A Special Event DJ & Photobooth Reviews

102 | Indianola, IA

102 Reviews for A Special Event DJ & Photobooth

Jeanne · Married on 09/21/2013

"Josh" did a great job as DJ. He had the dance floor hopping all night and was flexible to take special requests or make announcements when the bridal party or parents of the bridal party made last minute requests. This company had a fantastic lighting system that I don't think anybody else in the area has - really added beautifully to the party environment. We would hire them again for any future big parties.

Sent on 09/24/2013

Lee · Married on 09/06/2014

3.5

The DJ was great. His only mistake was the entrance. It wasn't a big deal but we probably should have had that squared away beforehand. But he really added to the party and made it a fun night for everybody.

Sent on 09/23/2014

3.5

After much research and talking with several different wedding DJ companies, we selected A Special Event and are so happy that we did. The planning process was made very easy and hassle free. Everything was organized online so I didn't have to worry about it. The night of the event everything went perfectly. We had Dustin as a DJ and he was amazing!! I even gave him last minute requests that he took care of. He had the dance floor packed the entire night! I had many comments asking who the DJ was so they could contact them for their wedding. Everyone had a great time! The photo booth was also really fun. The only feedback I would have for that is to aim the camera up a bit higher so everyone didn't have to squat down. But there was a line for the photo booth all night too. I would absolutely recommend A Special Event to other brides and have recommended them to quite a few people!

Sent on 09/30/2014
  • Anna

Anna · Married on 11/17/2019

Super Fun Memories

Our guests absolutely LOVED having a photobooth, they were in there from the start of cocktail hour to the end of the night. I not only loved that they knew exactly where would be the best setup in our venue, but our personalized decoration at the bottom of the strip, had fun props, excellent quality photos, and most importantly the surprise book of our guests' photos to look at later and use as like a guestbook (plus a USB of all of the images to post online!)

Sent on 07/27/2020

Betsy · Married on 08/18/2018

Dustin and Jill were great

Dustin & Jill were great to work with - everything went smoothly and our crowd had a blast on the dance floor. We used the photobooth & it was quite a hit, they were able to use my design for the strips, which was a great added bonus. Dustin did our wedding party entrance to the Bulls intro theme (not an easy task) and totally nailed it.

The only thing I was disappointed in is that their URL was on our photostrips after I had confirmed this would be removed, and the strips were kind of wonkily cut (I'm a type A so noticed this). Also, some coordination with their planner, Ellie, was a little difficult at times, but it all got smoothed out in the end.

Sent on 10/22/2018

Ashley · Married on 07/22/2017

3.5

We absolutely loved them!! Our dj was RJ the Dj and he was awesome!! So much fun & outgoing! Our guests really enjoyed him too! He did a wonderful job!! The price was very reasonable too!!

Sent on 07/31/2017

Our DJ (Dylan) made the reception a huge success! I loved that we were able to package in uplighting and the photo booth with the DJ services. Plus, looking back on the photo booth pictures was a highlight of the day after my wedding. :)

Sent on 08/27/2015

Bobbi · Married on 11/15/2014

3.5

Your DJ did great job at our wedding. The guy who did ours was so nice and VERY efficient! He kept things rolling smoothly and the dance floor was seldom empty! He even came up and congratulated both me and my new husband separately and together!! He really was so nice and easy to work with! Thank you all for making our special day that much better!!

Colemann & Bobbi Haarhues

Sent on 02/07/2015

3.5

Edited songs given for first dance and mother son dance were not played.

Sent on 09/30/2014
  • User3692031 · 2+ years ago

3.5

Very fun dj that interacted well with guests

Sent on 11/20/2013

Nicki · Married on 08/16/2014

4.2

The photo booth was a huge hit! So glad we have those memories!

Sent on 10/01/2014

3.5

We absolutely loved out DJ's! They were not only professional but accommodating and fun with our guests!

Sent on 11/19/2013

Jenna · Married on 07/06/2013

3.5

Everyone did a great job!!! So great our friends used you guys for their wedding in sept! Thanks again

Sent on 11/12/2013

Brett · Married on 10/08/2016

3.5

We had a great experience with our DJ! The only complaint we would have is the website they use to plan the event is not incredibly user friendly, but they worked with us and we had no hiccups the day of. Well worth every penny!

Sent on 12/18/2016

Kristi · Married on 08/30/2014

2.5

We used both the DJ services, photobooth, and uplighting from A Special Event after having a friend recommend their services. I loved being able to browse their song library and fill out my request list online, as I was planning from across the country. I initially wasn't in love with the idea of using uplighting in our venue (we booked a package where uplighting was included at no additional charge), but IT WAS FANTASTIC. I hadn't realized how much using uplighting could jazz up our venue!

