20th Century Center Reviews

13 | Wichita, KS

13 Reviews for 20th Century Center

Cindy · Married on 10/04/2014

Our daughter had her wedding reception in the banquet hall. Everything was beautiful and the staff went out of their way to make everything run smoothly. Be sure to talk with Stephanie. She knows all about making an event successful. Mariah was our 'assistant' and she was well worth the extra charge. She took care of things behind the scenes so we could simply enjoy the celebration. The bartender was excellent.
    When I first called this venue I was about in tears at how much the wedding was going to cost. Most venues require that you use their caterer and they charge more than I could afford. Not only did the 20th Century Center not have a required caterer, Greg told me about Two Brothers BBQ. They were reasonable and delicious. I wouldn't have even known about them as caterers if it hadn't been for Greg at 20th Century.
    My daughter's maid of honor rented the Victorian Parlor for the wedding shower and it was also a lovely event.

Sent on 10/10/2014

Randy · Married on 02/22/2014

The venue, it's location, staff, owners, appearance and all of the buildings finish was tremendous. My wife and I paid for this part of our son's wedding and could not be happier with the way it worked out. From start to finish, the owners worked with us and made it an almost perfect evening. Almost only because we had to end it sometime and we just didn't want to!
    I have to tell you that we read some of the previous reviews and they were heavily mixed with great comments from most but a couple of not so great so you can't help but wonder. Whoever the negative reviewers were - I can't help but think there were some personal issues rather than the property issues as indicated. The interior was beautiful and well kept, there was plenty of parking. The owners were onsite and available with help when requested. The bartender was a great guy that responded to every request willingly and professionally. I could go on and on but if you are reading this, you've gotten the intent which was to say that this is a great place to have your reception, party, wedding, or whatever it may be!

Sent on 06/16/2014

Christine · Married on 06/11/2011

We recently got married and had our reception at the 20th Century Center in downtown Wichita and we have only wonderful memories to reflect back on. The building is amazing! We looked and looked for a venue with old-fashioned glamour and this had it in spades. The Chapel is simply beautiful and the Grand Banquet Hall looked stunning with our chair covers and centerpieces. The venue is VERY affordable and allows for open catering. Let me suggest Blue Moon catering for your catering needs. They were outstanding! The staff was very accommodating, thanks to Steffanie and Amy for their attention to detail. This is a building that has to be seen to be believed!

Sent on 06/21/2011

20th Century Center's reply:

We are always happy when we have a satisfied client. Thank you for using our facility and best of luck in the future.

Betty · Married on 06/07/2011

My husband and I were married here in June of this year and wanted to take time to say what a great time we had at our wedding and reception. I was initially worried due to some of the reviews, but we didn't have any problems with the setup of our event or the staff, who was wonderful and accommodating to us in every possible way. We were given the choice of linen colors and chose cream and it looked lovely with the our table arrangements. The building is big and beautiful and has an old world charm that you just can't find anymore. Don't let a bad review deter you from checking out this wonderful venue. I thought the price was very affordable as well considering the amount of time we received and most of our guests were impressed.

Sent on 09/06/2011

20th Century Center's reply:

Thank you for the kind comments and we are glad your event ended well.

Sara · Married on 06/26/2015

Staff was very helpful. Great historical venue, all linens were provided. We had security, catering, and flowers were beautiful. I would recommend this venue.

Sent on 08/20/2015

Angela · Married on 10/23/2010

We had our wedding and reception at this historical site and we are so glad we did! First of all, it is on the historical register and was a women's club for over 80 years, the wonderful ambience and decor impressed our wedding guests and made our event truly memorable. Courtney and Steffanie helped to make sure everything went right. I must make mention of the truly magnificent Murdock Chapel, it was intimate and majestic at the same time. This is a wonderful venue to have a wedding reception in.

Sent on 11/07/2010

20th Century Center's reply:

We are glad you were satisfied with your event. We do many different types of events here at the 20th Century Center and are especially pleased when people take the time to write comments good and bad. The good keeps our on the right track and the bad steers us back onto the track.

Sonya · Married on 10/10/2015

3.8
      1.5

Sylvia helped the women I had serving food at our wedding and she was great. She was very helpful and pleasant to work with. It was a beautiful place, got some great pictures at this venue and was nice for my guests to have both the ceremony and reception in one place.

Sent on 11/27/2015

Mary-Kate · Married on 10/16/2010

3.8
      3.0

I was going for a vintage theme, so this was perfect. We originally started working with Annie, WHO WAS AN ABSOLUTE DOLL, and she was really helpful. When Annie went off to college, no one told us, and when we called for our next appointment, NO ONE knew anything about our wedding, or anything we planned. We had to start over from the beginning. It was very stressful. The day of the wedding, the reception room looked great, but things were done that we specifically asked NOT to be done. Things that were supposed to be done, weren't done. It was a nightmare. Luckily I didn't have to deal with it. Then while we were finishing up the party, another wedding was about to start (I'm not sure why this was planned so horribly), and we were asked to be quiet while the bride came down the stairs! EXCUSE ME, this is my wedding too! I really don't know if I'll rent the place again, but I'll occasionally go down for a foreign film.

