21st Century Sounds Reviews

58 | Alamo, CA

58 Reviews for 21st Century Sounds

Suzie · Married on 05/03/2008

Brian is great to work with and Jeromy did a great job DJ-ing our wedding. He made it a lot of fun and was able to experiment with our semi-custom music.

Sent on 06/18/2008

Lori · Married on 06/20/2014

21st Century Sounds did a great job at our wedding. i was very specific about what music i wanted played at what times (for the ceremony, the cocktail hour, and the reception), and i made playlists that accounted for most of the time of the whole event.

Arren, the DJ who worked our event, was super fun, totally willing to do everything i wanted, and he was kind when my mom kept coming up to him asking him to turn the music down! i gave him the list of must plays and high priorities and then gave him license to fill in the rest… he gave us a great mix of music that included all my must plays, accommodated guest requests, and still stayed clear of the songs i DIDN'T want played (because i'd heard them at every other wedding i've been to).

before the event itself, i worked with Brian, the owner of the company. he was cool and certainly accommodated all my specific needs in terms of the music… the only reason i didn't give him 5 stars overall is because he said he'd follow up with me several weeks before the wedding to talk more about playlists, and he ended up not getting in touch until a few days before the wedding. i could have gotten in touch with him to be sure, but as the wedding got closer i got more and more swamped, so i kept not getting to it in hopes that he'd call me. when he finally did get in touch and we worked out the playlists, it turned out he didn't have many of the songs i wanted to play, so i had to get them to him on relatively short notice. no big deal, but he wasn't so tech savvy, so it took longer to get him what he needed than it would have if he was more current with his technology (like google drive or dropbox or something like that).

these are small issues really… Brian and Arren were both a pleasure to work with, and i had exactly the music at my wedding that i wanted. i would definitely recommend these guys. :)

Sent on 07/15/2014

Tammy · Married on 07/06/2008

4.2

Brian was fun to work with. Friendly and professional. He knew how to deal with different situations and played the right kind of music and the right times. We didn't want the music to end!! We definitely recommend his services.

Sent on 07/31/2008
  • Theresa

Theresa · Married on 09/16/2017

2.0

Overall, we really enjoyed our DJ, Jonathan. He did a great job of keeping the dance floor going, announcing events through the night, and making sure that we were happy. The only item we were frustrated by was that we had a list of song requests generated by our guests (from the RSVP cards) and very few of the songs were played. Although guests would not have known this, we did, so it was disappointing that our request was not followed. As already indicated, the dance floor was packed the whole time so I cannot say that the song selection was poor - we just really wanted to use the song requests generated by our guests. Ceremony music was perfect, and same with cocktail hour. Thank you for being a part of our special day and making it memorable!

Sent on 10/12/2017

Em · Married on 08/19/2016

3.4
      3.0

Joey and Brian were friendly, accomodating, and fairly flexible. They came up with an excellent day of timeline. My only complaints were that they were unprepared for unexpected changes the day of the wedding. Our DJ panicked when our photos were finished early and didn't know how to alter the schedule. Throughout the planning process I was sometimes talked over, which I could've done without. Overall, the day went fairly well.

Sent on 06/26/2017

Kimberly · Married on 09/02/2017

3.2
      3.5

We really liked Arren, the DJ for our wedding, his personality and energy was great. However, the process Brian uses seems to be rather flawed. We spent a good amount of time talking with Brian, explaining the schedule, preferences, planning, etc. and then he relayed the information to Arren who would DJ on the day. Though we did talk to Arren a few times, Brian insisted this was how he liked to handle events and I regret going along with it, instead of insisting on talking directly with Arren throughout the process. On the day it was apparent that the communication between Arren and Brian had not been very effective i.e. a bridesmaid had to correct Arren when he was going to introduce us by the wrong name (something we had emphasized several times with Brian in writing and verbally), and one of our 'activities' was completely missed because Arren didn't understand the plan we had discussed at length with Brian. If I could do it over again I would still choose 21st Century Sounds, but throughout the entire process I would insist on talking directly to the DJ who would be there on the day.

Sent on 01/23/2018

21st Century Sounds's reply:

Kimberly, I'm happy you were pleased with Arren's DJ & MC talents and your thoughts on communications are appreciated since we never stop learning on how to improve our processes.

Brian Fitzsimmons - Owner

Robert · Married on 05/18/2018

2.2
      2.0
      1.5

We felt that he had missed the mark on a few things. My mother/son dance was botched after he couldn’t find the actual song and played the short version of 45 seconds 3 times then chose a different song to play that was not chosen. At which point my new wife helped him find the actual song for him to play. 5 songs for a mother son dance was unacceptable. He then proceeded to ask the crowd for requests which we had specifically ask not to happen. The rest of his work was done well but it had changed my mood substantially for his level of professionalism.

Sent on 06/04/2018

Nicolette · Married on 04/26/2014

0.4
      0.5

Everything was great until our big day...

Brian was great to work with. Happily met with us as many time as we wanted to go the time line and change songs. He was professional, suggested songs, even went as far as to come to our house when we were too busy to meet him at his office.
    But on our big day that all went out the window, he didn't coordinate with out wedding coordinator's time line for queuing on songs, when people should walk in, make sure everyone was in place before certain events happened etc. He kind of just did his own thing. There was a big gap there.
    My wedding coordinator actually came over to me when we were about to throw the bouquet, and said "he's started the song and hasn't checked in with me yet, both your photographer & videographer are not ready yet" So the song had to be replayed. I stood there looking like a fool while everyone else looked around like what's going on. It was very unorganized.
    I personally believe someone who was seasoned enough would know better to always work with the coordinator to make sure timing is right. Especially since the coordinator has hosted many weddings at this venue and has it down.
    Secondly his system crashed. As in MUSIC STOPPED for 10-20 minutes. Guests funneled outside and stood around.
    Lastly, choice of music was crap. My husband had to ask him twice to change a song. One being the very FIRST song he played after the welcome toast.

Would I recommend him? No. Not to anyone.
    It's my own fault though, I should had gone with a DJ our venue recommend.

Sent on 05/16/2014

21st Century Sounds's reply:

Nicolette, 15 years in business and this is my 1st negative review and I can't apologize enough for causing you & Steve the frustration you've shared in your post. Sorry for not responding sooner but just saw your review. Don't want to counter each point but have to share my thoughts. Upon arrival 1st task was setup & testing the ability to make your outside speaker wireless for the festivities later in the evening; cake, bouquet, garter & cigar/bourbon bar. Wireless wasn't working due to the depth of the barrel room walls & option of connecting speaker via cabling from inside system wasn't possible due to the tight seal of the double doors. With the cool & windy evening, was told they'd be closing those doors when possible so running a cable just wasn't an option. Our other option was to use our 2nd, or backup system. I tell you this because otherwise we could have solved the equipment problem much quicker since we always have "back-up". In 15 years your wedding is still the only instance of equipment failing us. As for 1st song after toast, which my memory tells me was Dean Martin's "That's Amore" I was surprised when Steve told me to change it since "Ain't That A Kick In The Head" was your 1st Dance. As for the 2nd time we were told to change a song, it was during dancing when we had a full dance floor and it surprised me again since I was not given any "Don't Plays". On your finalized timeline which we all worked very hard, it even stated "DJ to play favorites that will be enjoyed by all!"
    I certainly did start your music for bouquet toss sooner than you wanted, but with 4 or 5 staff on your photo & video team and already been told where they wanted to position the toss I assumed they were ready. My mistake.
    My hope is that the beautiful moments of your wedding day will be remembered, since there were many, much longer than the issues mentioned in your review, for which I apologize with all my heart.