Bula Akamu Reviews

• WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2015 Winner
  • WeddingWire Couples' Choice Awards 2014 Winner

T Williams Married on 11/24/2021

just excellent, no less

Bula was phenomenal for my daughters wedding. He played and song beautifully and was a tremendous DJ with a ton of equipment. But most importantly he played ukulele and sang with my son as I walked my daughter down the aisle. SPECTACULAR. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE BULA
  • April
    April W. Married on 11/02/2021

Fantastic!

Bula is a MUST addition to a wedding or any other event. I felt like I had hired a famous singer! He really made my daughters wedding entertaining, romantic, and a Hawaiian feel to it! His team are professional and easy to work with! He is also very reasonably priced!
    Anna Married on 10/16/2021

Bula is amazing!

Bula was absolutely amazing! We worked with him for almost two years due to Covid and having to postpone our wedding in 2020. Over the course of the two years we worked with him, we had a few changes to our wedding size which impacted the services we needed from Bula. Throughout all the changes, he and his team were nothing but understanding and professional. For part of the planning process most of our communication with his team was through the on-site coordinator at the Marriott, however we were able to speak to his manager the week before the wedding to iron out all of the last bit of details, and she was just amazing. Bula and his team were nothing but professional, they were happy to answer numerous questions that we had, and we felt very comfortable with them and very confident that they understood the vibe and feel we were aiming to have during the ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception.

Bula absolutely exceeded any expectations we had. Not only does he have an amazing voice and skill, but he is warm and personable and just made us feel at home during our reception through his music. He engaged with our guests and just by the atmosphere we knew that everyone was relaxed and having a great time, which is exactly what we'd hoped for. All night and even the next day, we received so many compliments on how great Bula was and how much everyone enjoyed his live music.

Bula's voice and musicianship are exceptional and we would highly recommend him to anyone looking for a musician for their ceremony and/or reception. You will not be disappointed!
    Dawn Married on 07/25/2021

My husband and I had Bula sing, play his beautiful music AND emcee our welcome brunch, our wedding ceremony and our reception. We were in awe of Bula!

Bula has a velvet voice; a wonderful gift as a musician; and is a talented emcee. He immediately put us at ease for our wedding welcome brunch and our wedding day. We would use Bula for every anniversary that is to come as well! Absolutely the BEST!
    Kurt S. Married on 07/25/2021

Bula was amazing! From start to finish, he was professional & greatly talented.

My wife had Bula learn "our" song for our first dance, and it was an amazing surprise! Not only did Bula sing a meaningful song for the procession & first dance, but his talent as an emcee and entertainer exceeded our expectations. Bula helped create a day that we will never forget!
  • Jessica
    Jessica R. Married on 07/17/2021

Absolutely essential for our wedding atmosphere!

We got married in mid July 2021 on the Big Island. We booked Bula at the beginning of the year, and through all the Covid updates and restrictions, Bula and Ash were so responsive and helpful with feeling confident about our big day. Bula's music during our ceremony and cocktail hour took our wedding to the next level. He plays with such sincerity and was instrumental to creating depth through his music while I walked down the aisle and during our ceremony. My guests absolutely loved his performance, as did my husband and I. Bula made our big moment so special and unique, and our cocktail hour spirited and upbeat with his talented flair! I highly recommend Bula for your ceremony and reception!
    K Suizo Married on 06/15/2021

Most fitting choice for our island wedding

Bula was recommended to us by our venue coordinator. We wanted a musician who could do both contemporary music and traditional Hawaiian songs for our ceremony and cocktail hour. While we didn't get to meet with him before our wedding like we did our other vendors, he absolutely did not disappoint. Bula's rendition of "Better Together" was beautiful and now my husband's favorite version of the song. The only downside was that we didn't get to listen to him perform at our cocktail hour, haha. Our guests loved him though !
    Melanie R. Married on 05/08/2021

Best money we spent on our wedding

Bula was absolutely amazing. Our guests could not stop praising his music. We did our research before deciding on Bula, and I can definitely tell you the difference of having a Berkeley school of music trained musician made a huge difference. I truly believe Bula’s voice and talent as a musician was the missing piece to our perfect wedding. I cannot recommend him enough. Cannot wait to hear his voice again. Thank you so much Bula, our first dance will forever be one of our fondest memories.
  • Monica
    Monica M. Married on 05/03/2021

Amazing Musician!

