Thursday Wedding?
Today my FH & I met with our venue coordinator to finalize our ceremony site. (We have booked a private events venue that is in a public park with the plans for an outdoor ceremony) We found the perfect spot and even decided on a time. A short while later we received an email from our venue coordinator that they have notified the city and were informed the city is hosting an Art Fair that day. When we booked we were well aware of the possibility of an event but deep down I never really thought the universe would make it happen. We are pretty much limited to that weekend due to FH's family traveling from UK & their Easter break & the weekend before is Easter itself (big no no). So we booked Sunday - Saturday was booked when we originally met. Friday is the 13th (eek) so what about Thursday? 70% of our guests are traveling but I really don't think it is that much to ask people to take off a day or two. Thoughts?

Married: 04/06/2012
Reviews: 5
Posted On: May 17, 2011 at 8:55 PM • Add to My WatchlistFlag As Inappropriate1 like

19 Comments | Login or Signup to post a comment!
«12»

Married: 08/17/2011
May 17, 2011 at 8:58 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I think since most of your guests are traveling, a Thursday wedding shouldn't be a problem. I'm having mine on Wednesday because it was more convenient and every has to travel anyway.

Married: 11/13/2011
Reviews: 6
May 17, 2011 at 8:59 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
i agree. It shouldnt be too difficult since they will be traveling anyways.

Married: 07/15/2011
Reviews: 3
May 17, 2011 at 9:01 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
It really depends on your guests' schedule. Thursday would generally be a huge inconvenience for most guests. Most of my guests, for example, don't get paid time off. You have to consider if they're traveling, now it means they have to take Wed, Thurs and Friday off, when for a Saturday they would only have needed to take Friday off.

I personally don't see a problem with the 13th, but I'm not particularly superstitious.

Married: 09/10/2011
May 17, 2011 at 9:22 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I'm with Jennifer B, I don't see anything wrong with having it on the 13th! I think it may actually be fun to tie superstitions into your wedding day. Like for the table numbers have a superstition description or things that have happened on past Friday the 13ths. But then again I don't really buy into all the superstitious stuff so it's not such a huge deal for me.

Married: 04/06/2012
May 17, 2011 at 9:26 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Oh what a cute idea, J.J! Another downside to Friday is the place next door is a huge hotspot for HH - there are curtains that can be put around the patio for privacy but I'm worried about the disruption during the ceremony, which would probably be at 6 pm. So torn! Mainly, I am so stressed about all the nay-sayers - everyone has an opinion and it's like Saturdays are the only days that all support. Ugh.

Married: 11/05/2011
May 17, 2011 at 9:38 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I'd go with the 13th too. Asking people to take two whole days off to travel for your wedding is kind of a big deal.

Married: 06/23/2012
May 17, 2011 at 9:42 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I think the idea tha J.J. had was really neat. I don't think anything would be wrong with Friday the 13th. Thursday may not work for some of your guests if they have to take additional time off from work. I am sure that you will make the best decision for your situation :)

Married: 10/01/2011
Reviews: 18
May 17, 2011 at 9:47 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I also vote for the 13th. It would be fun to poke fun at a superstition.

Good luck with your decision. It is a tough one for sure.

May 17, 2011 at 9:47 PM • 
This post has been hidden by the author.
Hidden On: May 17, 2011 at 9:47 PM

May 17, 2011 at 9:48 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
OMG....what the heck happened. Sorry ladies, I will get rid of those. Oh heck, it won't let me do it. Darn internet.
Edited On: May 17, 2011 at 9:49 PM

Married: 01/05/2012
Reviews: 1
May 17, 2011 at 9:50 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Actually, Thursday's not a bad idea.. hotel and travel rates will probably be a lot lower making traveling less expensive for your guests, plus your rental rate might actually be lower! People like a good reason to take a vacation anyway, right? ;)

Married: 2+ years ago
May 18, 2011 at 12:04 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
We booked our wedding on a thursday....and found that there we great perks...such as a huge $2000 discount...among other discounts for having it on a Thursday! You may want to ask your reception/ceremony venue if there are any discounts to switching to a thursday. And the people who are willing to take that extra day off and attend your wedding are the people who really tried and really wanted to be there...you know who your family are and they will try to make it to your wedding no matter the day of the week.

Sasha
Married: 05/01/2011
May 18, 2011 at 3:22 AM • 
This post has been flagged by the WeddingWire Community and is now hidden.

May 18, 2011 at 1:32 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
i agree wholeheartedly with melissa. my wedding will be on a monday night which means tons of money saving for us, and the people that really care and want to come will make it happen. As for the others? hopefully they will politely decline, and send a gift ;-)
yes, ask the venue about thur, they don't normally get much business on that day and may give you a discount!
ppl (esp family) love to give their opinions about weddings, but just stand your ground and do what you want, it's your day :)

Reviews: 3
May 18, 2011 at 1:35 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I think if you don't have a lot of out of town guests that are within a few hours it would work ok to do Thursday. If most of your guests are WAY out of town and coming for the week and the rest are local, it wouldn't be too bad.

But I do agree with Carole (all 5 times) that it can be an inconvience if they aren't staying that amount of time anyway.

MrsHaire
Married: 09/14/2011
May 18, 2011 at 1:38 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Our wedding is on a wednesday and all of my family is traveling, let me tell u, having a weekday wedding you will find that lots of things are extreamly cheapp!!

J&R
May 18, 2011 at 2:59 PM • 
This post has been flagged by the WeddingWire Community and is now hidden.
Login or Signup to post a comment!
«12»

Topics

Vow of Conduct