Bon Soir Caterers Reviews

Bon Soir Caterers 5
Bon Soir Caterers 6
Bon Soir Caterers 7

Jill · Married on 09/14/2014

Bon Soir Catering did the most amazing job at my Wedding, it was almost unreal! I wish i had words to express how happy I am to have had them cater my Wedding.
    We went to the Bon Soir headquarters for a tasting and immediately knew we had no reason to try anyone else. Jeff gave us valuable advice on so many aspects of our wedding also, it was so appreciated. He pointed us to a fantastic Wine/liquor distributor and "build your own Wedding" so much more possible with his knowledge and advice.

People are still talking about how amazing the food was! We got the BBQ menu and it was insane how amazing it was. The fried chicken, pulled pork, mac and cheese were just to die for! All of my friends agreed I won for "yummiest wedding"ever.

Jeff is a complete RockStar. My wedding was at the Prospect Park Picnic House, and Jeff knows that venue up and down, back and fourth. Every time I had a crisis, like when I found out my cake needed to be refrigerated and knew that the Picnic House had no refrigeration or kitchen utilities of any kind, Jeff would immediately have solutions, like a magical refrigerated truck that could fit the cake.
    He even worked with me to rent all the items needed from the required party rental shop for tablecloths, plates, silverware etc. and really helped with the seating of guests, pointing out all sorts of things i never would have thought of on my own.
    Jeff made it all happen and I can not thank him enough. I can not WAIT to have another event that requires catering because i will absolutely have it catered by Bon Soir.

Sent on 11/01/2014

Natalie · Married on 08/04/2012

Bon Soir / The Smoking Grill Catering is definitely worth every penny. We are a bi-racial couple and wanted food that combined both of our cultures and our food fixes. We are complete foodies and just walking into Bon Soir, Jeff made us feel at home and the smell was to die for! We knew as soon as we had the first bite of the appetizers that we met the perfect match. Everyone at our wedding enjoyed everything! Jeff was great in working with us and our budget as we were paying for the wedding ourselves and were working within a fixed budget. We received even more than what we expected!

Sent on 08/31/2012

Peter · Married on 05/27/2018

Yoriko is professional, responsive, and helped make our day special and unique. Bon Soir was flexible and open to food and beverage changes and was easy to work with although it would have been great if better notes were taken during the tasting as it felt that we had to repeat our preferences several times during the process.
    The waitstaff overall is very professional, courteous and responsible. They worked very hard to make all of our guests happy.
    All of our guests were very happy with the food and we received dozens of positive comments.
    The only reason that we are giving 4 stars instead of 5 is that we had several vegan guests and requested several vegan appetizers. Unfortunately, one of the appetizers that should have been vegan was not and another appetizer that was not vegan was advertised as though it was. The waitstaff should have been better educated on which items were vegan and which were not.
    We would not hesitate to use them again.

Sent on 06/10/2018

Aron · Married on 06/04/2016

We hired Bon Soir to be the caterer for our wedding at the Prospect Park Picnic House. Not only was the food excellent, but the equipment set up, the buffet and bar service were all great. Prior to signing your contract, Jeff sets up a free menu tasting, and from the tasting you can tell the food is excellent. It’s sometimes difficult to get a hold of Jeff, but as you get closer to the date of your event, he is much more reachable. At the wedding itself, our head of staff and was very nice. Knowing that as the wedding couple, it’s always difficult to find time to eat, the head of staff brought out a platter of all the hors-d'oeuvres for my wife and I right after the ceremony, and then brought three plates of everything from the buffet to us right before they opened the buffet. Our guests raved about the food and everything went off without a hitch.

Sent on 06/24/2016

Mr. · Married on 05/09/2015

Jeff and his team at Bon Soir catered our May 2015 wedding at the Prospect Park Picnic House. First, if you pick this venue - you need not look any further. We tried a few of their caterers, and liked many of them, but Jeff's experience with the venue and prices make him the obvious choice.

If you're looking for your caterer to be your best friend, Jeff is not your guy. While courteous and extremely professional, Jeff's company is incredibly busy. Phone tag and lapses in email are possible during the process, but if it's urgent Jeff will follow through right away.

We had Bon Soir serve BBQ at the wedding, and we had a lot of happy guests. The menu we planned with Jeff was exactly what we were hoping for - if Jeff already didn't have it on a menu, he found a way to get it done. His contacts and other vendors also helped us save a lot of money.

The wedding day was smooth, with the only complaint from guests being one of the bartenders not knowing how to make an Old Fashioned. Again, only complaint. Our maitre d was incredible, and our wedding coordinator told us after the face he was easy to work with, knew exactly what he was doing and followed the plan to a T.

We are beyond grateful for Jeff and the Bon Soir team - they were absolutely critical in what became a perfect day.

