Reception Ideas =]
so i've seen some people on here talk about how some receptions are a waste of time. That scares me a bit...i'm on a tight budget and I don't want people being that way =[
any ideas on foods?
it's not going to be a sit down dinner, it's going to be finger foods

Spike
Married: 07/15/2012
Posted On: Nov 22, 2011 at 3:49 PM • Vendors are allowed • Add to My WatchlistFlag As Inappropriate1 like

108 Comments | Login or Signup to post a comment!

Carrie
Married: 2+ years ago
Nov 22, 2011 at 3:56 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I've been to many weddings that were just finger food. They were in the afternoon though - most of the complaints on this board is when people only serve finger foods during a meal time. From seeing on the blogs having lawn games (bocci ball, ladder ball, cornhole etc) seems popular.

That one chick who's married to that one dude
Reviews: 5
Nov 22, 2011 at 3:58 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
If you truly want to do an appetizer reception, you will want to have it during non meal times. But at the same time, you can be out more money doing finger foods than a small meal. You can do something as simple as a meat, 2 sides, a salad and that's it. You don't have to go all out for it.

Ashley
Married: 12/03/2011
Nov 22, 2011 at 4:00 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Like Carrie said - finger foods are totally acceptable as long as your reception isn't during a normal mealtime. There are TONS of great mid-afternoon reception ideas floating around this board.
Nov 22, 2011 at 4:01 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I don't think they are a waste of time at all! I love the idea of an all hors d'oeuvres reception, but as many people have said, it's not always a cost saver.

If you do an afternoon with the lawn games (or one of my couples did board games on all the cocktail tables; it sounds corny, but people really got into them!), you could do finger food and a pretty sandwich basket with punch and champagne; sounds very nice!

Married: 07/14/2012
Nov 22, 2011 at 4:13 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
my cousin only had finger foods at her wedding but what made it work was the fact that she had like a million different types of options. There was so much that people did get full. It was very spendy she said to do it that way.

The Polka Dot Queen ©
Reviews: 2
Nov 22, 2011 at 4:19 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
It all depends on what time your ceremony is. My brother's original plan was to have an afternoon wedding, have a break for pictures and then have people back for desserts and dancing. Soooo rude. We are having an evening wedding with desserts and dancing to follow.

Spike
Nov 22, 2011 at 4:36 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
well there is a place that we def want to book, and it's affordable. But no caterers allowed...they cook everything. All we have to bring in is the cake
we just tell them the foods we want
but the wedding is going to be a 6 pm
me and my FH r going to go out to get a real meal after the wedding as our first meal as a marries couple

Married: 09/29/2012
Reviews: 1
Nov 22, 2011 at 4:37 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Morgan, I know that you want to have an evening reception, but you are honestly going to have to decide what is more important: the time or the money. If the 6:00 time is a definite and you won't budge, you are going to have to find a way to feed people enough that they aren't going to be hungry. If you are looking to save money, have the wedding reception in the middle of the afternoon (like from 2-4) and serve heavy appetizers or sandwiches, fruit and veggies. Another possibility is to have the reception even later, like 7 or 8 and then do the dessert only thing.

The most IMPORTANT thing is to make sure your guests know this ahead of time! Just take the time to put on the invite something like "ceremony will be followed by a light reception/desserts and champagne." and put what you are serving on your website. I don't want to sound like I'm being mean, but a lot of other people agree that your guests are doing a lot to come, they deserve to be treated well.
Edited On: Nov 22, 2011 at 4:46 PM

The Polka Dot Queen ©
Reviews: 2
Nov 22, 2011 at 4:38 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
6pm, people are going to be hungry (especially if you're having a dance). Finger foods, in quantity can satisfy that, but you need to make sure that you don't let your guests go hungry.

Nov 22, 2011 at 4:39 PM • 
This post has been hidden by the author.
Hidden On: Nov 22, 2011 at 4:40 PM

KitCat
Married: 08/25/2012
Nov 22, 2011 at 4:41 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
My fiance wants to do little tea sandwiches. He makes the best for when it's my month to host Bunco. :D They aren't messy, they can be filling, and you can have so much variety. Wonderful little things.

Spike
Nov 22, 2011 at 4:45 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
so far here's what we are telling them we want
hot wings
regular wi
Edited On: Nov 22, 2011 at 5:00 PM

Spike
Nov 22, 2011 at 4:45 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
what are tea sandwiches?

Carrie
Nov 22, 2011 at 4:52 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
6pm is dinner time... Keep in mind your guests will also have to travel and get ready so it could be a long time without a proper food. Since you mentioned you are on a tight budget you really should check with your venue about doing a meal (buffet/sit down) verses having enough finger foods to make a meal. If you chose to do light refreshments during a meal time please warn your guests and don't expect them to stay long.

You would be much better off moving the start time up to 2pm or 3pm.
Edited On: Nov 22, 2011 at 4:54 PM

Ashley
Married: 12/03/2011
Nov 22, 2011 at 5:56 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Wait - you're having a 6 p.m. wedding, NOT feeding your guests a full meal, but you and your FH are going out to dinner afterwards? If I were a guest attending a wedding like that, I'd probably be pretty offended that you felt it was more important for you to go eat dinner than me.

If you're having a 6 p.m. wedding, but can't afford to feed your guests a full meal, you really should either cut your guest list so you can afford a full meal, or change your wedding time. Going out to eat after an afternoon wedding/reception is a great idea. But Carrie's right - your guests will leave very quickly if they're left hungry at dinnertime.

Spike
Nov 22, 2011 at 6:06 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
their not going to be left hungry
the foods we have picked out is:
Hot wings
regular wings
lil smokies
meatballs
grilled and fried chicken
chocolate covered strawberries
cake of course
and prob more

their not leaving with a empty stomach, and my parents r paying for this, me and him r buying our own meal after we leave

Carrie
Nov 22, 2011 at 6:14 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
@ Morgan - I still would check with your venue to compare prices. To make enough of those items you listed to equal a meal may end up being more than trying to do a simple buffet. Hors d'oeuvres can be very labor intensive - it's one thing in the afternoon that each guest might only take 1 or 2 of each item but during a meal time they'll be expecting a much larger quantity.

Married: 09/29/2012
Nov 22, 2011 at 6:27 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I am doing the taco bar type thing, guests can eat 1, or 3, or 5 if they want! its still an easy and pretty affordable choice I think, but i do plan on having side items, and chips, salsa, queso also

ypu can figure it out! good luck :)
Nov 22, 2011 at 7:44 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
A 6:00 wedding means a 7:00 reception, right? These people are going to be starving. My partner could eat a dozen wings by himself, and he's not a big guy. No one is going to expect an hors d'oeuvre reception at that time of night.

Maybe add a pasta bar, a big salad bar or consider doing a simple sit down or buffet.

Danielle
Wedding: 04/16/2016
Nov 22, 2011 at 7:57 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I like Celia's idea of a pasta bar & salad bar
Login or Signup to post a comment!

Topics

Vow of Conduct