White vs. Ivory Wedding Dress?
I've been doing some research online on wedding dresses, the thought never occurred to me that when it comes time to purchase a dress, I'll probably be given the option of white or ivory! What color wedding dress have you ladies purchased or are planning on purchasing, and why? Which color is the more flattering color? I've heard about stories of how the color white reflects 'purity' but do people actually still put that into consideration these days?

Marissa
Married: 10/05/2013
Reviews: 10
Posted On: Oct 30, 2012 at 8:23 PM • Vendors are allowed • Add to My WatchlistFlag As Inappropriate0 likes

15 Comments | Login or Signup to post a comment!

Married: 03/22/2013
Reviews: 6
Oct 30, 2012 at 8:33 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I didn't put any consideration into the 'purity' thing. I chose ivory. I have a lighter olive skin tone, so I went with ivory. It's a softer color, not as stark as white; that's why I chose ivory.

Married: 04/26/2013
Oct 30, 2012 at 8:35 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
If you're really pale, the ivory dress would look better on you. Darker tones can pick from either choices. White has come to mean more "first wedding" than anything. I'm wearing a white dress. I'm not a virgin, but it is my first and only wedding. I also look awesome in white. ;-)

Married: 10/12/2013
Reviews: 1
Oct 30, 2012 at 8:35 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I going white white... I've never really thought of getting another dress color.. I know ivory isn't that much of a difference but I just didn't like the way it looked one me... and also I like a lot of sparkle and I've come to find out that ivory tends to make the bling gold instead of sliver and it looks funny IMO.

And tradition says a virgin wear all white it is to show that she is pure for her husband.
and usually ivory was for people who were getting married for the 2nd time or what not... to my knowledge not alot of people still follow this but there may be a few who do.

Married: 11/24/2012
Oct 30, 2012 at 8:51 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I went with ivory because I just liked it better. It felt softer to me. This is my first marriage, I did not choose anything based on how "pure" I am or not, I just went with with whatever I liked. My grandmother wore an ivory dress as well, I don't think the color you wear reflects on any sort of purity issues. Even the Amish community wears a simple dress of color when they marry and they are certainly virgins when they do.

bre
Married: 06/15/2013
Oct 30, 2012 at 8:58 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
like everybody else said, it depends on your skin tone whether white or ivory would look best.
i was going to go with white, myself, but then realized i'm far too pale to wear white well, and as ivory would clash majorly (in my mind) with my color scheme, i'm going to wear a silver dress! i don't focus on the whole 'purity' thing or whatever... it's my wedding, i'm going to wear what i look good and feel comfortable in. (:

Amy A.
Married: 08/31/2013
Reviews: 5
Oct 30, 2012 at 9:02 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I went with white to show off my sweet tan. But really, not many people even notice a difference between the two.

Married: 09/01/2013
Oct 30, 2012 at 10:58 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I've been playing with the idea of a blue wedding gown. Mostly because I refuse to be totally traditional. Also, until the late 1800s brides wore colored gowns. It was Queen Victoria's wedding in 1840 that set the "white" trend.
There is an old poem about how the color of your wedding dress will influence your future: “Married in white, you will have chosen all right. Married in grey , you will go far away. Married in black, you will wish yourself back. Married in red, you’ll wish yourself dead. Married in blue, you will always be true. Married in pearl, you’ll live in a whirl. Married in green, ashamed to be seen, Married in yellow, ashamed of the fellow. Married in brown, you’ll live out of town. Married in pink, your spirits will sink.”
Honestly, its your wedding - do what you want. :)

Mrswilson2012
Married: 1+ year ago
Oct 30, 2012 at 11:04 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I went with white for my dress.

Ashley
Married: 05/22/2013
Reviews: 9
Oct 30, 2012 at 11:05 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I'm going with a white dress, I always pictured myself in a white dress for my wedding :) Plus the dress I chose if I went with ivory it would completely change the floral and sequinned pearls to a yellowish color and that's not so great.

2d Bride ®
Married: 10/06/2009
Oct 30, 2012 at 11:20 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
NotFroofy and I wore ivory dresses, just because we thought the color was more flattering on us. I suspect that most guests can't tell an ivory dress from a white one. As for the "purity" thing, my two grown children were my attendants. I figure that people could have guessed from that that I wasn't a virgin, regardless of the color of my dress. LOL

Married
Married: 05/04/2013
Reviews: 12
Oct 30, 2012 at 11:23 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I chose ivory but it's a really light ivory, I actually didn't realize the sample was ivory until I went to order and she asked if I wanted the same as the sample dress or in white. I'm a redhead and thus have pretty light skin, ivory looks much better on me than stark white.

I don't think the "purity" thing is as serious as it used to be. I have friends who wore white who maybe shouldn't have if you wanted to go the traditional pure route, and I have had friends who've picked ivory because they thought it flattered them more.
Edited On: Oct 30, 2012 at 11:25 PM

Married: 03/10/2013
Reviews: 5
Oct 31, 2012 at 12:10 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
I honestly didn't even noticed what color the dress was until my MOH said well that's an ivory dress. LOL

I am very fair with light eyes and I felt the white would have washed me out, plus I'm 33 I think white is out the game ;)

Married: 07/20/2013
Oct 31, 2012 at 12:28 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
In my opinion, it depends on your skin and also the type of dress more than purity and stuff. I chose white because ivory colors make me look like sick or something. Also the flowers in the dress looks better in a chalk white. AND my venue: it is very very green place so I love the contrast. I do see a difference in fabric details when they are white or ivory.. Do you have a picture of your dress?

Marissa
Married: 10/05/2013
Oct 31, 2012 at 1:34 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Thanks, everyone, for your inputs! I figured that not many people these days think about the 'purity' thing when buying a dress. @Sandra, I have yet to go dress shopping, but I assume with my naturally tan skin and dark hair/eyes, white might look best? We'll see when I start trying on dresses :)

I was just curious as to what everyone's intake on the topic was. I know of someone a couple years ago that was so gung-ho on buying a dress other than white b/c she wasn't a virgin (she already had a kid), she was saying "people will talk if I wear a white dress b/c of my situation." I didn't know people actually cared about that stuff...

But yes, from gathering all your inputs, it looks like a white colored dress might be the way to go, solely based on skin tone :)

Married: Recently Married
Reviews: 6
Oct 31, 2012 at 7:31 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
white
Login or Signup to post a comment!

Topics

Vow of Conduct