31 North Banquets & Catering Reviews

45 | McHenry, IL

45 Reviews for 31 North Banquets & Catering

Katie · Married on 10/05/2012

My groom and I used 31 North for our wedding reception (dinner and dancing). We had 180-some-odd guests, which was a feat I did not think possible because weddings in general are so expensive. BUT because 31 North was very accommodating we were able to have our dream wedding after all. :)
    The wedding planners at 31 North helped me create a package of food, alcohol and decorations that gave me a great party while also minding my budget. This allowed my groom and I to invite all of the family and friends we wanted to share in our special day!

Sent on 01/04/2013

Jessica · Married on 09/29/2012

Ed, Bernice, and Brittany were wonderful in helping us plan our wedding. There was not a single detail that was not overlooked. The food was wonderful, and everything was cooked perfectly. The room was arranged perfectly even though I did not give much direction of what I wanted! The whole event ran smoothly. When our priest forgot our unity candles during the ceremony, they incorporated them right after we cut our cake! No one could tell. Ed and Brittany were very accommodating, they refilled drinks for the guests, provided boxes for guests who wanted to take stuff home, and made sure everything was perfect!! Not one single guest had a complaint, and everyone said that this was the best wedding reception they have ever been to!!

Sent on 10/01/2012

Jennifer · Married on 09/08/2012

From the moment I walked in to 31 North I knew there was something special about it. It has a modern, chic style that is just lovely. The best part about the actual building.....there is only one room for one wedding at a time! Talk about personalized service! Who wouldn't want to have their wedding somewhere where the focus was only on your wedding and not 6-10 others as well? You're only a bride once, why not be treated that way! Bernice, the owner, was nothing but sweet and helpful throughout the whole process. She was there willing to help with anything I needed, from photographers & flowers to helping with seating and what would work best. Brittany, the coordinator assigned to my wedding was also there for anything I needed. It was like having 2 wedding planners. I never expected to get that at a reception hall. The venue has the main room for the guests with the bar being built in a way that the bartender and guests can actually hear each other over the music! There is a separate room you can have set up as you choose, for tables for children if they get tired, for guests who don't like music to go and talk, or as we used it for a photographer to set up his backdrop for guest photos (you could even put a photobooth in there!). The food was AMAZING! I knew this from our tasting but it was reinforced after the wedding. We have only been married 3 weeks today, but I can't tell you how many people commented on how wonderful the food was. (And my husband and I both have some people who are quite picky in that area, us being included!) I would highly recommend 31 North for your wedding or any other event for that matter. If you are looking for a typical, get as much money as we can in one night and unpersonalized venue then go elsewhere. However, if you want a wedding day that feels like your special day and only your special day, with all focus on your wedding and guests then make sure you go to 31 North! You won't be disappointed!!

Sent on 10/01/2012

Tina · Married on 09/02/2012

I was very impressed with 31 North. They were eagar to help me plan my wedding and met my every needs. The day of the wedding the place was beautiful. We had an indoor wedding at 31 North which turned out perfect and the reception was beautiful. Everything turned out perfect for the day of my wedding.

Sent on 03/11/2013

John B. · Married on 07/21/2012

Bernice, Ed & all the staff at 31 North Banquet And Conference Center were FANTASTIC! They brought all the stuff together & took my worries away. Bernice was super flexible and more than willing to work with us on our budget & menu. It was such a wonderful wedding & both me and my wife were glad to have come across their mail flyer. From day one we knew this was the place. When no other places called us back after we requested we were just disappointed. But not with Bernice & 31 North. They wanted our business & our event. The Food were fantastic! The service was fantastic! The entire place was fantastic. TWO THUMBS UP!

Sent on 10/16/2012

Larry · Married on 07/07/2012

Bernice assures you of a wonderful reception experience! With her partner, Ed - every detail is attended to. The room was gorgeous, the lighting superb, the staff were so friendly throughout the entire 6 hours, the food was over the top; beginning with the hot and cold hors'deurves and a full plated dinner. You cannot go wrong at 31 North Banquets. We had 111 guests and a full dance floor and the size was just perfect! She has established McHenry's finest banquet facility by far!

Sent on 07/10/2012

Mike · Married on 05/12/2012

What else can I say. Planning a wedding is challenging in many ways but the folks at 31 North were outstanding. From our first meeting till the wedding reception was over the staff at 31 North took care of everything. We chose a menu for our dinner, requested the decorations for the room, were to set up the dance floor, gift table and DJ and when we arrived everything was perfect. We even asked if they would put heart shaped beets on everyone's salad and they said no problem. My wife and I had a private room and when we arrived they brought in appetizers and drinks and made sure we had everything we needed. The guest all thought the room looked great, the appetizers and dinner tasted wonderful and the presentation of the food was impressive. The staff was friendly, professional and attentive to everyone's needs. Our cake was part of the package and was made buy Lovin Oven and wow it was good. The staff cut the cake wrapped the top layer for us cleaned our cake serving utensils and Champaign glasses and packed them up for us to take home. I highly recommend 31 North for any event you would have and would give them 6 stars if I could.

