A Better Deal Designer Tuxedo and Suits Reviews

23 | La Jolla, CA

23 Reviews for A Better Deal Designer Tuxedo and Suits

23 A Better Deal Designer Tuxedo and Suits Reviews

Monica · Married on 03/05/2017

Friends wedding rented tuxs and was okay

Samantha · Married on 04/22/2013

Janet from the start made sure the suits fit and that all the guys in the wedding party had what they needed when they needed. she communicated often to ensure everything went smoothly. And when on the day of with a lost tie and pocket square, janet made sure that one was made available last minute.

A Better Deal Tuxedo is a great shop to get your suit or tux with great tailor recommendation, not to mention the suits and tuxes are just a step above in quality from the chain stores. if you're looking for something a little better and not so cookie cutter go here.

Sent on 07/21/2014

A Better Deal Designer Tuxedo and Suits's reply:

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts. It's people like yourselves that help keep us motivated and continue to strive for success and satisfied customers. May you have a healthy and happy life together! Janet & Jerry Klein

Summer · Married on 08/08/2010

One of the very few tux stores that have quality suits at an amazing price! Will definitely come here for all future events!

• ccardarella

Corrine · Married on 04/24/2010

It was an absolute pleasure to work with A Better Deal Tuxedo! They provided tuxedo's for my husband, my father and our groomsmen. Thanks to Janet and the knowledgeable ABD staff these guys have never looked better! Janet helped us picked out the best tux for my husband and for our budget. Thank you ABD. It was our pleasure!

Greg · Married on 04/17/2010

True professionals. They were kind, flexible, and extremely knowledgeable. I would recommed A Better Deal Tuxedos to anyone getting married. They are the best.

Marlin · Married on 02/20/2010

My wife and I initially looked at Tux's at the Men's Warehouse. We were not thrilled that you could only be fitted for a tux but they did not have a selection to try on at the store. After checking some reviews we found A Better Deal Tuxedo. We scheduled an appointment with Janet, one of the owners who is an absolute doll to deal with. Janet took great care of me and even though all my groomsmen were coming in from out of town, the final fitting went without a hitch. The quality of the tuxedo's were far superior and they have competitive pricing which is flexible depending on the options you want. Put the quality with the service levels together and it's a no brainer. Janet and Jerry have a great shop and if your in need of a tuxedo for a formal occasion, I highly recommend stopping by their store in Birdrock.

ben · Married on 09/05/2009

Janet was awesome in every single area. We couldn't have been more thrilled with all she did for us and how professional she was. She came as a reccomendation from a friend who was in the same business, and they said she was the best in town and I couldn't agree more.
    We would reccomend them to anyone considering a wedding.
    Ben and Julie Wood

Armin · Married on 07/25/2009

I would choose A better Deal over and over again for future occasions!

Andy · Married on 07/25/2009

A Better Deal did a wonderful job with the tuxedos for my groomsmen and me! Every interaction left me feeling like a valued customer. I highly recommend Janet and her team.

Jimmy · Married on 07/18/2009

I actually first planned to use another tailor, but visited A Better Deal on a recommendation from a friend and there was no comparison. Not only was A Better Deal's tuxes cheaper, they were better quality and we loved Jerry and Janet. Also, all of my groomsmen and family came in from out of town and they made accommodations for them to send in their measurements and pickup their tuxes once they got into San Diego. I will honestly never use another tailor.

maureen · Married on 06/20/2009

Janet at A Better Deal Tuxedo was amazing. They had a very large selection, and they were so patient and professional. I didn't give them very much time to work with, but they delivered with great communication and outstanding service. My whole family made comments to me about what a great experience they had there. They are so down-to-earth, yet serious about giving top-notch service.

Marion · Married on 05/30/2009

Janet & Jerry are an absolute pleasure to work with! They are wonderful, kindhearted people who are dedicated to making your special occasion more perfect than you ever imagined. I was thoroughly impressed with their service, experience, accommodations, and attention to detail to my 8 groomsmen and 2 fathers for my wedding in Del Mar, CA.

