709 Reviews for 74 Events - Gary Hoffmann

Liability Insurance (71)
Microphones (43)
Photobooth (1)
709 74 Events - Gary Hoffmann Reviews

After reaching out to James’s (our DJ from 74 events) references and reading so many glowing reviews, we had high hopes for the DJ on our wedding night. We’re thrilled that James managed to exceed our expectations. We gave him a big list of songs so he could get an idea of what we like, but only a few ‘must plays’ so he could play what he felt most appropriate to match the vibe of the night. This ended up working great. We had so much fun and we received a ton complements on the music selection and energy of the dance floor. James even seemed to find and play our favorite songs on the list even though I don’t know how we would know what these were.

Before deciding whether to work with James/74, we went back and forth between going with 74 Events or a club DJ we know and so glad we went with 74. Not only is music very important to the night, but a DJ who has experience emceeing a wedding and understands the flow of the night is crucial. It’s also important to go with a DJ that understands wedding crowds and can mix music of younger generations with favorites of our parents. James selection of dance and hip hop was our favorite but he did an outstanding job with his selection of songs from the 70s and 80s. Nothing cheesy or overplayed, but some great, timeless songs that got everyone on the dance floor. It was also a big plus that 74 and James had experience DJing at our venue and I think helped the night flow perfectly.

If James was a regular at a club or bar in Manhattan, I’d probably be there every weekend.

Profile Picture Ryan, 5/4/18, 1 Review
Category: DJ

Gary and Rob were recommended to us by our wedding day coordinator, and I can't thank her enough. First off, they have a very efficient business model. We communicated with Gary primarily in the beginning and as our wedding day approached, we spoke more to Rob. They are extremely organized, responsive, and SO NICE! On the day of, Rob was incredible. He communicated with us throughout the ceremony in a stress-free manner, making sure that we were all on the same page, leading us throughout the day without a hitch. It all flowed so seamlessly. Multiple guests approached me raving about his service and asked if they could get his information. We had a day wedding but got the dance floor packed with the very first song. We requested some kpop music too when we came out in traditional korean clothing, and they played some super fun songs. They were very flexible and know how to get the party started (and going!). We loved all our vendors, but the folks at 74 events were one of our best choices!

Profile Picture Sunnie, 4/28/18, 4 Reviews
Services Used: Do-Not-Play List, MC, Microphones

I cannot say enough good things about 74 events. Looking for a DJ was hard for me - I’m a bit of a music snob and i didn’t want a typical wedding DJ. I needed someone who knew good music, could read a crowd and would tailor the playlist to our wedding. From start to end, Gary was a dream to work with - communicative, professional and so, so easy to work with. Our DJ was James Arnold and he absolutely crushed the dance floor. In my last meeting with Gary and James, i told them the goal of my night was for my guests to be dancing all night, sweaty and for shirts to come off (haha)! And actually, this happened. Everyone was on the dance floor, from some of the older people in the crowd to younger people. The music was fire the entire night and James was able to read the crowd and tailor the mix to ensure the party kept going. I would hire these guys again in a heartbeat.

Profile Picture Andie, 4/28/18, 2 Reviews
Category: DJ

My sister hired 74 Events for her wedding and DJ Gary absolutely turned it out!! I knew for certain when my time came that I would hire this company. DJ David Medina was assigned to my wedding and my husband and I couldn’t be happier with his work!! First of all, the company is extremely professional, kind, and warm. Dealing with both Gary and David was a pleasure and they handled all of our requests (many of them last minute!) with ease. We supplied a list of songs but wanted to leave a lot of it up to David so there would be some surprises and he did a fantastic job. We wanted a massive dance party and for our guests to leave looking like they’d been through something— and that’s exactly what we got!! 2 weeks later people are still telling me how much fun they had and how great the music was. I would recommend them to anyone. Thank you 74 events!

Profile Picture Danielle, 4/28/18, 3 Reviews
Services Used: Microphones, Do-Not-Play List, Liability Insurance, MC

Working with Gary and Sean was a dream. Gary made set up very easy and worked with us to make things exactly how we wanted it. As for the music itself, Sean really killed it. He kept things moving and gracefully rolled with some last minute changes and weather disasters. The thing I liked the most was that he played all the crowd pleasers up front, so the older folks felt like they had a blast even when they were done dancing before dinner. A super smart choice and it made all the difference. Can't recommend this team enough. They're great!

