Above The Mist Wedding Services Reviews

Above The Mist Wedding Services 5
Above The Mist Wedding Services 6
Above The Mist Wedding Services 7

Crystal · Married on 09/17/2011

I had my wedding here this year. They were great : )

Sent on 10/13/2011

Taura · Married on 09/23/2017

I wanted to do a small destination wedding. Initially I was going to the beach but it was much too expensive. I found them online. From the first time we chatted until the follow up email the day after, Above the Mist was the most professional and proficient service I've ever had. They really think through ALL of the details. They make it easy for brides to disconnect. My flowers were amazing. I had a backup minister. The location was set up on time. They lined up my wedding party. Oh the ceremony! breathtaking! We did calls and follows. They helped me negotiate my catering. The cake. OMG the cake was freaking awesome! I'll tell any DIY bride going to Gatlinburg, go with Above the Mist or just stay home.

Sent on 09/26/2017

Above The Mist Wedding Services's reply:

Taura, Thank you so much. We strive for perfection at every wedding. Our brides are among the happiest in the Nation. This is more important to us than anything. I am so happy we were able to make your wedding dreams come true. Oh...and the cake!!!! Don't even get me started!!! LOL. Yum!

Jennifer · Married on 05/15/2014

I highly recommend Above the Mist. The staff is responsive and professional. This was a destination wedding and everyone was so helpful. They provided pictures of the various locations in which our ceremony could be held, which was very helpful. We chose to get married on the mountain. It rained on the day of our wedding. Our guests were provided with umbrellas (as there was light sprinkling). The view was fantastic. Rev. Ownby gave an amazing service! Kimberly was so amazing in taking our photos. The cabin and lodge facilities were perfect. (And we even had a bear sighting which livened up the reception!) I can not say enough about how wonderful they are. They are very up front with the terms and conditions and are flexible and accommodating with your budget and preferences.

Sent on 05/18/2014

Sterling Wascom · Married on 05/01/2019

Breath taking

From the taste of the food to the beautifully handcrafted architecture and certainly the breathtaking view all came together to make a memory that we will cherish for the rest of our lives. We had stuffed mushrooms with a potato bar and applewood smoked pork tenderloin and that’s just the start of the food. The caterer done an excellent job preparing and serving the food, everyone was so polite and respectful and all the way through the planning process every question we had was answered very quickly. We are very grateful for the opportunity we had to have our wedding at Above the Mist.

Sent on 05/09/2019
    Above The Mist Wedding Services 8
    Above The Mist Wedding Services 9
    Above The Mist Wedding Services 10
    Above The Mist Wedding Services 11

Sterling & Laura,
    We cannot express just how much we appreciate your kind words. Reviews like yours remind us why we love doing what we do, and you have been a joy to work with throughout your planning process. We thank you for taking the time to write this, and we wish you all the very best! Your wedding was beautiful, as are the two of you. Please let us know if there is every anything we can do for you in the future.

-The Above the Mist Staff

Brandie · Married on 05/09/2015

I had my wedding through above the mist and it was perfect I hardly had to do anything. someone was always there with an answer when I had questions. I'm so glad I went through them. Kimberly, Carrie, Joanie (sorry if I missed anyone) thank you all very much!!

Sent on 05/12/2015

Awesome staff that is very reliable. They listen and will make your day very special. The minster did an extraordinary job. It will be a day I'll never forget!

Sent on 12/27/2013

Amanda · Married on 04/30/2011

We had a very informal ceremony with just myself and my groom. It was the perfect choice. The ceremony was very personalized with just a brief introduction and a few words from my husband before I walked down the aisle, the minister made it unique to us. The photographer was sweet and helpful. I had a problem with my veil and she helped me out with that. She took very cute pics. The best part was the honeymoon cabin. It was amazing! Very tastefully decorated with lots of little extras too. Very worthwhile! It was very nice to simply make a couple of phone calls and emails and that was all the planning that we had to do.

Sent on 05/06/2011

Crystal · Married on 08/23/2008

3.5

If you are looking at getting married in the Smokey moutains I would definetly check them out first Awesome views for outdoor weddings and a beautiful indoor chapel.

Sent on 08/30/2008
  • Happily Married

Eric · Married on 08/12/2015

we loved working with them. The hemlock hills wedding chapel is gorgeous. It was perfect for us, and the small wedding we were having. They have a cute waterfall out front for photo ops. The ladies in the office are all great to work with. I would definitely recommend them.