Janet helped me to create the exact look/style I wanted, going above and beyond, and keeping in touch with me regularly as I planned my wedding from out of state.

I would highly recommend A Better Deal Tuxedo in La Jolla for any occasion - big or small. The Klein family cares about you as soon as you walk in the door and will do anything it takes to make you 110% satisfied that you did.

Chiara · Married on 10/11/2008

Janet and her staff were outstanding! We really loved the experience that we had! We wouldn't have gone anywhere else and are always recommending ABDT to all of our newly engaged friends and anyone who would need her expertise! Thank You!

Nelson · Married on 04/10/2010

No one is perfect, but these guys are about as close as you'll get. I've been in multiple weddings and I've never had the entire process go so well.

• Lindsey

Lindsey · Married on 04/30/2016

We had a great experience at A Better Deal Tuxedo. Their shop may be small but their customer service is great! They went above and beyond to make us feel special and spent time reviewing ever little detail with use about the different looks and options. They even allowed my step dad to try on his full tux as well. They are going to make our wedding party look amazing! Thank you for all your help.

Diana · Married on 10/10/2015

My husband and I made an appointment about four months before our wedding day, and picked out tuxedos for four groomsmen and himself. My husband tried on a few different styles and ended up selecting an outfit for himself and the groomsmen by the end of the appointment. At that time, we were told because we had five rentals, there was a special where we had a credit for an additional rental in the future. We ended up selecting another tuxedo for my husband for the reception since I also had an outfit change. The whole appointment took a little over an hour from start to finish.

About a month later, my father-in-law decided he wanted to rent a tux, so we went back in and picked out a style that would go with the color scheme, but not necessarily match the wedding party. Since he's from out of state, he had to send in his measurements.

When picking up your rentals, be patient with the staff and be prepared to wait a bit. They are busy around the designated pick-up time because customers start arriving to pick-up and try on their rentals. It can get crowded since there are only two dressing rooms, and last minute adjustments need to be made. My husband and father-in-law picked up their rentals a little earlier that day, so for the remaining groomsmen, it took about an hour.

Overall, a wonderful and happy experience with this shop. The staff was friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable on the variety of styles available.

Linda · Married on 03/22/2014

My groom had several issues come up with some friends who were supposed to be in the wedding party, so we had to make a couple of changes, including one last minute one about a month before the wedding.

Rudy and everybody at A Better Deal did a great job accommodating all the changes and substitutions we had. My groom picked a suit style that had limited sizes, but it still worked for the variety of heights and body sizes we had. All the guys looked so dapper!

Michael · Married on 04/15/2011

They were able to fulfill all our needs. We had people sending in sizes and they were able to make changes while we waited. The staff is very friendly and really make you feel welcome. Service was top notch.
    The dog is friendly as well.

Jon · Married on 04/09/2011

This tuxedo company was best! I have recommended this company to every person looking for a good suit. I found they provide excellent suits for the same price if not lower than comparable companies. They treated my wedding party with excellent service! This place is definitely worth checking out! I know I will always use them for my future suit rental needs.

Karen · Married on 07/19/2013

4.2

We rented the suits for the guys here for our wedding. They have a good selection of items. We wanted a specific tan color and they were able to help me find it. Janet is so sweet and helpful. They have all the suits onsite so if one of your groomsmen gave the wrong measurements or something doesn’t fit they can get another one or alter it right there. This was huge for us as all of our groomsmen came from out of San Diego County. There were a few that needed alterations on the day of pickup and it went off without a hitch. We have since been back to rent a tux for a charity event and there is no doubt that we will go back to buy one if we need one again. Thanks!!!

Clarice · Married on 10/10/2009

3.0

Great owners...very genuine, caring people! Overall service was average - disorganized operations lead to some last minute adjustments and mistakes in color of accesories.

tyler · Married on 06/18/2011

0.8
      1.5
      2.0
      0.0

My intention is to make this review as honest as possible, so that couples getting married in the future can use it to select the proper tux rental establishment. I am going to keep this review in chronological order, so you have a good idea of how my experience went.

