Pasta Reception "Okay" or "Tacky" / "Cheap"?
I want to do a pasta buffet reception because (1) I'm a runner and can't get enough carbs, (2) Our guests are mostly middle-aged & older Asian family members who are less likely to appreciate "American" foods, and at least from my experience, pasta seems to be pretty "safe" and enjoyed by most people in the US today, and (3) From experience planning too many events in college, you never need nearly as much food as caterers ask of you, so rather than get stuck with a caterer who prepares foods & charges per person, I'd rather under-order by their standards (but still over-order from mine, just in case) to minimize wastage of both money & food. We're planning on ordering party platters from a fave restaurant & some appetizers from fave stores.

However, my fiancé thinks pasta is "cheap," and while he's okay with serving it for all of the above reasons, he's concerned what people will think.

Just wondering whether you think this is okay or if we should go for a more traditional menu :)

pianoNYK
Married: 2+ years ago
Reviews: 8
Posted On: Jan 23, 2009 at 8:57 PM • Vendors are allowed • Add to My WatchlistFlag As Inappropriate1 like

12 Comments | Login or Signup to post a comment!

valeriezacutie
Married: 02/14/2009
Reviews: 5
Jan 23, 2009 at 9:04 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
i think its a good plan but u should still include a meat im italian & love pasta but i cant stand to just have it without some kind of meat. you just need one like maybe chicken or sausage which both work well with pasta

JessicaLyn
Reviews: 1
Jan 23, 2009 at 10:09 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I do not think it is cheap. I think it is a great idea, many weddings have pasta, mexican etc. :) I do agree that if you can add some meat to the menu that would be a great idea.

As far as "traditional" I say forget it and do it your way. That is what we are doing :) Congrats and good luck.

pianoNYK
Reviews: 8
Jan 23, 2009 at 10:14 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Yay, thanks! I was planning on having some sort of chicken dish, lasagna (my fave), spaghetti & meatballs/meatsauce (the siblings' fave), maybe some type of seafood pasta dish, and maybe one more "main" course so as to accommodate people who don't like cheese, allergies, etc.

JessicaLyn
Reviews: 1
Jan 23, 2009 at 10:16 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I think your idea is great! Sounds yummy and not cheap or tacky at all :)

Married: 1+ year ago
Jan 23, 2009 at 10:17 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Personally I love the idea especially if you're on a tight budget. I'm thinking of doing that actually as my Rehearsal Dinner since my hubby is set on our Crawfish Boil/BBQ. You can make pasta as dressed up or as casual as you want. I even thought of doing the pasta and leaving it plain and letting our guests at our Rehearsal Dinner choose between plain or meat sauce or even Alfredo, and offering chicken, and doing something like Meatballs in sauce on the side for those who like their extra meat, and maybe even offering Ravioli or Lasagna. It's easy, cheaper than pizza. Truthfully if that makes life simple for you and have something that everyone will eat, then why not? Who doesn't love pasta?

Jan 23, 2009 at 10:17 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
It's also funny you bring this topic up on a night where I just ate pasta for dinner:)
Jan 24, 2009 at 12:22 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
Some of the best food we've seen at weddings have been pasta dishes. I'd say GO FOR IT! :) I love the idea of including one with chicken or some other meat as well.

Married: 04/18/2009
Jan 24, 2009 at 12:32 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
pasta is a great option. it is cheap, but it doesn't look cheap and it goes a long way. that's what we're doing. no one is going to think anything of it except for that it's good (which i hope that it is!). my mom's coworker's daughter got married and they had like 5 different kinds of pasta and it went over great!

Jan 24, 2009 at 7:31 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
My Grandparents years ago at their 25th Anniversary (she's remarried) had her Anniversary Party at a Maggiano's Little Italy Restaurant and served pasta dishes family style, and it was the best. Think of it this way by serving pasta, you can accomodate those who like their extra meat, you can accomodate the Vegetarians, and it's also kid friendly if there are any kids in your Wedding or being invited to your Wedding. It's a happy medium, just if you serve Garlic Bread, or even the garlic itself in the pasta sauce, make sure plenty of breath mints are on hand:)

Married: 04/10/2010
Reviews: 5
Jan 25, 2009 at 3:19 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
i think it is a great idea, but would suggest having one non pasta dish because their are a lot of people who either have allergies to wheat or cant have the carbs so you may want an alternative for them

studio-g-occasions

studio G occasions
Jan 26, 2009 at 4:16 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
The coppery wedding pictured on my storefront portfolio had two kinds of pasta & it didn't look cheap at all. Here's what we did - caesar salad plated & served with bread, dishes were cleared, then out came pasta with sausage, white beans and a creamy tomato sauce and a pasta primavera that was vegetarian (but not vegan) served family style. THe menu suited the not only the decor, but also the venue which had a warm tuscan feel. It felt luxe because everyone could eat as much or as little as they wanted, plus people had to engage with each other to pass the bowls. Wine was on every table, with Pellegrino, coffee & tea availble at a separate station. As a bonus, the meal was fairly inexpensive - excellent for a party of 200. AND it was able to spread far enough to cover the 20 or so guests who showed up unexpectedly. That's why your caterer's estimate is higher than you think - better to have too much than not enough. You can bring them to the local fire station or shelter.)

May2010Bride
Married: 05/15/2010
Jan 26, 2009 at 7:24 PM • Flag As Inappropriate
I love the pasta idea. We are in the process of looking at a country club that part of their "food choices" is pasta and salad bar for only 6.95 a head. Grant you, I'm in WV and being from NJ originally I know this is very cheap. We are working into also have a mozzerella stick platter and garlic bread. The pasta is two types of noodles to pick from and two sauces (marinara or alfredo).
So I say "Viva La Pasta" and go for it. Kathy
Login or Signup to post a comment!

Topics

Vow of Conduct