Bula is such a talented musician! He sang while I walked down the aisle at my wedding and even during the cocktail hour at our reception. He was a total hit with our guests and I highly recommend! He is really professional and will add the perfect touch to your special day. He also knows a lot of songs!
    Andrew L. Married on 04/17/2021

Wonderful Experience

Bula was the best singer. We were so lucky he was available for our wedding. He arrived early, and set up and really created a beautiful mood with his amazing voice. He even stayed and played more requests. We were teary eyed with how beautiful his music was. He was kind and easy to work with. Our wedding was Saturday , April 17, 2021 at Kohanaiki on the Big Island.
  • Kiara
    Kiara I. Married on 04/17/2021

Best singer ever

Bula was amazing! He made our special day even more special. We couldn’t be more grateful to have him in our wedding. He was easy to work with and helped us make the whole ceremony even more magical with his beautiful voice.
  • Richie
    Richie J. Married on 02/13/2021

Wonderful!

We were planning to have our wedding earlier this year, but with covid, we had to cancel the wedding all together. All the other vendors were very unresponsive and uncooperative. However, Bula was very responsive and we were able to get our initial deposit back. He even offered to send us a free cd of his music. I think this speaks volume of his character. I know if we ever resume our plans to have a 2nd wedding in Hawaii, I'll definitely be calling Bula for our music.
  • Veronica
    Veronica H. Married on 12/10/2020

Don’t look any further... absolute perfection!!

Bula was so good and extremely responsive. Planning a wedding during COVID with so many uncertainties, he was flexible given the circumstances. We loved him so much we asked him to stay for the whole wedding. Bula has a huge list of songs for everyone and will tailor to whatever you want!!
  • Owen
    Owen K. Married on 06/03/2020

Couldn't have asked for better outcome.

We flew from Australia and planning an overseas wedding is quite tricky. We were so so happy with Ash Lee and Bula's help in getting us across the line. Ash Lee went above and beyond to make sure absolutely everything went smoothly, even staying after she had to...her anticipation of our needs was incredible, and she was always there, in the background with an attentive eye.

We found Bula through Wedding Wire, and not only was his communication and accomodation terrific, the delivery and performance was beyond our expectations...

Overall we couldn't have asked for a better outcome, and will forever hold our wedding in Hawaii with the best memories. This team helped us achieve that.
    Hope G. Married on 03/21/2020

Wonderful!!

Bula was great- he was able to take all my special song requests and learn them in advance. He really made our musical vibe come to life for our Hawaii wedding. He also showed up no complaints right prior to COVID lockdowns, and he was happy to be a part of our big day. Wouldn’t have been the same if he had cancelled on us! 100% would recommend.
  • Rosetta
    Rosetta G. Married on 03/01/2020

Best Hawaiian Wedding Singer on the Big Island

When we planned our wedding we knew we wanted to have live Hawaiian music during the ceremony and the cocktail hour. Choosing Bula was one of the very first decisions we made in our planning. Bula took our wedding to the next level. His beautiful voice, skill with guitar, and excellent song choices all set the mood and helped everyone relax. He helped our wedding feel dreamy and romantic. We did our first dance to his rendition of Perfect by Ed Sheeran. We walked down the aisle to All of Me by John Legend. His covers and his original songs are all lovely. We were so thrilled that Bula played at our wedding. His energy and his music were a truly delightful element of our celebration.
  • Rei
    Rei G. Married on 02/15/2020

Wonderful singer

Bula is an amazing singer and we were lucky we were able to book him for our wedding. When I heard his songs on YouTube I knew immediately that he was perfect for our wedding. All the guests were complimenting us on how great our ceremony and cocktail hour musician was! I was only sad I did not get to listen to him play more.
    Aubrey F. Married on 01/01/2020

2020 Wedding

We got the chance to have them play at our wedding. The vocals were so beautiful. I still get tears when I hear it. Amazing would definitely recommend.
    Jennifer N. Married on 12/09/2019

Amazing!

