Beauty by May Chin Reviews

15 | Brighton, MA

15 Reviews for Beauty by May Chin

Tracy · Married on 06/06/2015

May Chin and her team are phenomenal at doing wedding hair and makeup!!! The only thing I regret is not having had a trial with May first. I had two trials with other makeup artists beforehand, both who did not make "me" look like "me". I wanted to look natural on my wedding day - not transformed into a super fake Barbie version of myself. At the end of our trial, my mom and I knew we were going to book with May right away. Not only was my hair and makeup stunning, she was also extraordinarily patient, respectful, and helpful during the entire process. She was great at coordinating the schedule for the day of our wedding, and took the time to answer any questions I had. On wedding day, May and her team came on time and were delightful to work with. They had a calm aura that helped my bridal party and me relax. My hair and makeup were exactly how I wanted it - PERFECT! Also, my bridesmaids loved their hair and makeup! I am truly happy I chose May Chin and her team. They exceeded all our expectations.

Sent on 07/22/2015

Song Ey · Married on 03/21/2015

I booked May through the recommendation of my wedding coordinator and I am so glad to have had her on my wedding day. Though she is based in Boston and I was in NYC, she had no problems fitting me into her schedule. During my initial trial, I wasn't sure of what I wanted and requested a look that I ended up realizing was not suitable for my style. May was extremely accommodating to my concerns and questions prior to starting and afterwards made me feel comfortable enough to discuss with her anything that I may or may not have liked about my trial. With my timeline, she was able to create a schedule to fit everyone in and get everyone done on time. She was prompt and finished right on schedule. For my hair and makeup, May remembered everything we discussed and was able to execute the look perfectly. My hair and makeup came out gorgeous. My husband looked at me and told me how great I looked without looking overdone and people did not stop complimenting all night long. All of my bridesmaids also got their hair and makeup done by May and her assistant and they all thought it was the best makeup and hair they had gotten. May has a wonderful gift of enhancing a person's natural beauty and making people who are not used to wearing makeup feel beautiful with it on. I can't recommend her enough and only wish I had more reasons to hire her for her services!

Sent on 05/07/2015

I found May through a friend. I had already tried out someone else and the results were far from what i had pictured. Luckily, I was able to book May for my wedding and set up a trial. I absolutely LOVED my trial hair and makeup - it was everything and more for what I had hoped for - so perfect. The day of the wedding was a bit of a fluke - my makeup was a little bit different from my trial - and while others probably didn't notice it, it was something that I just kept thinking about. My wedding was also different from most - we had a 10am ceremony so had planned for my mom to get her makeup done first starting at 5:45am and then for me to start at 7am. The trial had taken about 3 hours so I should have insisted on going first, but didn't really know better. So we ended up finishing my hair and makeup at about 10am (after a little bit of a late start - both parties were at fault here), so I was already feeling a little stressed and rushed, and should have taken more time to look and make sure everything was the way I had wanted it. It's so easy to look back now to say what I would have changed. Honestly though, despite this, I would absolutely still book May without a doubt and just be more aware of the schedule and timing. She made me feel absolutely beautiful on the trial day - I have never had anyone do my hair and makeup and feel that way before, and look forward to using May for future services. We also talked through this and May was so kind and understanding and we worked together to figure something out. May is the epitome of amazing customer service - to be able to make me feel a little better after feeling a bit unsure is something I didn't expect, but after talking to May, she did everything she could to make things better. Bottom-line, I would use May again in a heartbeat. Give yourself enough time to get ready and even if you're running late, remember that the day is about YOU so slow down and take your time to feel and look the way YOU want.

Sent on 11/25/2014
  • X

Xi · Married on 07/19/2014

May was a wonderful part of our wedding day, and I can't recommend her enough! She did both my hair and make-up, and is an incredibly talented artist who has a great eye for finding that perfect point of making you look spectacularly beautiful, while still being recognizably you. I got so many compliments on my wedding day ("stunning" was the most used word) - and I think the true test of great make-up is actually when people don't notice it and compliment YOU on looking stunning.