Sent on 12/22/2012

Steve · Married on 04/21/2018

Excellent Food, Service was Outstanding, very warm and inviting for guests, Very well priced as well.

Sent on 03/10/2017
  • User5200582 · 2+ years ago

31 North made my job as a bride so easy! They were an amazing place to host our reception. All the food was amazing and hot when served. They were extremely attentive all the way up until the wedding. Because you work with an event planner all the way up to the wedding they coordinate with the other vendors and make your wedding day a day that you really can enjoy! The reception pretty much went off without a hitch. The only issue was the gluten-free meals were delivered to the wrong table the day of, but that was easily sorted out.

Sent on 09/19/2015

Brittany · Married on 09/20/2013

Great place to have a wedding reception! All of the staff are very friendly, attentive, flexible, and professional. My day was perfect and the planners at 31 north had a big part in that! I would for sure recommend 31 north!

Sent on 10/23/2013

Rosie · Married on 08/03/2013

As soon as we walked into 31 North, we knew we found the perfect place for our wedding reception. The owner, Bernice, was very welcoming. We quickly fell in love with the cozy modern look of the place and Bernice. She provided us with several options to stay within our budget. She was willing to stay after regular work hours so we could show the hall to our parents. Throughout the planning period, Bernice, Brandie, and Kathleen were very helpful. They were all very prompt in answering our questions and providing us with great suggestions. Whenever we stopped by to make payments or simply take a look at the place, we were always well received. Our favorite planning process was the food tasting event. We were allowed to bring my parents and brother. It definitely was tough making menu decisions as everything tasted so delicious. 31 North has a partnership with Lovin Oven. Our cake was included in the plan, and we are so glad Lovin Oven baked our cake. They are now our favorite bakery. The staff is very flexible and accommodating. We were allowed to come in before our dinner rehearsal to practice our choreographed first dances. At that time, the room was somewhat set up,so we were able to make last minute changes to the set up. Kathleen was our coordinator on the day of our wedding. She made sure everything ran smoothly. She helped my bridesmaids bustle my dress and continuously checked with us if anything was needed. Many of our guests commented on the quick and great service provided by all staff members. They loved the warm atmosphere Some guests were even interested in planning their next family event there. We are so happy that we made the right decision on selecting 31 North Banquet as our wedding venue.

Sent on 09/15/2013

Jillian · Married on 11/10/2012

Everyone in staff did so well. They went above and beyond for me and my husband. At the end we had a handful of guests that could not attend the reception. When we told them they were absolutely willin to work with us. They certainly did give us our dre wedding reception. Highly recommended.

Sent on 12/17/2012

The people are wonderful, I heard nothing but good comments on the food, there was wonderful pampering in the bridal party room that we hardly had time to enjoy but looked fabulous (champagne and cheese and glorious chocolate covered strawberries). It was great only having the one event in the building - much more personal. The only problem we encountered was feeling a bit rushed with dinner service, possibly because we had a smaller party than the usual and their team was ready for the next step of the program before the guests were? Overall it was a wonderful night and I would definitely recommend 31 North!

Sent on 11/21/2013

Jessica · Married on 09/07/2013

This place was amazing! Especially on the day, everything was taken care of and during the event I didn't have to worry about a single thing. Everything I asked for, it was taken care of immediately. The food was so good, we had the chicken dinner and it was tender and delicious.

Sent on 11/04/2013

Kristen · Married on 06/16/2018

Staff, food and service are incredible. Only complaint is 1 day before my wedding, Bernice called to inform me I was missing information regarding seating arrangements. I wish I would have been contacted sooner as it is very stressful the day before the wedding especially with the rehearsal dinner and ceremony set up. Also, during the wedding, one of the waiters asked me about when to serve the cake- you should never talk to the bride. Especially because we had already discussed the timeline weeks prior and it was in writing-there should not have been a question.