Profile Picture Eric, 4/28/18, 1 Review
Category: DJ

I booked 74 events based on recommendations from a coworker as well as two friends who are wedding planners and have worked with them multiple times. One thing that sets them apart from other DJs is that Gary (the owner) handles all of the logistics (and he is SO SO organized and super responsive), leaving the DJ free to make sure your guests are having a great time. He answered all of our questions before we even knew we had them! Our DJ for our wedding was James, and I can't say enough how amazing he was! We had a lot of particular requests for our reception and he included everything. My sister was unable to come home from her deployment in Iraq for the wedding, but she recorded her maid of honor speech, sent it to Gary, and James played it at our wedding (this was really such a special moment and we were so happy James and Gary found a way to help us include her). We also wanted a cake cutting song, a birthday song for my Uncle's 60th, and a dedication song for my grandmother who passed recently. I was worried this would feel like too many different things in a row, but I couldn't believe how seamlessly James made this happen. The music was phenomenal and our guests were dancing the whole night. One of the groomsmen said to us the next day, "my fiance has maybe danced a total of 20 minutes in his whole life before your wedding, and he was on the dance floor the whole time!" My husband and I had so much fun dancing we forgot to eat our dinner! I honestly can't recommend 74 Events enough, and will definitely be recommending them to all of my engaged friends.

Profile Picture Christy, 4/27/18, 4 Reviews
Services Used: Do-Not-Play List, Liability Insurance, MC

I would absolutely recommend 74 Events/Sean Marquand for any wedding or event. From our very first correspondence until after our wedding was over, they were nothing but accommodating and very communicative throughout the whole process. Most of all, Sean was a fantastic DJ – he had the dance floor continuously packed and we got many compliments from our guests saying how much they loved the music!

Profile Picture Sean, 4/27/18, 1 Review
Category: DJ

We are music lovers and we were blown away with James and Gary. Our friends danced all night and raved about the great music. You won't be disappointed.

Profile Picture Chris, 4/22/18, 1 Review
Category: DJ

I am so happy that I choose 74 Events for our wedding. Gary is so great at what he does, he truly cares about making his clients feel at ease. He listened to everything I wanted, shared his opinions, and offered me suggestions when I was indecisive. We were lucky enough to have Rob Kelley as our DJ. I don't know if words can possibly describe how much my guests LOVED Rob! Originally I thought Rob was going to have a hard time with our wedding, there was just so many musical genres we wanted incorporated into our wedding. We included in our music worksheet everything from the oldies of various decades, 2000's hip hop and r&b, 90's indie and alternative, salsa, merengue, and bachata! Let me tell you that Rob exceeded our expectations! Instead of listing every single song we wanted played, I gave Rob a few general songs from each genre and he took the vibes I was going for and flew with it. He knew when to play what at a certain point in the night, as well as how to switch genres seamlessly so that it all flowed together. We have received so many compliments from our guests about how much fun they had drinking and dancing, no one wanted to leave! I seriously recommend you to hire 74 Events and Rob Kelley if you want to have a memorable, wild, and dance party sweaty wedding!

Profile Picture Nicole, 4/21/18, 1 Review
Services Used: Do-Not-Play List, MC, Microphones, Sound/PA System

Excellent experience working with Gary and Joel at 74 Events! Gary owns the company and is the point person for correspondence. When working with Gary, you really get a sense for how much he loves his work and how important it is to him that his client has a quality experience. We met with Gary and Joel twice before the wedding allowing them to really understand us and our musical tastes. They provided detailed spreadsheets and samples of Joel’s DJ’ing, so that by the second meeting, we all had a solid idea of the music we wanted. They also went over our timeline with us extensively, to make sure dinner, first dances, toasts, cake cutting etc. all went off without a hitch. Day of, Joel arrived early to make sure everything was being set up and was ready to go. Once the part started he did a fantastic job- people were on the dance floor all night!!! He played a mix of everything we wanted with seamless transitions in between. Did a great job MC-ing the evening as well!