Sent on 08/15/2015
  • Jennifer

Jennifer · Married on 05/02/2008

I would recommend this to anyone that wants a beautiful destination wedding and doesn't want the stress of planning a wedding.

Sent on 07/16/2008

4.2
      3.5

In comparison to other planners, this one seemed to be the best value personally. They were very responsive to my questions and requests. The upsides: They answered every question I had promptly and were nice about it (I've not been to many weddings and I wanted simple). They will do ANYTHING, but of course it's at a cost. However, THAT'S THEIR BUSINESS! We made the first set of arrangements (date, basic numbers, ideas etc). Between then and the wedding day we happened to be in TN (originally from out of state) and called to see if we could see the wedding site in person. They were awesome! Last minute notice they met us to take us up to the site. It was so pretty - I didn't really expect the site to be someone's home, but it was so quaint and ... perfect. I gave them very generic instructions on the flowers... I loved them. Simple. The day of our wedding.... IT POURED. We chose the outside venue, at dusk. They checked in with us a few times up until about 1 hr before the wedding to see if we wanted to switch to an inside venue. My husband and I were determined to get married in the pouring rain if that's what mother nature intended! And they were ok with it. The rain broke long enough to have the ceremony and take most of the pictures (which I thought were fantastic).
    The downsides: The live guitar player was expensive and we weren't crazy about his playlist. Wish we had known the playlist prior to paying for him. I loved the colors the matched for our cake and the convenience of them delivering to the reception, but actual cake was small for the price and design was something to be desired in my opinion. And the biggest downside - the cost of the pictures. I opted for the CD because the cost of the prints. It was almost $800, but due to a 4th of July sale? they were offering a discount and knocked a few hundred off.

So all in all I was pretty happy. Ya there are a few things that weren't perfect, however the day was memorable nonetheless.

Sent on 04/24/2014

Above The Mist Wedding Services's reply:

Thank you so much for your review. We learn so much from reading suggestions from our brides. We truly appreciate the good as well as the bad. I have to agree that the live music in this area is very expensive. I personally like the weddings with the recorded music. It is very professional and you never really know where the music is coming from as they are well hidden. We do not make anything at all on the live music, it is just a service we hire for our brides. I am sorry your experience was not perfect. If there is ever anything we can do, just give us a call. Thank you.

Jessica · Married on 09/22/2017

3.2
      3.0

We didn't enjoy our wedding planning experience here (we gave a poor review during planning), however, once we arrived at the venue the view makes it worth it. The women were friendly the day of and very helpful. They had the cake delivered to the reception which was nice. We were rushed and told we needed to leave the venue even though we had it for 30 more minutes which was not very professional or helpful and took the ability to take all of our pictures with family, the Bridal party and each other.

Sent on 09/27/2017
  • Cheyenne

Cheyenne · Married on 09/22/2018

3.0

Although very responsive my expectations were not met as promised when booking this company

They did not allow my guests to stand for me as I walked down the aisle. This was not approved by me or even asked if that is okay. My cake was hideous even my guest stated that it did not look anything like the inspiration pictures I showed them and they said they could do! I was given the time frame of 5-6pm the day before to pick up the cake as we were driving from 7 hours away for the wedding. I called to say we would be arriving between 5-5:30 and they tell me they were closing early in the next 30 minutes! Luckily my aunt had gone the day before and was able to make it in time. They allowed guest after guest to just walk into the room I was getting ready in minutes before the wedding as they asked and I stated no one to come in here besides my dad who was walking me down the aisle. I was very upset with that. The shuttle service that they “highly recommend” was awful! They would never return calls or emails and I could never get in touch with them for payments. The man who drove the shuttle service was very professional and nice. All together I was not satisfied on my wedding day. The scenery was outstanding as were the flowers and decorations but everything else was a bust to me. 9/22/18

Sent on 10/15/2018
    Above The Mist Wedding Services 12
    Above The Mist Wedding Services 13
    Above The Mist Wedding Services 14

Above The Mist Wedding Services's reply:

Cheyenne, our staff that was present at your ceremony did not and would not tell your guests that they could not stand to honor your entrance. You did, however, have your own minister and he did not ask the guests to stand. When our minister is used, he always asks the guests to stand to honor the bride. Our staff would not have overstepped and interrupted your minister to get anyone to stand, as this would be very unprofessional and they wouldn't want to overstep, as every minister does things in their own way. We are very confused about the "closing early" comment; if anything we close late in October. We do have quite a few weddings in the evenings. We are also very surprised at your comments about the cake, the wedding cake photo you sent us for inspiration is almost identical to your wedding cake. If you had an issue with either cake and would have come to us directly, we would have definitely done something to make it right. Customer service is our #1 priority and communication is key. But unfortunately we had no idea you were upset, so there was no way for us to try and resolve the issue. . As far as the shuttle company, we are very appreciative that you mentioned your issues with them, and because they were not responsive, we will no longer be recommending them to our couples. The staff member that coordinated your wedding noted that you did not specify that you didn’t want anyone in your bridal suite except for your dad. If this would have been mentioned, she would have made absolutely sure no other family members entered. We stress to our brides that communication is key, especially when it comes to the little details, as they add up to make a big difference in your special day. We do wish that you had come to us with this before writing this review, so that we could have worked out a resolution for you. Despite this, you did make for a beautiful bride, and we were honored to be a part of your wedding.

2.2
      0.5

I would not recommend this company to anyone. In the beginning they seemed so nice and interested in making my wedding special then once they got their first payment from me the tables turned and they decided they could treat however they wanted. Our first issue was that we wanted to take the cake out of our package because you can get a bigger and nicer one from walmart for much cheaper and when we asked to take that away from our package we were told that we would just lose that money because we already put down a down payment. Second issue was in the original quote we thought we needed 25 chairs but it turned out we needed 40 so the price jumped $250!! When I asked them why the price was so high they told me that they upgraded our package (without asking) and that's just company policy. For our final head count we ended up needing 30 chairs (at this point we had already paid for everything) and was told there is no refund and no credit would be given, basically too bad! I then talked to another staff member and was told we would get a whole $30 credit towards photos when it should have been much more. Then my biggest issue with this company was the photography! I had asked before we ever signed a contract with these people a ball park range of how much copyrights would be and I was told they couldn't give me a quote because it depends on how many pictures are taken. After the wedding I get an email from them saying my pictures are ready for viewing and I asked for a quote on how much copyrights would be. They told me it would be $1100 and when I complained stating this is way too much they said "our cd's usually sell anywhere from $1000- $1500" which tells me they could have given me a quote when I asked for one in the first place! Beware of these people.

Sent on 10/10/2013

Above The Mist Wedding Services's reply:

I am very sorry you did not have the exceptional experience most of our brides have. I feel it is very important to address the issues. The reason a wedding that goes from 25 to 40 would change the price so drastically is because we have no choice but to add more time on for that many guests. You and your guests would have felt so rushed without that extra hour added to the package. We absolutely NEVER want anyone to feel the slightest bit rushed on this very important day. We also have to add more staff, seating and photo time. As far as the photography disc price, I think you might be confused. The average discs we sell go for a few hundred, not thousands. We absolutely try to keep it very affordable. I will tell you that if you had addressed us with this concern, we would have bent over backward to make you have what you wanted. Customer service is much more important to us than anything else.

S. · Married on 08/05/2011

2.2
      2.0

Overall, my wedding day was very special and I appreciated the simplicity and convenience of getting a packaged deal. Working with Kimberly was great and I appreciated her help with everything since I'd never seen the venue, let alone been to Tennessee! She was great helping me plan all fo the little details and was flexible with all of the times I changed my mind on little things as well as rearranging the packages. However, from the time I arrived at the site, I felt rushed, didn't feel like I had a good idea of how things were going to run and overall things felt very cut and paste. I wouldn't recommend getting their photo package- the quality is about what you would get from anyone with a digital camera and everything feels very posed, and the prices of the photos are outrageous in comparison to the quality. I was granted a photo credit with my package that was not explained to me, so when I ordered photos online, I was almost reprimanded for not sending them the list of what I wanted (which they never explained to me how it would work until AFTER I ordered them!), and even with that list, I would only have had the choice to get all 4x6 or 5x7 photos, even though that's not the sizing I would have chosen on my own. I know it seems like a small thing to complain about, but I was not wild about the customer service I received or the treatment in regards to the photos. Those are the memories you take away after the ceremony, and I hoped I would get better ones.

Also, my niece made the comment that my 'custome bouquet' looked like Wal-Mart flowers. I would recommend getting your own flowers...they were pretty cheap. For $157, I could have bought something a little nicer at a florist and tied it myself...just my two cents though.

