Amway Grand Plaza Hotel Reviews

115 | Grand Rapids, MI

115 Reviews for Amway Grand Plaza Hotel

Mary · Married on 07/22/2006

4.2

From beginning to end our event was handled well. The reception was beautiful, and the rooms for our guests were above expectations.

Afterward, follow up was negligent regarding billing questions. That was the only problem.

Sent on 08/28/2008

Dear Mary,
    Thank you so much for taking the time to post your review. We truly appreciate your continued support. We hope that you will visit us again in the future.

Best regards,

3.0

Great to work with! Will help you make your day exactly what you want--they're not pushy to sell more!

Sent on 04/28/2016

Kelly · Married on 08/15/2009

3.5

The service staff was fabulous and made sure that everything went the way we wanted. The only gripe that I had was that everything was for a cost even though we spent the amount we did.

Sent on 09/03/2009

Jane · Married on 10/14/2006

3.0

Beautiful venue, good value relative to amenities, great for out-of-towners to be able to stay after reception events, guests raved about the food and cake, perk to be able to get an anniversary cake 1yr later free of charge--beautiful and delicious

Sent on 08/26/2008

Jane,
    Thank you so much for taking the time to respond. We appreciate your continued support and hope to see you again soon. Please let us know if we can be of assistance to you in the future.

Best regards,
  • User2088042 · 2+ years ago

3.0

The venue is beautiful! The food was great. We had the cupcake tower instead of the traditional wedding cake, it was a big hit! Highly recommend this venue.

Sent on 08/28/2012

Casey · Married on 04/22/2009

3.0

We used this hotel for wedding party, family, and our guests. From the first moment we contacted them, they were on top of all things we needed! An amazing staff and beautiful surroundings made the whole wedding the best event in my life.

Sent on 05/12/2009
  • Barbara.

Barbara. V. · Married on 06/01/2019

Beautiful and professional

Ritzy and old timey charm wonderful place and staff

Sent on 04/25/2019
  • Vanessa

Vanessa · Married on 10/20/2018

Beautiful! Just price, slow communication

I planned our wedding from out of state. Getting ahold of Katie was really difficult. She was always busy, and it would sometimes take weeks for her to respond. It caused a lot of stress. But when we had our meetings she was very kind and informative. We got a great price and everything on the day of turned out beautifully. Everything worked out in the end! I would just recommend only booking with Amway if you are in town and easily able to walk into Amway when need be.

Sent on 02/06/2019

Debbie · Married on 04/18/2009

3.0

Parents and I stayed at the Amway 1 week prior to the wedding date- great service. Although it took a little while to book the room block- they were not as responsive as other hotels I called in the area. Rooms on the older side are a bit small, but the suites are spacious and nice. Great decor, friendly and helpful staff.

Sent on 04/22/2009

Krystle · Married on 10/21/2006

3.0

The Amway Grand Plaza is classic, sophisticated, and elegant. I loved how all the guests could stay there and have brunch the next day. But , there were alot of hidden cost with the Amway Grand Plaza. Example, $20.00/per cart to take gifts down to the car, we found this out after we already tipped the bellmen $100.00 to do so. I loved working w/ Tammy!!! She was very attentive and had a fun personality. The food was alright - nothing to write home about , was overpriced for what you got. From someone who is in te food and beverage biz , I was not overly impressed. We also had trouble with one of the bartenders - was vey rude to guests. We also had a non-wedding guest on the floor of the hotel where all of our guests were staying and they had complained of noise and ruined eveyone's night. When guests checked in , not all rooms were ready, maybe that is why we had the non-guest on our floor. Overall our guests I had a great time and overlooked the mishaps. I would reccommend the Amway Grand Plaza to people - it is a staple in Gand Rapids!

Sent on 08/27/2008

Ashley · Married on 10/29/2005

3.5

Everything looked fabulous, the staff were professional and friendly, the food was amazing.
    The only issue we had was that the coordinator didn't follow my directions when it came to how I wanted the room set up.

Sent on 08/28/2008
  • W

Stacy · Married on 08/14/2010

3.5

I loved almost everything about the Amway. The only issue I had with the catering is that they make it ridiculously expensive for you to use another source for the wedding cake.
    I met with the pastry chef and I thought that what we came up with was great. When I saw the finished product I was a little under-whelmed. It was ok, but I just thought it could of used a little bit more of the decoration that we had decided on. So I guess I would just warn brides to be very specific of what you want the cake to look like.

Sent on 08/31/2010
  • lolololol

Susan · Married on 08/29/2009

1.0
      3.0

The Amway was beautiful as the pictures depicts. Everything about it exudes elegance. The waitstaff was wonderful and punctual at my reception. The only thing is, you are going to shell out a arm and a leg to do it. Each room is about a couple grand depending on which you pick. One you do, you can only use amway's food, you can't cater in. The food is very expensive, not to mention there is a 22% service fee on everything you order from hor d'oeuvrs to the cake on top of the 6% sales tax. Our simple dinner plate was $50...x the number of guests, you do the math.

The Cake was beautiful, just what I wanted. It was decorated beautifully on the outside. The inside was 2 layers of chocolate cake with boche filling (hazelnut) and 2 layers of cheesecake with orange filling. It was covered in ivory buttercream to match my dress and had the details done in white buttercream. The only thing is, it is expensive. Its around $6.25 a piece. I had 125 guests so it was close to $800. There is a 28% surcharge on all food there (6% sales tax & 22% service fee [too serve the cake!]) so that made it exactly $1000 for a 4 tiered cake! THey don't give you left overs either.

Sent on 09/29/2009
  • User2044219 · 2+ years ago

3.4
      3.0

If you are getting married at the Amway, you better plan on spending top dollar. We were expecting a detailed contract, there wasn't and after we draft it up, it still took several weeks to get it finalized and signed. After we paid the deposit, didn't get a receipt, it took another trip down there to get one for our insurance company. The funny thing is the lady asked me "why do you need a receipt?" Consider the amount of events they host, I expected it to be more professional.
    The wedding did go smoothly though, Darrin is very professional, flexible and very detailed. That was very helpful. We were able to setup the night before since there wasn't anyone using the room.We didn't have a cake since they won't allowed it unless it's their cake and it was pricy. They also charge a 22% service fee. Which makes the sound and visual system very expensive, so beware!! Consider that part of your budget as well.
    The service was good overall. The food is fantastic and our guests had a wonderful time. We did have a few people crashing our cocktail hour by coming over and got several free drinks. To be honest, I don't see how one can prevent that. Maybe have your wedding party keeping an eye on it.The Amway did give us $100 gift card since we have no idea how many drinks those ppl took. That was very nice of them.

Sent on 07/09/2012

Jennifer · Married on 02/25/2006

3.2
      2.5

It was a beautiful day.

Sent on 08/26/2008

Amway Grand Plaza Hotel's reply:

Thank you Jen! We appreciate you taking the time to respond. We wish you all the best.