A Slice of Heaven Hand Crafted Custom Cakes Reviews

126 | Sarasota, FL

126 Reviews for A Slice of Heaven Hand Crafted Custom Cakes

• brandi

Brandi · Married on 10/24/2009

My cake tasted wonderful! It was delivered on time and A Slice of Heaven was wonderful to work with. We were planning from out of town and they made the whole process very easy. We mailed them our cake topper and described the cake over the phone. It was exactly what I pictured in my head. The only reason I gave them a 4.5 instead of 5 on quality of service was that when I go up close to the cake at the reception I noticed on of the butterflies was moved slightly out of place. I don't think anyone else noticed, even in the pictures no one realizes until I point it out. Plus, it might have been done after the delivery. Overall they were great. Plus, in the area you can't beat the flavor and taste of their cake. Thank you!

Sent on 11/11/2009

Emily · Married on 08/03/2019

Our wedding cake was absolutely incredible and exactly the way we had discussed at our cake tasting. The flowers and shell sugar work were perfect and we were pleased that our custom surfboard cake toppers came out beautifully. The cake itself tasted wonderful and was very fresh. The only short coming we found was at the cake tasting itself. We weren't sure if there was a mix up in scheduling since I had scheduled via email, but they didn't seem ready for us when we showed up. They didn't seem to have anything prepared for a tasting, so we spent a little while waiting for them to get set up. Also, for the tasting, they had two main flavors of cake out with a lot of fillings, but didn't have any of their more exotic cake flavors available for the tasting. We ended up going with one of the exotic flavors and were happy that it turned out as good as it did since we didn't get to taste it beforehand. After the first half hour of waiting for the tasting to start, every other dealing with this company was very professional and they brought the cake on time and exceeded our expectations for appearance of the cake. We would buy from them again.

Sent on 11/01/2012

Jen · Married on 10/27/2012

A Slice of Heaven did a fantastic job on our wedding cake! We planned our wedding fairly quickly, and they were very accommodating getting us in for a consultation just 3 weeks before we got married. I definitely got the impression that they get a little bit more excited to make crazy cakes than more simple, elegant ones. We felt a bit pressured to use crazy dyes, embellishments and different flavors in every layer, which is NOT what we wanted. But I can't complain, because once we clarified that we were looking for something more understated, they really delivered it. The cake was there and set up when we got to the venue, and perhaps most importantly, it tasted delicious!!

Sent on 11/08/2013
  • User3019359 · 2+ years ago

I challenge you to find a cupcake at a Slice of Heaven that isn't absolutely incredible.

Sent on 01/27/2013

Danielle · Married on 10/08/2011

AWESOME! The most beautiful cake ever and it tasted great too! Wonderful to work with!

Sent on 10/11/2011
  • Brittany

Brittany · Married on 05/22/2011

Slice of Heaven's cakes are absolutely delicious! Key Lime is the best!!!

Sent on 07/02/2011

Tracy · Married on 05/21/2010

We ordered this cake over the phone as we were having a destination wedding. It was beautiful and even more importantly- it was delicious. My daughter had a destination wedding and the cake had some sea shells on it. Everyone had to do a double take as they looked incredibly real.

Sent on 06/27/2010

Ashley · Married on 10/03/2009

We ordered a two tier cake from Sarasota Cakes, using Key Lime & Raspberry filling. The cake was AMAZING & everyone loved not only the look, but also the taste! Sarasota Cakes was very cooperative with us when we had to make our cake smaller, due to a smaller head count. Everything we asked for was provided. I would recommend Sarasota Cakes to anyone having a wedding in the area.

Sent on 10/27/2009

Helena · Married on 12/10/2015

Beautiful and really tasty cake!
    Would recommend it!

Sent on 12/25/2015

We had our cake custom designed from a picture and it turned out exactly how I pictured it. The cake was also phenomenal and everyone said it was one of the best cakes they ever had. We had chosen a simple white cake with raspberry filling and it really was a amazing. I also saw some of their cakes being created for birthday parties while I made arrangements for my cake and the craftsmanship is out of this world. Highly recommend this vendor for wedding cakes as well as special event cakes.

