Screw renting chairs...Im doing haybales!!!
I have decided that since my ceremony is outside on the farm that I am going to save money by using haybales for my guests to sit on rather than chairs. I want to cover the haybales with something that is white...like a sheet or something, but that would get expensive and i wanted to cover each haybale individually to make it look nicer. I dont want to spend an arm an a leg just to cover haybales though, so what can i find or make that would be cheap but keep my guests from getting a scratchy a**? Here are some pics of what i would like to do. Also this is just for my ceremony. My reception will be indoors with chairs lol!

Married: 08/27/2011
Reviews: 5
Posted On: Sep 8, 2010 at 10:09 AM • Vendors are allowed • Add to My WatchlistFlag As Inappropriate1 like

20 Comments | Login or Signup to post a comment!
«12»

Married: 09/10/2011
Sep 08, 2010 at 10:11 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
You can get inexpensive sheets at Dollar stores. Or maybe try to hit up Joanns or Hobby Lobby when they have fabric on sale.

Meghan
Married: 08/20/2011
Reviews: 3
Sep 08, 2010 at 10:15 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Even with the fabric, bits of hay will stick through and your guests may not be too comfortable- but it won't be for long periods of time anyway.

I'd try to hit some serious sales at a fabric store. If you are ordering enough fabric, they may cut you a deal since it will be a special order.
Sep 08, 2010 at 10:23 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
I read your profile a) Because I figured when I read that, that you would be from PA - seeing all the hay bales around here! b) to see if you had an idea of how many people would be at your wedding. You have in there 300-400 people! That's going to be a LOT of fabric to cover the bales!!! You're probably going to end up with about the same cost as a chair rental. And... being in August, it could be hot and sweaty, you'll have to cover the bales all the way to the ground so that like you said, you aren't getting itchy butt/legs from it. Also remember... hay is grass, and a lot of people are allergic to grass.

Lauren
Married: 10/16/2011
Sep 08, 2010 at 10:26 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
lots and lots of fabric.. i'd go with a thicker fabric not just a tiny sheet but that could get even more expensive. I agree with matt^ about covering the whole thing. you figure at least a dollar or $2 per hay bail cover and that could get expensive $$$ cute idea though

Lauren
Married: 10/16/2011
Sep 08, 2010 at 10:29 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
maybe if this doesnt work you could rent benches instead of chairs... more room for people to sit. idk how much that would cost though

Meghan
Married: 08/20/2011
Reviews: 3
Honestly, I'd rent the chairs. As someone with severe allergies- the sheets won't protect that. And making me sit on grass- as cool as the visual would be- bad idea. And with 300 people at the wedding- chairs!

You can get some close friends who aren't in the wedding party to move the chairs inside after the ceremony so you don't have to double up on the rental.

Married: 01/23/2011
We had thought about this when we were planning an outdoor wedding (which changed when we moved our date up to march) because my parents have a couple of horses and our ceremony was going to be about 40-50 people.
Then we realized May would be a hard month to get hay :/
Also if you don't already have hay (straw might be better for allergies!!) you would have to purchase (or maybe borrow??) it and that is about $2-6 per bale.You may be able to seat 2 people per bale though.
Rental chairs are $0.85-3.00 here......
As far as how to cover them,you can by Muslin pretty cheap that is bleached out and tie it on each side with colored Tulle or ribbons.

Sep 08, 2010 at 10:31 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Yep good ol' Pa haha! I do have about 300 invited to the reception...only about 150 to the ceremony though, sorry I didnt clarify that in my profile! I know it is a lot and will be a lot of work, but i still think the haybale idea will look really cute! Everybody that is invited to my wedding is either a farmer or grew up on a farm so i dont think that will be a problem. And my ceremony is going to be really short 20 minutes tops!

Unique
Married: 02/11/2010
Sep 08, 2010 at 10:32 AM • 
This post has been flagged by the WeddingWire Community and is now hidden.

Sep 08, 2010 at 10:32 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
This site has Muslin pretty cheap:

http://www.save-on-crafts.com/whmubo10co45.html

You could cut it up to fit over your bales-I really would suggest straw vs hay because I think it's cheaper and you may be able to borrow it from a local farmer.

Sep 08, 2010 at 10:37 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
As you can see in the last picture you posted,they have the bales tipped up on their sides and not flat down-this makes them higher to sit on.

Married: 02/18/2013
Reviews: 1
Sep 08, 2010 at 10:37 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
oh my word... that is so STINKIN cute.... wow thats awesome

Sep 08, 2010 at 10:39 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Thank you Denee I will check out the site! We can get bales off the farm for free....FS family has over a 400 acre farm and then my family also lives on a small farm so the hay isnt a problem....im not sure if it is hay or straw though...i will have to ask!

Sep 08, 2010 at 10:44 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Denee that will work perfect!! Thank you so much!!! That is the price I was looking for! I didnt want to spend like 5 bucks per yard and didnt know what kind of material to get! And good ideal about standing them up! I did not notice that in the picture!!

Sep 08, 2010 at 10:46 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
See,and your wedding is during hay season,so that helps too!
I would do-but maybe get a clear picture of serious allergies??
I really think fresh straw would be less allergy producing though...
Most people can tolerate (unless the allergy is severe!) sitting near or on hay as long as it is covered and not being tossed around (when the dust and flakes are strewn into the air..)

Sep 08, 2010 at 10:56 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
I know it is working out so well with it being in hay season and all! I love fresh hay!! If they are all farmers I would think they could tolerate it since they deal with it almost every day. I plan on spreading the word that they will be setting on haybales so they can prepare for it if needed. Like take an allergy pill before they come or something. I am so excited to do this!

Married: 02/18/2013
Reviews: 1
Sep 08, 2010 at 11:01 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
you should be excited that is freaking cute! I still love the idea and now want to have my wedding at a farm so I cant steal this :o)

Private User
Married: 2+ years ago
Sep 08, 2010 at 11:06 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
I think it's very cute, and hopefully it's enough comfy! :)

Sep 08, 2010 at 11:07 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Lol Shauna you should do it! Even if it isnt at a farm you could still decorate with haybales since your wedding is in the fall!!

Married: 09/14/2013
Apr 04, 2012 at 11:41 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Just invade use this as a reference wood planks will help too just
Login or Signup to post a comment!
«12»

Topics

Vow of Conduct