Sent on 07/30/2018

At 31 North we were helped by event coordinator Brandie. Brandie was fantastic, as an event coordinator she was extremely helpful and accommodating and made me and my wife feel extremely comfortable and well taken care of. Unfortunately, the management above Brandie could, at times, be abrasive and inconsiderate. Of course, we must give leeway to the harsher side of business transactions, because it is a business, and recognize that the abrasive and sometimes inconsiderate upper management had the good sense and forethought to hire someone like Brandie to handle the mundane day to day sales and customer service responsibilities that accompany assisting a young couple in love. Because Brandie was awesome, a true professional making the "impossible" things come true (these things were only labeled as "impossible" by the aforementioned upper management), so despite the upper management and our lightly assailed egos, we were made very happy. Aside from Brandie, the facility itself was at first unassuming, but proved to be gorgeous and everything we could hope for when our big day arrived. As a couple we received from our guests many undue compliments about the food, which of course, we did not cook. The compliments were due to the staff of 31 North and ultimately to the upper management for arranging for such high quality foods and skilled cooks. All in all, a great experience.

Sent on 08/05/2013

Lexie · Married on 06/27/2015

4.2
      3.0

We celebrated our wedding ceremony and reception at 31 North in May 2015. My husband and I live out of state, so they offered for our extended family members in the area to come by for a food tasting, which helped us decide on our menu. Also, our final head count came in under the guaranteed number, so 31 North allowed us to choose an upgrade for free, which was a nice gesture.

One thing that could have been better was the communication. They were good about answering emails and returning phone calls; however, the information was not always passed along. For example, my husband and I both have severe food allergies, and though we had decided on the dinner options, the appetizers were to be chosen by the chef based on season and availability. Therefore, I notified 31 North of our allergies. The next four times I spoke with them, no allergies had been recorded, and we were assured each time that they would put it in our file. On the wedding day, not only was there a vegetarian first course containing foods to which my husband is allergic, but the waiter apologized to me in the bridal suite for serving strawberries (I am only allergic to eggplant, so it seems the wrong foods had been written down). No one had an allergic reaction, and the rest of the day was lovely. It concerns me that I had to relay important health condition information several times.

Perhaps one of the problems was that I spoke to someone different each time I called. Our day-of wedding coordinator was a woman we had neither met nor heard from in the months leading up to the wedding, which seemed a bit impersonal and risky. In all, the wedding was very nice; the ceremony and reception setup looked great, the wait staff was competent, and the food was good. If I booked another event with 31 North, I would make sure to try to speak with the same person every time and send follow-up emails for confirmation and reassurance.

Sent on 06/21/2015

3.5
      3.5

I was supposed to meet with a woman and when we got there(after they double booked our time with another couple) we met with a young man who hardly knew anything. The chair covers were ripped, I wasn't thrilled or at least impressed with this venue.

Sent on 09/21/2015

3.2
      3.0

The food was great and the planning leading up to the wedding was excellent; but the event coordinator that we were working with the entire time was on vacation the day of our wedding and the event coordinator that we had on the day of our wedding was not the greatest. Our tables were all messed up which left our guests confused and when I specifially asked for a certain food because of dietary restrictions it was never provided. Also, when we went to cut our cake plates and forked were not provided and when we looked back te coordinator was just standing against the wall not helping us. Like I said the landing leading up to the wedding was great but on the actual wedding day it didn't run smoothly and I was never contacted afterwards to see how everything went.

Sent on 11/17/2014

Vicki · Married on 02/11/2017

1.4
      2.0
      2.0
      1.0

I had planned my sons wedding reception for 8 months with them. During the planning process they were wonderful. 9 days prior to the event the owner Bernice called to chastise me as to where my final payment was. She indicated that her staff had been trying to call me and I wasn't responding to messages. Which was completely untrue as I had received one
    Email from Bridgette and I responded promptly making arrangements when I would be in. Now mind you I had been in frequently brining our decorations in and chatting with the girls there. The message I received from the owner was so rude and unprofessional I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I called the owner who then started to apologize, saying she had had a bad morning and she should had not left that message and so on. The cafe is very stressful she said. So I moved past that. However, let's talk about the day of event.
    We had been told we my daughter in law could use the bridal room to get ready. We said we would be there at 3:00. We didn't come until 3:30. They were still partially set up as the cafe. The chairs had not been covered or sashed tables had not been set up. It was crazy. So much so that I set up the entire head table decor, the sign in
    table and ended up working some on the guest table decor. I did this until 5:00. Which I then had to dress. For the amount of money I paid for this it was supposed to all be done by them.
    My son and daughter in laws name was supposed to be on the marquee never done. Dinner was supposed to be served at 7:00. Well the soup and salad was. But the actual main course was not served until 8:20. Ridiculous. Their staff did not clean away salad plates or soup dishes. The tables were full of unclean dishes. The cake was not brought out until after
    9:00 and then it was not served it was just set out on trays. Sashes on chairs can't undone when guests sat down. One small room was not set up for cocktail hour or for the little ones as promised.

Sent on 02/23/2017