31 Reviews for Brookside Gardens

Chairs (1)
Tables (1)
Parking (1)
Wheelchair Access (1)

The team at Brookside Gardens did a phenomenal job helping us arrange our winter wedding. We got married in the atrium at the visitors' center, which was lovely -- big enough for 100 while still feeling intimate. Brookside staff helped us create a beautiful night, with the option for all our guests to see their holiday Garden of Lights. The Brookside team worked well with our flower vendor and caterer, did a great job setting up tables and chairs, and were just so nice. It meant so much to us to be married in a beautiful public space (not a hotel, not an elite club) where we had the freedom to be ourselves, create new traditions and enjoy the outdoors.

Profile Picture Stefanie, 12/2/17, 1 Review
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We had a small ceremony at the Tea House. They set up the chairs for us and blocked off the entrance during the time we rented to ensure no strangers wandered in. I even got to ride down to the Tea House on a golf cart in the 80 degree heat! Nora was very professional when we signed our contract and answered all our questions and concerns. Great place if you want to be in a nature setting. We didn't use decorations because we didn't want to take away from what nature offered. Everyone said we chose a great venue for the ceremony. I am glad we chose Brookside Gardens. We had difficulty finding a venue for 20 people or less that was scenic and cost efficient. Brookside was exactly what we wanted.

Profile Picture Laura, 6/5/11, 6 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

I had my August wedding at Brookside Gardens and it was enchanting! I worked mainly with Nora and Ivy who were SUPER accommodating to my schedule--I planned the wedding from out of town and flew in to check out vendors. I got married in the Fragrance Garden and had my reception in the Brookside Reception hall. We were concerned about heat, humidity, and rain---we had none of the above! It was a beautiful place to get married. The Gardens provided a wonderful backdrop for a very special day!

Profile Picture Elizabeth, 8/15/09, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Brookside Gardens is a wonderful place to have your wedding ceremony. We considered the quality of service, outstanding. We worked with Nora and Ivey and both provided wonderful service. Although not required by contract, the Gardens provided a rain site, if needed. Fortunately, we did not need it. We were able to talk with staff when we had questions and all were very responsive, professional and kind. We consider the cost to rent the site quite reasonable. We had to place a security deposit and the Gardens quickly returned the deposit without our asking.

The Gardens are beautiful, unique, and will provide your guests with a wonderful place to relax before your wedding and for many visits afterward.

Profile Picture Barbara, 5/9/09, 14 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We had our ceremony in the Fragrance Garden, and everything turned out better than we expected. The event staff was always helpful and responsive, from the time we came to see the site to the actual wedding day. When we arrived for the rehearsal and a wedding had been set up earlier than their contracted time, the staff did everything they could to make sure that we could still rehearse on time. When our chairs did not arrive on time for the ceremony, they called the vendor and helped to set up chairs, and the ceremony started right on time. Our guests were impressed with the venue, and we had the intimate garden wedding that we had imagined.

Profile Picture Meredith, 10/19/08, 7 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

My wedding ceremony was in the Fragrance Garden. It was a dream come true, and so beautiful. We had a champagne reception immediately following so guests could walk the gardens and enjoy the venue while pictures were being taken. The price was great and the staff very helpful with all of our questions and concerns the year leading up to the wedding. I loved it!

Profile Picture Megan, 10/10/08, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Excellent venue and the staff were courteous and extremely helpful. The garden was perfect for our ceremony. We will certainly recommend this venue to our friends and neighbors.

Profile Picture Robert, 5/23/08, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Absolutely beautiful ceremony site!! We also had our reception in the hall there, which has a wall of all windows allowing you to see out to the gardens. It was exactly what I wanted!

Profile Picture Keeley, 6/3/06, 4 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

The wedding site was spectacular. We got married with nearly perfect weather in the Fragrance Garden which was fantastic. We then walked out to the Rose Garden for pictures. The roses were amazing and our guests loved. The reception was at the Visitor's Center and the staff worked really well with our caterers. We had three staffers that day who helped to cordon off our garden and get guests from the satellite lot to the ceremony and reception.