Sent on 10/27/2011

Above The Mist Wedding Services's reply:

I am so sorry you felt rushed. We try to stress the importance of being on time to all of our brides. If our couples are ever late, we do our best to still accommodate them to the best of our ability, but it will be a bit rushed. Our floral designer is among the best in the region. It is extremely rare for any of our brides to not absolutely love their flowers. We do welcome your comments as they only help us to get even better.

Morgan · Married on 09/01/2018

2.0

Please know that you get what you pay for. I am so disappointed in this company. My sister in law refered me to them and I regret it. The ladies there are nice, however they only want to email. I had to email them for two weeks back and forth which could've been solved once with a 15-20 minute phone call. The officiant we have was wonderful, however we had to pay $140 of an extra 30 minutes of pictures that I specifically told them I wanted soley dedicated to me and my husband. No family pics, no bridal party, just us. That didn't happen. Photographer told us whenever we had 15 minutes left and rushed through our pictures. Also, she spent the first 30 minutes there taking pictures of the groom and groomsmen and didn't bother to take pictures of me getting ready or the bridesmaids by ourselves until we asked afterwards. We had a family member doing our music... They stuck her at the back 50 feet away from everyone else with one little speaker. I'm very disappointed that the coordinators, and photographer didn't stick to our wishes about wanting time to ourselves since we paid almost $150 more just for the purpose of that. This was our wedding , the once (hopefully) in a lifetime chance you get and I felt like they could've taken it more serious. We still have to wait for our pictures to come back which I am okay with, all I have to say is I'm expecting it to be worth it and not looked rushed through for what we paid. The lady was very nice, but no one respected our wishes and I will not tolerate my once in a lifetime wedding pictures looking horrible and thrown together..So I am putting my hope in them turning out good. Other than that, thank you for the experience but please review what each bride needs, this is a precious and serious day for each person and the company should reflect their knowledge of that.

Sent on 09/07/2018

Above The Mist Wedding Services's reply:

The main reason that we prefer to speak via email is to avoid situations exactly like this. Email helps to have something to go back and read through, so we can make sure to get all details regarding what our brides want most. We have in email correspondence that you asked about adding more photo time onto your package less than 1 month prior to your wedding; we did check our photographer's schedule and gave you a price for this. The price included the extra photo time, as well as more time at the site. You said that you were discussing with your fiancé and would get back to us. You added this via phone 1 week before your wedding. There was never any mention of wanting this photo time to be for couple's photos. You said that you wanted the extra time designated for photos of the groom & groomsmen/family before the ceremony. These were the only photos to be done prior to the wedding per our discussion with you. When the ceremony was over, you said that there were certain people that needed to be photographed first because they needed to leave. You also requested lots of photos with your attendants. We placed the person playing your music the same as our normal music personnel. This is because we want to avoid getting them in the photos of your walk down the aisle. She needed our staff's guidance with the music, as she didn't know she would be playing your music until the night before your wedding. Your photographer tried to finish photos with guests and move on to couple's photos when needed, but you did insist on more photos with other people and in different combinations. You paid for 1 1/2 hours of photo time with us, but your photographer actually took 2 hours of photos that day. She wanted to be sure that she got at least 30 minutes of couple's photos, since so much time was spent on other photography. She did this knowing that she was only paid for the time that you had booked, because we want nothing more than for our brides to have the best experience.

Dianna · Married on 04/13/2018

1.5
      2.5

The minister was amazing, the ceremony was beautiful. The photographer was an absolute joke! The photos were horrendous. Ten photos were included with the package but out of 115 photos, we couldn't find even ten decent ones. The photographer took multiple photos of our backs. The 115 photos were the same photos just cropped differently or in black & white. There were probably only twenty different photos total. I would highly recommend the minister, but make sure to have someone in your party with a camera.

Sent on 06/28/2018

Dianna,

Good afternoon. First of all, we appreciate your kind words about Rev Jeff, he does perform a beautiful ceremony and he loves what he does very much. In regards to your negative experience with your photographer, you did book our Simply in Love package, which includes a short photo session with a photographer in training (an amateur). This package is priced lower than our other packages that include professional grade photos, because these amateur photographers are still learning the tricks of the trade, and small shoots with the couple only are a great way to hone their skill. In all of our years of business, we have never had a bride who was disappointed in a photography package that is priced so inexpensively. Also, the package clearly states that it includes 10 different photos of your choosing, and you stated that there were 20 to choose from. This means that your photographer actually gave you additional options at no extra cost. I wish there was something more we could do to make you happy, however we do hope that you understand that your photographer is still new to this art, and shooting your wedding helped her further in her training. Had you reached out to management directly, we definitely would have felt as if you were trying to solve any issue you may have had, and we would have possibly been able to work with you on a compromise; however this just seems as if you are trying to intentionally hurt Rev Jeff's business, and that is a shame. We, as a team, always strive to provide the most affordable options, and the best customer service possible.

