About Gaia's Handfasting

Custom designed handfasting cords
Kindra designs custom handfasting cords for your wedding, handfasting,
union, bonding or tryst. The concept of a Handfasting is said to have
originated with the ancient Celtic culture. With the peasant class, a
Handfasting was often used because the couple was not wealthy
enough to require one nor did they need one as there usually was
no dowry to arrange for. Conversely with the nobility class, a Handfasting
was used almost like a modern day prenuptial agreement. The Handfasting
was used to signify the betrothal of the couple before the business of the
dowry and entitlement was worked out.

Today a Handfasting can be used in many similar and dissimilar ways.
It can be used to signify an engagement or betrothal. Laws being as
they are today, a Handfasting is an excellent way for a gay or lesbian
couple to make their commitment known. Additionally a Handfasting
can be added to any wedding ceremony, regardless of religion, as
"tying the knot" is a universal wedding theme.

Categories: Wedding Service

Regions serviced: Charlotte

18 Reviews for Gaia's Handfasting

My wife and I cannot be thankful enough for Kindra at Gaia's Handfasting. From our first contact with her she made herself completely available via phone, e-mail, facebook, and a face to face meeting with her to hand select everything about our handfasting from the order of the events to the vows and everything in between. She allowed us to make as many inclusions as we wished, all the while adding her knowledge and expertise to fine tune everything and make our day perfect! Never once did she say "no" or "I can't" or try to change our minds or influence us. To the contrary she was eager to help us customize our experience so that it was perfect FOR US! In addition to acting as our officiant she also handmade our unique, one of a kind handfasting cord. We were able to select the ribbon, the charms, everything; and it was gorgeous. We were able to select our date and time with no problems, and she was willing to travel to us, all for a price that was nearly half of what others were asking. Kindra could not have been more professional. Unbeknownst to us she had endured the tragic loss of her father just a couple of days before our ceremony. We did not find out until the ceremony was over. She put this personal tragedy aside and was smiling and super polite and accomodating to all our guests; not just during the ceremony but before and after as well. With all this said, it comes down to the simple fact that our Handfasting would not have been as special as it was without her. Any licensed minister can recite a wedding; it takes a truly special individual and a kind heart to provide the love, guidance, and overwhelming personal service that we got from Kindra; and Gaia's Handfasting is the only to have her. We absolutely recommend her to everyone.

Profile Picture Matthew, 6/28/14, 1 Review
Category: Officiant, Unique Services (Other)

Kindra was the absolute best. I contacted her with short notice about the date of our handfasting/wedding. She made us the most perfect handfasting cords. In our initial contact, she asked me the colors and type and even allowed me to send her the charms we wanted to use in our cords. She had them finished very quickly, and made sure to forward them to use before we left for our trip. The cords were absolutely beautiful. When I saw the picture of the finished product, I cried. I am amazed at the outcome. She is a very, very talented individual, who cares about what her client wants. If you are considering a handfasting and need cords, you cannot go wrong with Gaia's handfasting.

Profile Picture Rachel, 9/16/13, 1 Review
Category: Unique Services (Other)

My handfasting cord from Kindra was breath taking , i received many compliments. The craftsmanship was wonderful. It added so much to my special day! Thank you!!

Profile Picture Jamie, 8/24/13, 5 Reviews
Category: Unique Services (Other)

Gaia's Handfasting FAQ

220x220 sq 1259763717987 silverblackcelticsageburgandyivory22908
220x220 sq 1259763737346 leathertriskel51908
220x220 sq 1259763753253 whitemotherofpearl52908
220x220 sq 1259763767737 tartanguitarstring6308

I have been performing ceremonies that include handfastings for over 15 years. Gaia's cords are beautiful, well crafted and perfect for handfasting ceremonies. She is the only person I refer my clients to, when they want to "tie the knot".

Asheville, NC 28806   See On Map