Big Ray & the Kool Kats Reviews

Big Ray & the Kool Kats 5
Big Ray & the Kool Kats 6
Big Ray & the Kool Kats 7
  • User4332051 · 2+ years ago

We love working with Big Ray and the Kool Kats, they make our jobs so much easier! Ray is super responsive and really knows how to command a room. They play a great selection of music and are always so organized. We don't have to worry about a thing when they are here!

Sent on 08/18/2014

As a wedding coordinator it was such a pleasure to work with Ray. He is such a nice gentleman and such a professional. His band is amazing and kept the guests engaged the entire time. If you are planning a wedding book him now!

Sent on 08/14/2014

Everybody told us that it was the best band they'd ever heard at an event. They are absolutely fabulous and made the wedding a huge success. The dance floor was packed all night! Awesome!!!

Sent on 08/12/2014

Sara · Married on 07/26/2014

Big Ray and the Kool Kats were absolutely the best wedding band I have ever heard! As the bride, I had a few requests that weren't their traditional songs and Big Ray did everything he could to incorporate my requests into the playlist. They played a fantastic variety and had my guests on the dance floor the entire night! They even played through a fire alarm for 20 minutes, adapting their choices to match the beat of the alarm!

I have kept receiving compliments from wedding guests on how fabulous the band was and have heard nothing but rave reviews from those who attended our wedding. Ray was absolutely fantastic and entertaining throughout the night. You get an amazing band for a great value. They are professional, courteous, and extremely communicative with those involved. As the bride who loves live music, they exceeded my every expectation.

Sent on 07/28/2014

Elizabeth · Married on 07/26/2014

Big Ray and the Kool Kats played at my daughter's wedding. He was always responsive before the wedding, and our wedding planner said several times what a pleasure he was to work with. They played what the crowd wanted - and were entertaining the whole night. At our request, the music was lighter during the dinner hour, and then they ramped it up for the rest of the evening. There were huge crowds still on the dance floor at midnight when the reception ended. The feed back from guests consistently referred to how great the band was. I was very grateful to them also for the way the band improvised when the fire alarm went off - they played to the beat of the alarm and kept everyone focused for the short time on music and dancing. They made the wedding reception a huge success.

I would hire Big Ray again in an instant.

Sent on 08/21/2014

Daniel · Married on 07/05/2014

It is difficult to imagine having a better wedding band than Big Ray & the Kool Kats ("BRKK"). They met and exceeded our expectations in every respect. Quite simply, they were incredible.

We hired the full (12-piece) version of the band to do our wedding reception at Army Navy Country Club in Arlington, VA, in July 2014. Here is a rundown of their performance:

Quality of Service (5/5): BRKK put on an unbelievable performance at our reception. Everything was perfect. The quality of the music and the band's presence in the room outclassed anything I had ever witnessed at a wedding reception. The band also played a fairly wide variety of music at our wedding (a little bit of Top 40, oldies, Motown, swing/jazz, ballads, rock & pop, etc.), thus accommodating a wide range of musical tastes. The band had the dance floor filled literally the entire night once they started playing. We are so glad we made the decision to hire this band!

Responsiveness (5/5): BRKK and their agent were both always very responsive and attentive in our e-mail and phone conversations. They were very prompt in addressing our needs.

Professionalism (5/5): BRKK was polite, courteous, and professional during all of our interactions with them.

Value (5/5): Hiring a big band for a wedding, as we did, is never going to be cheap. However, we feel that for the amount we paid, BRKK was absolutely worth every penny. It was a 12-piece band that performed flawlessly, so it certainly seemed worth the money to us.

Flexibility (5/5): BRKK gets major kudos for being very flexible with us. We submitted a list of preferred and "Do Not Play" songs, as well as a list of requested songs not on their playlist, about a week before our wedding. During the wedding they followed our preferred song requests exactly, and they also managed to work in several of our requested songs they do not usually play.

Sent on 07/25/2014

Tara · Married on 06/07/2014

I cannot say enough great things about Big Ray and the Kool Kats! They were absolutely incredible entertainment for our wedding. They played with high energy and had the dance floor packed during the entire reception. Big Ray was a great emcee and did a great job personalizing the performance to suit our preferences. The band was even willing to learn songs that were special to us to play throughout the night. Big Ray was extremely professional and a joy to work with. Our guests have not stopped raving about how phenomenal the band was. I would highly recommend Big Ray and the Kool Kats to anyone!

Sent on 07/16/2014

Our guests are still raving about Big Ray & the Kool Kats! Big Ray and his team of singers and musicians are unbeatable. They kept our guests dancing, laughing, and enjoying the festivities more than we could have ever hoped for. If you are looking for an ensemble that will keep you guests 'on their feet' this is the band for you!

Sent on 05/19/2014

Sue · event on 05/02/2014

The music and vocals are the best one can secure in this region.
    It is the warmth and engaging persona of "Big Ray" that provides the icing on an
    already amazing cake!

Sent on 05/12/2014

Jennifer · event on 04/24/2014

It's great to work with Ray who knows the culture of my origanization and is totally on the ball with his side of things. It’s a true pleasure to work with a professional who is flexible and sensitive to the inevitable changes that accompany any event. Thank you Ray!!!

Sent on 04/30/2014
  • I

Iris · Married on 04/12/2014

As a wedding consultant, I know how much the musical elements contribute to the success of the wedding day. Ray and the Kool Kats were a BIG hit at my client's wedding. They provided sound for the ceremony and reception and played amazing mellow jazz during dinner. When the dancing began, they rocked the party with classic and new hits. As usual, I could not resist moving to the music.

Ray and the Kats went above and beyond to provide the best music possible, including learning several new songs AND sharing the stage with a talented wedding guest during the reception. Their flexibility was amazing! Thank you!!