Sent on 06/20/2014

Jennifer · Married on 12/01/2012

Cake was delicious and beautiful. They were excellent to work with!

Sent on 03/25/2013
  • jenshaka

Jenn · Married on 10/17/2009

I was recommended to use A Slice of Heaven by my wedding coordinator and I'm so glad that I took her suggestion! I had cupcakes instead of a traditional wedding cake and it was such a success! The cupcakes were unbelievabley moist and tasty....I only got raving compliments on them! The staff was very helpful. The strawberry filling I got in half of my cupcakes was nice and sweet, slightly tart and perfect with the vanilla cake and buttercream frosting. The other flavor I got was the vanilla bean filling with the vanilla cake and buttercream frosting. My personal favorite was the vanilla bean filling, but both flavors were a major hit with the party. Everyone wanted to take them home! I will only recommend A Slice of Heaven when it comes to cake. I live in Brandon and I would drive an hour just to get a slice of cake:)

Sent on 12/02/2009

Laura · Married on 04/11/2009

We ordered our wedding cake from them; it was beautiful and tasted great. The only drawback was the cake tasting appointment; they did not have all the flavors available to try, they didn't even have half of them available at the appointment. Luckily you can buy slices of cake there all of the time out of the front cooler so we had already had tried a piece of the key lime cake, which is to die for! We also just had our 1 year anniversary and the cake was still delicious a year later, we ate the whole thing! Their cakes are somewhat expensive but we will be going back for a Father's Day cake, my dad just LOVES the key lime cake!

Sent on 05/09/2010

Rebecca · Married on 05/19/2011

Overall we were very pleased with the outcome, we had a few issues but this was mainly due to trying to organise from the UK. We were initially advised by them to collect the cake ourselves as they seemed unhappy about delivering it?!? But after a final email to them the evening before the wedding they agreed to deliver it to us. The design of the cake was brilliant and looked amazing! It tasted great also we decided on a fench vanilla sponge with european rasberry filling and it tasted beautiful. Probably would have been a little easier to work with if we were living in the US.

Sent on 06/16/2011

Tiffany · Married on 03/30/2008

The cake was beautiful - just what we ordered. My only complaints are minor...they forgot our cake tasting appointment and were unprepared and it was a little pricey...but then again, all cakes are pricey.

Sent on 04/11/2008

Carrie · Married on 01/15/2012

3.5

A Slice of Heaven worked with us to create a beautiful and delicious wedding cake! They figured out how to attach our home made cake topper, placed the flowers beautifully, and delivered it to the venue right on time. On the business side - It was a bit strange that the cake tasting was only a few blobs of filling and a tiny bit of chocolate and vanilla cake, so you really couldn't tell what the final product would be like unless you bought a slice or a cupcake, if available. And when I called a few weeks before the event to pay the balance as directed in our initial meeting, I was rudely told that it should have been done weeks ago. So, they need to keep that policy consistent and not be rude to a customer that is calling to give them money per the contract!
    Otherwise though, the cake looked and tasted great! We chose one layer of vanilla with raspberry filling, and another of key lime with key lime filling. Guests loved it too!

Sent on 02/12/2012

Kelly · Married on 10/14/2011

The cake for our wedding was done by Slice of Heaven, and it was delicious!! We had both the vanilla and the pina colada cake, and I got tons of compliments! We had a very specific look in mind, and it came out exactly how we wanted it! My only complaints are that the topper fell off the cake (I can't be sure who is to blame for that..the bakery or the staff at the venue) and also, that when I called to confirm delivery time the day before the wedding, I was told that I hadn't made my second payment, so they wouldn't deliver without payment in full over the phone. I was fine with it, since it was my mistake, but a phone call or an email would have been nice.

Sent on 10/21/2011

Kelly · Married on 11/12/2009

2.5

What a beautiful cake! We had to organize our cake order via email and the professionals at Slice of Heaven were timely with our draft. Moreover, we had to make a change in the amount of cake about a week out and they were very flexible and able to accommodate the changes! Thank you for such a yummy cake too! We had NO leftovers!

