Birchtree Catering Reviews

75 | Philadelphia, PA

75 Reviews for Birchtree Catering

Jude · Married on 10/29/2011

Working with Birchtree was, simply put, a joy. From our first email interaction, to the moment when our last guest left, Allegra and Rasa exemplified professionalism and helpfulness--exceeding our expectations and doing everything within their power to see that our wedding day went off without a hitch.

For our wedding, we were looking for a caterer who could not only work with our vegan diet, but one who was affordable without compromising quality, and Birchtree perfectly met our requirements. Our reception was elegant and personal, and it was all thanks to the nice folks at Birchtree.

Sent on 11/18/2011

J · Married on 10/08/2011

We both just cannot say enough about how much we enjoyed working with Allegra and Rasa from Birchtree Catering. They were the first vendor we booked for our wedding and we had complete confidence in their ability to do a wonderful job all along. They both really understood the type of feel and style of our wedding and delivered! Rasa's food is amazing, unique, and delicious! All of our guests said they loved the food, servers, everything! We also really appreciated how they traveled all the way to Gettysburg for our event. Everyone we spoke to at Birchtree was a great mix of both down-to-earth and very professional - which was very reassuring throughout the planning process. We both hope that Birchtree is able to open a cafe in the Philly area soon because we want to enjoy more of their food! Thanks again!

Sent on 10/17/2011

Shruthi · Married on 10/02/2011

We had so much fun working with Rasa and Allegra. My husband had found them online when searching for small local caterers. We had a very small intimate wedding of about 28 people, and wanted a caterer who was comfortable and open to working within that size. Jeff instantly liked the look and feel of their offerings, and the honesty of the initial conversations. We moved forward by talking details about the menu, which was to be a vegetarian Fall-type offering. The tasting was really fun, which was held in Rasa's dining room (again, very intimate). We made some suggestions about what could be tweaked and signed the contract. What Rasa and Allegra and her lovely staff delivered really blew us away. The tweaks had been minor suggestions, but the overall result was astounding. There were several picky eaters in our group (my mum!) and she kept raving about the taste and flavors and textures and variety. Everyone had something positive to say, and I know many went into the kitchen to thank everyone themselves. The wait staff was also really fun and responsive, and added to the energy of the event. I would hire Birthtree again in a heartbeat, perhaps for our 10-year anniversary party!

Sent on 11/15/2011

krissy · Married on 10/01/2011

I am so lucky I found Birchtree. I contacted about 5 different catering companies when I got engaged, and Birchtree was the quickest to respond, and the most attentive to my needs and budget. Allegra and Rasa were able to develop a menu and plan that fit our budget all while staying classy and tasty. Allegra was by my side throughout the entire process, and was always calm, collected and quick. I always received a timely response, and never felt any pressure to go one way or another. In addition to being down right fantastic, they use local food! So you know what you are getting is quality and not mass-produced. Everyone at my wedding raved about the vegetable lasagna and bacon wrapped dates, just to name a few. I really do not think I would have been treated so wonderfully from any other caterer. If your caterer cannot get back to you with a quote on something in a day or two, then you do not matter to them. I was able to contact Allegra or Rasa with no problem, and knew that they cared about me as a client, and my event. Allegra coordinated my wedding, and I really could not have asked for a better person to take charge. She is worth every penny. Jeremy ran the buffet at my event, and managed the servers- who were also friendly and attentive. I have not a single regret about working with Birchtree. My wedding would not have operated so smoothly if not for this team of professionals. I would gladly recommend Birchtree to anyone looking to impress at their wedding. This is the people you want if you really want to amaze and astound your guest list. Hire them, you will not regret it.

Sent on 10/04/2011

Aja · Married on 06/04/2011

We were looking for a caterer committed to using seasonal, locally sourced ingredients, and were ecstatic to find Birchtree Catering. They went above and beyond in catering and coordinating our wedding at the Philadelphia Magic Gardens. In particular, their care and attention in helping us plan our reception and their amazing work on the day of the event made for a spectacular wedding.

