PO Box 24668, Detroit, MI 48224 Map · Phone number
  • Photos & Videos 3
  • Pricing

About Sun Messengers

The Sun Messengers have been one of the most popular groups in the Detroit area since forming in 1980. Why? Because they know music and they know their crowds.

The Sun Messengers have played venues as diverse as the legendary rock club CBGBs in New York, followed the very next night by a Rockefeller wedding reception in Oyster Bay. They’ve gotten the party started at more than 6-thousand jobs, including weddings, festivals, night clubs, bar mitzvahs, casinos, corporate events, private parties and sporting events. Only strong musicians with a versatile repertoire can do that.

So if you’re looking for a group that’s big enough to have been the house band for the Detroit Pistons; backed up the likes of Martha Reeves and The Drifters; opened for Jay Leno; turns the streets of Ann Arbor into one big dance party every year at the annual Ann Arbor Summer Festival and can still keep the party going at a private event like yours – there’s only one band to call…..

THE SUN MESSENGERS
Follow Sun Messengers on

e3d12924b5c1d6c0 0812 Jessica and Thomas
e3d12924b5c1d6c0 0812 Jessica and Thomas

• Videos 1

15 Reviews for Sun Messengers

Maggie · Married on 11/08/2014

The Sunmessengers are hands-down the best live band in Michigan! They included the guests in their performance, kept the party going and we're extremely professional along the way! They even made accommodations so that my (the bride) best friend could sing a solo for us! They were just plain awesome and I only hope to see them perform again soon! Two of the upcoming weddings in our family already asked for their information!

Sent on 01/14/2015

We could not have asked for a better wedding band than the Sun Messengers! As soon as we got engaged, I knew they were my top choice for our music. We love their Motown/Soul vibe and were thrilled that they also brought a fantastic female vocalist for the day. The band was really tuned into the crowd and kept the dance floor full all night. And our family and friends are not always big dancers, so this was quite an accomplishment!

We also had the keyboardist play during our cocktail and dinner hours. It was a perfect accompaniment for the "quieter" parts of the reception. And the price was right! It was much nicer than putting on an iPod or something. It really lent a personal and intimate feeling to the beginning of the reception.

Throughout the planning process, Rick was helpful and responsive. He contacted me about a week before the wedding to go over the particulars. But I left most everything up to them, knowing they're the professionals. That's why you book a band like this-- so you don't have to worry about anything!

Even though the Sun Messengers were my first choice from the get-go, we looked at a few other bands in the Detroit area. Many were very talented and looked like fun, but their prices were extremely high and they needed to be booked through a central agent. I liked that we could work directly with Rick, and their price was within our budget.

All throughout the night, our guests had nothing but great things to say about the music. Many asked us where we found the band, and said it was the most fun they'd had at a wedding in ages. Our wedding was very traditional in most other respects, so I know it was the Sun Messengers that made the party so memorable for many of our guests!

If you are having a wedding in Detroit, I definitely recommend skipping the DJ and going with the Sun Messengers!

Sent on 01/13/2015

Christine · Married on 09/27/2014

I had the best experience with the Sun Messengers at my September 2014 wedding. An e-mail to Rick (the band leader) checking their availability immediately after becoming engaged is what decided our wedding date! From start to finish, they are nothing but professional and responsive. Another huge bonus is how reasonable they are compared to other metro Detroit area wedding bands. The band is beyond talented, I believe we had twelve (yes, twelve!!) band members there. Packed with powerful male and female vocals. We received so many compliments regarding the Sun Messengers during and after our wedding. I have heard the Sun Messengers play at a bar and at a few weddings, every time they are playing the dance floor is packed and a good time is guaranteed. They played the classics as well as a lot of current music so there was a very diverse mix for all ages to enjoy. They even played our wedding song AND father/daughter dance song live which was extra special. We had the Sun Messengers do a quartet during our outdoor cocktail hour which made it even more classy and special. Rick MC'd our parents, wedding party and couple introductions flawlessly. I cannot recommend the Sun Messengers enough! You cannot go wrong, I promise!!!!

Sent on 01/06/2015