In our effort to visit several tux stores to see which one would be right for our wedding, we visited A Better Deal Tuxedo. When we pulled up to their store in Bird Rock, we felt that the exterior was a little run-down looking and the sign was super old. However, when we walked in we met Janet, the co-owner. She was extremely friendly and we seemed to get along with her right away. She explained to us the process and we looked through the suits and showed us pictures of all the famous people they have dressed on the wall.

After that, things seemed to go downhill. We were renting almost 15 tuxedos for our wedding and I chose them because their suits are actually retail suit/tuxedos, as opposed to Savvi Formalwear, which almost every other tux shop has. After the first appointment, we came in 2 or 3 other times and every time I personally felt like I was bothering them. This was highly disturbing as we spent almost $2,000 dollars at their store ($175 per tux, with one rental free). Also, I noticed that all of their notes were handwritten on a single sheet of paper. Therefore, when we changed things, they scribbled out old notes and either wrote on top of it, or in the margins. Sloppy. Is this not the 21st century? Who does not use computers nowadays?

While the other employees were great, Janet’s mood seemed to decline throughout the process. She even had the audacity to talk crap on me to my best man behind my back! Was I really not going to hear about it? Furthermore, there was some miscommunication about the ties we were going to wear and they ordered them without letting me know, so I happened to buy my own ties, but they still expected me to take care of them! Fortunately, Janet resolved the matter and we were over that.

The day before the wedding we went to pick up our tuxes. They managed to give everyone shoes except for me, the groom, which boggled my mind! They tried to tell me, after I already tried on several shoes, selected the exact size (they run large) and style, that I had not asked for shoes. What a joke, why else would I have tried on the shoes several times? Instead of resolving this matter calmly with the suggestions I put forth, they were combative about it. This is when Jerry, the owner (Janet’s husband) got on the phone. He talked about all the pictures on the wall and all the famous people they have dressed and finally said:

“I hope you never get married again!”
    Jerry, Business Owner
    A Better Deal Tuxedo

After that I was just plain enraged. How could someone in such an industry talk to their clients this way? Especially, the OWNER. He clearly meant to be malicious as I could hear the intense anger in his voice. Needless to say, while their tuxedos are OK, and employees decent, the owners and the way the run their operation is a joke and I would never recommend their services to anyone I truly cared about on their special day.

There are thousands of other tux shops who operate their business efficiently and don’t treat their customers like crap. Although, I guess if you are a celebrity, they might treat you nice.

0.4
      0.5

If you look at the online reviews, you would immediately select this place. However, BEWARE OF HIDDEN REVIEWS! All 1 star which we didn't notice until too late. We learned the hard way that this place is unprofessional. In my case several groomsmen and the groom owned basic black tuxes. We only needed a couple of basic black tuxes for the rest of the guys. When I called to check prices to determine if it was cheaper to rent or buy, I was told that the rental prices for the tuxes are $135 plus shoes. This seemed fine, and I was planning from afar, so I made arrangements over the phone and selected slim fit tuxedos. The groomsmen sent in their measurements, and all seemed well, I even received a thank you note in the mail...how nice! A week before the wedding we were in town and happened to stop in. My dad got fitted for a tuxedo, looked great, again, all seemed well. Well, it turns out, things were about to hit the fan. I looked at the groomsmen invoice and saw $185 plus tax plus shoes... what?! Where did the $50 upcharge come from? Turns out slim fit was more... but no one ever told us! That $50 would have made the difference between buying and renting. I understand things get miscommunicated, but the store did not tell us about this upcharge, actually many employees told us $135 in separate conversations over the phone. The problem for me was how they handled it. The employee, including the OWNER who was later brought out, treated me (a bride getting married in 1 week), my fiance, and my father, like absolute garbage. They offered no remorse for their poor communication, YELLED at us like WE were the problems, did not listen to how their pricing could be misconstrued (being told a tux rental is $135, selecting a slim fit tux, and never being told about an upcharge for your selection-- wrong!). DO NOT GO HERE unless you want to be treated like "gold" until you ask questions. Truly incompetent. No more room to write but just trust me and go elsewhere.