The DJ and photobooth attendant that worked at our wedding (a husband and wife duo), were great - they arrived on time, checked-in when they needed to make an adjustment with setup, and made sure the reception stayed on schedule! We loved getting a flash drive with copies of all our photobooth picture strips as a little memento of the evening. (They also brought all props for the photobooth....one less thing to have to think about!)

My only complaint was that their event coordinator confirmed information different from what I had previously confirmed (apparently they had another bride with a similar name who was getting married that same weekend..or something?). Looking back, it really wasn't a huge deal, but when you're within a week of your wedding, any sign of incompetence from your vendors can quickly make you feel like you're going to lose it. EVERYONE ELSE from the company that I had any interaction with was fantastic, and we would definitely recommend them! The only reason I mention this is that if you are working with them, you may want to work directly with one of the owners.

Sent on 01/28/2015

Elizabeth H. · Married on 05/25/2019

Great DJ, poor customer service

Let me start off by saying that our DJ was fantastic. Her name was Mara and she definitely knew what she was doing. Everyone at the wedding have a great time, and she certainly deserves that credit.

The only bad part about this company is that the planning professionals are separate from the DJs. Our DJ was perfect. But the people that helped us plan could be pushy and when they offered advice, it came off a little condescending. I took advice from a lot of my vendors, and sometimes the planning professionals at this company just rubbed me the wrong way.

Sent on 06/09/2019

A Special Event DJ & Photobooth's reply:

Thank you for the feedback. We loved executing your wedding. We value your feedback and will use it to make us better in the future.

Zack and his helper did an amazing job.

Sent on 02/04/2015
  • User4420840 · 2+ years ago

3.5

Having not met the DJ ahead of time, we were worried his style might not go with what we wanted. However, he was really great, we couldn't have asked for a better emcee. He also did a great job with the songs, everything was awesome.

Sent on 09/23/2014

3.5

Beautiful setup with wraps is what drew us to this service

Sent on 11/19/2013

We were happy with A Special Event DJ as our DJ for our wedding.

Sent on 11/24/2013

Elizabeth · Married on 03/28/2015

3.8
      3.5

I would recommend ASE to other clients.

Sent on 04/26/2015

Cindy · event on: 01/30/2015

3.8
      3.5

A Special DJ photo booth is a big hit at our corporate event.

Sent on 04/16/2015

3.2
      3.0

All communication for this company was completed via email. The form they provided to fill out info regarding our reception wasn't very clear and it was difficult to use. I specifically sent in a request via their form for a specific DJ. I received an email stating the DJ was confirmed for our reception. Two weeks prior to our event I received an email stating the DJ would be contacting us to confirm details and go over everything with us. Again, the week of the wedding, I received the same email stating the same thing. I never heard from our DJ. I knew it had been set up to be there because our event coordinator was working with the company to set up delivery, etc. However, I called the morning of the wedding to ensure we were ok because I had never heard from anyone when I was told I would. Ellie stated she would call the DJ. The DJ called us within a few minutes but it was NOT the DJ we requested and had confirmed. He was professional and did a good job but a family member who works for the same company had to jump in to get some of the special dance songs going and gain some excitement because the DJ wasn't doing much to engaged our guests. I truly felt like a mistake occurred considering we were told one thing and then didn't get that DJ. The DJ apologized and said he was busy with school work so that's why we hadn't heard from him. It turned out OK but I certainly wasn't blown away.

Sent on 04/16/2015

Moriah · Married on 08/02/2014

3.2
      3.0

It was very difficult to hear the DJ at our wedding. The speakers where under the balcony of the room this might have had something to do with it. It also was a little distracting when one of the girls working the event became ill. It caused the service of dinner to stop. I understand that some of these things are out of your control. I just wanted you to know if your in the same type of venue again you might be able to get better results.

Sent on 10/05/2014

3.0

The planning form and pre-wedding prep was helpful. I wish the DJ would have used the forms filled out and the information provided to prepare and act professionally at our wedding. saying over the microphone "I'm waiting for my cue" makes the customers and guests feel that the DJ was prepared or practiced at their job. The DJ also asked people for requests, but did not play the songs we spent time requesting on the forms during our wedding. We felt we could have made a playlist on iTunes that may have been better songlist to share with our guests than what the DJ filled in. All of the staff prior to the DJ were of great help, the DJ needed a lot of guidance from our venue coordinator and even the bride and groom during the reception to direct the events of the evening. Tim and his team were great- it was the follow-through by the DJ that needed more guidance.

Sent on 10/14/2015