During the planning process, Allegra was constantly responsive to our emails, and was always willing to help us refine our ideas. She has an amazing way of gently discouraging ideas that won’t quite work while simultaneously offering brilliant solutions. The Magic Gardens did not have tables and chairs to accommodate all of our guests, and Allegra worked with a rental company to secure these items for us. We were also faced with possibly needing to tent the outdoor space as a rain contingency. The first option presented to us was far outside of our budget, and Allegra worked with us and the rental company to come up with a much more financially feasible solution. She was incredibly patient with us, and very thorough in researching options. As for food, Rasa came up with a stellar menu for our event, and worked with us to pick a range of items that would satisfy both our vegetarian and carnivore guests. Finally, and most importantly, Birchtree totally worked within our budget. Several other companies that I called told me that they wouldn’t be able to do an event for the per-person price that I requested. Birchtree wasn’t fazed by our request, and offered us a great menu with lots of options for upgrades. I’ve seen some other amazingly impressive menus listed on their website, too…

And on the day of the event, I cannot say enough how calm, in control Allegra, Jeremy, and Rasa were. We were only able to rent the Magic Gardens for an hour and a half before the start of the ceremony, which meant REALLY short set-up time for the entire thing (ceremony space, 16 dining tables and 80 chairs, 2 bars, appetizer station, light tents, not to mention prep for passed hor d'oeuvres and the main meal). They pulled it off without a hitch, even in spite of a late delivery of all of the tables/chairs/tents. Their staff was incredible—extremely professional, and super attentive to us, the bride and groom. One of their servers always made sure we had a drink in hand, had an almost uncanny ability to find me just when I was downing the last bit of a glass of wine. And the food was AMAZING, exactly what we hoped for. Fresh and delicious, I kept overhearing my guests say how delicious they thought everything was. At the end of the night, they collapsed the tents, cleaned everything up even more quickly than they did at the beginning of the evening. I can’t say enough how well they executed everything. Hire them. You won’t regret it. If I ever have an event in Philadelphia again they will be my first choice for catering.

Sent on 06/22/2011

Art · Married on 12/03/2010

As a Professional Chef at a high end restaurant, the food at my wedding HAD to be delicious, unique and memorable. Rasa did not disappoint. Almost everyone I spoke with about the wedding commented on the food and many said it was the best wedding fare they had ever had.

I worked closely with Rasa and Allegra on the menu, but I also did not want to take away their personal touches to the menu, so I was very open to their take on what I wanted. Rasa is the type of chef who you can leave everything up to, give some input or completely dictate to and she'll produce amazing results- even putting forth a product that is superior to what you might have had in mind.

Their fresh products, creativity and sensitivity to health leads to a meal that is both extremely satisfying, but doesn't leave you feeling like you can't dance (even if you go back for 2nds and 3rds, as I did).
    Allegra's customer service is outstanding (Rasa's too) and they are excellent at guiding you through the whole process and advising what format your meal should be in (cocktail, family-style or sit down). Additionally, Rasa and Allegra have you over to the Chef's house for a tasting and it's free. I know many companies charge for this.

I couldn't have been happier with the food AND the service. The attendants were friendly, attentive and on-point.

I have even offered to help Rasa if she's ever in need of a chef for an event. I am most grateful for them for helping to make our wedding memorable and wonderful.

There is no better option than BirtchTree.

Art Staddon & Darcy Luetzow-Staddon

Sent on 04/30/2012

Candice · Married on 12/18/2009

Birchtree responded to our inquiry about their services immediately. That was our first clue that they were different from corporate companies and even other small businesses. Rasa has a great sense of what brides and grooms want; with just a tiny bit of information, she was able to put together a menu that perfectly suited our needs. When we met with the entire team for a tasting, we were surprised again at their welcoming attitudes but also their professionalism. The whole team took notes and added valuable ideas to make our day amazing. Both Allegra and Jeremy added so much to our reception besides the food. They decorated, set everything up for us, and when our reception site kept changing plans on us and messing with our contract the day of, Birchtree went with the punches and allowed my husband and I to just enjoy the day without having to worry about what was going on behind the scenes.