Bula is amazing! The only thing that I'm upset about is not hiring him for the entire reception. He is so incredibly talented and I loved that he can make the music that you pick out sound like his own. We walked down the aisle to Coldplay's Paradise and I can't describe how great he made it sound - when I heard him playing that song, that's when I started crying.
    His wife Ash is great to communicate with - she will be the one who you'll email with in regards to song choices, grand entrance verbiage, etc. They are just great to work with!
  • Jjay
    Jjay L. Married on 10/28/2019

Bula is the man

Unique and cool style of play. His covers are amazing and was able to accommodate our recessional and processional songs which were perfectly done. I felt like he played longer than scheduled from the kindness of his own heart. so that was really cool!
  • Sandy
    Sandy Married on 09/30/2019

Amazing musician

My husband hired Bula through our resort for our wedding. He was an amazing artist with a wonderful voice. We are so glad we went with him!
    Michael S. Married on 09/26/2019

A dream come true

Bula's music was incredibly soulful and a dream come true for our Big Island Hawaiian wedding.
  • Samuel
    Samuel D. Married on 09/07/2019

Bula is the real deal

Bula added the little extra that our wedding needed -- live, local music that engaged our guests and made our day extra special. Not only did he play before and after our ceremony, but Bula was able to provide amplification for our ceremony, saving us money and allowing all guests to hear our vow. On top of that, Bula was on time, played without needing direction, and did not take any administration to perform. I couldn't recommend Bula enough for any gathering.
  • Nick
    Nick S. Married on 08/10/2019

Fantastic Music for our Ceremony and Reception

We kept Bula plenty busy at our wedding - playing solo at our ceremony and cocktail hour as well as with his band for our reception - and we couldn't be happier! His solo ukulele and guitar playing was perfect for making our ceremony really feel like a Hawaiian wedding, and his band was so much fun keeping everybody dancing all night. The hotel had a power outage during a part of our reception, and the band didn't miss a beat making sure everybody still had a great time in a blackout dance party (major shout out to the saxophone player and drummer who killed it while the keyboard was out and Bula was switching over to his acoustic guitar!). We got so many compliments from our guests about how great Bula and his band were. Bula even went out of his way to record our first dance song a few weeks prior to the wedding, so that we could practice dancing to the actual version that he would play. We definitely recommend Bula to anybody getting married in Hawaii!
    Bridget S. Married on 08/08/2019

His voice is so beautiful!!!

My then fiancé found Bula Akamu while searching on YouTube for local artists that played for weddings on the Hawaiian Islands. And low and behold he just happened to sing our TWO favorite songs we chose to walk down the aisle to. His voice just gave us chills, goosebumps and made me cry. Every time I listened to his version of Elvis Presley’s, “Cant help falling in love” and “Marry Me” by Train, i cried a lot!! That’s when we knew, he would be the one to grace our friends and family during our wedding ceremony as we walked down the aisle. His voice and stage presence was everything and more. Our guests couldn’t stop praising and complimenting his performance. “Who was that?!” Everyone just loved him!! As I presented myself at the tops of the stairs at the Royal Hawaiian Coconut Grove, his voice just echoed. I stopped, looked up to thank GOD for that very moment, and I proceeded to walk down. All eyes on me, but my eyes on my husband. I listened to the words carefully, and I knew that the walk down the aisle was longer than any normal walk down the aisle, but Bula made sure it flowed. And it flowed perfectly. It was also a pleasure communicating with his wife as well as meeting her. She came by to say hello to me and my girls as we gathered behind the scenes right before the big moment. So sweet and beautiful. We cannot thank Bula Akamu enough for his beautiful performance. Wished we could have spent more time with them. Mahalo with all my heart!!