Closed business icon The owner has indicated they are no longer in business.
Is this your business? Claim this listing
• Customize your Storefront with your business info
• Network with and learn from other professionals
• Showcase your work with photos & videos
• Collect reviews from your clients and build more credibility

7 Reviews for The Upper Room 1871

Indoor (1)

The Upper Room is a hidden gem in downtown Wilmington! The venue space is absolutely beautiful, the stage was perfect for our band, and our caterer loved all the space provided to set up his tables! Located in downtown Wilmington, our guests were still able to park close to the venue (which was helpful since it was raining). Victoria is so wonderful to work with, and she made all of our worries disappear as soon as we met with her: she let us in a few days early to drop off reception decor, she answered phone calls and emails really quickly, and she was over-and-beyond accommodating with our requests! Having our reception here was one of the best decisions we made during our planning process!

Profile Picture Catherine , 4/7/18, 4 Reviews
Services Used: Indoor

The UpperRoom 1871 is Wilmington's hidden gem. We had our wedding reception at the UpperRoom and it was even more beautiful than I could have ever imagined. Victoria is the coordinator and she is the sweetest, kindest, and most dedicated reception venue coordinator that you will ever meet. Victoria took the time to set up multiple meetings with me and my parents to discuss various parts of the reception. She never hesitated to bring out guest tables, chairs, service tables, and more so that I could play with the room and see different options of how to set it up. I was able to bring in sample linens so that I could see how different textures and colors would look in the room. She always offered her advice and opinions of what what worked well in the past but was very respectful of my vision and helped me in any way she could to make my wedding dreams come alive. She takes good care of her brides and makes sure that the day is exactly what you want. I fell in love with the UpperRoom because of its historical attributes and romantic setting. If you are reception venue shopping, I highly recommend you take the time to look at the UpperRoom. HUGE thanks to Victoria for all of your hard work and support for my wedding!

Profile Picture Amanda, 10/10/15, 8 Reviews
Category: Ceremony & Reception Venue

PROS:
-You can bring in all of your own vendors; including your own wine/beer
-You get the venue Fri-Sun, so you can have your reception as long as you'd like
-Provides a true 'downtown Wilmington' historic feel
-Provides all tables and chiavari chairs

CONS:
-The rental price is a bit steep since Tim left

Tim was the previous Event Coordinator when we initially booked, and he maintained the venue impeccably. The floors were constantly not just polished, but waxed at least monthly. He added style and history to the venue, and ensured the landscaping was picture-perfect. A couple months before our wedding, Tim left and Victoria took over. Although Victoria did a great job ensuring our event went smoothly and my husband and I had an amazing time, we did notice a lag in the maintenance of the venue. The floors certainly were not freshly waxed and shiny (they WERE polished; but polished and waxed are not the same) and the landscaping was cleaned up, but there just was a certain sense of pride that Tim had in the venue that seems to have slipped a bit.

One unfortunate event happened at the reception that I wish Victoria told me about before I left for the evening: guests thought they could take the centerpieces home with them, when in fact, they were rentals. I didn't realize this was happening, but Victoria did and told my florist she saw people leaving with centerpieces. We had to reimburse our florist for the missing vases after the wedding, and had Victoria said something to me during the wedding, we could have made an announcement.

Overall, the flexibility of the venue and the 'look' of the building provided a great backdrop for our wedding and Victoria and her team were unobtrusive and helpful the leading up to the event and the day-of. My one suggestion is that The Upper Room lowers their rental fee if they don't intend on maintaining the venue how Tim did.

Profile Picture User2572749, 2+ years ago, 15 Reviews