Birmingham Botanical Gardens Reviews

15 | Birmingham, AL

15 Reviews for Birmingham Botanical Gardens

Erica · Married on 05/05/2017

I saw the horrible reviews and I'm guessing maybe it's an issue with the planner because I dealt with Ms Taylor and she was amazing! We met with her and she pretty much told us, aside from disturbing the plants, we could make the space our own. Everything turned out beautiful and my day was lovely!

Sent on 06/26/2017

Caroline · Married on 09/25/2010

This is an absolutely gorgeous venue! The staff was incredibly accommodating to help us plan our rehearsal dinner her in the Japanese garden which is gorgeous at sunset/night with the lights. They were more than willing to help with the catering, decorating, seting up and taking down of all items. We LOVE the gardens and also took our engagement photos here!

Sent on 10/07/2010

charley · Married on 06/10/2006

It was great! We had so much fun and the flowers were in full bloom for our engagement pictures!

Sent on 11/09/2007

Nicki · Married on 10/13/2007

We booked the Japanese Garden for our ceremony and I have to say that it was the best deal we could have found anywhere! Although we were not able to book it for our reception as well, it turned out for the best. The only snag was that we had requested the back gate be left open, and when our group arrived, it was locked. One of our party members was able to locate an employee and had it opened for our guests. Other than that small inconvenience, we were absolutely thrilled with the location, service, and pricing. We were lucky enough to have had beautiful weather that day, and I don't think I could have wished for a better day!

Sent on 04/14/2008

Brittany · Married on 05/23/2007

From their website:
    Explore The Gardens 365 days a year from sunrise to sunset. This Birmingham landmark fills 67 acres of one of the most versatile landscapes in the City.

I have visited the Gardens quite often and am always pleasantly surprised by their professional approach to nearly everything. So much attention is paid to the details that it is unfathonable. The value is quite simply the best. To know that you can be wed in the public eye without the restraints generated by that public puts you at ease.

Sent on 08/21/2007

Charlie · Married on 08/28/2010

3.0

They just did my reception but I was absolutly breath taking to walk into! the lights where amazing and the whole place smelled magical!

Sent on 03/30/2012

3.8
      3.0

The botanical gardens is a beautiful venue. However, if you are booking a wedding, most often you book inside bc they are not very flexible with changing your event from outdoors to indoors in case of weather. This gives you limited rooms inside with attractive decor. Some of the inside is outdated in appearance and functionality.

Overall I enjoyed my wedding and the people we worked with.

Sent on 12/24/2014

Angela · Married on 04/21/2012

3.8
      2.5

Great Location. We reserved the Japanese Garden for our wedding. The day before we decided we prefer to have it in the Rose Garden. The staff did everything they could to get us moved and were extremely helpful and pleasant. With the low cost and beautiful setting I could not have asked for a better place to get married.

Sent on 05/08/2012

Allison · Married on 04/01/2006

3.6
      3.5

The gardens were beautiful, and the reception area (we used the Ireland room) was perfect for our size wedding. The only two issues were there wasnt really a place to change into my dress, and we werent allowed to have a band and our guests had to stand up (we were alloted 5 chairs for the eldery or disabled) - thank goodness our wedding was quick. The staff was friendly though and the flowers were amazing in April!

Sent on 05/08/2008

Jenn · Married on 03/20/2011

3.6
      3.5

BBG was a beautiful place for my wedding. You definitely can't beat the price. The only problem is that they don't close off the garden where the event is happening so strangers stop and watch. Overall
    It was a good place.

Sent on 07/30/2011

Tomomi · Married on 11/20/2011

3.4
      3.0

Birmingham Botanical Gardens was a perfect venue for my garden ceremony and afternoon tea reception.

I booked the Rushton Garden for the ceremony. It was quite- very private. The waterfall created a gorgeous backdrop. They don't set up tables and/or chairs in the Rushton Garden. So if you are interested in using the garden, you will have to set them up yourself.