The entire team was such a blessing to us, and we are happy to spread the word about their great service.

Sent on 06/28/2010

Martha · Married on 12/12/2008

Birchtree was able to provide everything necessary for a great event. The food was delicious! They were very generous with last minute changes and added on tasks and relieved much of my stress. They are easygoing, cool people and a pleasure to work with...

Sent on 07/13/2010

Julia · Married on 06/11/2016

If your wedding is in the Philadelphia area, don't even bother looking at other caterers. Birchtree was so incredible!! The food was delicious and our guests kept saying to us it was the best food they'd ever had at a wedding. They handled the set-up for us and were super flexible throughout the entire planning process. When we remembered 2 weeks before that a few guests had dietary restrictions, Birchtree easily accommodated. On our wedding day, they made sure we got plenty of food, always had drinks in our hand, and kept track of the schedule so that we could just enjoy the party.

Birchtree is worth every penny, not only because of their delicious food, beautiful presentation, and attentive serving staff, but also because of the event coordination service they provide. A Birchtree coordinator (woo, Annie & Nicole!) will work with you throughout the wedding process to make sure you have all your ducks in a row. They'll also coordinate with all your vendors the week of the wedding and serve as the day-of contact so you don't have to worry about anything on your wedding day. Seriously, book them.

Sent on 06/23/2016

Birchtree recently catered my wedding at The Powerplant and it was amazing! The planning process was made easy with help from chef Rasa and our coordinator, Annie. When you work with Birchtree, you aren't picking from some list of limited or formulaic package deals. I felt like the possibilities were endless!

We had so many options and choices with our food and everything was so customizable. Everything from our cocktail hour (a mix of passed appetizers + a cheese board) to our signature cocktails to our family style dinner was great. There was lots of food and it was quality as well as quantity. Birchtree sources from local farms and everything they use is in season. Sustainable & local aren't just buzzwords. It's nice to know that you are helping to support local farms and businesses and all produce used is in season for the best flavor. Birchtree also supplies a very helpful bar buying guide and made specific recommendations which came in VERY helpful, especially when it came to knowing which specific wines would go well with the food they were serving. They can also do special meals for those kind of annoying vegan/gluten-free/allergic-to-everything friends who can't just eat normal food.

Getting a wedding coordinator as part of the package deal was extremely helpful. Annie coordinated walk-throughs with the venue, was in touch with our vendors and kept us on-deadline.

Sent on 06/04/2016

Gwyneth · Married on 04/02/2016

Birchtree catered my wedding last weekend and it was a huge success. My guests loved the food and cocktails, and everything went really smoothly, especially considering the complicated space I rented for the wedding itself. They provided layout maps, helpful suggestions, lots of options for different needs; depending on weather and guest size, timing, etc. Since I had both the ceremony and reception onsite, they had to plan on setting up dinner tables within a short time frame after the cocktail hour and ceremony to accommodate for the reception, and it was done so seamlessly. Everything looked beautiful and people were getting up for seconds (I didn't have time to do this since the bride is usually running around!). They even accommodated my special needs family member which was very nice.
    My contact leading up to the event was Annie, and she was so responsive and competent that I was very reassured. I didn't have a wedding planner and I was basically planning everything on my own, so I felt so lucky about having Birchtree to basically guide me so that I could envision the big day and how it would flow. Allegra was there for the tasting and also onsite for the day itself, so it was nice to have a familiar face so I could ask questions. I definitely recommend them to anyone!

Sent on 04/07/2016

Birchtree Catering's reply:

Thank you so much Gwyneth! Congratulations again from all of us at Birchtree!

Tania · Married on 09/28/2013

My fiance & I were looking for a caterer that delivered incredible food and wasn't your typical sit-down meal. From the very first meeting, I knew we had found the right fit with Birchtree. Rasa was able to customize our menu based on our travels around Australia & Southeast Asia. Not only did she make our ideas come to life, she elevated all the dishes to a new level. It was hands down the best food we've ever had at a wedding.

