Nearby Vendors to Consider

About Barry Phipps Photography

Barry Phipps is a fine art photographer specializing in weddings in the Chicago and Iowa City markets.

With a passion for film and for classic Leica and Hasselblad cameras, Barry is one of the few photographers in the Chicago and Iowa City areas who shoots 100% film for weddings, engagement photos and event photography. However, Barry is not anti-digital by any means. He scans all of his negatives (most of which are developed himself in his darkroom) and converts the images into digital files for final presentation to the client. The result is a completely beautiful film look combined with the convenience of digital files for sharing and viewing in the modern world.

Barry is first and foremost a fine art photographer who brings an art world sensibility to his event assignments. His work is inspired by and is a continuation of mid 20th century street and art photographers such as Garry Winogrand, William Eggleston, Diane Arbus, Lee Friedlander and countless others. Barry works exclusively with available light and only uses a flash when there are no other means possible. His lenses are super fast (F1 - F2), which allows for available light photography in dark indoor locations. He considers his unique approach to be an alternative to today’s typical digital photography, both in look and approach. His cameras are small, quiet, humble and discreet, and most people don’t even realize he is the “official” photographer at events, as people are used to seeing photographers with huge cameras and flashes strapped across their bodies. He uses this to his advantage, as he is able to capture candid photos mostly unnoticed.

Barry studied photography, video and painting at the Kansas City Art Institute, from which he graduated with a B.F.A. in 1990. He spent the next seven years as a member of the art rock group The Coctails, a critically acclaimed band that recorded numerous albums and toured extensively in the United States and Japan. Barry is also a DJ and is president of Beep Media, Inc., a Chicago based company of ten DJs formed in 1999. Barry runs a recording studio, North Branch Studio, as well as Tight Ship Records, a small independent record label. Barry considers himself a multi-media artist.

Categories: Wedding Photographer

Regions serviced: Chicago, Cedar Rapids

20 Reviews for Barry Phipps Photography

Barry is professional, friendly, and artistic! He took a lot of time to talk to me regarding my wedding and what I was looking for from a photographer. This translated into an amazing collection of captured moments of my wedding. Barry listened to the constraints I expressed regarding budget and was willing to work with me to get exactly what I wanted without compromising on quality. It is apparent to me that he wants to deliver creative, professional photographs while also understanding the needs and wants of his individual clients. My husband and I are incredibly happy with the photographs! I highly recommend Barry Phipps!

Profile Picture Kari, 2/24/17, 1 Review
Category: Photography

Barry was our wedding photographer for our wedding on September 21, 2013 at the Figge Art Museum in Davenport, IA. I was planning the wedding from afar and I was so impressed that the first time Barry and I spoke on the phone he called me from the Figge where he had gone to scope out potential sites for good shots. This was even before we had booked him!

His photos are gorgeous...very natural and not overly posed or cheesy. He really captures the day in a special and beautiful way. He also uses film and scans them into digital files, which is why the light is so lovely.

Incredibly professional, easy to work with, and not at all in your face on the job, we were so happy to have had the opportunity to work with Barry. And wow, the photos made me feel like we were in a high-end wedding magazine!

Profile Picture Christina, 9/21/13, 7 Reviews
Category: Photography

First and foremost, Barry Phipps was absolutely the best wedding photographer we could have ever asked for! Not only is he a standup guy, one of those genuinely good people who add ease and happiness to your celebration... he knows what he is doing, he does it extremely well and with a great attitude! Between him and his lovely assistant Giselle (whom is also one of the most delightful people you will ever meet), you can rest assured that your day is being documented with the tender, love and care it deserves, as well as attention to the details that make you and your partner so special. After all, now that it is almost a year later his photos are what we look at to remember and relive one of the most special day of our lives. I cannot tell you how many times I have been caught looking through our photos with tears and a gigantic smile beaming across my face :)
Not only does Barry deliver his incredible images timely, they are displayed neatly and are easy to review and share with all of your guests. In retrospect, I cannot emphasize enough how important his job is and how well he did it. Barry captured the truth, the love, the beauty, the emotions, the atmosphere, the experience... and he did it with his incredible artistic abilities, which you and your family will get to cherish forever.
Barry and Giselle - Jason and I thank you a million times over!

Profile Picture Kathryn , 8/16/13, 1 Review