Profile Picture Rebecca, 4/14/18, 3 Reviews
Category: DJ
Services Used: Do-Not-Play List, Liability Insurance, MC, Microphones, Sound/PA System

We really loved working with 74 Events! Gary is incredibly patient and passionate about his work! You can tell that his clients' satisfaction is very important to him. I didn't find him on WW (he had worked on two of my friends' weddings) but did check here for reviews before hiring him.
We had Rob for our wedding, and he too was very excited to create the dance party vibe that we were going for! They really think through all the details and helped us when we were stuck on selecting specific pieces like our recessional song. They also accommodated my husband walking into the room to Imperial March which our guests LOVED-there was wild cheering!
Our guests have independently commented on how the dance floor was crowded the entire time, and how much they enjoyed the music. We left the final song selection up to Rob, and he really came through-he chose Piano Man because I'd mentioned during our final meeting that Billy Joel is my favorite, and it turned into a big circle with us in the middle, our guests singing along, and all the glow necklaces we'd provided covering the floor around us. LOVE!!!

Profile Picture Shaya, 3/24/18, 8 Reviews
Category: DJ
Services Used: Microphones, Sound/PA System, Do-Not-Play List, Liability Insurance, MC

Huge thank you to Gary & Ben for making our wedding so memorable! Ben Carlin was our DJ and he was AMAZING! My husband and I were already married so we just wanted our wedding to be a big party for our close friends and family. Ben went beyond and captured exactly what we were looking for, for our special day. Not to mention, he has great taste in music!

Gary was just so great to work with and very responsive. He made the entire process so seamless. He was very attentive to detail and went over each aspect of the wedding, even things that my husband and I weren’t thinking about.

We got to meet with Ben and talked more in depth about our musical tastes and what we were looking for on our big day. It felt more like a fun collaboration, where we all bounced ideas and songs around. We were open with our playlists, so he played all the songs that we wanted AND mixed in his own great selection of music. Our dance floor was completely full, full of energy with everyone singing along and having a blast! I don’t think there was ever a moment where the dance floor was empty. We received SO many compliments from our guests throughout the night and days later, of how amazing Ben was, how great the music was and how much fun they had! His flow and ability to keep the evening moving along was perfect.

Absolutely loved working with Gary & Ben. I highly recommend them! Fun, friendly, on point, on time, open to ideas, great taste in music and a great sense of flow, if we ever have another big even we would work with them again in a heartbeat!

My husband and I can’t say enough great things about them!

Profile Picture J, 3/24/18, 4 Reviews
Category: DJ

When my husband and I met with Dan and Gary at 74 Events, we both had our own individual ideas of what we wanted for our wedding music. He wanted 80s pop and contemporary dance hits and I wanted electro swing. Gary walked us through a very helpful spreadsheet which helped us to narrow down exactly what we wanted and our DJ Dan made a truly spectacular playlist. Our guests all danced until the very end and he even managed to get my 87 year old grandfather to bust a move on the dance floor. Cannot recommend them highly enough!!

Profile Picture Ashley, 3/24/18, 2 Reviews
Category: DJ

Cannot say enough great things about the 74 events team, Gary and our DJ James Arnold! They were absolutely amazing. From our first meeting we knew we were in great hands. Gary was super responsive and on top of everything. He offered great advice to our questions and helped us adjust our wedding timeline for our specific requests. One of our biggest worries was having people dancing all night and from the minute we met James, all of that fear went away. He understood our vibe completely and worked with us to create the perfect playlist from ceremony, cocktail hour, and all through the reception. The dance floor was filled ALL. NIGHT. We got so many compliments about how great James was! His ability to read the room and match the music to keep everyone dancing all night was incredible and super impressive. He was also so cool - sounds like a silly thing to be worried about when booking a vendor but it was such a pleasure working with him. He made it so easy those last few weeks when we were stressed about all the other last minute details. He really understood us and what we were looking for and threw the most epic dance party imaginable. We couldn't be happier!! You guys are seriously the best!!!!

