When should you have your cake tasting?
I'm getting married in June of next year. I keep getting phone calls for wedding cake vendors wanting me to come in for a cake tasting. The wedding's over 6 months away. What should I do? I would like to go to some of them, but some of them have a fee and if I don't choose them, I'll lose that money. HELP!!!

Married: 06/25/2010
Posted On: Sep 10, 2009 at 6:00 PM • Vendors are allowed • Add to My WatchlistFlag As Inappropriate1 like

16 Comments | Login or Signup to post a comment!

Future Mrs.
Married: 06/19/2010
Reviews: 6
Sep 10, 2009 at 6:09 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I am also getting married next June! Yay for June brides!! I had my cake tasting at the end of August. I don't think it really matters when you do just as long as you give the cake maker fair warning of what and when the cake is expected. My advice would to be go to the ones that don't charge you first, and make sure you go with idea of flavors that you might like to try and what you think you want it to look like and if you are not satisifed with any of those maybe make one or two appointments with the ones that have a fee.

Married: 06/12/2010
Sep 10, 2009 at 6:16 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I am getting married next june also. I scheduled my tasting for next week. I want to make sure that I have plenty of time to secure the date for the vender I want. I would hate for the vender that I want to be booked because I waited too long.

Married: 01/17/2010
Reviews: 7
Sep 10, 2009 at 6:17 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I agree with PP. Go to the free ones. I had my cake tasting last month for my January wedding. Nothing wrong with trying out who has what. The earlier you start, the more time you have to make a final decision!

Sep 10, 2009 at 6:20 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I didn't even think about what Meg said! Since June is a popular month to get married in, it's probably better to start sooner rather than later just to make sure that you get your date reserved!

Married: 06/25/2010
Sep 10, 2009 at 6:46 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
thanks guys. Who likes chocolate mousse and raspberry filling? I know that my top layer MUST be red velvet, we're still up in the air about the other flavors. Any ideas?

FMS, the barefoot wife!
Married: 2+ years ago
Reviews: 10
Sep 10, 2009 at 6:46 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
You could always voice your monetary concern to the baker, I understand that they are out so much of a product that cost them time and money, but you're trying to promote a buisness right? My sugesstion, vist the bakers that aren't charging a fee, then only visit the baker's who are charging you that you are adimant about trying, You can start doing cake tasting now if you like, I was informed by a cakery, that they only do tasting once a year, in march or april, and I kinda told them I most likely won't be able to get itme off work for that,as we are short staffed and thats our busy season..I was a tad miffed, especially when I'd have to drive 3 hours in the middle of winter to this once a year tasting..Just remember to keep very descriptive notes of who's flavor you liked and why, even rate them on a scale of 1 to 10

Sep 10, 2009 at 6:53 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I think raspberry filling is fairly common and the cakery should definitely have that as an option. When I went to the tasting that I bought my cake from I thought the raspberry from their place was overwhelming. We ended up going with a French Vanilla cake with fresh strawberries and champagne mousse filling! YUMMM! You just never know what you'll like until you go and try them out!

Married: 12/31/2009
Reviews: 5
Sep 10, 2009 at 7:09 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
is a cake tasting necessary? all the bakeries are not conveniently anywhere near us, and we have no car so when we go we're just telling them what we want and thats it.

Sep 10, 2009 at 7:33 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
It's not necessary, but since cakes can be pretty expensive it's nice to know that you are getting a really great tasting cake!
Also most bakeries offer some pretty different fillings (Hazelnut cream, strawberries and champagne, chocolate ganache)and even different types of cakes (French Vanilla, Almond, Rum, devils food, mocha, etc) and sometimes you just don't know what you'll like or not. Some of the ones that I thought I'd really like weren't as good as I thought they'd be. I was glad I went to my tasting.

Married: 05/24/2008
Sep 10, 2009 at 7:43 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
well when i did my cake testing i already had a bakery doing my cake so first you need to decied on a bakery. then when you do that you ask them what kind of cakes do they offer and at what price. then from there you can do a tasting i would think.

Future Mrs.
Married: 06/19/2010
Sep 11, 2009 at 2:27 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
i am having a cake that is two tiers for my and the fh on our 1 year and then the bottom will be for the wedding party, everyone else is getting cupcakes and they can chose from marble with choclate frosting, carrotcake with cream cheese frosting or lemon poppyseed with a vanilla frosting. the two tier is going to be marble with fudge filling!! it is sooo yummy!!

Cater It Simple
Sep 13, 2009 at 8:23 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
As a wedding cake maker, I strongly recommend to my brides that they sample at least 2 and preferably 3 different cakeries. As far as "how soon", we consider anything inside the 6-month window as a last minute bride. If you attend a tasting that charges a fee, find out if the fee applies to your order if you book with them. Most reputable bakers will do this.
Ironically, my latest blog entry addresses this very issue: http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/
Sep 13, 2009 at 8:27 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Most of my brides invite me to the cake tasting and it usually takes place about 6-7 months before their wedding date. As Debi B. stated, most brides sample at least 2-3 different cakeries.

Sylvia
http://www.40-40-40.com
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BQvWkErYAfQ

JJ
Sep 13, 2009 at 8:46 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
cake tastings are usually free. you should not have to pay a fee. why pay a fee when there are so many that are free? you can look around 5 months before. It was actually one of the first things that we booked. and we booked it around 7 months before.

Future Mrs. Menasco
Sep 13, 2009 at 8:51 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Well I am not doing cake tastings at all because a family friend is making my cake and her cakes are great. Lucky I know what her cakes taste like and I know how good they are.

Married: 05/28/2010
Sep 13, 2009 at 10:53 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
My wedding is in May and we are scheduled for our tasting next week. The venue gave us a choice of 2 cakeries to choose from, of which they include the cake in our quote and they suggested we make the appt. now to choose a cakery. There wasnt a fee for the tasting so we are really looking forward to having some "different" flavors in our tiers. I thought this was a little early but by looking at some of the timelines, around 7 months seems to be the norm.
Login or Signup to post a comment!

Topics

Vow of Conduct