942 Lovell Ave, Campbell, CA 95008 Map · Phone number
  • Photos & Videos 27
  • Real Weddings 1

About Ocean Blue Videography

VAN HSIEH, FILMMAKER & CREATIVE DIRECTOR

"A cinematographer has to design and write a story, starting at the beginning, through the evolution to the end. That's why I considered my profession as a writer of light." ~ Vittorio Storaro

Vittorio Storaro, who collaborated with the Italian director Bernardo Bertolucci on "The Conformist", "Last Tango in Paris" and "The Last Emperor" believes a cinematographer is not only a painter of light but he or she needs to know literature, music and painting in order to tell an effective story with images.

As an avid cinephile and a filmmaker, I am always striving to master these three things: Telling a good story as a writer; Creating an enchanting image like a painter; Weaving all the pieces together through time and with rhythm, like a musician.

I remember being intrigued by shapes and colors when I was a little kid. I would stare at irregular holes on peeling wallpapers and imagine them to be silhouettes of a dancing man, a rabbit or a duck. However, like many kids growing up in Taiwan, I was encouraged to study hard and attend law school. Deeper in my heart, I always felt a longing to be an artist.

After graduating from Taiwan University with a Bachelor of Law degree in 2000, I decided to pursue my true passion: art and storytelling. A respected artist in Taiwan told me that I should go somewhere close to New York city to pursue a career in art. Unaware of the driving time from Rochester to New York (7 hours) and the extreme weather conditions (6 months of snow), I left my home, friends and family to study Masters in Fine Arts at Rochester Institute of Technology. Although I had my share of hardships as a student living abroad, I was showered with encouragement by the faculty and fellow artists at RIT. I fell in love with film, the perfect art form that combines storytelling and enchanting visuals.

In 2001 after taking a summer film program at University of Southern California in Los Angeles, I toured San Francisco for a week. I immediately fell in love with the landscape and the creative spirit of the city.

In 2003, I founded Ocean Blue Videography™ in the Bay Area to fulfill my vision of using state of the art technology to produce exquisite and meaningful works. Since then our team has produced, shot and edited over 200 weddings and other personal events while striving to highlight the uniqueness of each story. We have also branched out to business videos and indie films projects, which in turn sharpen our senses and skills in various aspects of video production.

I would like to invite you to visit our film gallery and get connected.

Follow Ocean Blue Videography on

Wedding Cake

• Videos 3

16 Reviews for Ocean Blue Videography

Vicky · Married on 10/26/2014

We were so grateful to have Van as our wedding videographer! We were Wowed by the amazing wedding videos that Van has on her website. That's how we decided to meet up with her. And we made the best decision there! Not only that our video is as beautiful as we could imagine, Van is the best videographer one could ask for. She is super sweet, great to work with, very responsive and talented in what she does. She really cares about her customer and went above and beyond to help us through out the wedding preparation.

To us, Van was more than a videographer, she was also our wedding consultant and later on a great friend. We would reach out to her for any wedding related questions and she was always so sweet and responding to us with great suggestions and recommendations. We had a special request (which we made clear at our first meeting) to have our highlight available within a week after the wedding as we want to play it at our wedding banquet back in China afterwards. We were thrilled when she told us she could do it and she delivered it as expected! The other big plus for hiring Van is that she speaks Chinese and she did such a fantastic job on blending the Chinese and English in our highlight video.

Thank you so much Van! We LOVE the video you made for us and the rest of the day you captured for us in all the raw footage too. Thank you for all your help and thoughtfulness throughout the process!

Vicky & Frank

• Renee

Renee · Married on 10/07/2012

Our videographer came as a recommendation to us from our photographer. This was one of the BEST decisions we made in choosing a videography company. We did a love story video which was played at our reception. I came up with an idea and Van came up with an awesome concept that the crowd loved. Everyone laughed, some cried, but all LOVED the video as we did too. Ocean Blue is definitely the company for you if you need a videographer.

I am thrilled that we found Van to be our wedding videographer!

After a couple weeks of stalking videographer sites I stumbled onto Ocean Blue Videography. The video samples they had on their site were wonderful and exactly how I wanted our video to turn out. I could also tell that Van had a great eye for picking up the really important moments in a wedding and setting these perfectly to music. I mean, when you're crying while watching a wedding video of random strangers you know that you've found someone very talented.

We met with Van and while her standard package prices were above our budget she was able to customize a package for us which fit all of our needs, I was soooo happy! On the wedding day she was very professional as was her second cameraman. They did not get in the way at all and most of the time we did not even know that they were there.

We received our videos last weekend and were so excited but nervous about what to expect. I was really hoping the video would be as good as some of the samples I saw. When both I and my husband started crying about 5 seconds into the video I knew that we'd made the right decision by working with Ocean Blue and Van. The video was fantastic and to me it was even better than the previous samples I had seen, I might be biased though. I'm so happy that we'll have this video to show to our kids and grandkids! Besides capturing all of the emotions perfectly I also noticed that the visual quality was amazing, it really looked like a movie, starring us. Van also made sure to use shots where everyone looked fantastic, I can't wait for our grandkids to remark how hot grandma and grandpa were back in the day!

All joking aside, the experience was wonderful and I'll be recommending Van/Ocean Blue to anyone who wants a talented videographer! Thank you Van!

Ocean Blue Videography FAQ

• What is the starting price for your wedding videography services? $ 3,200.00
  • What is the price of your most popular wedding package? $ 3,650.00
  • Which wedding events to you service? Ceremony, Pre-Ceremony, Reception
  • What videography services do you offer? Add'l Hours, Full Feature Video, High-Def Video, Highlight Video, Liability Insurance, Multi. Cameras, Multi. Locations, Raw Footage
  • What final video formats do you offer? Blu-Ray, DVD, USB Hard Drive

Real Weddings

• Photograffiti by Auey Santos
    Photograffiti by Auey Santos Wedding Photographers

I can't say enough good things about Van and her work. Beneath that shy and quiet demeanor, lies a creative genius at work - manipulating light and sound to tell the story of your wedding day - with honesty and integrity. She works unobtrusively and efficiently - like a ninja. You can not go wrong with this award-wnning filmmaker. Don't be fooled by the sweet facade, Van will move heaven and earth to get the shot! Highly recommended.

• 942 Lovell Ave Campbell, CA 95008 See on map