Jenna has an unbelievable eye for design and the decor was wonderful. She took rustic chic to a new level. From the floral bouquets to the string lights to the hand written chalk boards, she brought the whole wedding to life. I still don't know how she was able to pull it off.

I can't recommend Birchtree enough - the team is outstanding from the food (Rasa) to the design (Jenna) and everything in between (Allegra). All of our guests were impressed with the details and the personalization Birchtree was able to provide. Thank you for making our wedding day so memorable!

Sent on 10/26/2013

Jena · Married on 10/07/2012

We chose birchtree to cater our wedding (which was two weeks ago) because they had a reputation for seasonal and local cuisine, for being reasonably priced, and for being very down to earth. Although we were getting married, we were really turned off by the wedding industry. Birchtree treated us as human beings, rather than cogs in the wedding wheel. They're a small business and were really accessible and friendly. Their staff is great and everything went off without a hitch. And the food was delicious; we received many compliments on it. We had a great time at our wedding, in large part because we didn't have to worry about anything thanks to Birchtree. We recommend them enthusiastically.

Sent on 10/16/2012

Kim · Married on 05/12/2012

Great from start to finish. Allegra and Rasa were both very easy to work with, always responsive, easy-going, flexible, and eager to bring our thoughts to reality. The food was wonderful; we chose Birchtree in part because of the focus on local, seasonal and sustainably-harvested foods; also because the food was delicious!

Once we chose the other vendors (e.g. tent company, baker), we very much appreciated Birchtree taking the lead on working with those vendors. We didn't have to try to coordinate all the different people, from timing of arrival through payment. Made planning the wedding a lot easier.

All the waiters and servers on the day of the wedding were personable, smiling, friendly and helpful. Wonderful folks.

What other positive things can we say? Absolutely recommend.

Sent on 05/31/2012

Amira · Married on 09/10/2011

Birchtree Catering was an amazing company to work with from start to finish. Allegra guided us through all of the aspects of planning, including way more than catering. Rasa helped us with amazing, mouth-watering menu suggestions and then worked with us to craft dishes into a North African theme. Our guests were wowed by the food and service and couldn't stop talking about how great the food was. As an added bonus, Birchtree's pricing was better than so many others and they worked with us on cost without any pressure to spend more. We can't recommend them enough.

Sent on 10/01/2011

Shannon · Married on 06/02/2018

Just delicious!

Of all the decisions that we made for our wedding, choosing Birchtree as our caterer was one of the best. We really love the fact that they use locally-sourced and seasonal ingredients as much as possible, and the fact that they’re a local woman-owned business. Chef Rasa guided us through our tasting herself, and she is so down to earth and clearly knowledgeable about her craft. She took careful notes on what we liked and didn’t like, and incorporated our venue (a winery) into her ideas to come up with some seasonal options that would pair well with the wine. Over the course of several months, we worked with Rasa to fine-tune our menu and came up with something that we were SO excited to eat. Rasa also ensured that my grandfather’s gluten allergies were accommodating, as I wanted to make sure he could eat whatever he wanted. People say you don’t get to eat at your wedding, but we made sure to take the time to savor the food! For a small additional cost, Birchtree gave us the option to have a “sample plate” where we could both have a plate with a sampling of each of the three entrée options (it would have been impossible to pick!).

The day of the wedding, Birchtree exceeded expectations. Our day-of coordinator made sure that, when we came aside to sign our marriage certificate and take it all in, we had a tray of appetizers and drinks ready to go – because we didn’t get to have any during the mingling that followed! The staff also took note that appetizers were getting snatched up right at the point-of-entry for our cocktail hour, and started coming in from another direction to get to more people. The food service was exactly how it should be for the wedding couple – so smooth and efficient that we didn’t even notice them!

Even after the wedding, Birchtree continues to be a part of our life! We’re always keeping an eye out for their supper clubs, and took a pasta making class in February that was fun, educational, and delicious!

