks's reply:

Hello Alexandra,

I am so sorry to hear that we did not get your flavors right! I do apologize profusely for our mistake. I did look into it to find out how this happened, and I can only say that it was an oversight by Koree my admin when the invoicing got switched over from the wedding planner to you. It should not have happened, and I thank you for bringing it to our attention.
    Chef Abi

JOYCE · Married on 03/25/2017

2.2
      1.5
      2.0

I would double check if Cake works has too many orders on the day of my event. I think that's what happen to our event, I mean there's no excuse whatsoever because they could have refuse my order if they had too many cakes to make/deliver in a day. My son's cake was supposed to be delivered by 5PM, Guy came to the venue on time but did not have all the cupcakes I ordered, I don't know why he has to make 2 trips to the bakery just to get the other 25? Anyway it was an additional burden on my side, I had to call the bakery @6PM asking wether or not someone is coming back to put the cake together (I rented a cupcake stand for $150), somewhere around 630PM is when they got it done. No big deal because guest are not to eat at the beginning but it just does not look good that cake is sitting there undone. And I don't know if it's supposed to be my fault but I specifically requested a #1 candle to be placed on the cake, I mean who has a Birthday cake without a candle, did not realized the guy who delivered/put the cake together missed that important part of the cake! I didn't get to check because I was already busy with our guests. Anyway, I would assign someone to check my cake if it's done or on time.

Sent on 03/27/2017

2.2
      1.5
      1.0
      1.0

Everything was good until 2 weeks before my wedding when Im ready to make my final payment and they tell me they can't find any payment whatsoever because the person who took care of me quit. Everything was resolved until I got my cake on my wedding day. It was NOT simple vintage and classy whatsoever it looked like an old grandmas cake. Even worse the cake was not moist it was dry and did not taste good whatsoever!!! I'd recommend a cake life for design, their proposals look more professional and their detailed coloring and drawings are 10x better. I haven't tried their cake but honestly Betty Crocker from Safeway tastes better than cake works.

Sent on 07/24/2013