Profile Picture Cara, 3/24/18, 2 Reviews
Category: DJ

We used 74 Events for our wedding and our experience couldn't have been better! Gary was responsive and provided great insight on planning the music to have a great night. Our DJ was James Arnold and he was amazing! He listened to all our song requests and kept the dance floor packed all night. James was also an incredible MC for the evening. 74 Events is highly professional and I cannot recommend them highly enough.

Profile Picture Anthony, 3/9/18, 1 Review
Category: DJ

Gary & James @ 74 Events were so great to work with. They offered the perfect blend of providing support & recommendations while still letting us personalize to our taste. The end result was a spectacular dance party that had EVERYONE on the dance floor. I would highly recommend them to anyone who is looking for an awesome dance party wedding.

Profile Picture leanne, 2/24/18, 2 Reviews
Services Used: Do-Not-Play List, Liability Insurance, MC

We were SO impressed with Gary and our DJ, James Mulry. We went into the DJ search with little knowledge of what to expect. Frankly, we felt that the DJ could make or break our wedding. The second we met with Gary Hoffman, we knew we were in good hands. We discussed our musical tastes with him, what we were looking for in a DJ, what we expected out of the night and the type of people who would be attending our wedding. That's when the magic happened...Gary paired us up with James Mulry (who had also been recommended by other vendors). We set up a second interview to meet James in person and right away my husband and I knew he was the right DJ for us- he was laid back but you could totally tell that he knew how to keep a party going - cool, calm and collected - and wow did he deliver!!! the dance floor at our wedding was always filled - I never felt a lag in excitement (something I've experienced at friend's weddings). We seriously could have kept dancing way into the early morning. James also made sure to come over to my husband and I throughout the night to let us know what was going to happen next, and just seamlessly fit into our wedding, making us feel comfortable and taken care of

The whole process was so easy. Gary is very involved, detail-oriented, prompt with emails, describes what to expect, and is super transparent about the whole night. We felt at ease during every meeting and interaction because we knew we were working with the best of the best!

I feel like I could write a novel on how much we absolutely adored James and working with Gary - but I'll leave you with this - Do not hesitate to book 74 Events - we personally feel that no one could be better than James, but we feel confident that if Gary suggests someone else it's because he truly understands what you're looking for and will pair you up accordingly. We're ready for another dance party!!! Love, Katie & Eric

Profile Picture Katie, 2/24/18, 2 Reviews
Services Used: Do-Not-Play List, Liability Insurance, MC, Microphones

DJ BEN CARLIN: Hiring 74 Events was without a doubt one of the best decisions we made for our wedding. Gary and Ben are consummate professionals in every way. They were incredible to plan with before the wedding, and Ben communicated with us during the wedding to make sure everything was going smoothly. Ben has a real talent for reading the energy in a room and had everyone dancing the entire night!! Everyone had such a good time that when he announced the last song, the whole wedding booed because they wanted him to keep the party going. Ben got our vibe immediately, and we would hire him again in an instant. Our wedding would not have been the same without him. Definitely go with Ben! You will not regret it.

Profile Picture Rhiannon, 2/24/18, 5 Reviews
Category: DJ

DJ Kahn MADE our wedding. He was the best. Everyone has continued to compliment the music. 74 events was one of the best vendors we had. Gary was prompt with all our email communication, if I had any questions or concerns he answered them immediately. We would recommend 74 events, and specifically choosing DJ Kahn (Con) as your DJ! Do not hesitate!

Profile Picture Andrea, 2/23/18, 2 Reviews
Category: DJ

Like everyone else, I cannot say enough good things about Gary, and our DJ James Arnold!! Gary is lightning fast with email response and gives SO. MUCH. DETAIL. He is very involved throughout the whole booking process, and provides clear timelines, milestone dates, and an overall scope of work up front. I knew nothing about weddings previously, so his experience and knowledge was also really helpful to lean on. And our DJ James. Oh my god, James. He immediately got our vibe and what type of music we wanted played during the cocktail hour and reception, and every song he played was perfect. My only wedding "regret" is that I could not tear myself away from the dance floor and ended up not talking to any of my family--whoops! The entire night I had guests coming up to me commenting on how great the music was, and where did I find this DJ with the perfect English accent? Everyone had a blast dancing the entire night. He also accommodated all our weird music requests, non-traditional first dance, and transitioned the speeches and cake cutting like a boss. He was on time, brought his own equipment, was familiar with the space and set up, and even helped our officiant with the microphone. HIRE THEM.