As of Spring 2015, there is still ongoing construction. Guests must park in the satellite lot and take a minibus or utility vehicle to the ceremony. The gardens are part of a park, so another wedding party that showed up unexpectedly for pictures was asked to leave (the staff did so very quickly). Finally, you have to follow up with your questions. It is a public park and the staff has other duties, but everything came to together 100 percent.

View Vendor Response
Profile Picture Avery, 5/30/15, 3 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

I had my ceremony here at the Japanese tea house and worked with Ivy. I had the best experience with this team of people. I went back and forth with my dates and times and they kept me in the know as to what could work and what was best. They offered recommendations for rehearsal dinner places, photographers etc. On the day of there was so much rain and I was a stressed bride, but Ivy worked with me and my family and we got it all together. I would get married all over again at this venue and work with the same people. They were timely in returning information/receipts. Beautiful garden area no matter what area you choose!!

Profile Picture Ebony, 8/28/09, 5 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Brookside Gardens is a beautiful establishment and incredibly affordable. We never had a single problem with scheduling the ceremony or the rehearsal, the area we rented was well prepared and blocked off from the public, and we always had a representative there during the ceremony, but he was out of sight and mind. The only hiccup was when we had a rehearsal, I had requested a representative to assist us and they never showed up. However, they let me use one of their classrooms for free to put on my dress, and they were always responsive when I called to ask questions. I would definitely recommend this place to anyone.

Profile Picture Amanda, 11/11/07, 13 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

We LOVE Brookside Gardens! They have quite a few strict rules for events but their event planning team is really responsive to your questions and requests, and on the big day they really mobilize to do everything on their part to make the day a success! We really loved working with Nora.

Profile Picture User1635384, 2+ years ago, 5 Reviews
4.3

The people at Brookside are very nice! They make sure you don't buy too many hours and really work with you to help you get what you want. The place is absolutely beautiful. They change up the flowers, etc... so we laid out seating the week before the wedding and the next week we came back and there were a ton of new flowers which were beautiful but obstructed a lot of the views for the ceremony. Very convenient to also have the reception at the same venue. Nora and Maryanne are very nice!

Profile Picture User565498, 2+ years ago, 5 Reviews
4.3

Brookside Gardens is an amazingly beautiful place for any one with a love of nature. The plants colors and sounds of the birds and insects made our ceremony so enchanted. We were married in the Fragrance Garden where the fountain added a special touch. The day of rehearsal, we actually couldn't find anyone until the very end but it worked out. On the actual wedding day, everything flowed so smoothly from the promptness in returning my calls answering all my questions to the man in the cart taking me down to the site so I didn't have to walk there.

Profile Picture Andrea, 6/1/08, 7 Reviews
4.2

Beautiful setting and the cost goes towards keeping it that way.

Profile Picture User2613216, 2+ years ago, 3 Reviews
4.2

We love the gardens and were relieved to find out that they block off your wedding from the public so that there aren't random people walking through your ceremony. There were a few hidden costs which we weren't aware of (i.e. having to pay an extra hour before the ceremony for time to set up chairs) and the staff is very particular about what you can and cannot do, but we still felt that we had a beautiful wedding there.

Profile Picture User819511, 2+ years ago, 6 Reviews
4.2

We would recommend the garden for a ceremony. The area we reserved for the ceremoney was blocked off when we arrived.

Profile Picture Jennifer, 6/27/09, 8 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

Brookside Gardens is a beautiful place to have an outdoor wedding. However, if you decide to have it here, know that plans change--and often last-minute! It didn't rain on our outdoor wedding, which was great. BUT we originally planned to have the ceremony at the Japanese Teahouse, which we discovered was swarming with giant bumblebees the day before the wedding. So we decided to move the ceremony to the lawn. On the wedding day itself, Brookside informed us that the spot we picked is a liability for them (a hill) so they made us move it again to another lawn in the garden. In the end, it all worked out, but it was definitely stressful, on both me and my wedding planner.

Like others have said, Brookside is not really a typical wedding venue business so they do not provide good service around these kinds of things. But they will be accomodating when they can. All in all, I had a good experience.

