RSVP wording question
So we're having a seated dinner but we've chosen 1 entree for everybody, a beef dish..sooo good at the tasting! However, we will of course have a vegetarian option available and we know of at least one person that requires gluten free. FMIL and FH both think that on the RSVP card we should have something on there about dietary requirements with a check box or something for those options. I think we're opening a HUGE can of worms by doing that. Not to mention that we've NEVER received a wedding invitation with that option on the RSVP...it's always just been the main menu option.

Do you think we should include or exclude? Here is what we were thinking of saying.

irin997
Married: 06/18/2011
Reviews: 6
Posted On: Dec 2, 2010 at 10:06 AM • Vendors are allowed • Add to My WatchlistFlag As Inappropriate1 like

11 Comments | Login or Signup to post a comment!

Married: 07/10/2011
Reviews: 5
Dec 02, 2010 at 10:09 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
I agree with you. I have certain requirements and I have friends that are vegetarian. They usually mention it to you and most weddings usually at least have a vegetarian option. If you put it on there and the place makes a mistake are you held accountable then?

irin997
Married: 06/18/2011
Reviews: 6
Dec 02, 2010 at 10:10 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
I feel like if someone is a vegetarian, they are going to let us know. We know 1 person that is gluten free. Why should we make a huge deal when someone that MUST eat a different meal will let us know? Or am I in the wrong here?

Shannon S.
Married: 2+ years ago
Dec 02, 2010 at 10:26 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
When I plan events for work, I include language saying something like, "Please inform us if you have any food allergies, are a vegetarian or have religion-based dietary restrictions." In other words, if something will make you puke, or violate your religion, we'll work with it. But if you don't like broccoli? Suck it up, buttercup. Also, most venues are prepared for this sort of thing. Heck, GW University was able to work with my conference attendee who was on a low-acid vegetarian diet.

Married: 07/08/2010
Reviews: 4
Dec 02, 2010 at 10:31 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
I probably wouldn't mention it on the card. Most people that have some type of dietary issue will reach out to you and let you know. You are right that it will open a can of worms. You may get many people that otherwise wouldn't have said anything but will now let you know that they don't like "white rice" :-)

Married: 07/08/2010
Reviews: 4
Dec 02, 2010 at 10:31 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Oh, but if you decide to put it, your wording is good.

Private User
Dec 02, 2010 at 10:33 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
oh that's a hard one, for all I know I have more vegeterians on my list than anyone, but I know most of them do eat fish, that's why we're doing fish as well and salads, but as for our RSVP, we're only putting 2 options, Fish and chicken, we're thinking about adding a third choice for those that won't eat fish at all. We'll decide after we sit down with the caterer.

We're plan on differentiating them by the place cards, they will be color coordinated to the meal they've chosen.

As for the RSVP, I don't think it's necessary to add that option especially if you only know one person, I know it could be very dangerous if the person is allergic but it's not necessary because there's gonna be other people allergic to other products and this is too big of an event for you to take that responsibility in your hand. My friends who have food allergies, when they go to an event, they usually ask the servers if the food contain whatever they're allergic to and if it does, they...cont

Private User
Dec 02, 2010 at 10:36 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
they usually go back and prepare something without the ingredient, I think it is the person's responsibility to watch out for what they eat if they have any restrictions. And all caterers know this sort of things are bound to happen and they will be prepared for it.

Reviews: 3
Dec 02, 2010 at 11:05 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I would think that if someone has a diet restriction they would hopefully let you know. However, the wording you have chosen is pretty adequate and if you feel uncomfortable without giving the option of gluten free/vegetarian then just go for it.
Honestly I think wedding etiquette has too many limitations and restrictions. It's your wedding and your guests so whatever you feel most comfortable with just go for it.

Amy "Been here too long" W.
Married: 11/05/2011
Reviews: 7
Dec 02, 2010 at 11:40 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I think your wording is great. Since you aren't mentioning the details of the meal i don't think people will include likes/dislikes. If they do just ignore it.

Married: 09/04/2011
Reviews: 5
Dec 02, 2010 at 11:45 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I agree with your FS. If I was invited to a wedding I wouldn't tell them I can't have dairy. I would just pick around and try and find something I could eat, or pick at my food. (I have a friend who if they don't mention it on invites eats on the way to the wedding because she can't have gluton) You don't have to list them all, but writing on the invite to let you know if there are any other dietary restrictions would be a nice gesture. We have having 3 options, a fish, a pork and a veggie dinner that is also gluton and dairy free - that was a hard one to do - but if the airlines could do it so could we :-)

Married: 02/05/2011
Dec 02, 2010 at 11:59 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I did online RSVPs which had a nice comment box. So I just had the box and said "List any specific dietary needs". I really liked having a comment box. Because there are a lot more food allergies and such out there. I know some people have onion allergies and all sorts of little strange things they are allergic to. So the comment box where they just wrote whatever their need was worked great.

LIU
Married: 01/01/1987
Jan 24, 2011 at 3:17 AM • 
This post has been flagged by the WeddingWire Community and is now hidden.

shen
Married: 01/26/2011
Jan 27, 2011 at 9:31 PM • 

fsdf
Married: 02/11/2011
Feb 05, 2011 at 11:09 AM • 

bing
Married: 03/16/2011
Mar 15, 2011 at 10:08 PM • 

bing

bing
Login or Signup to post a comment!

Topics

Vow of Conduct