Sent on 07/13/2019

Stephanie · Married on 05/20/2018

Birchtree is so much more than just a caterer. We married at Awbury Arboretum two weeks ago (May 2018). Nicole and Rasa from Birchtree talked with us multiple times in the months leading up to the wedding, creating a customized menu based on our likes and wants. Nicole helped us plan the entire way, providing insight and suggestions based on our style and wedding vision. Day of, we were so incredibly impressed with the Birchtree team on-site. Everything was flawless - from the food (which received many many rave reviews and was delicious), to set-up, timeline, and everything in between, including calming this anxious bride! Juliette and Agi, our on-site team from Birchtree, were amazing. They set-up everything as we wanted, from notes and pictures I only sent to Nicole a few days before - removing any stress I was feeling about getting everything done perfectly! Andres and his front-of-house staff were so welcoming and warm with our guests. The Birchtree team understood our wedding dreams from the start, and made them into reality. It was exactly the wedding that my now husband and I had dreamed of.

Sent on 06/03/2018

Fantastic food, fantastic service, fantastic people. Birchtree is a class act and you can put your trust in them for a smooth, nuanced, and special evening. There were many times our Birchtree coordinator Annie said to us, "Don't worry, I can take care of that." and she always did with a delicate and elegant hand. The food, shaped to our requests, was amazing at our tasting and just as good at the event. We received many compliments from our guests on the meal and level of the service staff. The service was all on time and we, the couple, always had our own plates set aside for us. I can honestly say, I hope I will have a chance to experience this caterer again. The food is like a five star restaurant you look forward to going to all year. Thank you Birch Tree!

Sent on 04/14/2016
  • Y

Y · Married on 10/13/2012

My husband and I were recently married and used Birchtree catering based on a number of recommendations from family friends - we were not the least bit disappointed! Working with Birchtree was an effortless collaboration - we knew they understood our aesthetic and helped us create a menu and space that reflected our vision precisely. The food was delicious as well as local, organic, compostable, and sustainable which is important for us. They were very flexible as I emailed them with small decor adjustments the night before our ceremony and they delivered the day of. They're affordable and were sensitive to delivering quality service within our budget. Additionally, the service staff was professional and super friendly -- good vibes. They exceeded our expectations and I would confidently recommend them to anyone looking for a caterer, wedding or otherwise.

Sent on 11/25/2012

Irene · Married on 08/21/2011

We loved working with the folks at Birchtree. Our venue was tough in that it didn't have a working kitchen because the building was old. The birchtree folks sailed through this obstacle with ease. Their menu was very tasty and hot. We got lots of compliments from our guests. Bacon was even added to the mac & cheese which is like our family recipe .. The servers were very friendly and responsive in making sure we had drinks. They even made each of us a plate of appetizers .. Allegra was very easy to work with and very responsive to my requests/needs. She had the whole area organized and set up beautifully. I would encourage anyone to use Birchtree for their event.

Sent on 09/14/2011

Phil · Married on 07/11/2009

Birchtree Catering provided excellent food and service at the weddings I have been to that they have catered. They demonstrated an extreme sensitivity to people with allergies while providing tasty, high quality food. Thank you!

Sent on 07/11/2010

Abby · Married on 05/12/2018

Overall, we loved working with Birchtree for our wedding at Awbury Arboretum. We had a few communication hiccups in first setting up our contract, but once we were rolling, they were very on top of every detail. We were happy to rely on their expertise, and they definitely listened when we told them what was and wasn't important to us. The one bit of advice that felt off was our bar buying guide. They gave us a wild overestimate for our 60-person guest list that went beyond what even a heavy-drinking crowd (which we were not) could possibly consume. We were able to return some, but it was a more annoying experience than it needed to be, carting heavy boxes back and forth. More importantly--the food was absolutely incredible, and they were awesome about customizing a menu for us. We had a great time at our tasting with Chef Rasa! Maria was on site the day of, and she was perfection. The team did such a wonderful job paying attention to all the little details and timeline (things I thought I'd have time and attention to do but absolutely did not!). We were very well fed and taken care of all night, and they packed everything up really neatly for us to take home.

