Artisan Foodworks

Columbus, IN 47201 Map · Phone number

About Artisan Foodworks

Chef Alexa, her wife Samantha, and the entire team believe that "food is love" and treat each of our events as a way to show that. We provide delicious, farm to table catering, serving food that people actually want to eat. Pricing starts at $15 to $100 a guest, depending upon menu selected.

We do all aspects of off-premise catering from drop-offs to served action stations. Unlike many caterers, we prepare foods on-site (when service staff is ordered) with our mobile and field kitchens for the best taste and food safety.

Here are some of Chef Alexa's accomplishments:

• Competitor in the 2016 World Food Championships.

• Winner of the 2016 INDYCOOKS FOR THE ARC

• Winner of both "Best Overall" and "Best Sweet Dish" at the 2016 Chicago Bacon and Beer Classic! So proud to win the grand prize against 40 of Chicago's finest chefs.

• Recipient of the 2016 James Beard Foundation Rhone Rangers Grant

• Finalist in the Chef's Taste Challenge Farm to Table Cook-Off to be held in New Orleans (They named Chef Alexa as one of the Top 10 Farm to Table Chefs in the USA).

• Grand Champion in the American Dairy Association Indiana Ultimate Macaroni and Cheese Cook-Off 2015.

Follow Artisan Foodworks on

Country green beans from the Hoosier Buffet menu
Country green beans from the Hoosier Buffet menu
Whole fish are delicious. My entry in the Chef's Taste Challenge, where I was named one of the Top...
Charcuterie board and other goodies for appetizers from the Modern Rustic Menu

4 Reviews for Artisan Foodworks

• Karissa

Karissa · Married on 09/15/2018

Great food and service!

We booked with Alexa and Sam for our rehearsal dinner and reception. The taco truck for the rehearsal was a hit and the girls running the truck were fantastic! The wedding food was even better. I was sad because I was running around greeting everyone and didn’t get a chance to eat much of my food, and they packed up a to go container for me that I happily snarfed down at the end of the night!

Sent on 02/10/2019

Liz · Married on 10/27/2018

2.8

Wedding Caterer and Bar

My husband and I found Artisan Foodworks through the Thumbtack app. It is run by a married couple, Sam and Alexa. First meeting went well. We booked them for our bar and catering. Our first tasting went well. The food was excellent, especially the mac and cheese. They have many menu options and choices you can choose from. My husband and I liked that a lot. They also have either China that you can choose or bamboo leaf plates. The China is more expensive but not too bad. They also don’t ask for your head count until 2 weeks prior to your wedding. That was very helpful since in this day and age RSVP’s are hard to get back on time, if at all.

They had a big tasting where you got to try an array of items on the menu. That was helpful and very nice. They also had a raffle going on for a s’more maker, to promote their marshmallows they make. We luckily won which was a nice bonus.

I did have a wedding book that helped me ask questions of vendors since I had no idea what to ask in the beginning. I will tell you that they have a food truck and it is painted with purple flames on it. We had an outside ceremony and inside reception. But I didn’t think to ask that question. It wasn’t really in sight for us, but I didn’t like that I wasn’t made aware of that detail. Again, it’s not something I wouldn’t think to ask about so just a heads up for future bookers. They also don’t use PayPal or Venmo. So when making payments if you live an hour away from them, it can be a drive to get it to them. I felt uncomfortable to mail it since it was usually for a good amount of money. That was a big inconvieniance for my husband and I. I didn’t feel like there was a lot of flexibility there.

I really enjoyed working with them, until we met at our venue site together and went over where the food would need to be set up. I am a planner and had my ideas of where I wanted things set the day of. But I respect others opinions and am fine to discuss things if someone nicely explains what they are talking about. We had a barn venue and the front had a cement walkway with a pergola. The side of the barn also had a walkway and it was a good size. My husband and I wanted the food line there so we wouldn’t have the line in our photos. When we asked Sam and Alexa about it, Sam immediately just said it wouldn’t work. There was no discussion, frankly I thought she was very rude about it. Alexa was more willing to discuss the option and talk us through why the front may be better, or how she could make the side work. Sam then would cut in and just say no it wouldn’t work. Alexa tried hard to work out options for the side but every option she said Sam cut in and shot it down. I didn’t really know how to respond or what to say. I was honestly really embarrassed. I had my mother and sister with me, and I just thought it was rude and unprofessional of her to act like that with us. Again, I was understanding if the side wouldn’t work. I just wanted to understand why. We only had an hour at the venue site so the arguing took most of that time and when we left we had no plan for the day of. I was very discouraged after that meeting.

