St. Pete Beach Community Center Reviews

120 Reviews for St. Pete Beach Community Center

• W

Nicole · Married on 03/13/2011

4.2

Don't count this location out because it's a community/rec center. This space had the quality of a hotel location without the crazy cost and we could pick our own catering!
    Pros: Large parking lot, beautiful outdoor wedding area and the view is a delight. Some condos are in the shot but the crystal blue water makes up for it. We even had a dolphin make a guest appearance during the ceremony! They were very helpful in working out the rehearsal even with another wedding slated for later that day. They were very helpful in recommending a company to order the wedding arch and again the day of everything went amazing and the location is a winner.
    Cons: The only down spot for this location is communication-if you call the main line and not the event planner directly you can get a variety of people with whatever positive or negative attitudes of the day. They are not at the wedding so we push this as a minor unpleasantness. The bride said that she got some flak for trying to come in with the catering two weeks before the wedding because 'that's done the week before'. We received a lot of reminder emails a few days before the wedding, it would have been nice to get the reminder communication, such as the time in the building, can's and can not in an earlier time frame--maybe two weeks before ;)

Overall review: a great place to have a wedding. Everyone had a blast enjoyed the view and didn't feel cramped. Everything had it's own place in this large facility. You get plenty more then you pay for. :)

Sent on 03/19/2011

Christin · Married on 10/30/2010

4.2

This is the mother of the bride here, and since I did most of the wedding planning as far as the vendors go, I'm making this post. Here is the good the bad and the ugly.

What a fantastic place for a wedding. The courtyard was simply beautiful, and the upstairs reception room was perfect. We easily entertained 100 guests! I loved that we could do the wedding and reception in the same place. Kelley Poole was always responsive to any questions we had. On thing I LOVE LOVE LOVE about this venue is the ability to set up in a variety of ways. My daughter and I visited several times while others were setting up and got some GREAT ideas. We had the wedding and appetizers downstairs, the bar on the wrap around veranda, and the reception inside. The weather was perfect for the 30th of October, and the sun setting on the bay was spectacular.

The bad. I did not realize until two days before the wedding that only 50 outside chairs are available for the courtyard wedding. In all honesty, I may have been told this and it slipped my mind. I do not remember, but then I did so much planning. When Kelley Poole explained this to me, she said to just have the unimportant guests stand. UH NO! So, I had to scramble and pay unexpected money to rent 50 additional chairs.

Now for the ugly. Next to the courtyard is a skateboard park. On the couple of occasions that my daughter and I visited while others were setting up, we noticed the skateboarders were making quite a bit of noise. When I asked Kelley about this, she explained that it is a community center, and nothing could be done to stop the skate boarders, but that they tended to be respectful when a wedding occurred. Despite the fact that we had someone ask them politely to please stop skateboarding for 15 minutes while the ceremony took place, they continued to skateboard. Three more people went over and asked them to stop, and the last one had to become rather belligerent to make them stop. I think it is important for people to know that if they plan a wedding ceremony in the courtyard at this venue, this can occur. All and all the venue was wonderful, and I would recommend it to anyone.

Sent on 11/16/2010

THE COMMUNITY CENTER NO LONGER HAS A SKATE PARK

Our venue does only have 50 outdoor chairs available -- this is important for all renters to make note of. We certainly would never suggest that any guests are "unimportant." What we do suggest is if your budget does not allow to rent additional chairs, one solution is to have parents, grandparents, perhaps more elderly guests, etc. sit and have others stand in the back since the ceremony is such a short period of time. Most renters usually rent additional chairs and have them brought in which works out great!

Caroline · Married on 09/05/2009

4.2

Beautiful location, was able to book a date for the month I wanted. Kelley (the rental manager) was helpful answering my emails. My wedding turned out way better than I imagined.

Sent on 09/15/2009

angeli · Married on 04/25/2009

3.5

Absolutely gorgeous! Perfect Florida location! My experience was wonderful the staff was helpful. It was a dream come true!!

Sent on 09/29/2009

Heather · Married on 04/30/2010

3.5

The space is amazing. I loved being able to have our wedding/reception/dance in the same location. Make sure when you book the space you are aware of other activities going on at the grounds. There were a couple things going on the night of our wedding and we needed to work out a plan to accomodate each group and event going on. Also, have a core group of people lined up that you can trust to help set up and take down. You will walk into the room with just the tables and chairs set up and the rest will need to be done.

Sent on 05/19/2010

christina · Married on 04/19/2014

We rented the ballroom 2 years before we got married to make sure we got our day. This place books up fast so if you're considering it, get that deposit in! We loved the outdoor setup for the ceremony and the ballroom didn't need much decoration since the view itself was phenomenal already. For the price we got, we couldn't have done better. I gave 4 stars for professionalism because of Stephanie. There was a girl that was kind of rude to my father when he called to pay the balance for the rental but Stephanie cleared everything up and when we saw her the day before the wedding and the day of, she was very, very helpful. All in all, a fantastic place for a wedding!