Sent on 08/28/2018

Carolanne · Married on 10/08/2016

1.8
      1.5
      1.5
      2.0

My wife and I planned our wedding with Birchtree over the course of the past year. We sent hundreds of emails back and forth, and obtained dozens of promises which went completely unfulfilled by Birchtree staff. Birchtree was unable to properly coordinate the event and maintain fidelity to our established timeline.To start, we worked with three different event planners over the course of our planning process. We were unimpressed by all of them, and perplexed as to their inattention to detail. We were not informed until after the fact that our first planner had departed and then Birchtree replaced our event planner with an inexperienced / unwilling planner who was not up to task. We ended up working with our third and final wedding planner, at which point all of our timeline and wedding plans had to be explained for a third time. Each and every detail of our wedding timeline and party info was passed onto our third planner. We were met with glowing affirmations that each and every detail would be attended to. We had a map drawn of where to place rented furniture, where to place the photo booth, where to hang decorations, where to place flower arrangements. Each and every detail was explained via email, met with affirmations, and subsequently disregarded by Birchtree staff on the day of our wedding.Dozens of emails were sent to finalize what alcohol would be served. My wife and I selected three wines, three beers, and a specialty cocktail for the wedding. Despite numerous affirmations that labels would be placed on these alcohol options, Birchtree did not label anything, and our guests were walking around our wedding having no idea what they were drinking, or what their options were and BT also ran out of drink ingredients for our specialty drink. Finally, the most egregious error made by Birchtree involved our 'cutting of the cake' ceremony, which did not happen! They forgot about it! Birchtree made too much money off of their sub par service.

Sent on 10/18/2016
  • Kelly

Kelly Lynch · Married on 10/20/2018

1.6

Horrible Experience

Not Good! We had signed with them as the tasting at their property was out of this world. Then the wedding day came and it was all downhill from there. During cocktail hour we ran out of charcuterie, this plate was gone in 5 minutes even though we had spoken to Birchtree and they had assured us multiple times that 1 board would be enough. The biggest issue of the night was the entree portion, Birchtree ran an hour late in the service of the food. I the groom went down and spoke to the manager on sight twice and the staff had no motivation to work and looked like lost puppy dogs. Not only was the service an hour late but all the salmon and some of the other entree plates were cold in the middle and were not pleasing to eat. One of my guests didn't even get an entree plate after she had asked the staff multiple times for one. The manager on sight knew that me and my bride were very disappointed with their service, we went down to talk to her to see what happened during the night and the head server from Birchtree stated that she had left for the evening. I think that is extremely unprofessional as the manager knew that we were extremely dissatisfied by their service and she decided leaving was the best action instead of making sure that we the bride and groom were okay. After the wedding day we have spoken to the owner, I have been told the service was late due to back of the house issues. I have been a catering supervisor in my career and even though there were issues, an hour late is just unacceptable! We never will know what truly happened that night with the caterer as the owner will not admit that they dropped the ball, but do yourself a favor and stay far away from Birchtree catering

Sent on 11/19/2018

Birchtree Catering's reply:

Hi Kelly and Chris,

From our perspective the service was 20 minutes late and we have addressed this with you over multiple phone conversations and with a hefty refund to you. Your coordinator for the day was from your venue and we wish they had been more communicative with you. Up until that point you had raved about our services. We’re sorry that you still feel it necessary to write a negative review, but we’ve done everything we can to work with on this. Best of luck to you on a happy marriage!

1.2
      2.0

Birchtree catered our wedding. The food was fantastic and the food service was outstanding. However, the planner dropped the ball numerous times on very sentimental details through out our wedding. She also was very hard to find when needed. My flowers were overpriced and boutonnieres and wrist corsages fell apart within minutes. I would recommend them for their food.

Sent on 10/31/2014