Sent on 05/03/2016

We used Bon Soir Caterers for our wedding at The Queens County Farm and the food was really excellent. I had more than one person tell me that it was the best wedding food they had ever had. The grilled salmon, the skirt steak and the pasta salads got the most rave reviews. We worked with Jeff who was very helpful throughout the process and helped us coordinate all the rentals in addition to the food. We had requested a plate of appetizers to be delivered to us after the ceremony when we had some private time and that was done. Also, when it was time to eat, servers brought my husband and I food so that we didn't have to get it ourselves. There were a few minor issues during the day- we had made our own table numbers with place holders and the staff misplaced or forgot to put the placeholders out, but the numbers were tied to flower arrangements instead. Also, a friend made our cake and I had asked for the main cake to be cut right away as it was not a display cake and the sheet cake was cut first instead. I also heard that the staff kept picking up half drunk glasses of alcohol and that the coffee was cold at the end of the night. But those were small issues compared to the high quality of the food and service.

Sent on 08/15/2013

Susan · Married on 05/26/2013

Jeff and Bon Soir Caterers were very easy to work with. They were the preferred caterer for the venue (Queens County Farm Museum) and after we tried their food, ended up being the only caterer we looked at. It was so nice working with Jeff because he knew the venue so well and came up suggestions and ideas for how to best use the space that we hadn't even really thought of. He also organized all the rentals and set-up for us and suggested wholesalers where we could get liquor. If we'd used a different caterer, I doubt we'd have been able to get by so easily without having a planner or day-of coordinator.

All that aside, the food was amazing. We got the BBQ menu, which was cooked on site. Everything was delicious! They also packaged everything up nicely so we could take it home because there was a ton of food. We will definitely be eating BBQ for the next week or so, but luckily it still tastes great.

Sent on 05/28/2013
  • User2201602 · 2+ years ago

3.5

Jeff and his staff were amazing on our wedding day! The event ran so smoothly and everyone was so on the ball and professional. The food was delicious and even tastier on the day than our tasting (when it was also delicious). We got compliments all night long from guests about both the appetizers and dinner. All the details were totally taken care of (set up, feeding of elderly relatives and kids, lighting candles etc.) and we didn't have to worry about anything except enjoying our wedding. We think Jeff provided tremendous value and would recommend him to anyone. Part of that value though is he doesn't provide a lot of advanced planning meetings throughout the process. If you want a caterer you talk and email with regularly months before this might not be the best fit. That said we could not be happier with our decision to use Bon Soir.

Sent on 11/22/2012

Margaret · Married on 09/02/2018

Bon Soir catered our wedding at the Picnic House in Prospect Park over Labor Day weekend. The staff were terrific and so attentive! We were pleasantly surprised to get to our Bride/Bride table after the ceremony/photos to find full plates of everything on the menu! They also checked in a few times during the event to make sure we had everything we needed, which helped us avoid the issue of not having time to eat during the wedding. Staff seemed to really know what they were doing and made sure the day ran smoothly with food, setup, and flipping the space from ceremony to dinner without a hitch. We also received several compliments from our guests on the food. In general, Jeff was easy to work with and pretty communicative via email. The only thing that was a little frustrating was the cost breakdown of the rentals (e.g., tables, glassware, etc.) - would have been great to have a more clear explanation of why each item was needed.

Although we were initially a little nervous about being limited to a small group of caterers on the Picnic House's list, Bon Soir ended up being great and we were very happy with our experience! Would definitely recommend them for Picnic House weddings and otherwise. Our wedding was beautiful from start to finish.

Sent on 09/06/2018

Jane · Married on 04/28/2009

From our very first meeting and tasting, the people at Bon Soir have been absolutely incredible. They went far and above the call of duty for us on many occasions. Their attention to detail during the planning process was amazing…When I gave Justin a recipe of my mother’s lemon sauce, and for Greek salad dressing, he drove out to meet me, so I could taste it and make sure I approved (which was perfection). The food at our tasting far surpassed the quality of any of the other caterers we met with. Not only that, but the price was right. My DH is in the event industry, and he said their prices for rentals compared to those he would have gotten for us at discount. At the wedding, everything went smoothly, and people kept talking about how absolutely delicious our food was. One guest told me that it was the best wedding food he had ever eaten. Their service was always so warm, and attentive. I just can’t say enough great things about Bon Soir Catering! ***btw...They have a valet company they work with, and we found them to be excellent as well.

Sent on 05/26/2009

Kaitlyn · Married on 09/16/2017

3.5

We ended up working with Bon Soir under unusual circumstances. The exclusive caterer of our venue, the Prospect Park Boathouse, unexpectedly shut down, leaving dozens of couples hanging (and without their deposits...). Bon Soir stepped in and saved the day.

