Cakes by Jan Reviews

28 | Lakeville, MN

28 Reviews for Cakes by Jan

Kelly · Married on 07/21/2017

Choosing Jan to bake our wedding cakes was one of the best decisions we made! She is so sweet and really took the time to get to know our specific tastes. Her attention to detail and passion for her craft are evident in her cakes; they are AMAZING. Thank you, Jan!

Sent on 08/05/2017

Kate · Married on 09/17/2016

Our plan for a wedding cake was simple. We wanted a subtly elegant cake with a couple different flavors, butter cream frosting, in a round three tiered design. The tasting was so relaxed and fun and day of we received a beautiful cake that tasted better than other more popular wedding cake options. We had chocolate cake with chocolate ganache filling, and lemon cake with raspberry filling. It was entertaining to see the guests so happy with the taste of the both flavors. Our cake was displayed beautifully on a stand Jan provided for just a $10 rental fee and $50 deposit (which was promptly returned to us.) She is a true artist and we were very happy with the final result and the price was very reasonable. We would highly recommend her to anyone!

Sent on 10/29/2016

Amy · Married on 07/22/2016

There aren't enough words to described how pleased we were working with Jan!! We were referred to her by a family friend and we are SO glad that we chose her to create our cake for our wedding. We visited a few other vendors and were blown away when we visited with her! She spent SO much time with us during our initial meeting...she answered all of our questions, gave us detailed information about her process, showed us many photos of her work, and even sketched out options for our cake! In my opinion this was above and beyond for our first meeting. It was so nice to leave her knowing that we already had a fairly good idea of what our cake would look like. This was especially important for us as we were planning our MN wedding from our home in TX. Anytime we had a question we knew she was just an email away which was wonderful. She was so easy-going and patient and did a wonderful job of including all that we wanted. Compared to other vendors we visited many things stood out about Jan...her friendly and relaxed nature and her obvious passion for her craft! BUT..one thing I was so impressed with was that her cake was beautiful on the outside AND the inside! When we had our tasting I couldn't help but smile at how pretty the cake looked cut. We fell in love with all of the flavors she presented. We had trouble choosing so we combined many! Our bottom layer was white chocolate cake with raspberry filling and lemon cake with apricot filling. (AN amazing combination in one slice of cake!!!) Our second layer was pink champagne...which was made with real champagne of course and was a gorgeous pink color! Lastly our top tier was marble, white and chocolate,with a milk chocolate ganache! Yum! She even included a gorgeous silver cake stand for free! Jan went above and beyond for us when we asked her about a week before our wedding to make us a small birthday cake for my mom and cousin for the day after our wedding! Jan is fantastic and we highly recommend her!!

Sent on 08/29/2016

Brittany · Married on 06/04/2016

Oh my goodness, I can't believe Cakes by Jan is still a secret to so many soon-to-be-brides to be honest. Hands down, the best value and best-tasting cake than any of the larger competitors where you are simply another booking to them. She was so easy to work, she took my vision and perfected it, delivered our cake to our venue (about an hour's drive for her) and truth be told, charged me an end amount I'm a little sheepish to admit we paid for such high-quality cake for 100 guests (in a good way!!). We had vintage inspired wedding with a champagne tower and being intrigued by an earlier review of hers stating she made a champagne cake for them - we followed suit and boy, were we glad we did! It was DELICIOUS. However, so were many of her other cakes we sampled so we ended up choosing two other flavors as well - chocolate cake with amaretto liquor & white chocolate mousse and marble cake with cream de menthe and white chocolate mousse. Our guests loved every one! We will definitely be going back to Jan to make our anniversary cakes!

Sent on 06/14/2016

Samantha · Married on 05/14/2016

Cakes by Jan is the best! Tasted at 3 separate places, Jan was by far the best. Very professional, tastiest cake, and most affordable. Many guests complimented the cake, and she made my life easy (as a busy bride you will be thankful!)

Sent on 05/22/2016

Jan was easy to work with and our cake was amazing- just what we wanted! Everyone commented how good the cake tasted! We did chocolate chocolate chip with peanut butter filling, marble cake with chocolate ganache filling and white almond cake with raspberry filling. VERY tasty!

Sent on 01/03/2016

Meghan · Married on 10/10/2015

Jan did a fabulous job with the cakes for our October 10 wedding. She was easy to work with, took great notes, and most importantly of all, makes delicious cakes. Several guests commented that it was the best cake they've had at a wedding and a few even thought it was from a more expensive bakery. Thanks Jan for making such a beautiful cake!

