· Married on 08/14/2010
While I did find that the pictures taken were very good and captured some of the best moments, I was not favorable of the overall process - here's some reasons why:
Sent on 05/09/2011
- Too many pictures posted online that I had to sort through - some pictures were just bad and I didn't need to see them.
- The process of going through all the pictures was long, by the time I was done I didn't even want to see another wedding photo.
- Too many options. I could switch this with this, and then after I made a choice it was "Well, I have this option too". While I appreciate the flexibility, at some point it needs to stop so it doesn't drag on the process
- You spent time doing special editing to photos I didn't choose. Or did editing to photos different than on the website so I was surprised when I received the picture.
- Your emails were very wordy. While you remain patient & flexible it's frustrating to read an email where all I read are excuses why work isn't done yet.
- Some overall unorganization. Waiting at the studio for you to get pictures together, not all were ready, an appointment had been made ahead of time & then left waiting at the studio. Engagement pictures took 4 hours - while I appreciate the effort we didn't need that much time. We only wanted a photo for the newspaper.
- In our original interview with you talked up all this stuff that was included in the package. Newspaper announcements was one of them. You were a middle man that actually complicated the process. After the wedding announcements were not put in the paper, I had to call the paper and figure out what was going on. I had to communicate back to you multiple times to get it done. This was a service I had expected to be completely hassle free.
- I had to create a mock album. I felt that I paid you to do that kind of work. After sending in Mock Album in October it took until January for you to get back to me and tell me it was going to be an additional $471.00. After finalizing those changes, it took until April until it was complete. Overall it was an 8 month process. I don't feel this is acceptable business.
- I realize that I got a good quality album, but I don't feel that I got much for my money. I purchased a photo mat, minimal prints, one canvas, one album. I got no DVD, no proof book, no extras...but spent as much, if not more, money than I would have at other photographers I went to.
- The purchase price for copyrights is unreasonable.
I am pleased with my final album, however my frustrations with the overall service, process, length of time, and cost I am not satisfied. I chose you because your pictures in your studio were nice, you are very sweet and you seemed to have had a lot to offer. But there were times when we had regrets for selecting your studio. While I still know you to be a very sweet person, I would not recommend your studio to other Brides.
Artistry In Photography's reply:
Lindsay, First, I'd like to thank you for your kinds words. Your wedding day was truly magical. You and your loved ones were a pleasure to work with. I'd also like acknowledge your concerns and apologize for anything we could have done better. Each bride has unique circumstances. Communication, documentation and organization are vital. As you pointed out, we are flexible when possible. Some know exactly what they want and require less correspondence. Others aren't sure and weigh options as they go. We did have more contact with you than usual. It was necessary. Engmt shoots are brief, unless required otherwide. I noted you were undecided on an engmt slideshow. With outfit changes and same day selections, it can take hours. Our engmt shoots are free, so the only reason for working harder is so brides have what they need. We didn't have the usual contact just before wedding day as planned, understandably. You were just getting into town, with a million things to do. We had your last minute autograph mat order ready with just those few minutes when you picked up. Since you lived states away, your online selection process was an exception made just for you. It took longer than I expected, too. There was a lot of extra work involved, but no extra chgs. Narrowing images myself is always easier. I see the best 300 images at a glance. I reserve the right to choose and with hold images, but wave that right at the brides request. Our brides have as much or as little control as they choose - one of our catch phrases. Most brides, like you, opt to see all their images and choose their own. It is usually a special time at the studio, with cappucinos and a pc of your own. We use streamlined, selection software. Our accommodation for you meant many uploads and searching to remove rejected images from the internet. It would have been fine at any point to say, "Steph, please narrow these down." You seemed happy and involved in your process. Taking out what we perceive to be the "bad" images, raises the issue of not getting to see them all. And "bad" is subjective. After the wedding, some newlyweds are "all wedding'd out" ... they want to see ALL the pics, but then again don't. They want to design their album, but by the end don't remember why. Often couples take a breather and come back when ready. While we wait for their selections, time ticks on and as with any studio, can later be perceived as our delay. It's one reason, the ball doesn't stay in our court long. It's part of why we include the couple in the documentation process along the way. The Renaissance album is a more expensive album. The base album starts with 24 sides. Additional sides and prints were submitted with your album layout. he amount you mentioned was a quote had you upgraded. I reworked your layout so you didn't have the extra cost. Not sure if you noticed, I included extras anyway, at my expense and stacks of extra prints. It's my way of helping you to have your cake and eat it, too. We offer albums in standard sizes to avoid the extra delay that comes with ordering custom sizes. Because your album was a special color, it had to be custom ordered anyway. It took 8 weeks to come in. You can see this on the Renaissance website along with prices, so you know where the quote came from. I worked ahead and finished your album pages without the album, so assembly would be fast once it came in. That 8 weeks may have seemed like our delay. Total turn around time was faster than most studio's. You mentioned waiting at the studio while we got pictures around. Everything was shipped to you except when your mom picked up. With little notice, you asked if I could possibly have a large order ready in time for her to bring in a few days. Skipping sleep to make it happen for you, I was finishing when she showed early. We believe the copyrights belong with you and price them accordingly. There is an additional discount with a wedding pkg. Your contractual release price is less than $1/edited image, on 24kt gold dvd. You are welcome to any documentation. I'd like for you to see, we truly gave you a 110%. In our 9 yrs of specializing in wedding photography, we still strive to improve and learn from each one. It can be hard to hear constructive criticism after giving something your all. When we look at your wedding photography, 2 photographers, unlimited photography and editing, complimentary 20x24 wall portrait, autograph mat, canvas wrap, stacks of large prints, online sharing and selections, lots of shipping, engmt sitting, 10x10 Renaissance album and even the perception of our giving you too much attention, while we worked with dozens other brides, it's easy to feel great about the job we did for you. Your wedding photography was beautiful and wonderful, like you : ) I adore my job and love working with brides. If there is anything I can do to help you feel better about your experience, that's what I'm all about, I hope you will let me know. Sincerely, Stephanie M. Lain, Artistry In Photography