Profile Picture Mimi, 5/1/10, 5 Reviews
3.8

We had our wedding in April and were blessed with good weather. Our pictures are gorgeous as many of the spring tulips have bloomed. Like some of the other brides, I was nervous about weather since our booking was for an outdoor wedding. We were told we'd be accommated of an indoor wedding if it rained, however it wasn't certain where it'd be. I had vendors to come to decorate the gazebo and chairs/podium/mic to be delivered. I wanted more reassurance that we'd be able to accommate our guest of 100+. Luckily, we had good weather. I don't know how plan B would have turned out. They say they don't book 2 weddings in a day, but they can book 2 events which could affect your plan B.

Just keep in mind, Brookside Gardens is a park/garden before a wedding business. If you decide to have your wedding here, keep an open mind, they are not like most of the other vendors you'd work with. It will be gorgeous and you are helping out the Montgomery County parks - which is a great cause as well.

Profile Picture M, 4/17/10, 6 Reviews
3.7

Brookside Gardens is a gorgeous site for a wedding ceremony. In the end, the event went off beautifully - the staff were on site and restricted access to the ceremony site as they were supposed to. They reserved parking spots for us and had the chairs set up without a hitch. Leading up to the ceremony, however, we were not feeling very secure. We never seemed to be talking to the right person when we contacted the gardens with questions, and the people we talked with werent very helpful. We were concerned about parking and about options if it rained; we always felt like we weren't getting a straight answer or any kind of commitment from them. In the end, everything went beautifully, so I would recommend them. I would suggest though that they should try to make their clients feel a little more secure during the planning stages. Just realize that you are not dealing with an event planning organization, per se.

Profile Picture Karen, 5/10/12, 8 Reviews
3.7

Brookside Gardens was a lovely place to have our wedding. It's a great backdrop for pictures, our guests raved, and we look forward to visiting in years to come and remembering our wedding day. We had our ceremony and cocktails in the fragrance garden and our reception in the visitors' center, and these spaces were blocked off from the general public during the event. Nora, Maryanne and everyone we dealt with was very nice, and we especially appreciated rides from the man with the golf cart.

However, we endured needless stress in the months leading up to the wedding because of communication problems. If you're planning to have your wedding here, first know that there is not always someone in the office, and not once did I actually reach them when I called. You have to leave a message, and then someone might call you back the next day if you're lucky.

There are also a lot of rules. For instance, we were not allowed to serve red wine or liquor. You also have to rent a dance floor and PA system if you want to have dancing-- there is no dancing allowed on the carpet, and their PA system is apparently unsuitable for music.

But what bothered me was that it cost 50 percent more than we initially expected. Brookside tells you that you have to rent an additional hour to set up chairs for your ceremony. But what you don't learn until later is that you also have to pay an additional hour if you want to be in the garden after the ceremony, such as for a cocktail hour. And the garden and reception hall essentially rent separately, so when our caterer had to arrive an hour early, we had to rent an extra hour for the garden and an extra hour for the reception hall, at about $400 an hour for each.

I suppose it was not entirely Brookside's fault, but we chose the venue in part for what we believed was budget-friendliness, and it turned out it was more expensive than many of the choices we ruled out for being too pricey. I guess the moral is, unless you have your wedding in your own back yard, you're going to get gouged one way or another.

Profile Picture Ophelia, 6/5/11, 3 Reviews
3.6

Really beautiful place for a wedding. And it's great that you can bring in your own caterer

Profile Picture Katy, 9/1/07, 5 Reviews
3.5

Gorgeous venue and a great bargain, but they don't really have someone to talk to if you need to- you have to leave a message and wait for a return call every time. When we arrived for appointments, the rep wouldn't be there and we would just meet with whoever they could find. Also, they had a number of last minute changes crop up that they didn't notify of until the last second, such as requiring a specific type of tent or additional licensing. Thank goodness I had a coordinator to handle it, or it could have been a disaster- an hour before my wedding, they wouldn't let my photographer on the grounds!- but my coordinator sorted it all out.

Profile Picture Adian, 9/13/08, 5 Reviews
3.4

The gardens is a beautiful place to hold a ceremony. We could not ask for a more picturesque setting. We loved the gardens, however, when we booked our reservations, we were told that no other weddings would be going on during our ceremony. This turned out to not be true. There were 2 other weddings going out at the same time which caused confusion for our guests. If you decide to hold your ceremony here, be sure to be specific as to which site you are going to be performing it in.

Profile Picture Albert, 8/9/08, 5 Reviews