Prayers to all the families involed in the F/A 18 plane crash
an F/A 18 hornet crashed into an apartment complex earlier this afternoon in Va Beach Va shortly after take off. Both pilots ejected safely after dropping the fuel tanks. Here is the link on Yahoo http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/u-navy-jet-crashes-virginia-2-pilots-believed-174703258.html

Married: 03/16/2012
Reviews: 6
Posted On: Apr 6, 2012 at 3:05 PM • Vendors are allowed • Add to My WatchlistFlag As Inappropriate1 like

19 Comments | Login or Signup to post a comment!

Married: 2+ years ago
Reviews: 5
Apr 06, 2012 at 3:13 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
This has been very scary. FH and I live only a few blocks south of the crash site. On second I heard a jet taking off which is normal since the air base is close by, then the next I hear a loud boom noise. I had no idea what to think, I went outside and looked around and all I could see was black smoke in the air. As Mrs. Lemmon said, both pilots did eject and are in the hospital with non threatening injuries. The only reports of injuries besides the pilots have been non critical mostly smoke inhalation. So far no fatalities the police are still searching the buildings. Unfortunately this is all too possible for the residents of this area due to Naval Air Station Oceana being within 2 miles from the site.
My prayers go out to the pilots families and all families that lived in those apartments or have loved ones that live there.

Here is the link to the local news station that is covering the story.
http://www.wavy.com/dpp/news/local_news/va_beach/military-plane-crashes-in-virginia-beach

Apr 06, 2012 at 3:19 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
My cousin lives down there he was on his way to work when he saw all the fire trucks and other emergency vehicles flying down the highway...he is stationed at Norfolk hes in the Navy they aren't far from the air field at all..its scary knowing that this could happen at any time and nothing you can do..hopefully everyone on the ground is safe

Apr 06, 2012 at 3:35 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
here are some photos that have been placed online already.

Rubylee
Married: 02/12/2012
Reviews: 8
Apr 06, 2012 at 4:06 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I work 0.9 miles from where this happened and saw the smoke from work.

I also live 0.8 miles from the crash and FREAKED OUT about my place. My co-workers took me home and I got to check on my dog and bring him to work with me!

When I went to get my dog, I could smell the fuel, it was nauseating. My neighbor said the whole place shook. DH's job is working on getting us a place to stay tonight - we don't want to take any chances inhaling anything more..

Apr 06, 2012 at 4:18 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
i know how you feel Rubylee... our apt is 7-8 blocks south of that off va beach blvd.... and to think that could have been either of our homes. FH and I have been watching WAVY since it happened and they are saying how the pilot started dropping the fuel before the crash... so he must have realized something was wrong. at least he dropped as much fuel as possible otherwise the explosion could have been a lot worse. FH was driving by as it happened he said it looked like a scene out of a movie.

Apr 06, 2012 at 4:24 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
my cousin said they saw smoke coming from an engine and a possible wing issue...glad they dumped their fuel tanks or that whole building could have gone up in flames

Ab
Married: 10/29/2011
Apr 06, 2012 at 4:26 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Wow, ya I saw this on cnn.com; glad everyone is safe so far!
@Rubylee- that's great that your work let you bring your furbaby..I hope no other ones are in danger..

Rubylee
Apr 06, 2012 at 4:30 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I'm so glad the pilots are OK and that (to my knowledge) there are no deaths; I think they did a great job handling the situation.

This is TOO UNCANNY for me.. at about 5 o'clock yesterday I pulled up to my mom's house to pick her up for dinner. I got out of the car and saw a new's chopper hanging overhead so I ran inside to find out what's going on. A 20-year-old got shot in the head on his driveway less than half a mile from my mom's house. The shooter drove up, shot the man, got back in the car, and left!

These back-to-back incidents so close to me has got me on edge! If I was a paranoid superstitious person, I'd say the grim reaper was after me!

Married: 09/29/2012
Reviews: 1
Apr 06, 2012 at 4:31 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
it really is crazy, we have been glued to the tv all afternoon. I even got calls from family and I had to explain "yeah, Im like 10 miles from there"

i feel awful for everyone. Those pilots will live that guilt for the rest of their lives and this incident could be very damaging for our economy. The Navy has been saying for years that we shouldnt be building in the flight path, but we continue to do it.......they could use this incident to leave Hampton Roads.

Did you hear that 2 cars caught on fire at Trader Joes? that fuel went a decent distance.
Edited On: Apr 06, 2012 at 4:32 PM

Rubylee
Apr 06, 2012 at 4:31 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
@Ab, some of my co-workers know, but the Director and a few of the big wigs don't know, yet. It's a good thing my "son" is SO QUIET and well behaved [: he's just laying at my feet.

I read parts of an article that read that the owner of the apartment complex survived but her pets may have not ]:

Apr 06, 2012 at 4:34 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
its highly doubtful that the air station will leave unless they close Norfolk down and then it will still take a while to close the air field...When they closed the Navy yard in Philly as we call it...it took years before Willow Grove was closed

Apr 06, 2012 at 4:35 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
so far no deaths, last i heard there were 6 or 7 people taken to the hospital, both of the pilots whose conditions have not been given other than non critical, and the other 4 or 5 were only taken in due to excess smoke inhalation.
they news is saying that the hospital is not going to give out the conditions of the pilots, they will wait for the Navy to release that.

and thats crazy about yesterday Rubylee

Apr 06, 2012 at 4:38 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
@Blair, i know how you feel... since i heard the boom and was outside talking to neighbors i have had wavy on nonstop.... and i never watch the news! LOL

Married: 09/29/2012
Reviews: 1
Apr 06, 2012 at 4:39 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
oh, no im not talking about the entire station leaving but every year we are threatened with a SQUADRON leaving :-( I see it all the time at work. Every time a developer submits an application to build something in VB, the Navy attaches a letter begging the City Council to not let them build it.

The idea of the pets being killed is really getting to me.

OMG Rubylee~where were you? thats super scary.

Edited On: Apr 06, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Apr 06, 2012 at 4:41 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Yeah i dont see them ever shutting Oceana down... that seems about as likely as them closing Norfolk down

Mrs. J-Mo
Married: 07/21/2012
Reviews: 11
Apr 06, 2012 at 10:04 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Hi my Hampton Roads fam! This was unfortunate.... I live in Portsmouth, so I didnt see anything, but i am praying for everyone involved...

Brittany
Married: 09/22/2012
Apr 06, 2012 at 10:26 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I'm right down the street as well, it was a VERY sad event :( when i saw all the people on the news helping the fire fighters with carrying the hose I was so touched. oh and hello to all my fellow hampton roads brides :)

Apr 06, 2012 at 10:54 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
All I can say is that it's a miracle there were no serious injuries or deaths....

Rubylee
Apr 07, 2012 at 11:30 AM • Flag As Inappropriate
Just tossing in an update:

My slow self looked up how far the crash was to my job and home by driving distance. I actually work 0.5 mi from the crash and live 0.3 mi from the crash site.

DH's job looked up residents within a half mile of the crash and put as at a Town Center hotel for two nights, that was very generous of them.

I've only been home to grab stuff for the stay. Will go back tomorrow and check things out.. I've heard there's nothing to worry about as far as breathing anything or using our water - but I'm still nervous.

Hi fellow HR brides [:
Login or Signup to post a comment!

Topics

Vow of Conduct