Sent on 10/21/2010

20th Century Center's reply:

We do over 120 weddings a year and it disappoints us when we have a negative review. We try very hard to provide good service and as owners we attend almost every event ourselves. Even though it was a high stress event for them we provided many personalized services before and during their event such as allowing them to bringing items in a day early, alcohol storage and extra decorating time. When the father of the bride came by the day after to pick up the remaining wedding items he expressed his satisfaction with the event to our staff. We returned their security deposit in full and wished them the best.

Sarah · Married on 06/23/2011

3.6
      3.0

the day of my wedding everything was flawless but leading up to it was a headache.its beautiful and very easy to decorate our reception was still wonderful
    We did have some problems leading up to the reception but they now are under new management.
    The manager went so far as to contact me to let me know she has taken over and things will be run a lot better. Knowing they are under new management I would recommend that others consider this venue for their wedding/reception.

Sent on 07/29/2011

20th Century Center's reply:

We apologized to our client regarding the delayed table setup as one of our staff was unable to come to work as scheduled. I personally set up the tables and did so in 20 minutes and we offered additional decorating time as compensation. We are glad to hear the event ended well.

Laura · Married on 05/28/2011

1.0

The building is absolutely beautiful! There were just a few issues with the customer service. The lady that we met with when we booked the place was very professional, but the next time we tried to get a hold of someone we found out that she was no longer there. Everyone else we met was rather unprofessional and unorganized. We had issues with their providing our tablecloths and our information seemed to be lost from person to person. However, they were very nice to give us a generous discount and the building was amazing. They were helpful on the day of my wedding and flexible in allowing us to bring our own food in. The end result was beautiful.

Sent on 06/15/2011

20th Century Center's reply:

We are glad that you took time to write a review. Our Victorian Parlor seats 100 people are tables and 150 people auditorium style. Unfortunately our client confused the two and thought that 150 people could seat at tables and then was disappointed when it was impossible to provide that. We apologize for any miscommunication in this regard. Our staff takes pride in how they look and we apologize if our client didn't feel that met their expectations in this regard. Our credit card machine was out of order the day their were there and was fixed the following day and again we apologize for not having it operational when they were there. On the day of the actual event everything from our point of view ran smoothly and the clients seemed to be satisfied with their experience.
  • User5194627 · 2+ years ago

0.5

In our opinion for a wedding this place we dirty (bathrooms had dead bugs on the floor, none of the carpeting was vacuumed so there was grass and other stuff on it . . .). We would expect that before a wedding that they would vacuum and do some cleaning, touch up the bathrooms (clean and check for TP) and etc, but, NO! they clean up after the event and then consider it "clean" until the next event comes along which may be a month or more . . . They didn't turn on the air conditioning until the just before the wedding began and so the venue was rather warm starting out. We found insufficient - to almost no help in getting any of the equipment (such as where tables and chairs, electrical controls, etc). And so there were a few pieces of equipment we would have like to have used for the wedding but we never did because

Sent on 06/21/2015

Kari · Married on 05/16/2009

1.5
      3.5
      1.0

The only good thing about the 20th Century Center is the pretty. It's a charming, historic building set in downtown Wichita. The staff was a mess every time I went in there. I paid nearly $4,000 to rent the venue and not only did they shut down my reception early (WTF?! I paid!!), they were rude and inconsiderate and I had to set up all the tables myself even after I was told it would all be done.

I would never recommend this venue to anyone.

Sent on 03/30/2010

20th Century Center's reply:

First of all, we never have charged $4,000.00 for the use of our faciility. Our rates are about half of that. Also we provide complete setup for all our events, tables and chairs and we provide table linens at no charge. We have never ended an event before it's time it up, indeed most of our events have run overtime and we have rarely charged any additional fees. We are not familiar with Kari's complaints, since she never called us personally to complain or ask for any kind of compensation. We did refund her security deposit in full. (We are disappointed when people go to the trouble of posting a negative review but don't take the time to talk to us in person or on the phone.)

Jennie · Married on 05/25/2013

0.5
      0.0

I called to ask to see the Banquet Hall set up for a bigger party, and Greg (the owner) made me feel small and talked to me like I was stupid. He said “we do parties that big a lot, and we are able to hold 250.” I had to call 3 more times and finally just show up. Turns out, the Banquet Hall can fit 200 if there are tables on the dance floor, but this was going to be a reception focused on dancing.
    We were under the impression that since we were purchasing their bartending services, our own cups, our own alcohol, and our own soda, that ice would be provided for the entire event. My mother-in-law was told that 20th Century spent $20 for ice, stating this was an adequate amount and they would not be purchasing any more. We weren’t mad at the fact that we had to buy ice, more than when we asked about it, they said it would be taken care of.
    The best part of the evening, my new husband and I walk down the stairs to see a giant industrial fan above the doorway. The AC had stopped working, and this is how they were fixing it. Many of our older guests left immediately following dinner, complaining of the heat.
    After the dance started more began to leave, and I spent most of my night outside cooling down. In our wedding pictures I am drenched in sweat, not because I was dancing all night. We were later told by a 20th Century employee that the AC hadn’t worked properly for 20 years. When we asked Stefani about this, she said it had only gone out 2 days before. Regardless of the time frame, we never received a phone call explaining that the AC was out, or anything that was being done to fix it.
    For having to miss half of my wedding reception because I needed to go up and get air, I expected better compensation. Had there been solid and consistent communication, we would not be so frustrated. The management at this venue is unprofessional, and I would not recommend the use of 20th Century for any type of event. The price is reasonable, but we did not get all we paid for.

Sent on 06/25/2013