Our wedding was 7 weeks after we got that news, so we had a little bit more time than other couples to get everything sorted out, but from what I've heard, every wedding went off without a hitch - ours included. Jeff was great in working with us to make sure we would get at least what was promised to us by the former caterer. And in fact, we were even able to work with him to provide our own liquor for the event, which was an added bonus for us. All in, we ended up saving about $5,000 over what we would have spent with the now-defunct caterer, which goes a long way toward making up for that lost deposit!

As for the food, it was seriously good. Not just wedding good, but genuinely good stuff. Our guests raved over it. We had salmon and chateubriande beef, and the beef was SO tender. That is seriously impressive when serving food for so many (we had 131 people). And the cake, which I believe they provided through Ladybird Bakery, was out of this world. I truly believe the food we got was MUCH better than what we would have got with the original caterer, so you can't beat the value.

The only downside was that Jeff could be hard to get ahold of, and sometimes his emails weren't exactly clear. We had to cut him a break here though, since he was in the midst of pulling off so many last-minute weddings.

All in, if you want a caterer that provides excellent food, fantastic service and who truly cares about the business and ensuring your wedding is perfect, look no further than Jeff and Bon Soir.

Sent on 10/15/2017

Karianne · Married on 07/10/2010

We used The Smoking Grill, which is a division of Bon Soir, specializing in Southern BBQ. Working with Jeff was ok most of the time. It was sometimes difficult to get responses from him, my husband had troubles getting him on the phone and getting email responses from him. But in meetings with him he was great and very helpful. The food was great, as well as the staff. Overall, I would recommend the Smoking Grill to anyone looking for something a little different!

Sent on 08/03/2010

Alexandra · Married on 06/02/2018

3.5

Bon Soir did a fantastic job at our wedding at the Boathouse in Prospect Park. Jeff and Yoriko were very attentive and answered all our questions throughout the planning process. They also catered to our budget needs while still offering a delicious menu that our guests raved about! On the day of our wedding, Yoriko and the staff were extremely attentive and went above and beyond to make sure everything went smoothly. We were thrilled with their service and would definitely recommend them to anyone searching for a reliable caterer. As a couple, we were especially thrilled because they made the day so enjoyable and stress free!! We really cannot thank them enough!!!

Sent on 07/05/2018
    Bon Soir Caterers 8

Amy · Married on 09/17/2010

4.2
      3.0

We had the BBQ for our "country chic" wedding, and it was amazing! All of our guests said it was the best "wedding food" they'd ever had. And we had many BBQ afficionados among our guests who said it was some of the best BBQ they had ever eaten!

Sent on 10/20/2010

Cristina · Married on 01/13/2007

4.2

Excellent services, and amazing choices. Meeting was informal but the choices and plans were great to pick from. People were friendly and on the day everything was as they said it would be. Food was great!

Sent on 03/05/2008

Catherine · Married on 11/12/2016

2.5

We used the Prospect Park Picnic House as our wedding venue, so we needed to select one of their preferred caterers to use for the reception. Bon Soir was the best choice we could make. They were accommodating during the tasting and gave us a good range of different options to try. Jeff helped us modify the menu to fit our needs and keep things as affordable as possible. We were not too happy about maintaining in contact with him. He would be difficult to get a hold of and did not quickly respond to emails (something we had seen frequently in their reviews around the web). We practically had to hound him so we can finish paying the balance before the wedding, and we came across some issues and ended up finishing payment on the morning of the wedding. If it would have been easier to finish payment earlier, I would have given a higher rating.

Sent on 01/22/2017

3.0

PLANNING
    I planned from 3 timezones and 3000 miles away, so it was nice that I could email Jeff whenever I had a question. I had a few issues planning wise, I had sent him several emails which either got lost or were ignored. Everytime I travelled to NYC for wedding planning, I would try to touch base, but was ignored. I had to remind him multiple times to remove certain things from the rentals invoice and he forgot others. He kept forgetting that I wasnt having a buffet and forgot the final layout we discussed (he put 3 cocktail tables on the dance floor rather than the entrance areas) in fact the company tried to deliver the items at the wrong time. I didnt even get to see the final order just an estimate since he had to send it back so often to be corrected. He would yes me about things he didn't do or couldn't do, when I would rather he just say, I cant do that or thats not possible in this space.
    FOOD
    The appetizers were good, people really enjoyed the cocktail hour. The platters were a hit. I didnt try the salad, but NO ONE ate the butternut squash ravioli. I told him I wanted a pumpkin soup, which again he "maybed" me on then switched back to the raviolis at the end, which again were gross. Thankfully, the entrees were good, although the chicken florentine served during my tasting looked very different than the chicken florentine served at the party.
    FINAL THOUGHTS
    The price was right, and because they work with the picnic house they know the building and layout well. They already have a permit, and they have a truck they cook in that allows their setup to be very small, near the kitchen, out of the way, unlike other vendors I spoke to. I would use them again, and I would recommend them to anyone with an event at the picnic house, just be prepared for the other slight annoyances and make a clear list of everything you expect, so there is no confusion.

Sent on 11/22/2012