Sent on 10/21/2015

Kayla · Married on 09/26/2015

Jan was so great to work with. We were invited to her bakery to test a number of different cakes/frosting/fillings. She provided her expertise on the design as I came in with probably 20 different ideas. She was so easy to work with and provided us with a tray to use at the reception site. She was super affordable, and we received so many compliments on the cake!

Sent on 10/05/2015

Swathi · Married on 09/19/2015

It was a pleasant experience working with Jan. We had customized our cake with patterns that had to match the color theme and I was specific about the pattern and swirls. She was easy to work with and very patient as well. Very accommodating and flexible. I would surely recommend Cakes by Jan. Affordable for a gorgeous looking cake that tastes delicious :)

Sent on 10/15/2015

Cake looked great and was delivered and set up by Jan herself, no worrying on my part. We also got tons of compliments from guests about how good it was.

Sent on 09/17/2015

Mollie · Married on 10/17/2014

Jan is fantastic! We were so happy with her professionalism and her creativity. We did not know what we wanted for our cake, but we did know we wanted a small tier cake and sheet cakes for guests. We had originally thought purchasing sheet cakes from a Costco would be so much cheaper Once we tasted Jan's cake and the prices she offered we chose to have her do everything for us. She came up with a fantastic design for our cake based on the pictures we showed her of what we liked. The options of cake, filling and frosting was fantastic! She had great pairing options and had a great set up when we met with her for a tasting. Jan is also extremely flexible, which was really helpful for us during the planning stage when my husband's schedule was very challenging. Jan delivered the cake and a cake topper, and had everything set up very quickly. I would highly recommend Jan for an event and I would definitely go back to her in the future.

Sent on 01/04/2015

Caitlin · Married on 07/26/2014

We tasted multiple cakes from MANY different vendors before deciding to go with Jan and it was such a great decision we made! Not only was her cake the best we tasted (her buttercream frosting is seriously to die for), but she also helped us decide how to decorate it so it would go with our wedding colors and theme. We did a three tiered cake and a sheet and a 1/4 of two different flavors, a white almond cake with raspberry and raspberry white chocolate filling and a marble cake with chocolate ganache and white chocolate filling. Both flavors tasted amazing and every guest I talked to at the wedding said they loved the cake and asked where it was from. On top of all that, the cake was also just a PORTION of the cost of other bakeries we got quotes from (even the delivery was included). Seriously, go meet with Jan and try her cake and you will fall in love with it too!

Sent on 07/28/2014

Carrie · Married on 06/07/2014

I would highly recommend Cakes by Jan for any event! Jan is very friendly, helpful and a true professional! But most importantly she makes amazingly delicious cakes! Her attention to detail, etc. is top notch! We loved our wedding cake and cupcakes! Thank you Jan!

Sent on 06/12/2014

We loved Cakes by Jane! Our wedding cake was delicious, beautiful, and was a better price than any other wedding cake bakers and bakery shops in the south metro. She listened to our requests and executed them perfectly! Since then, she has done a small anniversary cake for us and a 1st birthday cake for our son. We can't recommend her enough! Book her! You will not be disappointed!!

Sent on 10/02/2014
  • Lindsey

Lindsey · Married on 08/03/2013

Jan is simply fantastic. In addition to her professionalism, flexibility, and openness, her cakes were quite honestly the best cakes I've tasted in about 20 years. She was the only baker (after visiting several of the typical, popular Twin City bakeries) that didn't tell our daughter and future son-in-law that what they were envisioning couldn't happen. They wanted to have cakes as centerpieces for all the tables at their reception meaning that the cake would not only function as dessert but as the main decor for the table as well. Because they wanted to do this, they wanted the cakes to reflect their unique wedding color and wanted to have several different flavors and designs. Every other bakery wanted to charge a small fortune per cake to match the color or to have more than one flavor. Not Jan. She was open to many designs, colors and even offered wonderful suggestions to make their cakes unique. And her prices were very reasonable. Jan has a renovated, beautiful bakery attached to her home in Lakeville. Upon learning that I don't know what I was expecting but it was a full stainless steel kitchen, immaculately clean with an impressive display of her cakes. And it smelled amazing!!! After tasting her cakes, we will be driving to Lakeville for any future birthday or special occasion cakes we need even though it is quite a drive for us. It is WELL worth it! We are still hearing from our guests how wonderful the cakes were!!! Jan, thank you for being such an integral part of their special day! You were an absolute joy to work with and we can't wait till our next occasion to order one of your incredible cakes!

Sent on 08/19/2013
  • Jill

Jill · Married on 09/14/2012

So delicious!!! The cake comes standard with 4 layers. We chose 2 different flavors and got so many compliments. The cake was beautifully designed, to our exact specifications... which honestly, was my priority. The taste was "icing on the cake" so to speak! As a bonus, Jan came in substantially below every other cake vendor we tasted with, and none could compete with her flavor.