Sent on 11/18/2009

April · Married on 03/20/2010

2.0

Oh do we love slice of heaven, I have nothing to say but they have wonderful cakes. Please keep in mind that they do need 6-7 week notice on a wedding cake. I didnt get one for our wedding I called 5 week before my wedding and they where so booked with the spring wedding, But I did want to let everyone know. Just because I didnt get my cake from there, there still amazing people. And I'll be there in a couple of months to get my 3 year old sons bday cake.

Sent on 04/13/2010

Nicole · Married on 05/03/2008

3.0

Our tasting went really well, they were very nice about adding an additional person at last minute. The cake looked very similar to the picture I brought in. The only thing is that I had asked for plain white cake as the top layer and they did not provide that. They duplicated the flavored 2nd tier instead of the plain white cake which is my favorite. Michelle was very friendly though and their response time was very good.

Sent on 09/21/2008
  • mel

Mel · Married on 10/19/2012

4.2
      3.0

A slice of heaven was delicious! We ordered a very basic 2 layer cake for our wedding and had no problems at all. We had planned on a simple floral arrangement on top but I forgot to set it up, ASoH was kind enough to call the morning of to double check with me on the florals and was totally okay with my mistake. They were nice every step of the way.

Sent on 10/28/2012

Jessica · Married on 05/12/2012

3.5

We were planning from afar which made getting the exact details for our cake a little hard. There were a few bumps in the road along the way especially with communication. However, we were very happy with it at the end and it tasted 'heavenly'. We had a lot of yummy comments from guests about how good it was and I hope we wrapped it good enough so it still tastes yummy on our 1 year anniversary!

Sent on 05/28/2012

3.5

We LOVED 2/3rds of our wedding cake! Really, we did. The french vanilla with the raspberry filling (my husband's layer of the cake) was excellent! And the cake was pretty.

The other 1/3rd tasted fine...but I was disappointed. We did key lime flavor, which I was really excited about. It wasn't on the tasting but there was a slice in the case they let us try it. Well, they had me back for a quick key lime tasting with one of my girlfriends...I thought it was great they were willing to do this. And we chose chocolate filling. On the wedding day...NO chocolate.

I am of the type to provide feedback when needed and let them know when we got back form our HM. They did not know how to respond...as I am sure this does not happen often. They insisted the baker remembered putting chocolate in the cake and asked me if I had a picture. Well, I didn't at the time. Well it turns out I DO have a picture and yeah, no chocolate.

I still gave them a good rating as everything else was fine and our guests enjoyed the cake. They were flexible by offering us a second key lime tasting and were quite accommodating. The slip up was not a major slip like getting the wrong cake entirely or giving us peanut butter filling. I've also had their cake at many other weddings and everything was perfect for them. The other reviews for them are very positive and I am sure this does not happen often. But in the end I was disappointed about my layer.

Sent on 04/20/2011

Liz · Married on 03/20/2010

3.2
      3.0

A Slice of Heaven prepared a BEAUTIFUL cake for our wedding day! It was exactly as we ordered it and we had many many compliments on how wonderful it looked and tasted.We had a tuxedo cake (alternating layers of chocolate and white) with chocolate mousse and raspberry fillings. Many wedding cakes look good but taste like cardboard... this was not the case with Slice of Heaven. It was delicious.

The only problems we had were with communication. After placing the order for our cake it was very difficult to reach the business by telephone. We also had a situation where we needed our contract faxed to us because we lost our copy. The person answering the phone acted like it was a huge inconvenience for them to do this for us and actually sighed into the phone and said "I guess we can do that." We were paying several hundred dollars for a cake, the least they could do is send us a fax!

All in all the product was spectacular but the service was just OK.

Sent on 04/06/2010

Stacy · Married on 01/14/2017

2.0

The cake tasted AMAZING. After that though, my good review ends. We asked for a very specific cake, and it came out looking not like what I had wanted. It still looked okay, but not what I wanted. Also, they originally quoted me at over $300. I went to a few other places and got their quotes, and went back, and they lowered their price. I wish they had just given us the price in the first place. All in all, Im happy we went with them because the most important part is eating the cake, however it was not what I wanted at all look wise. Not to mention it completely fell apart, but that was after we already had the cake.

Sent on 09/12/2011