I also booked the Ireland Room for the reception. The room was a perfect size for my reception (about 35 guests.) The only problem I had with the room was that the glass cabinets were empty on the wedding. They didn't allow us to put our own decorations, so they ended up looking unfinished.

The facility rental fee is unbeatable. They book fast. I would recommend contacting them ASAP.

Sent on 12/15/2011

Cheryl · Married on 11/19/2011

2.8
      2.0

The location was very convenient however, the professionalism of the event planner could use a lot if improvement.

Sent on 03/10/2012

Jennie · Married on 03/17/2012

2.6
      2.0

We had our reception in the Garden Center, upstairs in the Ireland and East rooms, and it extended out onto the balcony. We worked with Alicia, and she was often very bad at responding to emails or getting in touch. We had a few unwelcome "surprises" from Alicia a few weeks before our wedding, but everything ended up working out for the most part.
    The only really negative thing that has stayed with me is the fact that the Gardens booked another wedding reception at the same time as ours in the downstairs portion of the Garden Center. When my guests and I showed up, the parking lot was SLAM full. My guests had to park across the street and walk to get to the reception. All this could have been avoided if Alicia had told us that the times would be overlapping, and we could've changed our event time. I thought it was extremely inconsiderate to not notify us of this in advance.
    Overall, the space is agood value, but if I were you, I would try to work with someone other than Alicia.

Sent on 05/10/2012

Sunie · Married on 03/24/2017

1.8
      1.5

Using this venue was pretty much awful. We wanted a small ceremony and then a big party. We started to look for a place where we could hang out for 2-3 hours and fit 200 people. I came across the Gardens and thought it was cheap and I've been there before, so why not? I saw that the last review from was years ago, but ignored it. Let me tell you, pay attention to those reviews! If there hasn't been one within a year, don't book that place! There's a reason people aren't doing much there. There is only ONE point of contact for dealing with your event and no one else will even attempt to help you or even know about your event. Cathy at the front desk was the nicest person that we dealt with. She cared and tried to help when I couldn't reach Ms. Andrews. Here are a few of the things that happened:
    1 - We paid for our date, had a meeting with Ms. Andrews to discuss all the details, & signed paperwork in like Aug or Sept. She called after Christmas sometime saying that she had a note to call me and wanted to see if I still wanted that date. If I did want that date, she wanted to know when I could come in to talk to her about it.
    2 - I called Ms. Andrews on a Friday afternoon with 2 questions. She must've thought I was done after the 1st question because when I asked the 2nd question, her response was literally: "You know. I knew I shouldn't have even answered this phone."
    3 - She argued that the number of tables we needed wouldn't fit. They fit just perfectly. All 24 and all 200 chairs I rented from Fun Source.
    4 - They set up their chairs that come with the venue. I told them to take them down because we rented chairs - which they already knew. They were super mad and blamed me for having to put them back up.
    5 - She said we only needed 1 police officer for the night. About 3 days before, we learned we had to pay another $120 for an extra officer.
    I'm out of room to write more of what happened, but please save yourself the headache and go somewhere else.

Sent on 04/10/2017

Sarah · Married on 06/03/2017

1.0

PLEASE TAKE YOUR MONEY ELSEWHERE. I don't have a single positive thing to say about my experience. I had my wedding ceremony and reception at the gardens. First off, after I booked my date and paid in full they were almost impossible to reach and if I was able to contact someone they didn't have an answer for me. I was told upon booking I would be working with Ms. Andrews. What a nightmare! Very unorganized. I had to make several trips ( I live an hour away) just to speak with her because she never returned my phone calls. Every time I spoke with her she asked me the same questions over and over again. It was like she had never met me every single time. It made me feel very uncomfortable. My planner would call and get different information. Horrible customer service. The chairs provided for my wedding by the gardens had tape on them and were ready to fall apart! There are no words that can even describe the frustration. I was warned by many that I would have "trouble" while planning the wedding here, and I wish I would have listened. So unfortunate that such a beautiful place is operated so poorly!

Sent on 06/13/2017