Profile Picture Lisa, 2/3/18, 10 Reviews
Category: DJ

Rob Kelley was our DJ through 74 Events. I wish we had more reasons in the future to use them, because Rob was so great to work with and through the way he guided the night with the music kept the energy high and everyone having fun. When we first met with Rob we could tell he was professional but chill and we knew he would run the event in a way that we wanted. He didn't try to make himself the spotlight but was also excited and great when he needed to make announcements or lead people to the next part of the evening. The best part during the dance sets, was seeing how well he could read the crowd and adjust the next song based on how people were reacting and enjoying music - which made a full night of constant dancing and high energy. The one thing we wanted during the dance sets was to prevent people from feeling a lull in the music and Rob was fantastic at that. Everyone left the wedding very impressed by how well Rob led the night and loved that we had great music.

Regarding music for the rest of the evening, Rob was able to give good feedback to us when developing our music genres for everything. He could steer us away from certain songs if they were not going to add to the night the way we wanted. He also gave suggestions if he thought a song fit better in a different part of the night. He was able to accommodate the styles of music we requested and folded them into the set list well.

Working with 74 Events (Gary) was overall a great and seamless experience for us. Gary was very professional, timely and accommodating. We will suggest this company to anyone in need of a DJ.

Profile Picture Brian, 1/20/18, 2 Reviews
Services Used: Microphones, Sound/PA System, Do-Not-Play List, MC

Gary and DJ James Arnold were genuinely some of our favorite vendors to work with. I met them at a Wedding Crashers event and never looked back!

Gary is a total professional and joy to work with. He was on top of everything from start to finish and made sure we were set up for an amazing night. James has a great vibe, very cool without being TOO cool, approachable and friendly. He was super easy to work with through all our planning and executed the day of perfectly!

James did our full day- welcome drinks, ceremony, cocktail hour, reception, dancing. We were pretty specific about what we wanted for the first half of the night but then just gave a few suggestions for the rest of the night and let him do his thing. He kept the energy up in the room right up until the very last minute so everyone left on a high note! It was really perfect and many of our guests commented on how great he was (something people always say about wedding vendors but it's true!).

I would recommed them to anyone!

Profile Picture Claire, 1/20/18, 5 Reviews
Services Used: Microphones, Sound/PA System, Do-Not-Play List, MC

We had Ben Carlin from 74 Events as the DJ for our reception. Ben did a spectacular job. Both during and after the party I had several guests approach me to comment on how great our DJ was. Ben did a fantastic job of incorporating our music preferences throughout our cocktail hour and dinner, and put on a fantastic set when the dancing started. When we first met with Ben he described himself not as a wedding DJ but rather as a New York DJ who does weddings. This was definitely apparent once the dance set started. One comment I heard from multiple people was how well Ben “read the crowd” to keep people dancing.

We worked with Gary Hoffman from 74 Events throughout the booking process. Gary was terrific about answering questions and very prompt about sending info such as meeting time proposals, etc. We met with Gary and Ben twice prior to our party -- once when first booking them and again a couple weeks in advance of our event. Both Gary and Ben were very organized and made the planning process as seamless as possible.

Profile Picture Jeff, 1/20/18, 1 Review
Category: DJ

We hired 74 Events and DJ Kahn and it was the best decision ever. Gary from 74 events is very organized/responsive and helped plan our meeting/music/layout of DJ and speakers very nicely. DJ Kahn played the music the music that was requested and did an incredible job keeping everyone on the dance floor the entire night. Having people dance the entire night was our request and it was fulfilled without any issues! DJ Kahn did a great job of mixing some polish songs into the dances since this was a Polish/American wedding. Could not of asked for a better DJ/Vendor. They were very professional and made the party!! Will definitely hire Gary and DJ Kahn for future events. They were timely and very professional. Great job guys!!!!!

Profile Picture Peter, 11/18/17, 2 Reviews