Boston, MA 02298 Map · Phone number
  • Photos

About Janelle Carmela Photography

Hi! I'm Janelle, and I'd love to get to know you.

I'm a wedding and lifestyle photographer that specializes in capturing the emotion and details of your big day for years to come. I live in Boston, MA but love to make trips home to Rochester, NY, so please feel free to inquire about events in either areas! I could tell you about how much I love to spend time with couples leading up to their wedding, or how honored I feel when they choose me to capture their big day...but instead, I'll tell you a little about why I decided to become a wedding photographer.

For as long as I can remember, I’ve always been able to get lost in photos. At the homes of family and friends, I would scour through pages and pages of old photo albums, even though they were mostly filled people I had never met. I admired my Great Aunt Rita who covered every single inch of her home in pictures of her loved ones. I would sit on her stairs, looking at each framed photo step by step, as I worked my little self from the first floor to the second. And when Facebook was invented, it felt like Mark Zuckerberg was speaking directly to my soul when he made my favorite pastime so easy to do. But it wasn’t until I was in front of the lens that my whole world changed. It wasn’t until after a photographer I had hired for my wedding sent me the photographs she made that truly captured the most meaningful and important day of my life. She perfectly documented a day that was filled with the people I love, some who I will never see again, and if I could literally reach through my computer screen and hug every picture she took, I would. To her, she was simply doing her job, but to me, she gave me some something that was priceless: memories of a special day and the passion to do the same for someone else.

So what are you waiting for? Grab a cup of coffee, scroll through my site, and say hello! I can’t wait to meet you.

XO,

Janelle Carmela Photography 7
  • Maureen

Maureen · Married on 07/06/2019

Janelle is a daydream

I could talk all day about how wonderful and lovely Janelle is to work with. Janelle has a calm easy-going personality. She also has zero ego which just adds to her charm considering how talented she is. She’s a pure artist. She was great to work with, from being game to take engagement photos at the zoo to being flexible when all the plans and timeline went out the window once the monsoon hit. Janelle has a major make it work moment and was observant enough to notice the torrential downpour had subsided to light rain and gathered the wedding party for outside photos. My brother-in-law/officiant actually told my husband he wished he knew Janelle when they had their wedding 11 years ago. She’s that good. Thanks Janelle for the awesome experience and from what I’ve seen so far the wedding photographs are perfect. Xoxo Maureen

Sent on 07/19/2019
    Janelle Carmela Photography 15
    Janelle Carmela Photography 16
  • Kyle

Kyle · Married on 05/27/2019

I am thrilled that I hired Janelle Carmela for my wedding. I had seen (and adored) her website before speaking with her, but she was upfront with me that weddings were new to her. Because of this, she offered me a very reasonable rate.

Throughout the planning process, Janelle checked in with me frequently with ideas, questions and general excitement. Perhaps she was thinking of me because I was stalking her photos on social media, but I felt like she was a close friend cheering me on as the wedding got close.

On the day of the wedding, Janelle and her assistant arrived early. She used this time to visit my reception venue to take pictures of my centerpieces, cake and decor. She then joined us and documented us getting ready. We ran a little behind schedule, but Janelle was patient and quite fun to spend time with. As a recent bride herself, she made me feel relaxed about the crazy day we were having.

While I didn’t notice her during the ceremony, Janelle was well organized to manage our group's time well for posed photos. The creative ideas she had for photos of our wedding party were AMAZING.

The day after the wedding, Janelle posted two "sneak peak" photos online, and I was overwhelmed. Both photos completely exceeded my expectations. These weren't just good photos, they were something I would expect to see inside a magazine. She managed to capture every single detail in such a unique way. From the poses she created to the angles she captured us from, I don't think I could have asked for more.

I would love to include some small criticism to give my review credibility, but my only regret is that I truly feel that I underpaid Janelle for our photos. If my wedding wasn't across the county from where I live, I would have already booked Janelle for our Christmas photos.

I certainly don't anticipate getting married again, but I wouldn't consider hiring anyone else if I did.

You can view my photos at http://janellecarmela.com/kyleandjared

Sent on 08/07/2014

Christina · Married on 08/04/2018

Beyond perfect!

Janelle was recommended to me by a friend who was blown away with her work at a wedding she attended. Because of this amazing review, I reached out to her and when we spoke on the phone, I knew she would be the perfect photographer for our wedding. She was spunky, energetic, sweet, professional, and clearly knew her stuff. When we met her in person at the first time, we instantly felt relaxed with her. She never made us do anything we were not comfortable with and she was able to capture the most amazing and unique shots at our engagement session and on our wedding day. She shot every smile, laugh, tear, hug, and kiss, and we are forever grateful for the amazing photos we now have to cherish all of the love that surrounded us that day! In additional to Janelle being the most amazing wedding photographer, she also is an incredibly loving person who goes above and beyond for her couples. Words cannot describe how appreciative I was when I panicked three months before my summer wedding about my hair and makeup artist and Janelle took the time to send over recommendations for me. This tiny act of kindness to ease my mind made me feel like a valued “client” of hers. My husband and I are so happy we found her and cannot wait to have more shoots with her in the future! If you’re looking for a talented, fun, and passionate photographer - Janelle is the girl for you!

Sent on 10/28/2018