Sent on 04/22/2014

Amy · Married on 11/02/2013

3.5

This was an absolute beautiful place to get married at. The view is incredible as well as the location of the venue. The price to rent the venue is very affordable and you are able to bring in any vendor and planner as you want. We used Parties Al'a Carte, Delectables, Gulf Coast Rentals and Gabro Events, all in which we were very impressed with. The only complaint we would have is how the venue is not flexible with your needs. It is their way or no way. You have to make sure you plan everything out around the schedule they give you and to double check every week because their schedule is always changing due to classes they have in the venue.

Sent on 11/04/2013

Eden · Married on 02/09/2007

3.0

A beautiful venue for both a ceremony and reception. You get the beach feel without having to deal with the sand. Our wedding photographer was able to get AMAZING photographs that would not have been able to be captured without this venue.

Sent on 02/13/2010

Kristin · Married on 10/23/2010

3.5

The location is really beautiful and photographs very well. Kelly was a big help during the planning process, and the location was very clean.

Unfortunately there was only one person available with keys the day of and our venue was rented to us and available at 1pm, however no one came to unlock doors for all of the vendors to get in until 1:30pm. Then when we chose the side stairwell to go down and out the back by the parking area, the gate again was locked. We had to wait while our guests were seated and music played to locate the guy to unlock the gate again. Other than that everything was great, but it put our vendors behind with setting up, and it caused some disturbance.

We did have skateboarders going by on the side during the ceremony, however I couldn't really hear them and we knew this going into renting the site. It is a community center. The location is gorgeous and our guests had no idea that it was there tucked away on the intercoastal. Great location!

Sent on 12/10/2010

The community center no longer has a skatepark

angela · Married on 10/10/2009

2.5

We had our wedding there on 10/10 and while everything was very beautiful, it is quite expensive. We had no issues getting in contact with Kelley. The only issue on the day of the wedding was that a number of the tables were not locked into place. My parents table collapsed on top of my 80 year old grandmother and spilled hot candle wax all over her and her dress. Make sure someone checks all of the tables before your event.

Sent on 11/04/2009

St. Pete Beach Community Center's reply:

The Community Center was so sorry to hear that some of our equipment may have been broken or improperly set up and that it caused a disruption the day of the event. Since this event we have had all of our tables and chairs checked to make sure they are in perfect working order, ordered new tables to replace the older faulty ones, and have made sure to stress to staff how important it is to check every single table to make sure they are locked into place. We wwant to do everything in our power to make sure this is never an issue again.

Christin · Married on 01/01/2011

3.0

This is a beautiful Venue for water front outdoor weddings. The courtyard provides a wonderful setting for a small intimate ceremony. However I do recommend that you take into consideration all of the time necessary to set up for your event...my wedding felt very rushed because they do not allow you to set up or tear down your event outside of the time you have rented the facility and is very costly for just a few extra hours in order to do so. I loved my event; however if I had it to do over I would choose a venue with much more flexability so that I could have enjoyed my day rather than feeling anxiety and rushed in order to time everything appropriately.

Sent on 04/07/2011

Kate · Married on 02/25/2012

3.6
      3.5

I had my wedding reception here in February. We loved the idea of having the reception on the water with beautiful views and affordability. We also liked that if it rained, we could move our ceremony from the beach to the space below the ballroom. We were happy that we could visit the venue multiple times with our vendors to plan. We worked with Kelly Poole but had no contact with her other than through email. This was fine for us, we have a wedding coordinator to help with all our other details. The venue is not flexible with allowing vendors in early or to stay late, but this is clearly communicated through the contract as well as through emails. The facility is clean but is bare bones. There is little to no decor so consider the expense of this while planning. We chose to have 16 tables with 8-10 people at each along with a head table for 12. I was concerned that my 150 person wedding would be really tight and we would have no dance floor, however, there was plenty of room. I was pleasantly surprised. The biggest dissappointment I had was that 2 tables collapsed. I had previously read about this in a review and the follow up said that all tables were inspected and the problem was resolved. It wasn't. If I hadn't read about it before, I would think this was a fluke and sometimes accidents happen, but I want to be fair to any future renters. The on sight person for the venue was not very helpful according to my coordinator. He did not seem to care that this happened. He was also asked for some small items, like providing more paper towels in the restrooms when they ran out, and he showed up with toilet paper 20 minutes later.

I want to add that we do not regret our choice to host our reception here. I still believe that it is a hidden gem in St. Pete Beach. No event or facility is perfect. I would just like future brides to have as much information as possible when making their vendor choices.

Sent on 03/10/2012

3.6
      2.5

We loved our venue...for the price you could not beat it! It was tough trying to get a hold of Kelly when I needed to ask questions. Overall, I would recommend this venue for the view and price!

Sent on 02/06/2014

Kali · Married on 11/18/2016

3.4
      1.0

The reason for the 1 rating for "quality of service" and "professionalism" is because of Jennifer. She was extremely rude to me and my maid of honor the day before the wedding, when we came to drop stuff off at the venue. I want to make it clear that everyone else I worked with at the venue was great!