Sent on 04/19/2014

Craig · Married on 04/12/2014

Big Ray & the Kool Kats were the perfect band for my daughter's wedding at Farmington Country Club in Charlottesville, Virginia. They tailored the dance music to fit our tastes and to make for a great party. They even learned a new song that I requested for the Father/Bride dance. Ray is a great showman and his band will have you out on the dance floor all night. No one wanted the party to end!
    They also provided the sound system for the outdoor wedding ceremony and set it up perfectly.
    I highly recommend Big Ray & the Kool Kats to anyone who wants to host a memorable event.

Sent on 04/28/2014

Jessica · Married on 03/29/2014

Big Ray and the Kool Kats were the highlight of our reception. They were incredible performers - and just as amazing people. I could not recommend them enough. My maid of honor contacted them asking to preform a song with them as a surprise for us and they were so accommodating. The end result was something we will never forget. When the reception was ending, everyone was chanting one more song - because we could never have gotten tired of listening to - and dancing along with - them.

Sent on 04/09/2014

Boys & Girls · event on 03/22/2014

Big Ray & the Kool Kats were FANTASTIC to work with and our guests LOVED them. They were relaxed and flexible during the planning process, made great suggestions about how to play out the committee's vision, and listened to the client's requests. Our guests loved the variety of music they played - everything from oldies and classics to pop and current hits. They sounded great and everyone at the party could relate to them so it was a packed dance floor! I would highly recommend them for future events.
    (Background - We booked them for a black tie, 400 person fundraiser gala with celebrity and VIP guests.)

Sent on 03/24/2014
  • User3973881 · event on 03/15/2014

All my guests commented on the AMAZING band--from ages 19 to 70--everyone danced and loved the music. Thank you Big Ray and the Kool Kats!

Sent on 03/17/2014

Mary Lynn · event on 03/14/2014

Big Ray & the Kool Kats presented a fantastic performance at our Community Performance Center. They are much more than just a party band! All musicians were talented, seasoned and possessed a wide range of musical genres. Our audience thoroughly enjoyed their concert. A treat, indeed!

Sent on 03/21/2014

Mr. and Mrs. William · event on 03/08/2014

The Casanova Hunt Ball (Hunt Balls are not a choice above so we went with Holiday Party) has asked Big Ray to provide our music for many years now. Ray and his band are OUTSTANDING! Earlier this month we had 220 guests at the ball. Cocktails, dinner and the usual amenities. At 9PM Big Ray and the Kool Kats lit the place up. The tables emptied the dance floor filled and so it was the rest of the evening.

As I said, we have invited Big Ray for our function now for many years and be assured Big Ray and the Kool Kats will be providing the dancing fun at the Casanova Hunt Ball in 2015 too.

Sent on 03/17/2014
  • User3910297 · event on 02/15/2014

Band was great and played exactly the kind of music we were hoping they would - made for a wonderful event.

Sent on 02/17/2014

Suanne · Married on 11/16/2013

Big Ray was the most professional band leader I have ever worked with. He really cared about making sure the event went smoothly and was exactly how we envisioned the evening. Before the event, he was responsive and returned phone calls and e-mails promptly. His pianist and soloist played and sang at the ceremony - he had members playing at cocktails - and, of course, the entire band for the reception. They were terrific - played all the songs my daughter and her husband requested, made sure the guests were dancing and happy! And his fee was very fair. I highly recommend Big Ray and the Kool Kats and would most definitely use them again.

Sent on 11/19/2013

Maureen · Married on 11/10/2013

Big Ray and the Kool Kats are the cream of the crop when it comes to wedding bands. They are extremely professional, timely, accommodating, easy to work with, excellent musicians and keep guests on the dance floor the entire night. As a planner, I recommend them to my clients at every chance.

Sent on 05/21/2017

C · event on 11/02/2013

Big Ray & the Kool Kats are absolutely stellar! This event had attendees from the U.Va. community, ranging in age from 21-88, and this group did an amazing job navigating the diverse crowd and playing so many favorites, old and new. The dance floor was constantly full, the 12-piece band always lively and engaging, and they have an incredible way of reading the audience. Ray was responsive, easy to book, flexible with their schedule, and affordable. He made great recommendations for the timing of the event and to help us capitalize on their time at the event, playing for both the cocktail reception and for the dancing portion of the evening. I would definitely recommend them for a wide variety of events; they can do it all! Thanks for being so wonderful to work with! Can't wait til next time!

Sent on 11/04/2013

Tommy · event on 11/02/2013

all of the attendees with whom I spoke said BRKK was the best - much better than our previous band. The band tailored their performance to meet the different ages of the attendees, and made sure everyone had a great time! we could not have made a better choice

Sent on 11/06/2013

Jean · Married on 10/26/2013

My husband and I heard Big Ray and The Kool Kats about 9 years ago at a friends wedding. We were so impressed that my husband and I both agreed we would have to have them play at our daughters wedding, (our daughter was not even dating at the time). They were everything and more when they played at our daughters wedding on October 26, 2013. Our family and friends are still talking about this band.

Sent on 10/29/2013

BRKK are great! No issues whatsoever, I highly recommend them!

Sent on 10/14/2013

Lauren · Married on 10/12/2013

We had Big Ray and the Kool Kats as part of our prize for a dream wedding giveaway. They were FABULOUS! Ray worked with me and my wedding planner to keep the flow of the reception going throughout the day. They played light, jazz tunes during the meal and then really livened things up with a get-up-and-dance set to make the rest of the afternoon a great party. We had so much fun with them! They have a wide range of songs and know how to keep a party going. We ended the reception with Beyonce, and Journey...amazing.

Sent on 03/09/2014