Rhealan · Married on 10/20/2017

1.8
      1.0

I had a horrible time planning my wedding. Like I didn't in join it at all. Then while we was waiting to be drove up to the mountain site the trolley bus with the groom was headed up. I got lucky he didn't see me. We also had 3 mins to decorate which wasn't enough time. I had the worst experience and would recommend them to any one

Sent on 10/23/2017

Rhealan,

At Above the Mist Weddings we appreciate any and all feedback, even if it is negative. I would love to know what about the planning process you didn't enjoy, as we were never made aware that you were having a rough time planning with us prior to this review. We will take any suggestions you may have on how to improve the planning process in the future. We always strive to improve, and we always strive to make our brides feel at ease. As far as timing on wedding day, you did call and let us know that you had arrived at the base of the wedding site about 30 minutes earlier than your designated time, and we did inform you that the coordinator was on her way and would be there to take you up the hill when she arrived. We can only go up to the site so early, as to not cause reason for an extra fee from the site owner. We have it reserved for certain arrival and departure times and we cannot go any earlier than what we have booked. The shuttle has a specific schedule to stick to, so the fact that they arrived early as well was out of our control. The shuttle company is not affiliated with Above the Mist and was hired by you personally. In addition, we have never had a bride tell us that they have deviated from the schedule, so this has never been an issue. I hope that you can understand that we did all that we could, by having your coordinator arrive early to take you up to the site. The arrival time for a ceremony is such a crucial part of the planning process, and this is why we specify on your contract and when confirming, what time to arrive. When brides do not adhere to the arrival time we specify, it can make things seem disorganized. If there is anything we can do for you please let us know. You made an absolutely beautiful bride, and it was our pleasure to be a part of your special day.

Best Regards,
    The Above the Mist Staff

Lydia · Married on 04/25/2019

Dishonest and Untruthful

I’m sure for a small elopement they are fine, but if you’re having an actual small wedding please be cautious. They have packages online for their Mountain Estate Venue and it would be cheaper for you to book it directly through Gatlinburg Event Center. I had over 50 guests and it was a destination wedding for me. I had a lot of things that needed to be done the day before the wedding, so it would be set up for the wedding day, and Abovethemist almost made it impossible. They wanted to charge me $500 an hour to be the in venue the day before. I was paying for all of it, so that wasn’t in my budget. I honestly wouldn’t share these things in public, unless it served a purpose. And if one other bride can know what I went through and it spare her from the same experience then the time to write this review is worth it. I could share a list a mile long with you about how horrible my experience was with Abovethemist, but I will spare you all the details. However, I would want a future bride to know that one of the things that shocked me the most is the fact I was charged extra for each chairs I needed, and then my guest count changed, but I couldn’t get my money back. This would normally be fine, if the person charging you owned the chairs, or at least had permission to rent them! I found out that the chairs don’t even belong to Abovethemist! They belong to Gatlinburg Event Center who was NOT charging Abovethemist extra for them. And they sure didn’t see their share of what I paid Abovethemist for the chairs. Sherri at Gatlinburg Event Center helped me more with my wedding than anyone at Abovethemist did. Also, we are a military family and they didn’t give me a military discount on my wedding. And I learned they offer discounts for military when I tried to book my rehearsal through them. They quoted me that it would be over $500 for one hour at the venue. But they would give me a military discount to help? Mind blown. When I was able to book it through Gatlinburg Event Center for only $100. She knew I was a bride paying for my whole wedding and wanted to help as much as she could. What a sweet lady. I don’t have enough good to say about Sherri and Gatlinburg Event Center!

Honestly, I could go on, but I won’t, because I’m sure it will serve no good purpose. Because I know they will have a perfect explanation as to why I’m wrong and they are right. However, I did take time to think about it and wanted other brides to know the truth.
    Regardless of the backlash I might get, I had to warn other ladies and let them know the truth too.

Thankfully my wedding day turned out wonderful inspite of Abovethemist, but I could not be more disappointed in them.

Sent on 06/07/2019