Sent on 12/05/2016

lenieca · Married on 09/03/2016

3.2
      3.0

This venue has a beautiful view and that's my primary reason for booking. There wasn't much for them to do as far as services go, they don't provide any service just the venue. There was an issue on for the rehearsal, I was booked at the same time as another wedding party and was told that the two parties would just have to work it out. Fortunately, it turned out okay in the end but with everything else going on, it would have been nice not to have that to worry about as well.

Sent on 09/27/2016

Heather · Married on 07/05/2013

2.6
      3.0

It is a beautiful location. But they are very strict on time limits. We signed our contract for reserving the venue then on the day of finishing paying for it, the prices have changed. Also, the 'help' that you will receive will consist of someone telling you that you need to take out the trash and if something happens to 'spill'.

Sent on 07/17/2013

Jennifer · Married on 11/22/2009

2.6
      2.0

This venue is beautiful and affordable. We had both the ceremony and reception here. We got tons of compliments both from guests and people who just saw pictures. Unfortunately, we had some trouble with them and when we expressed our disappointed, we were made to feel that we were being "dealt with." In general, everything seemed so nonchalant when a wedding is a very big deal. Here are some of the issues we encountered so you can be sure to address them if you choose this venue:
    -There is a skateboard park next to the ceremony site. The Community Center is closed on weekends but there were still skateboarders in the park. When we asked a staff member to ask the skateboarders to stop skating, just for 20 mins during the ceremony, he said there was nothing he could do. He would not even leave the desk. The mother of the groom and other guests were forced to beg them to stop (which they did not) seconds before I walked down the aisle. Everyone noticed and you can hear the skateboarders in the video. It was embarassing. I realize the Comm. Center is a public place but when someone is paying for a wedding...
    -When you rent the Center, if you want a room to get dressed in or just keep your things in, you are charged. You also have to pay for someone to be there if it is outside normal hours. The person we paid was useless. He was on his cell phone with his feet on the desk and did not help with anything we had questions about. We just found this to be ridiculous considering we already paid to rent the venue for the day (they only do one event per day, which is nice).
    -We were never given anything in writing (even after we requested it) so were surprised at the final cost. Make sure you get something in writing, including payment due dates!
    -We were told we could leave our rental furniture in the room until the next morning and would be notified if anything changed. Two days before the wedding I got an e-mail saying there was an event in the room the next morning and "what what did I plan to do with the furniture." That was fun to reshscedule with the rental company!
    -There seems to be a general lack of communication and professionalism among staff which created several setbacks the day of the wedding. Nothing major, but lots of small things on such a stressful day feels major.
    -There is more but this is getting too long. When we sent an email expressing our disappointment, we were blown off for several months and finally got an email saying, "We're sorry we did not meet your expectations." I will say a friend of mine had a wedding there soon after and had no problems and it seems many other people had a great experience so hopefully we were just unlucky.

Sent on 08/27/2010

The community center no longer has a skatepark

Lauren · Married on 06/22/2019

2.2
      1.0

Great location but one staff member ruined it for us :(

This venue is beautiful but my experience with the staff at the end of our event destroyed the whole day for us. You have to hire cleaners or clean yourself but don't let the rental time fool you.....if you reserve until midnight, you're kicked out and rushed out of the door immediately after the music stops. Was so embarrassed for my family and friends that traveled states away, enjoyed the night and then was pushed out, drinks thrown away and the staff even took some of our center pieces......so bad :(

Sent on 06/25/2019

Rachel · Married on 01/19/2014

1.2
      2.0

They were two hours and 15 Minutes late to open for our wedding! I had no contact information except the office which was closed! This almost ruined our wedding! Luckily we have amazing friends and family to set up quickly but it was so much more stressful than it should have been- two hours we could have been relaxing, instead we were stressing out trying to figure out how to get into the venue. We had to call the st Pete sheriff (who was very helpful) to call his contacts to finally let us in. They had completely forgotten about the wedding. It was a beautiful wedding in the end and the location is great - but don't trust them to open on time. Luckily they did give us a full refund, but that will never replace the time we lost on our wedding day!!! Who ever expects th venue to be the vendor that is late?!

Sent on 01/27/2014

John · Married on 09/19/2009

0.8
      1.0

I had my wedding here and it was a complete disaster. Tables feel on my guests. Event planner Kelly blew off two appointments with me. The claim we destroyed the room after charging $150.00 cleaning fee and now want more. What seemed like a good idea turned my wedding into a complete disaster and the rooms end up being expensive once you tie in the $150.00 liability, $150.00 cleaning, tables not set up correctly and falling on your guest, charging for the hour during set up and clean up. I recommned going to the Lions Club on Sun Set Beach for you Brides.

Sent on 10/13/2009

St. Pete Beach Community Center's reply:

The writer of this review had a wedding here and his guests completely trashed the facility.
    --An entire industrial sink, faucet and plumbing in the men's room were cracked in half and had to be replaced
    --A paper towel dispenser was completely ripped off of the bathroom wall
    --The facility was left so dirty that our contracted cleaning crew had to do a special power washing of the patio and s team cleaning of the ballroom floors

This renter was not happy with the repercussions of his guests' actions which included additional cleaning fees and him having to make a claim for repairs against his liability insurance.