May is also such a professional, while treating you with the warmth of a friend. I'm not use to wearing much make-up, but she guided me through everything from thinking about the look I wanted to making me feel comfortable with fake eyelashes (my first time wearing them!). I loved working with her so much that I ended up asking her to do the make-up for 9(!!) other women in our wedding party. Not only was she really great in working out a very reasonable price, she brought in 2 super-talented assistants to make the whole things happen in just a few hours (vs. having us get up at the crack of dawn).

In short - May (and her assistants, if you have a large party) are incredibly talented, use amazing make-up and tools to make you look better than you thought possible, are really nice and calm to work with, and should be an easy 'yes' if you are looking for someone great for your hair & make-up :)

Sent on 08/05/2014

May was wonderful to have as my makeup and hair stylist for my wedding. She traveled to my hotel on my wedding day and did the hair and makeup for me, my three bridesmaids, and my flower girl. She is very friendly, professional, flexible, and patient. And of course, she did an amazing job with our hair and makeup. Everyone complimented us on how beautiful we looked. Thank you May!!

Sent on 05/08/2014

Ellen · Married on 11/02/2013

I LOVE MAY. I am so lucky that she committed to designing my hair. May provided me with hair services on my Saturday reception and both hair and makeup for my Sunday reception. On Saturday (ceremony), to save time, I wanted to have separate makeup and hair vendors. May arrived promptly at 6 AM with Linda, her assistant, to start on my girls and the moms' hair. She was done by 11 as she had planned. Timing was great and she is SUPER reliable - you should not have to worry about your vendors on your big day. May is so sweet and accommodating - she went to Boston in the morning and helped me touch up make up for the ceremony - she was in no way obligated to help with touch ups! I had lots of compliments on my hair for both days - Thank you so much for everything.

PS - for those brides still shopping - May is already booking thru 2014!

Sent on 12/09/2013

E · Married on 10/26/2013

I feel so lucky to have found May for my wedding! Getting ready with her was one of the highlights of my wedding day. She is a pro at both hair and makeup and can pull off any style you like. After my trial, I found photos of a really natural makeup look that I liked and May completely understood what to do. Both my hair and makeup came out great in the photos and my bridesmaids were also really happy with how they looked.

What I appreciated the most about May, besides her amazing skills, is what a kind and calming presence she was. If you aren't used to having your hair/makeup done, she will put you right at ease; if something stressful happens while you're getting ready, her positivity will help you feel better. May was the most sweet and accommodating vendor I worked with, while also being completely professional and efficient. She is really wonderful and I wholeheartedly recommend her!

Sent on 11/16/2013
  • lemonjamm

Linda · Married on 09/07/2013

I LOVE you MAY CHIN!!! Thanks for making me look sooo beautiful on my wedding day!!! After one trial, she understood exactly what look and style I was looking for. The day of my wedding, my hair and makeup came out even more PERFECT than I've imagined. She also did the hair and makeup for my bridal party , my mother as well as the flower girl. Everyone was happy and pleased with her work and we received lots of compliments from guests.

Brides look no further because you’ve found the one! She will make you feel so special and beautiful. Book her now and I promise you will stress a little less and have no regrets! 

Sent on 10/02/2013

May and her assistant was very professional and prepared on our wedding day. May was responsive to my emails before the wedding and prepared a makeup/hair schedule for our wedding day for myself, my mother and my bridesmaids. Everyone loved their hair and makeup and the guests complimented our "look" for the wedding. I joked that I hired professional models for my bridesmaids. Her prices are really good ! I would definitely recommend her to others

Sent on 08/30/2013

Hiring May was one of the best decisions as part of my wedding planning.
    She shows professionalism and is so easy to work with.
    I hired her for my engagement photos, trial session/bachelorette night and my wedding day.
    She helped with the bridesmaids, mother, sister and flower girls using two assistants.

