Tree Unity Ceremony?
Hey!
We are doing a 'grow with love' type theme(ish) at the wedding, and are planning on including a tree-planting ceremony as our unity thing instead of a candle or sand. (the ceremony will be taking place outside) We are planting it in a pot so we can take it back home later and plant it in our yard. I've seen a couple things here and there about this on different websites, but I was just wondering if anyone here had done one at their wedding, or have seen one done? I suppose I'm just looking for some anecdotes about how it went to make sure I set ours up to go smoothly.
I hope this all made some sort of sense!

Married: 06/08/2013
Reviews: 1
Posted On: Apr 28, 2013 at 2:53 AM • Vendors are allowed • Add to My WatchlistFlag As Inappropriate0 likes

12 Comments | Login or Signup to post a comment!

Married: 03/29/2014
Apr 28, 2013 at 2:57 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
I like the the whole tree idea...I never heard of it done before so I think it is an unique way of unity...a tree does represent life...

Suggestions: pick a tree that is symbolic and best relates to you and your FH...

Wedding: 08/09/2015
Apr 28, 2013 at 2:58 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
My aunt did something like this. They had a little tree in a pot (in a church) and they each took a handful of dirt from a separate container and put it into the pot with the tree. (they had like little wipes to clean their hands afterwards)

Then they planted it in their backyard a few days later
Edited On: Apr 28, 2013 at 2:58 AM

Apr 28, 2013 at 3:00 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Thank you Andre'ya! Yep, we are going with a dogwood tree since we live in NC, I love them and so does FH, and they are so pretty in the spring. I'm getting a later-blooming variety so hopefully it will be in at least partial bloom at the ceremony.

Abby- I was thinking something similar, but just having little jars and kind of pouring the dirt into the pot so we don't have to touch it with our hands... dirty hands plus white dress is my main stressball over this!

Apr 28, 2013 at 3:06 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Dogwoods are definitely beautiful trees...I live in GA and my neighbor has two of them and I like looking at them in bloom...are you guys having some kind of ribbon or decoration attached to the plant? Sorry if I'm jumping ahead of you....

Wedding: 08/09/2015
Apr 28, 2013 at 3:07 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
I like the idea of little jars. And I agree with Andre'ya...a tree that actually means something will be a nice extra touch

Apr 28, 2013 at 3:11 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
If I was to do a tree ceremony I would do a tree that can bloom in the harshest of weathers because recently my FH was laid off and by far that was the hardest part of our relationship... having to trust and rely on each other and love each other... I lost mine right before his and I found out I had developed seizures...just a life example

Apr 28, 2013 at 3:13 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
My colors are yellow and white, so I will get a pot that is one of those two colors, or paint a plain one, and maybe to a ribbon in the opposite color.

Long-run, I'm hoping we will be able to take a picture in front of the tree every year on our anniversary, it will be fun to look back and watch our tree and our family grow.

Apr 28, 2013 at 3:16 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Oh that is a wonderful sentiment Andre'ya. Something to think about, for sure. There aren't very many winter-blooming trees, at least ones that stay about the size that I am looking for. Best of luck to you and your FH, the job market right now is incredibly frustrating, I know! And I hope the seizures aren't too serious, that sounds scary.

Apr 28, 2013 at 3:20 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Thanks...your colors sound awesome by the way

Apr 28, 2013 at 3:20 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Apr 28, 2013 at 12:20 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Instead of using dirt and getting messy, just water the tree. I've done it several times with trees, orchids, flower seeds.

The 2 of you can combine your containers of water into a third & then water the tree/plant.

Apr 28, 2013 at 12:57 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Good idea Nancy, I was thinking about having a little yellow watering can as well so we could water it after we put our little bits of dirt in the planter.
Login or Signup to post a comment!

Topics

Vow of Conduct