A Taste of Excellence Catering at Grand City Hall Rotunda Reviews

55 Reviews for A Taste of Excellence Catering at Grand City Hall Rotunda

Raelyn · Married on 07/27/2015

3.2
      3.0

I have such mixed feelings about how to review A Taste of Excellence (TOE)

Positives: On the day of my wedding, they were incredible. The food was amazing (many people told me it was the best wedding food they have ever had) and the staff were wonderful (Stacy/Pam!). Every time a staff member walked by me, they made sure to ask if I needed anything. They were so attentive, which was very appreciated.

Negatives: in the months leading up to our wedding, we were half-tempted to fire TOE and find another caterer. Stephanie was our coordinator, and though she was extremely nice and knowledgeable, she was often very difficult to get a hold of. We totally understand that our wedding was in the middle of wedding season and she was VERY busy, but it became very frustrating when we would call and the receptionist would tell us she was at her desk and transfer us to her, and Stephanie would ignore the call. Furthermore, there were many emails where we would ask 3-5 questions, and she would reply (maybe five days later) only answering 1 or 2 of those questions, and ignoring the rest. We never felt like a priority to her, even the week of our wedding. Planning a wedding is stressful enough, so the added stress of a coordinator who was difficult to reach was a lot to deal with.

As far as value, this was another big frustration for us. When we first met with Stephanie, she gave us the initial quote, and also told us that they would price match any rentals. So my husband spent hours and hours finding better pricing to save us money, which they did price match. For a day or two, we were happy with that. Then, a co-worker of my husband tells us he booked with TOE and they offered him 30% off all rentals, of the bat, no price matching required?!? My husband was LIVID. He had wasted so much time to reduce our prices, when TOE offered another couple the discount without price matching.

Overall, the end product was great, but it took a lot to get there.

Sent on 09/15/2015

L · Married on 09/11/2010

2.6
      0.5
      2.0

The food tasted great, but they were completely unresponsive and added unnecessary stress to the wedding.

Sent on 10/31/2010

2.4
      2.5
      3.0

Leading up to our wedding everything was great with A Taste of Excellence. We worked with Kaitlyn who was always very prompt and professional in all communications. On our wedding day Kaitlyn was not able to come, and to this day I’m not really sure who was in charge of the catering staff. The uniformed staff arrived as planned but the truck showed up later than expected which created a rush in getting the reception area put together due to not having the tablecloths.
    Our guests thought the Hors D’oeuvres served during the cocktail hour were delicious. However, we had requested (in just about every meeting, it was in red on our contract) that our bar have margarita mix which our guests were told was not available. I had requested this as it is a favorite drink of my aunt who did A LOT of work to help out leading up to and the day of this wedding. Later on in the evening near the end of the reception it was found, but by then it didn’t matter. The buffet opened a bit late and the prime rib was very rare. It was supposed to be served medium rare and be able to be brought up in temperature on request. When I was asking people about the food in the days after the wedding, one of my guests told me that when the individual slicing the prime rib was asked for something more well done he stated that he had asked the cook, but this was all they had. Some guests informed me in the days after the reception that some of the thicker cuts of chicken were still pink in the center. The mashed potato bar was a bit hit though, so there’s that. Our guests indicated that the food that they were able to eat had a good flavor, however much of it was wasted.
    There was also a privacy issue in that they left their file which had my address and full credit card information at the venue.
    Overall the uniformed staff was very friendly to our guests. A Taste of Excellence did issue us a partial refund based on the outcome of the evening. In my opinion I would not recommend this caterer.

Sent on 10/29/2014

0.5
      1.5

In the beginning we were given great confidence that they were going to be exceptional and said they would handle everything. It was the biggest mistake of the wedding. I will simply state the facts.

1. The tasting was amazing. At the reception the quality was greatly diminished. It didn't look at all like the food at the tasting. They didn't serve the appetizer soups that they were supposed to serve. The salad was 1/2 the size it should have been. When we said something about it, their response was, "oh, no one really eats the food". Stunned.

2. When we arrived at the cocktail hour the dinner tables were not set. The tablecloths were the wrong size. The entire bottom of the tables legs were showing.

3. They broke the champagne toasting glasses that we bought..... before the toast.

4. The bartenders did not know how to make the martini bar drinks......that Taste of Excellence recommend we have.

5. They told my family member that they were out of water at the bar and served them water out of the ice bucket. I believe this is a health code violation.

6. Dinner was 1 1/2 hours late. And they told people they were out of meat. They did not make as much as they said they would.

I have no words. The presentation was sloppy.

Sent on 10/13/2013

0.4

disappointed -food allergies ignored
    It was very difficult getting pricing on a venue compared to all of the other vendors I contacted. We were open to a Saturday or Sunday wedding so we wanted pricing on both days. I had to contact Karen Levin several times to get pricing. We had 3 guests with food allergies so I made sure they were noted in our contract & in our seating chart that I gave to our planner Medeana Hobar. We were promised time & time again by Medeana that they would handle everything & not to worry. The day of the wedding none of A Taste Of Excellence staff was told what was going on. I had to personally make sure they had the correct food. Table 5 had two guests with allergies & both were served regular meals. Luckily since they were seated so close to our table I was able to tell the servers that they both had received the wrong meals. Then when the server returned she brought my grandmothers plain meal to our gluten free guest and by the time I saw it he had already started eating!! I waved down a server & she took his plate & asked me if she should give it to the other guest it was for & I demanded that she take it back because another guest had eaten off the plate. This could have been a life threatening situation if I wound not have intervened!!!! I felt like I could not enjoy my wedding because I was double checking your staff. The food was good but how do you miss ALL 3 guests with allergies? Also none of the salads had toasted almonds as promised. We have emailed 4 employees regarding this situation but we never received a response.

Sent on 08/04/2015