Sent on 10/31/2013
  • Francisca

Francisca · Married on 10/20/2012

Came across May quite randomly during a search for makeup/hair artist for my wedding pretty close to date (ex. a month prior). Then got recommendations from another vendor as well as a colleague friend. She was already booked up before and after but could slip me in, and was available on the weekend I wanted to do a trial; it was meant to be.

Did the trial with May twice since I didn't know what exactly was it that I wanted; gave some misinformation which she happily obliged, and it turned out not exactly what I had expected. But May was sooo nice and kept encouraging me to tell her what I thought, and she really did listen without being defensive or anything. Her trial/engagement makeup session is also very affordable, so I didn't mind doing it again. My engagement shoot got rained out the first time anyway, so it all worked out at the end.

Third time was a charm on my wedding date. May came on time and got the job done well--both makeup and hair was exactly what I had expected, thanks to our on-going communication. I appreciate her follow-through even though I only booked her for ONE makeup & hair for the day, and she's filling me in between two other weddings of much larger sizes. It really shows that this is her passion and she really cares about each and every client.

May has been professional and polite throughout the whole experience; you can see she's genuine and kind. She listens to your input and makes the best out of it. She is flexible and willing to work around things. Best of all, her pricing is great for the value! If you're a bride on a budget, May is totally a steal!

Thank you May for making my day!

Sent on 11/04/2012

Grace · Married on 10/13/2012

May was so good. SO SO good at both the hair and makeup. I've tried several other places before I found May and none of them can do Asain makeup correctly, I ended up looking like Tim Curry in Rocky Horror. When I did my trial with May, I was very hesitant, but she was wonderful. She was able to make me look so much better then I ever thought possible. I'm so happy with her and recommend her highly!!

Sent on 11/27/2012

May did an awesome job with my hair and make-up. I don’t think I could have looked any better on my wedding day. She did a great job at listening to what I wanted, but also giving me her professional opinion. I wasn’t so sure about doing falsies, but she convinced me that they would look good in photos and it did! I was also a little hesitant about adding volume in my up-do, but she convinced me that I needed the drama to match my dress and it turned out really well.

May also did the hair and make-up for my mother and mother-in-law and they both were really happy with the outcome. My mother-in-law has pretty thin and short hair, so I thought it would be rather challenging for her to do an up-do. But May had some neat techniques that helped to add fullness to the hair. I was really impressed with the results and so was my mother-in-law.

All in all, I would recommend May highly!

Sent on 12/08/2012

Grace · Married on 06/30/2012

I had booked another stylist for my big day but she cancelled just a month prior to my June wedding. I contacted May a month prior to see if she could fit me into her busy schedule. May was professional and very comforting to my frantic e-mails. She replied all of my e-mails promptly and was more than willing to work with me. Within a week, we had a make-up and hair trial and I was very happy that I had found her! I had a large wedding party (myself + 6 bridesmaids + 4 family members). May and her glamsquad saved my day and made all of us looked more beautiful than I could ever hoped for. She asked each of us to come up with a hair/make-up style we liked and May was able to re-create each style. She and her team made all of my bridesmaids and family members extremely happy. May started hair and make-up at 7am and we finished everyone by 1pm, just as I had requested. I would recommend Beauty by May Chin to all of my friends, either for a wedding or for any event.

Sent on 11/15/2012

Angel · Married on 10/23/2010

My sister just got engaged and it just reminded me of May Chin. If you are looking for a great hairstylist and makeup artist, I would recommend May Chin! Not sure if any of you have been to any trials but I have had experienced quite a few myself. May Chin was not only great at what she does but she was very patient. As a Bride we can be very indecisive but May was helpful in providing great recommendations that fitted my needs. On my wedding day, I hired May Chin throughout the whole day. I did not have to ask her to touch up my makeup. Instead, she was very attentive and noticed when I needed touch ups. She did not only make me beautiful but also my Bridesmaids and Flower girl! I'm glad I went with her! Made my wedding day less stressful!

Sent on 12/05/2012