My main concern was everything running smoothly so on the day of, I just let the vendors set up where needed and we were under the assumption the caterer would be setting up on the front. Later after the ceremony, I saw they did set up the food line on the side where we originally asked for. I was happy it worked out, but again, thought it was unnecessary to argue in front of us when in the end they chose what we were asking because it was better logistically for them. The food was very good and the presentation was nice. But with the other things I mentioned above I just wouldn’t want anyone else to have the stress I did. If I could’ve redo it I would have chosen a different caterer.

Sent on 11/25/2018
  • Z

Zachary Thomas · Married on 10/20/2018

Avoid this business

Delusional, unprofessional, and immature. Avoid at all costs.

We hired Artisan Foodworks for my wedding in October at the Lanier Mansion in Madison, IN. The food was pretty good, considering we mostly got charcuterie. However, after the scheduled time to serve food had passed, my father-in-law went to speak to the staff of Artisan Foodworks, and they were EATING while our guests were waiting for the one hot item to be finished cooking. They also dumped lemons and limes from the water dispenser onto the Mansion lawn and my wife and I were cleaning up their food waste on our wedding day.

The owners tried to remedy the situation by promising to refund the 10% gratuity. Great! NOT! After they promised this remedy, they ducked the calls from my wife and her father. Today my FIL called them from work and they ignored the call. Then they called his human resources department to say he and my wife were harassing them! THEY TRIED TO GET HIM FIRED AND THREATENED LEGAL ACTION INSTEAD OF PAYING THE $300 REFUND THEY PROMISED!

My wife and I are rational people who understand the plights of small-business ownership. But the owners of Artisan Foodworks are the last people who should own a business and I am convinced that they opened their business for the sole purpose of playing the victim.

Good food, terrible owners, bad experience. Immature, unprofessional, and dishonest.

Sent on 11/27/2018

Artisan Foodworks FAQ

• What is the average catering price per person for buffet service? $ 25.00
  • What is the average catering price per person for stations? $ 100.00
  • What is the average catering price per person for hors d'oeuvres? $ 40.00
  • Which of the following are included in the cost of your full service wedding catering? Delivery, Set Up, Clean Up, Cake Cutting, Dessert, Cocktail Reception, Server(s), Tables, China, Linens, Flatware, Glassware
  • What is the starting price per person for bar service? $ 20.00
  • Which of the following are included in the starting price for bar service? Bartender(s), Open Bar, House Beer, House Wine
  • What event services do you provide? Delivery, Set Up, Clean Up
  • What catering services do you provide? Breakfast / Brunch, Buffet, Cake Cutting, Cocktail Reception, Custom Menu, Dessert, Family Style, Hors d'oeuvres, Lunch, Server(s), Stations, Tapas, Tastings
  • What types of cuisine do you cater? American, BBQ, Cajun, Caribbean, Chinese, French, German, Greek, Indian, Italian, Korean, Latin American, Local, Mediterranean, Middle Eastern, Sandwiches, Seafood, Southern, Vietnamese
  • What dietary needs can you accommodate? Gluten Free, Lactose Free, No Pork, Nut Free, Organic, Vegan, Vegetarian
  • What bar services do you provide? Liquor License, Bartender(s), Cash Bar, Limited Bar, Open Bar, House Beer, Specialty Beer, House Wine, Specialty Wine, Champagne Toast, House Liquor, Premium Liquor, Signature Drink
  • Which of the following items can you provide? Barware, China, Flatware, Glassware, Linens

• Columbus, 47201 See on map