Unique Ceremony Rituals
Neither of us really like unity candles or pouring sand, but I'm sure there are tons of other rituals that people do, right? What awesome thing are you doing during the ceremony?

Married: 11/09/2013
Reviews: 6
Edited On: Jun 17, 2012 at 6:19 PM
Posted On: Jun 17, 2012 at 6:16 PM • Vendors are allowed • Add to My WatchlistFlag As Inappropriate0 likes

36 Comments | Login or Signup to post a comment!
«12»

Married: 10/27/2012
Jun 17, 2012 at 6:30 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Our entire ceremony in its entirity is different and unique. We will be entering from the East, the dawning of a new day - the reference to the dawning of a new marriage, thus the getting married in a married and burying our past behind and as this is the begginning of new life together as well. We are also doing a handfasting, with all 13 colors as each color itself stands for something specific, red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple, black, white, gray, pink, brown, silver and gold. As well the number 13 has a lot of significance throughout the ceremony as you can tell with the 13 colors, our ceremony starts at 5:13 pm, I have 13 flowers in my bouquet, there will be 13 little sets of flower lining the aisle way, and there will be other little pops of 13 throughout.

Married: 06/30/2012
Reviews: 5
Jun 17, 2012 at 6:32 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
We are doing a quilt wrapping. While pieces of fabric didn't come from friends and family, we still like the idea because both our mothers and grandmothers (and myself) are quilters. Plus, our guest book is a quilt that they'll sign blocks for.

Robin A.
Married: 07/28/2012
Jun 17, 2012 at 6:50 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
FH and I also didn't feel the unity ceremony. Just didn't feel like us. We are doing a hands ceremony that we found already written by an unknown:

Please face each other and take each other’s hands, so that you may see the gift that they are to you. These are the hands of your best friend, young and strong and full of love for you, that are holding yours on your wedding day as you promise to love each other today, tomorrow and forever. These are the hands that will work alongside yours as together you build your future.

These are the hands that will passionately love you and cherish you through the years, and with the slightest touch will comfort you like no other. These are the hands that will hold you when fear or grief temporarily comes to you. These are the hands that will countless times wipe the tears from your eyes, tears of sorrow and tears of joy.
Cont.

Robin A.
Jun 17, 2012 at 6:51 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
CONT.
These are the hands that will give you strength when you need it, support and encouragement to pursue your dreams, and comfort through difficult times.

And lastly, these are the hands that even when wrinkled and aged will still be reaching for yours, still giving you the same unspoken tenderness with just a touch.

Married: 09/15/2012
Jun 17, 2012 at 6:53 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
We are doing a lei exchange ceremony to honour my Hawaiian heritage as well as a sand ceremony, but the sand ceremony will not be done until the reception. We are also doing the hand ceremony!!

Married: 08/24/2013
Reviews: 7
Jun 17, 2012 at 6:55 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
We are going to do a rose ceremony. Basically there will be a large vase and two smaller vases on either side which will each hold a single rose. We will give a rose to our immediate love ones who will at the appropriate time place them in the large vase at which time the officiant or designee will take the single roses and give one each to myself and my husband. Then he and I will exchange it, symbolizing our first gift to each other as man and wife that of love (red rose = love) and then we will each place our gift in the large vase among the others.

Wedding: 11/21/2015
Jun 17, 2012 at 7:25 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
We are doing a sand ceremony, but using an hourglass. I haven't seen it done but I think it's a beautiful concept.

Anonymous
Married: 1+ year ago
Jun 17, 2012 at 7:35 PM • 
This post has been hidden by the author.
Hidden On: Oct 09, 2012 at 1:40 PM

Married: 11/09/2013
Jun 17, 2012 at 7:39 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Tami, I really like that take on the unity candle. I've never seen it done that way, but I really like the way that your two flames come from all of your friends and family before they become one. I think that adds a lot to the candles :)

Married: 07/24/2010
Jun 17, 2012 at 7:48 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I thought the unity candles were always lit by the families, then taken by the bride and groom to light their candle together.

Michelle
Married: 10/06/2012
Jun 17, 2012 at 8:06 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
We re doing a ring warming ceremony :) Google it! It's really neat

Jun 17, 2012 at 8:42 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
We are doing a unity cross.

Tiny Dancer
Married: 1+ year ago
Jun 17, 2012 at 8:48 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Wine Box Love Letter Ceremony over here :-) Just ordered my box from Etsy today!

Get a box, get some wine, put the wine in the box.. write each other letters to be opened on a pre-selected anniversary. Lock the box at the ceremony… and you're done.

It's also an in case of emergency box. If our relationship is on the rocks then we're supposed to crack it open, read the love letters and try to re-connect. We got a box that locks rather than one that is nailed shut (as the proper tradition dictates) so that we can keep it going. After we open it, we'll write new letters to each other and then wait another 5 years.

Married: 08/11/2012
Jun 17, 2012 at 9:02 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
we are doing the unity candle in addition the the 3 cord strand ceremony

http://www.godsknot.com/CordOfThreeStrands.aspx

Brittany
Married: 08/31/2013
Jun 17, 2012 at 9:16 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Robin, that hands ceremony sounds incredible!

Robin A.
Jun 17, 2012 at 9:21 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I love the ring warming ceremony too, Michelle! I thought that might be a nice idea, but we ended up electing the hand ceremony instead.

Also, thank you Brittany, we are excited for our ceremony!
Edited On: Jun 17, 2012 at 9:21 PM

Married: 08/11/2012
Jun 17, 2012 at 9:24 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
The hand ceremony sounds awesome!

Ester, that is a beatiful cross, what is the meaning behins it, I have never heard of it?

Married: 05/05/2012
Jun 17, 2012 at 9:26 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
We did an earth-mixing ceremony. We gatherered earth from all the homes each of us had ever lived in (even gathered earth from his childhood home on our trip to Chicago last year), and then we mixed the earth together in a single jar. During it, officiant said:

Edited On: Jun 17, 2012 at 9:27 PM

Married: 05/05/2012
Jun 17, 2012 at 9:28 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
The unity ceremony is a tradition of modern weddings, symbolizing becoming one in commitment. For their unity ceremony, Eric and Melanie have chosen to combine earth from places they were raised throughout their life, commemorating the separate paths that led them to be together here today. --then listed off all places we collected earth-- As you are now man and wife, never able to be divided, so too the mixing of your family soil can never be separated. You are now of one heart, mind and soul.
Edited On: Jun 17, 2012 at 9:31 PM

Mrs. Reese's Pieces
Married: 10/20/2012
Reviews: 10
Jun 17, 2012 at 9:35 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Oooo... good suggestions are being brought in here!!

I'm totally loving the ring warming ceremony and the hands ceremony.... will definitely have to run these by the fiance! :)

Thanks for posting this Mika!! (PS Mika: I totally love that your avatar is Mr. Salt & Mrs. Pepper from Blues Clues LOL)
Login or Signup to post a comment!
«12»

Topics

Vow of Conduct