LaKiesha
Expert June 2012

Wedding consignment shop...

LaKiesha, on Dec 10, 2011 at 8:38 PM Posted in Planning

Do you have in your area or would you shop at a wedding consignment shop that offered decorations, dress, and all things wedding? The FH and I were thinking about looking into opening one in our area. We have used wedding dress shop around here but not any place that sales used vase, slik flowers, table cloths, and such. I don't know just something we are thinking about and wanted to get opinion from some brides.

Share:

17 Comments

• Kelley
    Super May 2012
    Kelley ·

I think it's a good idea. I wish there was one around me.

• Celia Milton
    Celia Milton ·

I love the idea. There is a dress store in my area, (North NJ) that has a gorgeous assortment of gowns and accessories.

• Linda E: Fairy Godmother
    Master September 2012
    Linda E: Fairy Godmother ·

What a wonderful project to get in to! I will bet you would have a lot of business if you carry silk centerpieces - I could not find any in my area and that is why I am making all of me.

Good luck to you!

• Anonymous
    VIP October 2012
    Anonymous ·

I would be all over that if there was one near us!

• Jessica
    Master September 2017
    Jessica ·

Sounds like a wonderful idea.

• Puffins
    Master November 2012
    Puffins ·

I would love it.

• Karen
    VIP June 2012
    Karen ·

Have you been on recycledbride ? It's a great idea, I say go for it!

• Juliette S
    Master February 2012
    Juliette S ·

My best friend (MOH) and I have been talking about the same thing

• 2d Bride
    Master October 2009
    2d Bride ·

We bought our dresses and veils from a wedding consignment store. I don't know to what extent we would have bought decorations from one, though. Given the large numbers of items (e.g., vases) any one couple might use, I would think it would be hard to maintain both the quantity and the variety necessary in any one brick and mortar store.

• Marie S. (aka Princess Leia)
    Master October 2012
    Marie S. (aka Princess Leia) ·

Yup - I'm doing it - have amassed a huge inventory too boot. I'm looking for a rental property now with plans to open in March but I'm pretty specific with my inventory - no flowers and limited linens as both are too much too deal with. The flowers IMHO take up too much real estate to carry a proper inventory to satisfy different tastes and the linens well each piece needs to be inspected to ensure they're not stained, plus they have to be ironed and quite frankly are cheap enough on line elsewhere that I would have to sell gazillions of them to turn profit. But the common items - vases, votives, bubbles, vase fillers, candy buffet, cupcake towers, table # holders, etc - yup got it. I've also started negotiations w/ some Chinese Vendors so I have the quantities.

Master October 2012

The thing to keep in mind though, is that the Bride who will be coming to your store is either very frugal or on a budget or maybe even both. She's done her research on what it costs new. A mentor of mine said a long time ago - You make your profit on the purchase not the sale. So when you're buying stuff from a Bride, the toughest part is getting her down to a price that you can resell for profit. A Bride who is selling her stuff is trying to recoup what she spent or worse has an emotional attachment to the item and feels that she should be able to get 75% of the original cost. I've been haggling with some royal PITA Brides who think their centerpieces are worth that because everyone told them How Gorgeous it was. Ugh.

If you'd like to bounce some ideas off me, feel free to PM me. I've got 20 yrs sales & marketing experience and have owned several businesses over the years as well. Be happy to help you get your ideas together. :-)

• Pink Bride
    Super September 2012
    Pink Bride ·

Marie, I live in PA and would love to stop by your shop when it's done! Could you keep me posted?

Master October 2012

:-) Of course! I just sent you a friend invite.

• Amanda
    Master July 2012
    Amanda ·

I would totally shop there. We have a used bridal gown shop, but no place that sells other wedding items.

• Kimberly S  ( formerly Kimberly L )
    Master June 2012
    Kimberly S ( formerly Kimberly L ) ·

Sounds like an awesome idea!

• Celia Milton
    Celia Milton ·

When I was expanding my practice to include other officiants I found the most successful person doing what I wanted to do and offered to pay her, by the hour, to teach me what she knew. It was the best money I ever spent. There are several vendors here, and there is one in NJ too.

I'd stick with dresses and accessories.

• T
    Just Said Yes August 2018
    Tina ·
    Did you ever start your shop

Comment on this discussion