Sent on 09/20/2012

Jan was wonderful to work with. She made it very easy to see what exactly our cake options were in terms of sizes and flavors because it was all right there on display. She runs her business right next door to her home and we had her full attention for our appointment and spent as much time as we needed discussing our options. Jan was flexible with making changes and had no problem creating the designs we wanted. My husband wanted vanilla and I wanted lemon cake, so she gave us different flavors on each layer to satisfy both of us! Finally, and most importantly, the cake was delicious!

Sent on 08/29/2012

Super easy to work with, affordable, cake was exactly what I wanted and it tasted great!
    I love cake & visited 4 different bakeries, but this one was best! The cake was fantastic! Everything I wanted! Lots of people said the cake tasted great!
    So glad I went with Cakes by Jan!!

Sent on 06/26/2012

Markie · Married on 01/06/2012

Its the BEST cake you will ever eat. Its made by a little older couple right out of there house. They have a bakery attached and it smells soo good as you enter. They are the kindest people to work with and are extraordinarily talented people. We tasted many cakes and frostings before choosing what was best for us. I highly recommend marble cake with chocolate ganache and butte rcream frosting!

Sent on 01/15/2012

Emily · Married on 12/31/2011

We are so happy that we went with Cakes by Jan for our wedding cake. We just wanted to have a small two tier cake to display and have for a cake cutting. It ended up being one of our favorite desserts on our dessert buffet. My only regret was not having more! It looked amazing and tasted even better (lemon cake with raspberry and white chocolate strawberry fillings). She was very flexible and professional. We ended up having to cancel our first meeting due to weather and she was able to fit us in for a last minute appointment no problem. Her value was spot on. We were originally quoted by a different bakery almost double what she charged us. We highly recommend Cakes by Jan!

Sent on 01/06/2012
  • Sylvie

Sylvie · Married on 10/09/2011

Jan herself is so friendly and professional. Her cake is amazingly delicious. It was the best wedding cake I've ever had, and I'm so glad to say it was my own! Jan is fast at responding and open to changes. Jan called me promptly 2 weeks before my wedding to confirm the details. Couldn't have asked for a better cake or a better vendor! Even my venue had incredible things to say about Jan! Thank you so much for a beautiful, delicious cake and a pleasant and easy personal experience!

Sent on 10/20/2011

Stephanie · Married on 09/17/2011

jan@cakesbyjanmn.com

Jan Stephens is amazing! If you are in the South Metro Twin Cities area you can't find a better cake vendor - and for all those north of the river she is so worth the short drive to Lakeville to see her beautiful cakes and smell the wonderful creations at her shop! Jan is so fun to work with!! She is so creative and can picture exactly what you are looking for! I got both the wedding cake and the grooms cake through Jan and they were both a huge hit! People actually ate their cake - and we all know that doesn't always happen at weddings! I would recommend Jan to everyone planning a wedding!

Sent on 10/19/2011

Katie · Married on 09/10/2011

Cakes by Jan is AMAZING. Jan is SO nice and her cakes are DELICIOUS!

My husband (then fiancee) and I have different opinions on what makes a good cake. I like the whipped cream frosting and he likes the full sugar royal icing. Jan's cakes were perfectly in between. We went for our cake tasting and tasted so many wonderful flavors of cake and icing/filling.

She is so flexible too! We couldn't decide what type of filling we wanted - chocolate ganache or raspberry cream. Instead of making us decide she did both in the same cake layer at no charge! It was awesome tasting!

She is very affordable (as far as wedding cakes go) and she is prompt and professional. She delivered our cake to our wedding site way before it needed to be there and it looked and tasted AMAZING! We got so many compliments on it!

She also made a grooms cake as a surprise for my husband. He LOVES the Duke Basketball team. She made an awesome cake that was a replica of the stadium. It was so cute! We chose chocolate cake with chocolate mint filling (YUM!).

I could not give her enough compliments. Both cakes were wonderful and I will choose her in a heartbeat for any other event we need a cake for.

Sent on 09/23/2011

Sam · Married on 06/25/2011

My wife and I got our wedding cake from here and we were more than pleased. She took the time to sit down with us and design our wedding cake. It turned out better than I imagined. And her prices were so ecconmical. Totally worth it!!!

Sent on 07/19/2011

Holly · Married on 09/03/2010

Reasonably-priced. Very good flavor and did not charge extra for picking two. Design was just what we wanted. Good artistry.

Sent on 09/22/2010