Los Angeles, CA 90020 Map · Phone number

About Folklore Dress Studio

-Custom bridal gowns

-Bridal gown alterations

Folklore Dress Studio operates out of the home of owner, designer, and dressmaker Lara Sims. Lara collaborates with each client to design a one-of-a-kind dress, tailoring it to fit the client's body and hand-making it at high quality. Folklore Dress Studio offers an important alternative to shopping for dresses, as each client receives personal attention and is able to provide creative input. Each client comes away with a dress that is uniquely hers, reflecting her personal style. Lara also does all types of bridal gown alterations.

Follow Folklore Dress Studio on

Folklore Dress Studio 1
Folklore Dress Studio 2
Folklore Dress Studio 3

K Owings · Married on 10/13/2018

Effortless & stress-free experience!

Awesome experience working with Lara. My wedding gown was custom made to my measurements (by a dressmaker that shall remain nameless), but to my devastation & dismay, it did NOT fit properly. It took a while for me to find a seamstress that would alter it in time for the wedding date at a reasonable price- Lara was exactly what I was looking for. She not only corrected the ill-fitting bodice, but made suggestions to make the gown more flattering & versatile. I was so relieved to look in the mirror & see my gown as intended. The whole experience was positive & though I only needed one fitting, I am so grateful to Lara for her expertise. It made all the difference when I confidently put on my gown & new without a doubt that it looked how I wanted. I highly recommend Folklore Dress Studio!

Folklore Dress Studio 4

Melinda · Married on 08/05/2017

This is a late post, but I had the pleasure of working with Lara on my custom wedding dress. I knew I wanted a custom made dress, because I wanted something in red. I researched multiple custom dress makers and based on customer service, cost, and flexibility I went with Lara and it was the best decision I ever made.

When I first met Lara, she was very sweet and I instantly felt comfortable talking to her. I shared with her my vision of what type of dress I would like and she sketched it out for me. Next, we went fabric shopping together and unfortunately, we could not find the exact tone of red that I wanted. In no way during this process, did she try to change my mind on settling for any type of color/fabric. She was patient and offered to go to another fabric store while I was at work to look for the shade I wanted, and she did! We also went to look for the jewels for my dress and bought some, but along the dress making process, I wanted something different and Lara was totally understanding and went to buy different jewels based on my preference.

Lara first made what I'd call a "draft" dress out of muslin to ensure the measurements and fitting were correct. After that, I had a few more fittings with my actual dress. You can tell Lara cares a lot about the quality of her work and her dress. She is not satisfied until you are satisfied because she knows how important the wedding dress is to her customers. There were a few minor adjustments we had to make along the way and Lara was always open to hearing them and making the necessary changes. At the end of the process, I was more than thrilled with my wedding dress and the experience with Lara. I felt like I made a friend along the way.

There is no doubt that I would recommend Lara to anyone that wants their dream wedding dress to become a reality.

Folklore Dress Studio 5
    Folklore Dress Studio 6

Kimberly · Married on 09/23/2016

Lara is incredible, she was recommended to me by the shop where I bought my dress and I'm so happy that I chose her to put in my bustle. She did a beautiful job, it's so simple to tie up, and her price was amazing. If you're in the bay area take your dress to Lara.

Folklore Dress Studio FAQ

• What are your price ranges for full-priced wedding gowns? $1,000 - $2,499, $2,500 - $3,999, $4,000 - $6,499, $6,500 - $7,999, $8,000+
  • How do you price dress alterations? By Piece
  • Which of the following services do you provide? Alterations, Appointments Only, Full Customization
  • Which of the following items do you offer? Bridal Gowns, Dress Replicas, Formal Gowns, Plus Size Gowns
  • What is your return policy? Final Sales